PDA

View Full Version : T206 Distribution- Dumb Rookie Question

tulsaboy
06-21-2021, 09:09 AM
OK, So I'm acknowledging this is a dumb rookie question, and it may have been answered in detail elsewhere. If so, simply point me in a direction and I will go read. But here is my question:
How truly "national" was T206 distribution? Was it solely an east coast thing? Just east and west coasts? Could you get it them in cigarette packs in Chicago, for example? Cleveland? Cincinnati? St. Louis? I'm in Tulsa, and we only got statehood in 1907, and the "big" cities of Oklahoma City and Tulsa were pretty tiny when T206s were distributed. So I'm not betting that they showed up here. But what about other mid-sized cities that were not coastal? And what about the west coast? Were these appearing in Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.?
Thanks!
kevin

swarmee
06-21-2021, 10:02 AM
Since they were embedded in cigarette packs, they were pretty much available everywhere cigarettes were sold. Now some brands may have only been available regionally based on taste or distribution, but I would figure every region got the Piedmonts or Sweet Caporals.

Lobo Aullando
06-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Before someone else chimes in with a more complete T206 history, I'll point out that it's more than just that set.

There was some some degree of regional nature to the brands, for example, Drum being mostly around the St. Louis area. Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, and Polar Bear were the most widespread, if I'm remembering correctly, although still east of the Rockies.

Old Mill was more in the South, and so that's why SL cards are found in that brand, as well as having their own separate set with only SL players, the T210s. The T211 Red Suns use the T210 photos from the last series and were distributed mostly in Louisiana. There are other Louisiana brands that are pretty rare (and I'd love it if somebody could connect them to ATC for me since I'm struggling to find the connections myself.)

With the T212 Obaks covering the PCL and NWL, the American Tobacco company got fairly close to national coverage.

Yoda
06-21-2021, 11:32 AM
Don't forget in those days the West Coast stopped in St. Louis.

tulsaboy
06-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the replies! That helps a little. Sounds like it was certainly possible for cigarette purchasers to find cards wherever those brands were sold, but for the most part it was east of the Mississippi.
kevin

Casey2296
06-22-2021, 10:03 AM
Don't forget in those days the West Coast stopped in St. Louis.
We had our own thing with N321's, Monos, and Obaks.

Bobbycee
06-22-2021, 11:50 PM
OK, So I'm acknowledging this is a dumb rookie question, and it may have been answered in detail elsewhere. If so, simply point me in a direction and I will go read. But here is my question:
How truly "national" was T206 distribution? Was it solely an east coast thing? Just east and west coasts? Could you get it them in cigarette packs in Chicago, for example? Cleveland? Cincinnati? St. Louis? I'm in Tulsa, and we only got statehood in 1907, and the "big" cities of Oklahoma City and Tulsa were pretty tiny when T206s were distributed. So I'm not betting that they showed up here. But what about other mid-sized cities that were not coastal? And what about the west coast? Were these appearing in Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.?
Thanks!
kevin

It's actually a very good question Kevin. I hope you're collecting T206 & have fun putting the set together. This is a great forum to be part of with many knowledgeable people to answer any of your questions. Welcome aboard!

oldeboo
06-23-2021, 09:21 AM
If trade was occurring where people smoked cigarettes, T206 cards were probably found. Around 1910 the use of trains would have still been the primary means of delivery. Much like people, goods would have been concentrated around railroad lines. With a quick search there are mentions of Sweet Caporal cigarettes in Oklahoma City in 1909. Many other examples can probably be found. Below is a 1910 advertisement from El Paso, which is the furthest west you can go in Texas. Also below, is a neat image related to trains and the trading of goods from an Oklahoma newspaper in 1909.