PDA

View Full Version : Full House at the Rangers game right now

Shoeless Moe
04-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Gotta love that!

FREE MLB network through 4/8

Jason19th
04-05-2021, 02:55 PM
No you don’t. It is irresponsible and conflicts with all accepted science.

honus94566
04-05-2021, 03:19 PM

Yes, he does. Refer to his original post. It's pretty clear, actually.

Your opinion is just that, your opinion. It's no more or less important than his.

abothebear
04-05-2021, 03:20 PM
It’s great that they are letting healthy people decide what they want to do with their lives. What a strange idea.

Casey2296
04-05-2021, 03:24 PM
Every thread needs a card.
-

slightlyrounded
04-05-2021, 04:00 PM
Every thread needs a card.
-

Agreed, but in keeping with the theme of the thread our subject should be convalescencing!

brianp-beme
04-05-2021, 04:24 PM
I like this one of Ted getting swallowed up by the quicksand at the edge of a toxic waste pit.

Brian

wazoo
04-05-2021, 04:42 PM
I like potatoes

ullmandds
04-05-2021, 04:45 PM
I like potatoes

I LOVE potatoes!!!!

keithsky
04-05-2021, 04:47 PM
MLB wants to move the all-star game because of the voting right and take there stand on it but they don't care about 40,000 fans shoulder to shoulder and most without masks spreading covid. Wow strange world.

edjs
04-05-2021, 04:56 PM
I like potatoes

I’m making potatoes right now.

bnorth
04-05-2021, 05:08 PM
I like potatoes

I LOVE potatoes!!!!

I’m making potatoes right now.

You guys are jerks.:D;)

I love me some mashed potatoes and gravy but my darn diabetes says otherwise.:(

At least think of me when eating your delicious taters.:)

edjs
04-05-2021, 05:10 PM
You guys are jerks.:D;)

I love me some mashed potatoes and gravy but my darn diabetes says otherwise.:(

At least think of me when eating your delicious taters.:)

Do potatoes affect diabetes? I did not know that.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-05-2021, 05:14 PM
We ain't skeered in Texas. :) Living life to the fullest with our masks on.

One 'ol Cat
04-05-2021, 05:15 PM
I like potatoes

You say potato, I say Saboto....

...let's call the whole thing off...

mrreality68
04-05-2021, 05:17 PM
I prefer to eat healthy so my potato is baked with butter, shredded cheese, and extra bacon bits.

MCyganik
04-05-2021, 06:45 PM
Who needs a mask when you can wear shades :cool:

http://sports-glutton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Bob-Jones-Texas-Rangers-Baseball-Card-IMG_2046.jpg

Johnny630
04-05-2021, 07:01 PM
God bless texas !!!!

Tom S.
04-05-2021, 08:20 PM
I like potatoes

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/56561261.jpg

BillyCoxDodgers3B
04-05-2021, 08:21 PM
When giving your opinion of a potatoe, your full name must be posted per the rules.

Dan Quayle

Casey2296
04-05-2021, 08:33 PM
When giving your opinion of a potatoe, your full name must be posted per the rules.

Dan Quayle

I knew John Kennedy, he was my friend and you Sir are no John Kennedy.
-

Stampsfan
04-05-2021, 11:38 PM
Who needs a mask when you can wear shades :cool:

http://sports-glutton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Bob-Jones-Texas-Rangers-Baseball-Card-IMG_2046.jpg

Wow. The future's so bright (in Texas), I gotta wear shades...

YankeeCollector
04-08-2021, 06:28 AM
it’s great that they are letting healthy people decide what they want to do with their lives. What a strange idea.

100%

FrankWakefield
04-08-2021, 06:48 AM
0%

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 06:52 AM

Are you talking about the same science that said they "have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission" of the Coronavirus? That science?

Jason19th
04-08-2021, 07:02 AM
Are you talking about the same science that said they "have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission" of the Coronavirus? That science?

No, I am talking about the peer reviewed and rigorous study that has been done by the Centers for Disease Control over the last year plus. I am talking about the studies that have been completed by world renown Universities in America and Europe. I am not talking about a self serving statement made early in an outbreak by a totalitarian government.
Let’s stop pretending that this is a political or even disputed issue. Covid is an airborne virus that is spread by droplets. We are within a couple months of widespread immunity and transmission will drop. Why can’t we just wait a bit more and finish the job. Baseball can be done much more safely than Texas is deciding to do. A small sacrifice of having 25% capacity would have a huge impact.

I am not asking for the world to close. I am not asking to close many business. I agree with the science that says that most kids should be back in person. All I am asking is that we don’t pack 50,000 people into a stadium for a couple of months

Jason Mishelow

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 07:13 AM
We are within a couple months of widespread immunity and transmission will drop.

We're also about 13 months past "two weeks to flatten the curve."

You do what you feel is right for yourself. Nobody will fault you for that. But let others do what they feel is right for themselves too...including going to ball games. If you don't want to go, don't go. But don't call other people irresponsible because they want to go. Is someone criticizing you for doing what you want to do? I'm guessing not. So why are you doing it to others? Who are you that only your opinion matters?

packs
04-08-2021, 07:19 AM
I think it's natural for people to worry for themselves. The pandemic has taught us that other people's actions can have consequences for you re: getting sick. That's why they call events that people attended in the past super spreader events. They affected people who weren't there.

Jason19th
04-08-2021, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=vintagetoppsguy;2090800]We're also about 13 months past "two weeks to flatten the curve

That was never science, that was wishful thinking. That did not come from scientist.

drmondobueno
04-08-2021, 07:47 AM
Gotta love that!

FREE MLB network through 4/8

I’ve forgotten what 40,000 people look like, living here in a podunk town of 1700. As for potatoes, I prefer burritos. Made from locally grown beans, meat, cheese and locally sourced corn masa. Need a salad? Add some romaine, red onion, tomato and fresh jalapeno. Pile it on, pile it in, take your B P meds.

bnorth
04-08-2021, 08:01 AM
I’ve forgotten what 40,000 people look like, living here in a podunk town of 1700. As for potatoes, I prefer burritos. Made from locally grown beans, meat, cheese and locally sourced corn masa. Need a salad? Add some romaine, red onion, tomato and fresh jalapeno. Pile it on, pile it in, take your B P meds.

That sounds like a great salad. In a few months I will be making those with fresh produce from the garden.:D

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 08:06 AM
That was never science, that was wishful thinking. That did not come from scientist.

I agree with you here. But isn't "We are within a couple months of widespread immunity and transmission will drop" wishful thinking too? Where is the science to back this up?

A good percentage of people won't get the vaccination. I won't. I'm not trying to disparage anyone that does, but I just don't understand why someone would inject themselves with something with so little testing? :confused: I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I just don't think enough testing has been conducted.

You have a company like Johnson and Johnson that just two years ago paid out nearly $4B to settle cancer lawsuits from their baby powder. Come on! These guys can't even safely make baby powder and folks are going to trust them with a vaccine? Yeah, good luck with that.

And not to mention that none of the vaccines are 100% effective. I think we're a long way off from widespread immunity and a drop in transmission. So, I can either let fear take over, or go about living my life as normal. I choose the latter...just like those fans at the baseball game.

MattyC
04-08-2021, 08:17 AM

This is such a specious post. Using the logic on display here, we can cite any number of positions held by doctors/scientists in the past, going back centuries, and use that as a reason to call them wrong and foolish today. But we all know that knowledge evolves. Things we didn't know on Day X, especially about novel subjects, we come to learn in Day X +++.

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 08:33 AM
This is such a specious post. Using the logic on display here, we can cite any number of positions held by doctors/scientists in the past, going back centuries, and use that as a reason to call them wrong and foolish today. But we all know that knowledge evolves. Things we didn't know on Day X, especially about novel subjects, we come to learn in Day X +++.

Yeah, but the fact of the matter is that we're not going back centuries; we're only going back a little over a year. Nice try though. You get an E for effort.

mr2686
04-08-2021, 08:43 AM
I am a potato!

dstudeba
04-08-2021, 09:57 AM
Yeah, but the fact of the matter is that we're not going back centuries; we're only going back a little over a year. Nice try though. You get an E for effort.

You are the one who started with a deliberately misleading post. Yes it is a little over a year, but in terms of the amount of research that had been at the time and the amount of research that has been done since it is a huge amount of time. But that doesn't fit your agenda so you will disregard it.

