PDA

View Full Version : Artwork exclusive to 1935 Goudey (4 in 1 set)

thatkidfromjerrymaguire
06-24-2021, 04:10 PM
I'm an admitted fan of the 1935 Goudey (4 in 1) set. However, I know there are some obvious reasons it is a less popular set (smaller, four images on one card, no Gehrig, etc.). And I know a big complaint is that MOST of the images are reused from the more popular 1933 and 1934 Goudey sets. Such as the Babe Ruth card re-using the 1933 card 181 image.

However, I was curious that if MOST of the images are reused, that means SOME of the images must be unique to the 1935 set. So I did some exhaustive research (and by that I mean I just searched images for every player in the 1935 set) and came up with the list.

It turns out that there are ELEVEN players that have artwork exclusive to 1935 Goudey. I'm only counting players where the artwork is completely unique...there are numerous instances where there were some background color changes, logo changes, etc. but you could tell the same basic image was used in 1933 or 1934. I'm NOT counting those.

So you heard it here first...these eleven images can ONLY be found in 1935 Goudey...so NOW maybe the set will gain a little more respect :)

Here is the list of names:

Cy Blanton
Zeke Bonura
Gilly Campbell
Ivan Goodman
Rollie Hemsley
Clarence Bubber Jonnard (and from what I could find, this 1935 Goudey is the ONLY baseball card that Clarence ever appeared on)
Alex Kampouris
Bill Knickerbocker
Billy Meyers
Tommy Padden
"Schoolboy" Rowe

Here is a collage of all these distinguished portraits:

Interesting fact, FOUR of those players are actually on ONE of the 4 in 1 cards....Campbell, Meyers, Goodman, Kampouris. Due to this insight, I now expect this card to SKYROCKET in value :) (although, I hope it doesn't, because I don't own it yet :) )

So there we go. Useless trivia to be sure...but it was fun to track this down. Hopefully someone else will find this enjoyable.

Happy collecting everyone!

John

G1911
06-24-2021, 04:28 PM
Quality researching, pretty cool that 4 of them appear on one card. I only have a couple beater 1935’s as type cards, hadn’t realized any of the images were actually new.

brianp-beme
06-24-2021, 05:57 PM
Fun seeing all the players...perhaps someone with advanced computer skills can create some cool fantasy 1934 cards of them that feature just an individual player.

I was pretty sure I had posted about this very subject many years ago on net54, but after about 30 minutes effort I could not find it. Thanks for sharing. I still have my handwritten list that indicates these hallowed players that I created in 2012. Shame on me if I actually did not post it (slaps hand with graded card for emphasis).

Here is the other card that has more than one 'Goudey rookie' player (Padden and Blanton).

Brian (card not mine)

spec
06-24-2021, 07:38 PM
John,
Thanks for the thorough research and interesting post! You'll be happy to hear that Claude Jonnard (who played only 1 game for the Phillies in 1935) actually has an earlier card in the 1922 W503 set, when he was with the Pirates. That's one of my favorite sets . . . and I still need Jonnard, among others.

thatkidfromjerrymaguire
06-25-2021, 06:15 AM
Fun seeing all the players...perhaps someone with advanced computer skills can create some cool fantasy 1934 cards of them that feature just an individual player.

I was pretty sure I had posted about this very subject many years ago on net54, but after about 30 minutes effort I could not find it. Thanks for sharing. I still have my handwritten list that indicates these hallowed players that I created in 2012. Shame on me if I actually did not post it (slaps hand with graded card for emphasis).

Here is the other card that has more than one 'Goudey rookie' player (Padden and Blanton).

Brian (card not mine)

Oh, I like the term “Goudey Rookie”. Finding the Goudey Rookie of all players would be another fun (and more time consuming) project. I wonder, would premiums count?

Before I dedicated myself to this important research I did a Net54 search to see if someone had already made a thread about it, and I couldn’t find anything either. So if you made a post, it must be buried DEEP in the Net54 archives.

And good point about Padden and Blanton sharing a card. Once this thread goes viral and this info is widely known, that’s another card that will explode in value. Inve$t! :)

thatkidfromjerrymaguire
06-25-2021, 06:24 AM
John,
Thanks for the thorough research and interesting post! You'll be happy to hear that Claude Jonnard (who played only 1 game for the Phillies in 1935) actually has an earlier card in the 1922 W503 set, when he was with the Pirates. That's one of my favorite sets . . . and I still need Jonnard, among others.

That’s interesting about another Jonnard card. I found cards for everyone else on the list (diamond stars, 1936 Goudey, 1938 Goudey heads up, premiums, etc.). But for Jonnard I came up empty.

But sure enough, I just found an image of that card. I guess I didn’t go back far enough. Also, there don’t seem to be too many w503 cards in general on eBay…that must be a TOUGH set to build!

Leon
06-27-2021, 03:51 PM
Nice thread, guys. My only 4-1 Goudey, a boomerang from my first collection. Thanks BST again....

https://luckeycards.com/pr321goudeyruth.jpg

jason.1969
12-26-2022, 09:14 PM
The most comprehensive article on this set, which indeed crosswalks the art of all cards to prior Goudey sets (minus the eleven new guys) is here.

Vintage and Classic Baseball Collector, Dec 1995, by Gerald Glasser.

https://allvintagecards.com/puzzling-1935-goudey-set/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatkidfromjerrymaguire
01-03-2023, 09:21 AM
The most comprehensive article on this set, which indeed crosswalks the art of all cards to prior Goudey sets (minus the eleven new guys) is here.

Vintage and Classic Baseball Collector, Dec 1995, by Gerald Glasser.

https://allvintagecards.com/puzzling-1935-goudey-set/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, thanks for the info. Funny thing is that I have come accross that article before, but I completely missed the table talking about the reused artwork. If I had known that existed, I wouldn't have spent all the time I did cross referencing eBay and looking up all the pictures.

I did just now cross reference my findings with the info in that table, and I'm happy to say the data matched...the eleven players I identified with new artwork were the same that were identified in that 1995 article. I was just 25+ years late with my findings :)

jayshum
01-03-2023, 05:38 PM
John, never a bad idea to confirm what you find online. :)