PDA

View Full Version : Driving a very long distance with vintage cards in hot weather

cardsagain74
05-28-2021, 10:43 AM
Has anyone ever driven with vintage sportscards in the car for a long trip (i.e. across the country) during summer heat and humidity? If so, how did it go with them stored either inside the car and/or the trunk?

Naturally heat and humidity is awful for them for general storage, but I wondered what the chances were of anything happening in less than a week like that.

I doubt it, but I'd be taking some valuable stuff that I don't want to take any chance of ruining that way

maniac_73
05-28-2021, 10:45 AM
Ive had my vintage in a hot humid garage for months at a time and they've been fine. I wouldnt worry about it

ASF123
05-28-2021, 10:49 AM
Has anyone ever driven with vintage sportscards in the car for a long trip (i.e. across the country) during summer heat and humidity? If so, how did it go with them stored either inside the car and/or the trunk?

Naturally heat and humidity is awful for them for general storage, but I wondered what the chances were of anything happening in less than a week like that.

I doubt it, but I'd be taking some valuable stuff that I don't want to take any chance of ruining that wayIf you’re pitching a road trip movie concept, I don’t think it’s gonna get picked up :p.

cardsagain74
05-28-2021, 10:53 AM
If you’re pitching a road trip movie concept, I don’t think it’s gonna get picked up :p.

I write pretty well but I don't think I could make that interesting, even to collecting weirdos like us.

"A hitchhiker gets picked up and gets off with a '57T Mantle" (and the crowd roars) :rolleyes:

packs
05-28-2021, 11:09 AM
I drove both ways when I moved from NYC to SF and back. My cards were in my safe inside the back of the U-Haul. I moved in June both times. No issues at all.

bbnut
05-28-2021, 12:21 PM
I write pretty well but I don't think I could make that interesting, even to collecting weirdos like us.

"A hitchhiker gets picked up and gets off with a '57T Mantle" (and the crowd roars) :rolleyes:The hitchhiker is 21 year old Mickey Mantle who happens to have boxes of those new baseball cards that some company named "Topps" put out this year (1952) and some sample cards of his that he is willing to trade you for a ride to Missouri.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jcmtiger
05-28-2021, 12:54 PM
I drove from Michigan to Las Vegas & back to Michican 5 years later towing uhaul trailer. No issues. Joe

cardsagain74
05-28-2021, 01:36 PM
Thanks Packs and Joe.

That's what I figured; knew that any concern was likely a huge stretch. But would rather sound a little silly and get that confirmation (than chance any disasters from unexpected consequences) :)

BobbyStrawberry
05-28-2021, 01:38 PM
If you’re pitching a road trip movie concept, I don’t think it’s gonna get picked up :p.

Lol

egri
05-28-2021, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about the heat and humidity as much as I would about theft. It sounds like this trip will take a few nights; is it feasible to bring the cards into the hotel with you?

DaveW
05-28-2021, 02:30 PM
I agree. I would worry a lot more about theft. Maybe store them in something nobody would want like an old Twinkies box. On second thought, that might be the first thing stolen in some parts of the country.

Jewish-collector
05-28-2021, 03:27 PM
It might depend on your definition of "valuable" vintage sportscards for the trip ? Would that be cards worth $5000 ? $50,000 ? $500,000 ? $5 million ?

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-28-2021, 05:37 PM
It might depend on your definition of "valuable" vintage sportscards for the trip ? Would that be cards worth $5000 ? $50,000 ? $500,000 ? $5 million ?

Also where will you be stopping at night, does your car have an alarm, and are you a heavy sleeper? Just making conversation of course...

cardsagain74
05-28-2021, 06:05 PM
Also where will you be stopping at night, does your car have an alarm, and are you a heavy sleeper? Just making conversation of course...

I'll send you at itemized schedule (just cause I know you're concerned) ;)

The theft risk doesn't bother me too much, especially since no one will be able to see anything that looks interesting in the car (except for the Twinkies noted above, obv).

Though taking stuff inside isn't much of an option since there's still some bulk. Lugging a few boxes into hotels would probably catch wandering eyes a lot more anyway.

Considered shipping everything out here too, but of course that has its own risks. I may just split the difference and ship some/take some.

chalupacollects
05-28-2021, 07:02 PM
If you are concerned about the heat and humidity issue you can get a few Apache 3800 cases from Harbor Freight. Solid and waterproof, pad-lockable also. They have a valve you can tighten to seal out air and water, humidity.. Filled they are maybe 20 pounds and you can chain them together for security. (Pretty awkward to try and carry 3 or 4 of them chained together as a thief.) Leaving Twinkies visible as a deterrent would be helpful. Ring Dings better if you can find them...