I don't give a flying flip if you get the vaccine or go to a baseball game or do whatever makes you feel good. This isn't about my views on Covid, it is an objection to your cherry picking scientific examples to meet your needs.

AustinMike
04-08-2021, 10:15 AM
You do what you feel is right for yourself. Nobody will fault you for that. But let others do what they feel is right for themselves too...including going to ball games. If you don't want to go, don't go. But don't call other people irresponsible because they want to go. Is someone criticizing you for doing what you want to do? I'm guessing not. So why are you doing it to others? Who are you that only your opinion matters?

What I feel is right for me is to go speeding around in my car while drunk. Good to know that nobody will fault me for that. :rolleyes:

bnorth
04-08-2021, 10:23 AM
What I feel is right for me is to go speeding around in my car while drunk. Good to know that nobody will fault me for that. :rolleyes:

I have been thinking about taking up drinking again so I can do that. If I remember right it was a lot of fun in high school.

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 10:35 AM
You are the one who started with a deliberately misleading post. Yes it is a little over a year, but in terms of the amount of research that had been at the time and the amount of research that has been done since it is a huge amount of time. But that doesn't fit your agenda so you will disregard it.

I don't give a flying flip if you get the vaccine or go to a baseball game or do whatever makes you feel good. This isn't about my views on Covid, it is an objection to your cherry picking scientific examples to meet your needs.

You missed the point of my post, so let me make it a little more clear for you. I'm tired of being told that we need to listen to science...the same science that is constantly changing. I only gave one example of that, but if you would you like others so I don't seem to be cherry picking or come across as misleading then I can certainly provide them.

My entire point was this. People need to stop telling others to listen to science and let people do their own thing...and not criticize them or call them irresponsible for doing so. Just remember, this "science" is from the same brilliant minds (:rolleyes:) that tell us we should double mask, but are photographed at a baseball game without their mask.

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 10:37 AM

Let me reword it for the mentally impaired. If people aren't breaking any laws or causing intentional harm to others, they should be left alone to do their own thing.

Huysmans
04-08-2021, 10:40 AM

Exactly.
Please do it in poor driving conditions at high speed around a number of large and solid brick walls, and preferably with the car loaded with like-minded simpletons.

dstudeba
04-08-2021, 11:07 AM
You missed the point of my post, so let me make it a little more clear for you. I'm tired of being told that we need to listen to science...the same science that is constantly changing. I only gave one example of that, but if you would you like others so I don't seem to be cherry picking or come across as misleading then I can certainly provide them.

My entire point was this. People need to stop telling others to listen to science and let people do their own thing...and not criticize them or call them irresponsible for doing so. Just remember, this "science" is from the same brilliant minds (:rolleyes:) that tell us we should double mask, but are photographed at a baseball game without their mask.

Yes science constantly evolves, I would hope that people engaging in science learn something from their experiments and observations and push our knowledge forward. This is not a bad thing.

My point is that you have an agenda and you use specific cherry picked examples to push that agenda. When current science doesn't back up what you want you disparage it. When you want to use science to back up what you say you tout that you hold a water license from the State of Texas.

You want to get back to your life, we all do. Just say that and you live in a place where you can do that. You don't need to disparage science to be able to do it.

As I said before I don't care. There are 3 results I see

1) You don't get covid
2) You get covid and survive
3) You get covid and die

As long as you don't spread it to others, I don't care. You do you.

AustinMike
04-08-2021, 11:07 AM

It's also good to know that since I don't call people who don't want to drive drunk irresponsible, they shouldn't call me irresponsible for wanting to drive drunk. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let me reword it for the mentally impaired. If people aren't breaking any laws or causing intentional harm to others, they should be left alone to do their own thing.

Driving drunk isn't causing intentional harm to others. It's just a side product ... collateral damage. A law was passed to make it illegal to drive drunk because of that potential collateral damage (not every drunk driving escapade ends with someone being injured or killed). People gathering in large crowds during a pandemic without masks and social distancing can create a side product ... collateral damage. There is a potential for people to pass the virus to others who then pass it to others. Potentially, some people may get very sick and even die.

Are people who drive drunk irresponsible?
Are people who gather in a large crowd without masks during a pandemic irresponsible?

Gnep31
04-08-2021, 11:19 AM

Respectfully you are comparing apples to oranges. In your example you would be breaking the law. There is no law stating anyone has to get injected with a vaccine....especially one we are crossing our fingers and hoping works.

I have fingers crossed on both hands and I pray it works, but knowing a little bit about pharma I'm not holding my breath and I certainly won't be their guinea pig.

I could also potentially spread the common flu or cold in which susceptible individuals could die from. Are you advocating for making it law that anyone who is sick cannot go out into public?

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Yes science constantly evolves, I would hope that people engaging in science learn something from their experiments and observations and push our knowledge forward. This is not a bad thing.

My point is that you have an agenda and you use specific cherry picked examples to push that agenda. When current science doesn't back up what you want you disparage it. When you want to use science to back up what you say you tout that you hold a water license from the State of Texas.

You want to get back to your life, we all do. Just say that and you live in a place where you can do that. You don't need to disparage science to be able to do it.

As I said before I don't care. There are 3 results I see

1) You don't get covid
2) You get covid and survive
3) You get covid and die

As long as you don't spread it to others, I don't care. You do you.

Wow, you're hard headed. Once again, all I am saying is that as long as people aren't breaking any laws or intentionally causing harm to others, they should be left alone to do their own thing. My original post came after someone else disparaged others for wanting to go to a baseball game.

You're conditioned to the government solving all your problems, aren't you? Yeah, I can tell.

Oscar_Stanage
04-08-2021, 11:29 AM
I wear a mask because it is common sense to do so. I do not need a scientific study to prove or disprove whether or not this is effective.

I will listen to science as soon as it becomes consistent, regardless of political affiliation.

AustinMike
04-08-2021, 12:14 PM
Respectfully you are comparing apples to oranges. In your example you would be breaking the law. There is no law stating anyone has to get injected with a vaccine....especially one we are crossing our fingers and hoping works.

I could also potentially spread the common flu or cold in which susceptible individuals could die from. Are you advocating for making it law that anyone who is sick cannot go out into public?

Actually it is apples to apples. You, unfortunately, let vintagetoppsguy sidetrack you. The discussion was about calling a certain behavior irresponsible.

Ask yourself this, if it weren't against the law to drive while drunk, would you? Would you consider that responsible behavior?

Nowhere in my response do I advocate for creating any laws.

I do consider driving while drunk irresponsible.
I do consider going to a packed baseball game during a pandemic without proper safety protocols irresponsible.
I do consider going out in public while active with the flu to be irresponsible.

What's wrong with calling drunk drivers irresponsible?
What's wrong with calling people who go to a packed baseball game during a pandemic irresponsible?
What's wrong with calling people who knowingly go out in public while they have the flu irresponsible?

Who got their panties in a twist and became the PC Police? ;)

bnorth
04-08-2021, 12:53 PM
We are way past the required card picture.

Then the other is the second best advice my Grandpa ever gave me. First is if you are so high you think you can fly. Try it from the ground first.:D

ajjohnsonsoxfan
04-08-2021, 12:54 PM
oh my bad...wrong thread...haha Ben you beat me to it

DHogan
04-08-2021, 01:33 PM
I like naps. :D

Casey2296
04-08-2021, 01:37 PM
I like naps. :D
-
Here's a Nap
-

Mark17
04-08-2021, 01:54 PM
Actually it is apples to apples. You, unfortunately, let vintagetoppsguy sidetrack you. The discussion was about calling a certain behavior irresponsible.

Ask yourself this, if it weren't against the law to drive while drunk, would you? Would you consider that responsible behavior?

Nowhere in my response do I advocate for creating any laws.

I do consider driving while drunk irresponsible.
I do consider going to a packed baseball game during a pandemic without proper safety protocols irresponsible.
I do consider going out in public while active with the flu to be irresponsible.

What's wrong with calling drunk drivers irresponsible?
What's wrong with calling people who go to a packed baseball game during a pandemic irresponsible?
What's wrong with calling people who knowingly go out in public while they have the flu irresponsible?

Who got their panties in a twist and became the PC Police? ;)

What does all this have to do with potatoes? Can we get back on topic?

AustinMike
04-08-2021, 02:17 PM
What does all this have to do with potatoes? Can we get back on topic?

Vodka.

Here's someone that I've read knew his way around alcohol. I don't know why, but he looks a little "impaired" to me in this picture.

T3s
04-08-2021, 04:31 PM
“Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life”.
Buddha

oldjudge
04-08-2021, 05:29 PM
Allowing full attendance at a sporting event, especially without mandating mask wearing, is idiocy at this point. I agree that people should be free to act as they choose, except when it starts affecting others. Get everyone vaccinated and I’m fine with this. Until then, I think events like this just lead to the continuation of the pandemic.

edjs
04-08-2021, 05:38 PM

vintagetoppsguy
04-08-2021, 05:40 PM
Allowing full attendance at a sporting event, especially without mandating mask wearing, is idiocy at this point. I agree that people should be free to act as they choose, except when it starts affecting others. Get everyone vaccinated and I’m fine with this. Until then, I think events like this just lead to the continuation of the pandemic.

Masks are required at all their home games. Did everyone comply? I don't know, but probably not. But that's going to hold true any place that masks are required.

Bridwell
04-08-2021, 07:27 PM
I was wondering when this type of discussion would hit net54. It is a very divisive topic. I'd like to see somebody set up some Polls so we can get a confidential measure of how collectors feel about these topics. It's not baseball card related, though. I live in Texas, so here people are more in favor of getting out in the open air and not just staying at home. Some reasonable social distancing is the right thing to do for awhile longer, though.

Belfast1933
04-08-2021, 07:28 PM
I can’t believe this is even an argument.... as they say, I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.

Unbelievable. Seriously, unbelievable.

perezfan
04-08-2021, 07:39 PM
I was wondering when this type of discussion would hit net54. It is a very divisive topic. I'd like to see somebody set up some Polls so we can get a confidential measure of how collectors feel about these topics. It's not baseball card related, though. I live in Texas, so here people are more in favor of getting out in the open air and not just staying at home. Some reasonable social distancing is the right thing to do for awhile longer, though.

Agree with this take.... common sense. I want as little government intervention as possible, and think the issue has been somewhat overblown. States with strong restrictions are faring no better than states with few to no restrictions at this point. And states where schools are still not in session are a disgrace, IMO.

That said, I still wear a mask in public settings because I realize others might be uncomfortable otherwise. It's just a temporary common courtesy, and feels better to err on the side of safety. I do find it amusing when I see people hiking alone in remote areas with masks on, riding in their car alone, or riding their bikes outdoors with a mask on. But to each his own... and this too shall pass.

FrankWakefield
04-09-2021, 08:53 PM
There in Texas, as Texans have told me, some favor leaving the Union and returning to The Texas Republic... and there are folks in the other 49 states that would see Texas leaving as an improvement for the Union.

The point isn't to dis Texas... the point is that just because some folks see no problem with a course of conduct does not mean they're correct. I recognize I live in a Democracy. I understand that there are times I'm in the minority with some of my views. I'm good with following majority decisions, but that doesn't mean the majority is right about something, it just means there are more of them. Majorities can be mistaken, ill informed, wrong...

And sometimes majorities can be right.
California... some there think they'd be better off out of the Union, as do some that aren't in California. (It's not just a Texas thing.)

What is good is that we can talk about such... Civily.

Mark17
04-09-2021, 10:16 PM
I recognize I live in a Democracy.

Actually, you live in a Representative Republic, which has a constitution that protects individual rights.

Example, Gilligan's Island. If it's a democracy (majority rule) the 5 non-rich castaways take the Howell's money from them. The 4 men vote to make the 3 women do all of the domestic work. And, finally, Gilligan is confined to his hut by the other 6, so they might have a chance at being rescued.

In a Representative Republic, with laws protecting the rights of the minority, these things couldn't happen.

If the majority in this country think I must eat potatoes at every meal, I needn't comply, because I have Constitutional rights that protect me.

By the way, on the virus thing, I have no firm opinion. It's just bad news all around with no good options.

brianp-beme
04-09-2021, 11:14 PM
First Padres no-hitter in their history (Joe Musgrove) not only knocked the bats out of Texas player's hands, but perhaps also helped minimize the amount of respiratory droplets from exiting the noggins of unmasked Rangers fans.

Brian (congrats Padres, finally!)

FrankWakefield
04-10-2021, 07:11 AM
Representative Republic... I don't think so.

Constitutional rights... no Sir. Read the Constitution. It doesn't give you freedom of speech, for example. That's what we were taught in school, what we hear... but take a couple of minutes and read it.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment does not give you freedom of speech. The Constitution doesn't give citizens any rights. It is not a right-giving document. It is a power-limiting document. It limits the power of Congress / the federal government / the Union. Founding Fathers came from 13 colonies, they wanted to create a 14th entity, the Union of States. It was to give a united front in international affairs, keep the states from setting up tariffs on commerce between the states, protect us from enemies... and the idea was that everything else would remain in each state's hands. The document says that the Union will maintain a navy, and raise an army when necessary (being a Navy football fan I like the unequal footing that affords). The Constitution was a document designed to limit the power of this new govenment / Union.

The US government fast tracked and paid for the vaccine. And they can distribute it to states. Once in the hand of the states, the feds can't totally control how some states are ready to vaccinate everyone, and some still have age restrictions.

States have differing license requirements for driving, doctoring, selling insurance, and such... The states held onto a lot of power.

So... that first amendment... Congress shall make no law... It doesn't say I have freedom of speech, it says Congress can't mess with my freedom of speech (whatever that might be).

Baseball... I like fans being at games. 100% seems nuts. Masks seem sensible. The opening up's around the world (including here) are followed by more outbreaks and an occasional mutation variant. If people could hunker down and stay safe, then the spreading and mutating would diminish, and we'd get this behind us.

Baseball... in another thread I saw an Art Girabaldi Zeenut and read that he'd played for the Cardinals. I didn't have his card among my Zeenuts. But now I have one!

Gnep31
04-10-2021, 07:17 AM
There in Texas, as Texans have told me, some favor leaving the Union and returning to The Texas Republic... and there are folks in the other 49 states that would see Texas leaving as an improvement for the Union.

It would be their constitutional right to do so. I seriously doubt our current pres. would invade like Lincoln did.

Many Americans and states feel a more decentralized federal gov't is in their best interest. Texas is in a unique situation because they are large enough and economically strong enough to do so with relative ease.

CA relies on the Fed gov't to prop them up. CA is a textbook example of how big gov't can turn a state with so many resources into a dumpster fire. It doesn't take a high level degree to figure out why its residents are fleeing in droves. Unfortunately...many of them are going to the state who has it figured out....TX

AustinMike
04-10-2021, 07:24 AM
“Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life”.
Buddha

Why do people use vacuous, "pithy" sayings as if they're a pearl of wisdom that proves a point when, in actuality, most are nothing more than a heaping pile of dumdom?

My fear of putting my head inside a wild alligator's mouth is preventing my living? Good to know. :rolleyes:

"Fear does not prevent death?" What, pray tell, does?

You can put almost anything in that sentence in place of "death" and get a statement that many people would agree with.

"Watching TV does not prevent death, it prevents life." I'm sure my wife would agree with that.

Speaking of wives, how about "Marriage does not prevent death, it prevents life." I know many people who would agree with that.

How about something for the smokers out there? "Not smoking does not prevent death, it prevents life."

How about something for those of us who feel the need to drive drunk? "Driving sober does not prevent death, it prevents life."

I could go on all day with this, but hopefully you get the point.

Instead of "quoting" some famous person, state your own position, "Wearing a face mask does not prevent death, it prevents me from living my self-centered, non-caring life."

AustinMike
04-10-2021, 07:36 AM
CA relies on the Fed gov't to prop them up. CA is a textbook example of how big gov't can turn a state with so many resources into a dumpster fire. It doesn't take a high level degree to figure out why its residents are fleeing in droves. Unfortunately...many of them are going to the state who has it figured out....TX

Texas, the only state that forces millions of its citizens to go without power for days if the temperature dips below freezing while allowing power companies to jack up prices 1000% during the crisis caused by them choosing not to winterize their equipment.

Yeah, Texas has it figured out. :rolleyes:

PS Doesn't California send more money to the US government than it receives back? How is that "CA relies on the Fed gov't to prop them up?"

carlsonjok
04-10-2021, 07:45 AM
It’s great that they are letting healthy people decide what they want to do with their lives. What a strange idea.

I'm going to be the grammar guy for a moment and point out that you misspelled "asymptomatic."

carlsonjok
04-10-2021, 07:59 AM
You missed the point of my post, so let me make it a little more clear for you. I'm tired of being told that we need to listen to science...the same science that is constantly changing.

Whenever you see one of the several variations of this comment, you can be assured that the person saying it is not a practitioner of science.

All science is provisional and necessarily falsifiable. It follows a rigorous process of hypothesis, testing, analysis, and peer review and represents the best current explanation of the natural world. As more information is learned, and as testing and analysis techniques improve, science moves forward and, in some cases, overturns the prior best explanations.

Anyone who expects scientific understanding to be immutable is confusing it with religion.

And since every thread needs a card:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fknC-KQiHQI/YHGuHOrDwLI/AAAAAAAAHcA/_4WmyOWCSHMS4l2Y8sYgXkmH8w7j7BkcwCLcBGAsYHQ/s571/Modern_Wonder.jpg

Republicaninmass
04-10-2021, 08:03 AM
Same as attorneys who practice law. One day are they going to do it for real?

irv
04-10-2021, 08:05 AM
Texas, the only state that forces millions of its citizens to go without power for days if the temperature dips below freezing while allowing power companies to jack up prices 1000% during the crisis caused by them choosing not to winterize their equipment.

PS Doesn't California send more money to the US government than it receives back? How is that "CA relies on the Fed gov't to prop them up?"

With the brainwashing about the onset of "man made global warming" why would they spend the extra money increasing its citizens electrical bills to purchase solar and wind turbines that can handle cold spells?

AustinMike
04-10-2021, 08:05 AM

https://rockinst.org/issue-areas/fiscal-analysis/balance-of-payments-portal/

In 2019 California sent the US Fed $6.653 Billion more than they got back from the Fed.
Texas got $19.514 Billion more from the US Fed than they sent to the Fed.

So, who's being propped up by the Fed and who's propping up the Fed?

Is that what you consider having it figured out? Surviving on federal welfare?

AustinMike
04-10-2021, 08:09 AM
With the brainwashing about the onset of "man made global warming" why would they spend the extra money increasing its citizens electrical bills to purchase solar and wind turbines that can handle cold spells?

Can you translate this jibber-jabber to English?

Hirbonzig
04-10-2021, 08:11 AM
Hash brown potatoes with eggs and bacon for breakfast this morning. mmmm potatoes

carlsonjok
04-10-2021, 08:16 AM
T

Yes, that is correct. Data here (https://rockinst.org/issue-areas/fiscal-analysis/balance-of-payments-portal/).

Texas actually gets back more money than it sends. Though, to be fair, it is close enough to break even to not be considered a welfare state.

And, to continue a Texas theme, one of the more egregious error cards I have ever seen.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L-q3pgdytxI/XVfqESyZ5HI/AAAAAAAAGdU/B5gwQDf_D-wwVsFRp1woM-OxG3_xuMpBgCLcBGAs/w400-h400/app_front.png

bnorth
04-10-2021, 08:17 AM
Hash brown potatoes with eggs and bacon for breakfast this morning. mmmm potatoes

That sounds great, I am going to make jambalaya for lunch. About to go pick up some red and yellow bell peppers so I have everything I need to make it.:D

carlsonjok
04-10-2021, 08:22 AM

As someone who works in the oil and gas industry, I would point out that natural gas pipeline and distribution systems require large compressors that suffer the same problem as wind turbines. Any kind of rotating equipment, if not properly weatherproofed, will break down. And many did.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Unless you live in Texas you probably aren't qualified to really tell us how perfect or imperfect Texas is. Sometimes things happen like an unprecedented 100+ year Texas winter storm and it creates havoc. No worse than a hurricane or tornado. Similar to the pandemic our country was completely unprepared for. Couldn't even get enough PPE. Yes, they could have prepared better for the storm but more than likely it still would have been a problem for many since the forecast was pretty short notice. Where I live I'm pretty much set up to be self sufficient when needed and anyone else can easily do the same. I live in a flood zone and being an Eagle Scout I'm always over prepared. We had wood, water, fireplace, generator, etc. A lot of people weren't prepared and didn't take it seriously so it's not just on the state or the electric providers.
Also I have said before Texas isn't a free for all right now. In Central Texas all the virus protocols are still in place for masks, distancing, etc. even though the state doesn't have a mandate. They never enforced the mandates anyway. That was always at state and local levels. Seeing that the states that have the surges right now are all north of the Mason Dixon line I think it would be best for everyone to just chill on dissing Texas and other southern states who are using common sense but still practicing protocols. Vaccine appointments are down I read this morning even though it's open to everyone. Let's talk about all of the people who are scared to get one. Now that's an interesting topic. :)

carlsonjok
04-10-2021, 08:47 AM
Unless you live in Texas you probably aren't qualified to really tell us how perfect or imperfect Texas is. Sometimes things happen like an unprecedented 100+ year Texas winter storm and it creates havoc.

Oklahoma and Louisiana are adjoining states and went through the same storm without the same problems. The Southeast Power Pool did have some limited rolling black outs on a couple days, but neither state suffered anywhere near the same level of havoc as Texas.

You know why it is so windy in Oklahoma? Because Kansas sucks and Texas blows! I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-10-2021, 08:57 AM
Oklahoma and Louisiana are adjoining states and went through the same storm without the same problems. The Southeast Power Pool did have some limited rolling black outs on a couple days, but neither state suffered anywhere near the same level of havoc as Texas.

You know why it is so windy in Oklahoma? Because Kansas sucks and Texas blows! I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

I'm fully aware that the provider didn't prepare like they should have. That's on them and I bet they won't be doing it any longer after this storm. Most of the board has already resigned. BTW they aren't even based in Texas. Oklahoma has a history of really cold weather/snow for extended periods and Texas doesn't. Not even close to this severity. Texas hasn't had weather that cold for that period of time since the turn of the century. BTW they survived it then. LOL. Not all of Texas experienced it either. We never lost electric (not even rolling blackouts) or water here in Wimberley (west of Austin) even though I was quite prepared if we had. My point was people not in Texas sure have a lot of negative to say about Texas without any real life experience to base it on. You also can't believe everything you see on the Sheeple news.

Funny too. Two of my best friends are from Oklahoma, born and raised, and they couldn't wait to get here and say they would never go back. :)

vintagetoppsguy
04-10-2021, 09:00 AM
I wonder, are there more people moving into Texas from other states, or moving out of Texas to other states? :confused:

Someone help me out here.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-10-2021, 09:05 AM
I wonder, are there more people moving into Texas from other states, or moving out of Texas to other states? :confused:

Exactly. Population has exploded here in Central Texas in the last fifteen years. Mostly from California, Oregon, Utah and Washington. I see more California plates here in Wimberley than Texas plates. LOL. Wimberley has almost doubled in population in the last ten years. It was less than 3000 the previous 150 years.

Leon
04-10-2021, 09:18 AM

I still wear a mask out in public but also believe people should be allowed to do what they want to. If others don't like it they can not go to wherever the masks are being worn. Just my personal opinion of course.

It is crazy here in Texas. We have a lot of people moving here who don't believe in our values, coming in and wanting to change Texas. Honestly, I wish they would all go away. I love Texas but want to keep it Texan. (conservative, but not to get too political)

.https://luckeycards.com/d382.jpg

AustinMike
04-10-2021, 09:20 AM
I'm fully aware that the provider didn't prepare like they should have. That's on them and I bet they won't be doing it any longer after this storm.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/02/18/state-energy-winter-protections-lacking-reports-have-suggested/4490501001/

In 2011 Texas suffered a cold snap causing power interruptions. "A post-mortem at the time – including a key finding that state officials recommended but did not mandate winter protections for generating facilities."

https://www.statesman.com/article/20110411/NEWS/304119704

In 1989 Texas suffered a cold snap causing power interruptions. The PUC prepared a report. "A section of the document labeled “Recommendations” stated: “All utilities should ensure that they incorporate the lessons learned during December of 1989 into the design of new facilities” and “ensure that procedures are implemented to correct defective freeze protection equipment prior to the onset of cold weather.”

Don't hold your breath.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-10-2021, 09:22 AM
It is crazy here in Texas. We have a lot of people moving here who don't believe in our values, coming in and wanting to change Texas. Honestly, I wish they would all go away. I love Texas but want to keep it Texan. (conservative, but not to get too political)

.https://luckeycards.com/d382.jpg

Agreed! Don't California our Texas! :)

Leon
04-10-2021, 09:23 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/02/18/state-energy-winter-protections-lacking-reports-have-suggested/4490501001/

In 2011 Texas suffered a cold snap causing power interruptions. "A post-mortem at the time – including a key finding that state officials recommended but did not mandate winter protections for generating facilities."

In 1989 Texas suffered a cold snap causing power interruptions. The PUC prepared a report. "A section of the document labeled “Recommendations” stated: “All utilities should ensure that they incorporate the lessons learned during December of 1989 into the design of new facilities” and “ensure that procedures are implemented to correct defective freeze protection equipment prior to the onset of cold weather.”

Don't hold your breath.

Well, I don't know about this. Almost everyone in upper management at ERCOT and the PUC have been fired or resigned over the recent freeze disaster. My guess is that it does get fixed for the future. But I could be wrong. It IS the government.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-10-2021, 09:25 AM

Don't hold your breath.

I think this was the last straw though. Like I said, most of the board has already resigned. Those cold snaps though weren't anywhere near what we just had. It had been 100 years since we had a storm like this.

vintagetoppsguy
04-10-2021, 09:35 AM
Well, I don't know about this. Almost everyone in upper management at ERCOT and the PUC have been fired or resigned over the recent freeze disaster. My guess is that it does get fixed for the future. But I could be wrong. It IS the government.

Right! And omitted from his post is the fact that most ERCOT executives didn't even live in Texas (or the US for that matter).

AustinMike
04-10-2021, 09:37 AM

I love Austin. I came here in '72 to attend UT and have never found my way out. The population back then was around 235,000. Now it's approaching 1,000,000. It has changed a lot. Not all change is bad. You have to accept the bad with the good and try to accentuate the good.

My dad was born and raised in northeast Texas. We visited my grandmother and uncles and aunts frequently in the 60s. Racism was rampant among my dad's family and that region. Some things need to change.

I do wish people would STOP moving here though.

Leon
04-10-2021, 09:38 AM
I think this was the last straw though. Like I said, most of the board has already resigned. Those cold snaps though weren't anywhere near what we just had. It had been 100 years since we had a storm like this.

I have the bottoms of 3 toes on my left foot which still have no feeling from the frost nip I got. I had cold weather boots on but not my heavy cold weather ones . :eek:
I have lived here all my life (close to 60 yrs. now) and have never seen anything anywhere close to what it just was. I understand it will be the largest insurance claims event in history, for Texas. Going through the natural disasters we have had that is saying something.

AustinMike
04-10-2021, 09:39 AM
Right! And omitted from his post is the fact that most ERCOT executives didn't even live in Texas (or the US for that matter).

Yeah, the reason nothing changed after 1989 and 2011 is because most ERCOT executives lived out of state in 2021. :rolleyes:

vintagetoppsguy
04-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Yeah, the reason nothing changed after 1989 and 2011 is because most ERCOT executives lived out of state in 2021. :rolleyes:

They've had 10 years to resolve the problems and chose to do nothing. It's easy not to care when you don't live here.

Maybe that's why most quit or got fired. Gee, go figure. :rolleyes:

Mark17
04-10-2021, 10:51 AM
So... that first amendment... Congress shall make no law... It doesn't say I have freedom of speech, it says Congress can't mess with my freedom of speech (whatever that might be).

A distinction without a difference. You say po-tA-to, I say PO-Ta-TO.

Jason19th
04-10-2021, 11:24 AM
A distinction without a difference. You say po-tA-to, I say PO-Ta-TO.

It actual isn’t a distinction without a difference and illustrates what people often get wrong about what the first amendment means. A totally unabridged right to speech would mean that no one could suffer any consequence from speech, even private consequences like losing a job or being barred from joining a private club. The phrasing of the 1st amendment simply prevents the GOVERNMENT from penalizing your speech. So it’s actually a pretty big difference

Also McDonal’s French fries are magic not science

Mark17
04-10-2021, 12:25 PM
It actual isn’t a distinction without a difference and illustrates what people often get wrong about what the first amendment means. A totally unabridged right to speech would mean that no one could suffer any consequence from speech, even private consequences like losing a job or being barred from joining a private club. The phrasing of the 1st amendment simply prevents the GOVERNMENT from penalizing your speech. So it’s actually a pretty big difference

Also McDonal’s French fries are magic not science

I certainly understand that the meaning of the simplified term "free speech" has limitations, like not being able to shout "Fire!" in crowded places, not being able to slander others or break legally binding non-disclosure agreements with impunity, and so on. But in the struggle between government and individual rights, what the government can't restrict confers to the individual.

Time for a non fungible digital fantasy asset:

FrankWakefield
04-10-2021, 08:55 PM
That's a nice Hogsett card. He's one of the players I read about before I was a teenager. I read about the 1934 World Series, while all other kids seemed interested in Mickey Mantle; but then it was the mid-60's and as a kids, we knew nothing.

Leon's toes... not a laughing matter. Toes are critical to controlling balance. I hope the feeling returns.

I didn't realize Texas had an independent power grid. With hindsight, that's a mess, a disaster waiting to happen. Texas should join the national grid, East or West, either is fine.

I recall, as a kid, asking my Grandfather what the TVA was. He had driven by a dam in northern Tennessee and mentioned that it was a TVA dam. I was a nerdy, inquisitive kid, and my Grandfather knew 'stuff'. I listened about the WPA, depression recovery, putting people to work, electrification (which was not very far along, even in the 1950's), affordable electricity, flood control, reliable sources for public water... and I asked him why the government owned the TVA. He explained that all of that needed doing, but that it would be maybe 55 to 65 years before the TVA could reach a point where it could have debt paid down to the point where it could be profitable. He mentioned affordable electricity again and said that where we lived we paid less for electricity than many of the people in the country. He said that business men, companies, corporations, they would not undertake a course of action that would not show a profit in a man's lifetime. But that government could do that. So the TVA was necessary to develop the system in the southeast... a system that helps with flood control, manages water resources and water recreation areas, and provides affordable and reliable electricity.

Texas needs to be on the national grid. Seems likely to me that the state government office holders, having received oil money supporting campaigns, couldn't vote against local oil and private power interests; so the citizens of Texas are stuck with a flawed yet replaceable system.

I'll offer a prayer tonight for those toes, that isn't a laughing matter.

I'd like to buy an example of that green background Wagner portrait card... that looks great!

Gnep31
04-11-2021, 09:45 AM

You cherry pick one natural disaster regarding TX as your example? The state didn't force anyone to go without power...the weather did. How exactly does a state control the weather? How did they force their residents to not have generators? (I have 2). Did I miss when they would not allow residents to leave???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CA the state who has rolling black outs? LOL. I see people whining all the time about the heat and no power for AC in CA.

earlywynnfan
04-11-2021, 09:49 AM

I assume they just enjoy the freedom that deregulation gives them to maximize profits while foregoing upkeep? I'm not paying close attention, but I'm willing to bet none of the people who got rich off this system for years will have to pay up, just the taxpayers.

irv
04-11-2021, 10:13 AM

I guess not enough read this sign?

timn1
04-11-2021, 10:32 AM
I read a great analysis somewhere about what would actually happen to Texas economically if it did secede, and yes, it was the electrical grid fiasco times a thousand.

And yes, California does send more $$ than it receives...

carlsonjok
04-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Right! And omitted from his post is the fact that most ERCOT executives didn't even live in Texas (or the US for that matter).I assume they just enjoy the freedom that deregulation gives them to maximize profits while foregoing upkeep? I'm not paying close attention, but I'm willing to bet none of the people who got rich off this system for years will have to pay up, just the taxpayers.

I probably should just shut up, but I feel compelled to point out that ERCOT is neither a for-profit corporation nor the government (as someone else implied.) It is a 501(c)4 organization made up of paying members, which includes over 100 companies from various segments of the energy sector. ERCOT owns no assets. It's member companies, however, do and they are free to invest in, and upgrade, their systems as they see fit.

ERCOT isn't blameless here, but their heads aren't the only ones that should be rolling around on the ground.

earlywynnfan
04-11-2021, 11:51 AM
I probably should just shut up, but I feel compelled to point out that ERCOT is neither a for-profit corporation nor the government (as someone else implied.) It is a 501(c)4 organization made up of paying members, which includes over 100 companies from various segments of the energy sector. ERCOT owns no assets. It's member companies, however, do and they are free to invest in, and upgrade, their systems as they see fit.

ERCOT isn't blameless here, but their heads aren't the only ones that should be rolling around on the ground.

Thanks for the clarification

vintagetoppsguy
04-11-2021, 12:11 PM
Many lawsuits have been filed against ERCOT and the electrical providers. As far as I know, none have been filed against the State of Texas.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
04-11-2021, 02:27 PM
You read a lot about the exodus of Californians to Texas including some big companies that have recently relocated there. But rarely do you hear anything about what it's like once people get there. I recently read this opinion piece in the business insider about an executive who moved his family from the bay area of CA to a town just outside Austin (btw I'm a big fan of Austin and go every year to sxsw). The article is a great counter punch to the CA is horrible narrative and puts an exclamation point to the phrase the grass is not always greener...

(first oped behind paywall) https://www.businessinsider.com/moving-california-austin-texas-10-things-i-wish-i-knew-2021-1

(follow up oped free) https://www.businessinsider.com/brett-alder-california-austin-texas-move-what-id-do-differently-2021-2?utm_source=reddit.com

Leon
04-11-2021, 02:34 PM
You read a lot about the exodus of Californians to Texas including some big companies that have recently relocated there. But rarely do you hear anything about what it's like once people get there. I recently read this opinion piece in the business insider about an executive who moved his family from the bay area of CA to a town just outside Austin (btw I'm a big fan of Austin and go every year to sxsw). The article is a great counter punch to the CA is horrible narrative and puts an exclamation point to the phrase the grass is not always greener...

(first oped behind paywall) https://www.businessinsider.com/moving-california-austin-texas-10-things-i-wish-i-knew-2021-1

(follow up oped free) https://www.businessinsider.com/brett-alder-california-austin-texas-move-what-id-do-differently-2021-2?utm_source=reddit.com

Austin is similar to California. (And I didn't read either article.) Many, if not most, Texans feel this way.

Back to the mask issue. I personally think we (Texans) have opened back up, as much as we have, too soon. Masks shouldn't be a political issue. They are a health and safety issue. Just my opinions on this stuff.

vintagetoppsguy
04-11-2021, 02:52 PM
Austin is similar to California. (And I didn't read either article.) Many, if not most, Texans feel this way.

+1

carlsonjok
04-11-2021, 03:29 PM

Back to the mask issue. I personally think we (Texans) have opened back up, as much as we have, too soon. Masks shouldn't be a political issue. They are a health and safety issue. Just my opinions on this stuff.

Texas needs to get its act together. I have tickets to see Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams at the Moody Theater in Austin the first weekend in August. If y'all screw it up for me, I will be quite cross.

AustinMike
04-11-2021, 05:13 PM
You cherry pick one natural disaster regarding TX as your example? The state didn't force anyone to go without power...the weather did. How exactly does a state control the weather? How did they force their residents to not have generators? (I have 2). Did I miss when they would not allow residents to leave???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CA the state who has rolling black outs? LOL. I see people whining all the time about the heat and no power for AC in CA.

Are you arguing against yourself or just a hypocrite? Texas is excused because the weather caused its power problems. California is a failed state because of its rolling blackouts ... caused by the heat (i.e., weather). :rolleyes:

I do see that one of your solutions is for each of the approximate 10 million households in Texas to have their own generator. [You must have stocks in generator companies ;)] So, where do the folks who live in apartments put their generators? If you rent a house, I guess you just lug your generator with you whenever you move? How do people power their generators when the fuel supply is limited because of the crisis causing their use? Keep in mind that one of the main problems during the freeze was reduced natural gas supply because of frozen equipment.

I see that another one of your solutions is for people to leave Texas. Is that what you do when you're not happy with your state government or even the federal government. You simply pack your bags and leave? Are you asking the people who stormed the capital in January why they don't just leave the country?

Go back and read earlier posts. In 1989 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't. In 2011 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't.

The Texas government could force power companies and natural gas companies to winterize their equipment (like federal guidelines require other US gas and power companies to do). But the Texas government is more concerned about letting companies do what ever they want instead of looking out for the well being of its citizens. Is that really doing things right?

Time will tell if the third time is the charm.

Mark17
04-11-2021, 06:08 PM
The Texas government could force power companies and natural gas companies to winterize their equipment (like federal guidelines require other US gas and power companies to do). But the Texas government is more concerned about letting companies do what ever they want instead of looking out for the well being of its citizens. Is that really doing things right?

Time will tell if the third time is the charm.

Do government mandates and regulations prevent the problems California experiences with its electrical grid (and water supply) all too frequently?

Some people think that whatever goes wrong in this country, from crime to natural disasters, can be fixed through government regulation.

vintagetoppsguy
04-11-2021, 06:22 PM
Some people think that whatever goes wrong in this country, from crime to natural disasters, can be fixed through government regulation.

Sad, but true. Some people are conditioned to think that the government can solve all the problems.

carlsonjok
04-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Do government mandates and regulations prevent the problems California experiences with its electrical grid (and water supply) all too frequently?

California was one of the first states to deregulate it's gas and electric markets in 1995.

Bigdaddy
04-11-2021, 08:08 PM
Texas needs to get its act together. I have tickets to see Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams at the Moody Theater in Austin the first weekend in August. If y'all screw it up for me, I will be quite cross.

A Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams sighting on Net54!! Could this be the first time? I believe this thread has been redeemed.

Thank you Jeff.

https://jambands.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/My-Post-26.png

FrankWakefield
04-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Lucinda puts an amazing amount of personal energy, passion, and angst into her music. I hope you get to see her.

Charlie Pride... I think he was a part owner of the Texas Rangers. I think he had hunkered down and was being careful about COVID. Then, he went to Nashville, when asked to attend for the Lifetime Achievement Award. He died of COVID complications about 3 weeks after his fateful trip to Nashville.

Casey2296
04-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Lucinda puts an amazing amount of personal energy, passion, and angst into her music. I hope you get to see her.

Charlie Pride... I think he was a part owner of the Texas Rangers. I think he had hunkered down and was being careful about COVID. Then, he went to Nashville, when asked to attend for the Lifetime Achievement Award. He died of COVID complications about 3 weeks after his fateful trip to Nashville.

"Kiss an Angel good mornin', and love er like the devil when you get back home"

RIP Charley Pride, the Jackie Robinson of Country Music.

Casey2296
04-11-2021, 09:12 PM
A Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams sighting on Net54!! Could this be the first time? I believe this thread has been redeemed.

Thank you Jeff.

https://jambands.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/My-Post-26.png

They got the headliner backwards there.

AustinMike
04-12-2021, 07:04 AM
Sad, but true. Some people are conditioned to think that the government can solve all the problems.

Equally sad are the people who are conditioned to think that the government is the root of all the problems.

What's your point?

1989 cold weather caused power problems. In order to avoid those problems, it was recommended that the companies winterize their equipment. In essence, they were asked to "please" do it. Nothing was done.

2011 cold weather caused power problems. In order to avoid those problems, it was recommended that the companies winterize their equipment. In essence, they were asked to "pretty please" do it. Nothing was done.

2021 cold weather caused power problems. Should we now ask them "pretty please with sugar on it" to fix the problem?

If you don't want to regulate them, what's your solution?

vintagetoppsguy
04-12-2021, 07:32 AM
Equally sad are the people who are conditioned to think that the government is the root of all the problems.

They're not the root of all the problems but, without a doubt, they definitely create more problems than they resolve.

Rhotchkiss
04-12-2021, 07:36 AM
This thread sucks.

We rarely lose power for long here in Maryland - go East Coast!

earlywynnfan
04-12-2021, 09:26 AM
They're not the root of all the problems but, without a doubt, they definitely create more problems than they resolve.

Not sure about this...

Gnep31
04-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Are you arguing against yourself or just a hypocrite? Texas is excused because the weather caused its power problems. California is a failed state because of its rolling blackouts ... caused by the heat (i.e., weather). :rolleyes:

I do see that one of your solutions is for each of the approximate 10 million households in Texas to have their own generator. [You must have stocks in generator companies ;)] So, where do the folks who live in apartments put their generators? If you rent a house, I guess you just lug your generator with you whenever you move? How do people power their generators when the fuel supply is limited because of the crisis causing their use? Keep in mind that one of the main problems during the freeze was reduced natural gas supply because of frozen equipment.

I see that another one of your solutions is for people to leave Texas. Is that what you do when you're not happy with your state government or even the federal government. You simply pack your bags and leave? Are you asking the people who stormed the capital in January why they don't just leave the country?

Go back and read earlier posts. In 1989 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't. In 2011 after power blackouts in Texas it was recommended that companies winterize their equipment. They didn't.

My point about the weather is that it isn't controlled by the state....not hard to figure that out. Neither TX or CA has anything to do with the weather.

Your issue with the power companies in TX was a 1 or 2 times historical event. I honestly do not live there or know enough about what the state did or didn't do. Rolling black outs seem to happen a lot in CA....reinforcing my point with one example as to why CA is a mess in comparison to TX.

I didn't say leave the state forever...did I? Residents who did not have generators or another source of heat could have left for a period of time and then come back. Just one solution that a portion of the population could have considered. My future son in law, from OH, happens to be stationed at a base in TX. His barracks were not heated or insulated so he put on more clothes :eek: Trying to deflect the conversation to the capitol march does nothing for your argument...but nice try ;)

Another solution would be to purchase or already have a generator. Compared to losing thousands of $'s worth of venison and fish in multiple freezers, in my case, the cost of a generator is minor. For anyone who has a generator, I promise you, the vast majority have enough fuel stored to get through many days without power. It doesn't make any sense to have a gen w/out fuel now does it?

My entire point has always been that the state of TX has things figured out. Allowing full attendance at sporting events is a step forward and the correct call. You changing the narrative to a single weather event is a stretch.

AustinMike
04-13-2021, 06:31 AM
My entire point has always been that the state of TX has things figured out. Allowing full attendance at sporting events is a step forward and the correct call. You changing the narrative to a single weather event is a stretch.

And your entire point is not correct. From that bastion of liberal thought, the US News & World Report:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Texas is ranked 31st of the 50 states "(m)easuring outcomes for citizens using more than 70 metrics." Apparently, US News thinks 30 states have things figured out better than Texas.

I guess you also missed the earlier post that pointed out that Texas receives around 19.5 BILLION dollars from the Fed in excess of what Texas sends to the Fed. Texas depends on the Fed, to the tune of $19.5 billion, to maintain its current standard of living. How is that "Texas has things figured out," unless you consider being a welfare leach having things figured out?

One thing I think all Texans can agree on is that Texas is #1 in BBQ. Sorry all you wanna be BBQ states, but that is a fact. :)

Plus, we have bluebonnets.

vintagetoppsguy
04-13-2021, 08:01 AM
And your entire point is not correct. From that bastion of liberal thought, the US News & World Report:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Texas is ranked 31st of the 50 states "(m)easuring outcomes for citizens using more than 70 metrics." Apparently, US News thinks 30 states have things figured out better than Texas.

I guess you also missed the earlier post that pointed out that Texas receives around 19.5 BILLION dollars from the Fed in excess of what Texas sends to the Fed. Texas depends on the Fed, to the tune of $19.5 billion, to maintain its current standard of living. How is that "Texas has things figured out," unless you consider being a welfare leach having things figured out?

One thing I think all Texans can agree on is that Texas is #1 in BBQ. Sorry all you wanna be BBQ states, but that is a fact. :)

Plus, we have bluebonnets.

If it's so bad, what is keeping you here? You just like to complain, right?

Yeah, gotta love the bluebonnets in Texas. But you know what you have to watch out for with bluebonnets as well as Net54? Slimy snakes like yourself.

sdimag
04-13-2021, 09:24 AM
I read a great analysis somewhere about what would actually happen to Texas economically if it did secede, and yes, it was the electrical grid fiasco times a thousand.

And yes, California does send more $$ than it receives...

Yeah, gotta love the bluebonnets in Texas. But you know what you have to watch out for with bluebonnets as well as Net54? Slimy snakes like yourself.
Touché

AustinMike
04-13-2021, 10:19 AM

Who's complaining? I'm just pointing out the stupidity of saying Texas has it figured out. (Okay, I was complaining about the number of people moving here. But I'm not alone in that regard.)

Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong. Jean-Jacques Rousseau

When people start hurling insults at you, you know their minds are closed and there's no point in debating. Judith Martin

Fballguy
04-13-2021, 12:03 PM
We ain't skeered in Texas. :) Living life to the fullest with our masks on.

Restaurants open, malls open, bars open, movie theaters open, sporting events open...Schools have been open all year. Things are BAU in Texas. It's good to be relatively normal again.

Still no sign of the mythical, superspreader event. :rolleyes:

Fballguy
04-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Exactly.
Please do it in poor driving conditions at high speed around a number of large and solid brick walls, and preferably with the car loaded with like-minded simpletons.

How does one connect an illegal activity with a legal one? Flimsy comparison

perezfan
04-13-2021, 01:17 PM
With restaurants, bars, hotels, salons, theatres and retail establishments being crippled here (and going out of business at alarming rates), you have to wonder at some point whether the lockdowns are even beneficial. The survival rate of this virus is 99.97%...

Seems like wiping out people's businesses, life savings and ability to even visit family and loved ones is more detrimental than the alternative. Not to mention the millions of kids missing school and the increasing suicide rates. The free states are currently no worse off than "lockdown states", with regard to the spread, so perhaps living in fear is not the best alternative.

packs
04-13-2021, 01:20 PM
I guess that depends what you consider to be living in fear. Most people are advocating proper distancing, capacity limitations and wearing a mask. Doesn't seem alarmist to me. I might use the word practical.

On another note I've noticed that in the year I've been wearing a mask in all social situations I have not even had so much as a runny nose.

Republicaninmass
04-13-2021, 01:48 PM
Living in fear doesnt prevent death....it prevents life.

Nobody believes in fate anymore.

Fballguy
04-13-2021, 02:20 PM
On another note I've noticed that in the year I've been wearing a mask in all social situations I have not even had so much as a runny nose.

Let's see what happens to your flabby, out of shape immune system when it finally comes off. ;)

packs
04-13-2021, 02:24 PM
Oh, I've thought of that. I've been eating more fast food to balance it out.

Leon
04-13-2021, 02:34 PM
With restaurants, bars, hotels, salons, theatres and retail establishments being crippled here (and going out of business at alarming rates), you have to wonder at some point whether the lockdowns are even beneficial. The survival rate of this virus is 99.97%...

Seems like wiping out people's businesses, life savings and ability to even visit family and loved ones is more detrimental than the alternative. Not to mention the millions of kids missing school and the increasing suicide rates. The free states are currently no worse off than "lockdown states", with regard to the spread, so perhaps living in fear is not the best alternative.

There needs to be somewhere between fear and all out opening of everything. I got my first vaccine shot yesterday. I will still wear a mask in social places and try to keep my distance. I wouldn't advocate lockdowns or 100 percent openings right now. Somewhere in the middle...maybe 70% open? I just don't feel like we are completely out of the woods yet. All just my personal opinion. If everyone stays civil it's an ok debate.

perezfan
04-13-2021, 02:40 PM
I guess that depends what you consider to be living in fear. Most people are advocating proper distancing, capacity limitations and wearing a mask. Doesn't seem alarmist to me. I might use the word practical.

You missed the point just a tad. The two are not mutually exclusive...

They could open up most businesses and schools while employing masks and social distancing measures (being careful and practical). Some of these governor/dictators are on a bit of a power trip.

packs
04-13-2021, 02:48 PM
You missed the point just a tad. The two are not mutually exclusive...

They could open up most businesses and schools while employing masks and social distancing measures (being careful and practical). Some of these governor/dictators are on a bit of a power trip.

Who is they, though? The government of the state has made their stance clear on the issue and the plan isn't what you're proposing.

perezfan
04-13-2021, 02:56 PM
Who is they, though? The government of the state has made their stance clear on the issue and the plan isn't what you're proposing.

That plan (or a similar version of it) is in place for states that are currently thriving.

I am going to bow out of this. Nobody's mind will be changed, and everyone is entitled to his/her own beliefs. No upside to debating this in a sportscard forum.

Casey2296
04-13-2021, 03:00 PM

We Are They.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goVL5dUykzs

mr2686
04-13-2021, 03:11 PM
I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together

Tabe
04-13-2021, 03:19 PM
It's actually closer to 98%:

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n579

However, there are more than the two outcomes from COVID than you're talking about - perfect health and death. COVID causes long-term problems in a lot of patients - heart issues, brain issues, and more. My brother is 15+ months out from getting COVID and still doesn't have his sense of taste back.

It's a lot more complicated than just "you die or you don't".

In addition to that, there is the significant burden that COVID places on the health care system. That has the effect of harming the care available to non-COVID patients.

None of the above should be interpreted in any way as advocating opening of businesses or closing of businesses.

bnorth
04-13-2021, 03:57 PM

However, there are more than the two outcomes from COVID than you're talking about - perfect health and death. COVID causes long-term problems in a lot of patients - heart issues, brain issues, and more. My brother is 15+ months out from getting COVID and still doesn't have his sense of taste back.

In addition to that, there is the significant burden that COVID places on the health care system. That has the effect of harming the care available to non-COVID patients.

None of the above should be interpreted in any way as advocating opening of businesses or closing of businesses.

My younger brother(46) is right at a year since he had it. He is still tired and his joints ache all the time.

To get more card pics here is one of my favorite pick ups in a very long time. A Wade Boggs rookie wrong back.

Fballguy
04-13-2021, 06:55 PM

It's not that complicated. It's a decision people should be able to decide on their own. If you're afraid of covid, don't go to a restaurant. But everyone else shouldn't be denied the right because you're afraid.

Not much different than cigarettes, alcohol, guns, motorcycles. People decide how much risk they want to assume. The gov't doesn't make the decision for them.

At this point the cat is out of the bag. Texas and Florida have dispelled just about every liberal myth related to covid. Yet liberal states still choose to fear the boogeyman.

Fballguy
04-13-2021, 06:58 PM
BTW...Wasn't spring break supposed to cause another spike? :rolleyes:

earlywynnfan
04-13-2021, 08:09 PM
It's not that complicated. It's a decision people should be able to decide on their own. If you're afraid of covid, don't go to a restaurant. But everyone else shouldn't be denied the right because you're afraid.

Not much different than cigarettes, alcohol, guns, motorcycles. People decide how much risk they want to assume. The gov't doesn't make the decision for them.

At this point the cat is out of the bag. Texas and Florida have dispelled just about every liberal myth related to covid. Yet liberal states still choose to fear the boogeyman.

But doesn't the government try to mitigate the risk? Helmets, age minimums, licensing?? Wearing masks in public or temporarily halting mass, crowded indoor public events seem to be in character with all of your examples.

Tabe
04-13-2021, 10:36 PM
You're refuting a point I didn't make. I was referring to the effects of COVID, specifically in reference to the - false - statement of a 99.97% survival rate. You're talking about something completely different.

Government does make the decision. It's illegal to drive after consuming much alcohol. Clothing and helmets are regulated for motorcycles. Cigarettes are restricted from sale based on age and location. Their use is banned in many places. And so on.

So, by it being "not that much different", you're advocating for government intervention. That doesn't jibe with what you said above.

Texas just had a 27% jump in weekly cases.

Stampsfan
04-14-2021, 12:59 AM
My younger brother(46) is right at a year since he had it. He is still tired and his joints ache all the time.

To get more card pics here is one of my favorite pick ups in a very long time. A Wade Boggs rookie wrong back.

I had it over a year ago, before it was cool to get it. I've never been sicker, but I recovered.

My two adult daughters caught it three weeks ago and they seem to be through the worst of it. Both lost taste and smell, but it's slowly coming back.

That looks more to me like a Wade Boggs rookie wrong front.

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 06:00 AM

Stop getting your news from CNN. These sensational stories are so 2020.

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 06:04 AM
Government does make the decision. It's illegal to drive after consuming much alcohol. Clothing and helmets are regulated for motorcycles. Cigarettes are restricted from sale based on age and location. Their use is banned in many places. And so on.

So, by it being "not that much different", you're advocating for government intervention. That doesn't jibe with what you said above.

That's not apples to apples. Let's see what would happen if the Gov't said no cigarette, alcohol, gun sales for the next 13+ months. Oh and no motorcycle riding either.

frankbmd
04-14-2021, 08:06 AM
That's not apples to apples. Let's see what would happen if the Gov't said no cigarette, alcohol, gun sales for the next 13+ months. Oh and no motorcycle riding either.

Not to mention shutting down Net54 for 13+ months.

:eek::eek::eek:

mr2686
04-14-2021, 08:31 AM
Not to mention shutting down Net54 for 13+ months.

at least we always practice being 6 feet away from each member as we type. :rolleyes:

earlywynnfan
04-14-2021, 08:35 AM

Where do you get your news? (And no, I don't watch CNN)

irv
04-14-2021, 09:07 AM

This will very likely be removed from Twitter soon as they certainly don't like the truth being out there, but we'll see?

Sounds like they are now going to ramp up the global warming/climate change train again because, you know, after all, fear sells and people will gladly give up their hard earned money for such a noble cause. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/1382000630567469060?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1382000630567469060%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freedomsledder.com%2Find ex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Demb edurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fi%2Fstatus%2F1 382000630567469060

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/1382062653816856576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1382062653816856576%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freedomsledder.com%2Find ex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Demb edurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fi%2Fstatus%2F1 382062653816856576

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/1382130642926854145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1382130642926854145%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freedomsledder.com%2Find ex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Demb edurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FJamesOKeefeIII %2Fstatus%2F1382130642926854145

AustinMike
04-14-2021, 09:57 AM

Speaking of apples to apples, get back to us with your analogy when the simple act of riding a motorcycle, buying a cigarette, buying a gun, or buying alcohol has the potential to infect someone with a serious virus during a non-pandemic period.

And by the way, in case you weren't aware, second-hand smoke can cause cancer in non-smokers. Because of that, smoking is banned in many public buildings in many places. You can use that in an analogy if you're so inclined.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-14-2021, 11:17 AM
I feel this thread has run it's course. Just my opinion.

perezfan
04-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Agree... another vote for killing it, Leon.

The discussion about the Rangers opening game is long over. I have gotten immersed in this hobby in an attempt to escape from this stuff. Perhaps anyone who wants to debate this topic can move over to a different forum?

Tabe
04-14-2021, 03:06 PM

What a weird assumption to make. I don't watch or read CNN.

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 05:22 PM
I feel this thread has run it's course. Just my opinion.

There are plenty others to read. Have yourself some fun. :)

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 05:37 PM
What a weird assumption to make. I don't watch or read CNN.

Your feigned befuddlement is actually comical. As if sensationally false headlines, of which this is one, don't come out of CNN every five minutes. Feel free to point out the where the 27% increase is:

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 05:40 PM
Speaking of apples to apples, get back to us with your analogy when the simple act of riding a motorcycle, buying a cigarette, buying a gun, or buying alcohol has the potential to infect someone with a serious virus during a non-pandemic period.

And by the way, in case you weren't aware, second-hand smoke can cause cancer in non-smokers. Because of that, smoking is banned in many public buildings in many places. You can use that in an analogy if you're so inclined.

You kind of harpoon your point with your second paragraph. You start by saying cigarettes, alcohol and guns can't hurt others (Really? Guns? You need that one explained?), then go on to point out how cigarettes hurt others. I'm sure there are thousands of kids growing up in homes where parents are smoking. What's the Govt doing about that?

Here's an analogy for you...Forcing everyone to wear a mask, was like the Gov't saying everyone has to wear a motorcycle helmet whether you own a motorcycle or not. After all, you might get hit by someone riding one.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2021, 05:45 PM

You're spouting stupid misinformation.
(This article is only a couple of hours old)

https://abc13.com/10514883/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+%28Feed%29&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2bCcftdiAGkT4iTG8gHTzMIbKoDvctMYAI88t0D Y9dcoXeyrTSdMw5P-o

Tabe
04-14-2021, 05:52 PM
Your feigned befuddlement is actually comical. As if sensationally false headlines, of which this is one, don't come out of CNN every five minutes. Feel free to point out the where the 27% increase is:

Well, when you post a graphic that's out of date...

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/news/2021/04/12/gda-covid-19-state-2021-04-12-tx-pwtr/115693058/

Tabe
04-14-2021, 05:53 PM
You're spouting stupid misinformation.
(This article is only a couple of hours old)

https://abc13.com/10514883/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+%28Feed%29&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2bCcftdiAGkT4iTG8gHTzMIbKoDvctMYAI88t0D Y9dcoXeyrTSdMw5P-o

And yet I just cited a source.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2021, 05:56 PM
And yet I just cited a source.

I'm going to trust my local Houston ABC affiliate more than your source. But nice try.

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 06:16 PM
Well, when you post a graphic that's out of date...

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/news/2021/04/12/gda-covid-19-state-2021-04-12-tx-pwtr/115693058/

Mine was from the New York Times and thru April 13th (both of which are stated in my graphic)...Not that the New York Times can compare with...wait for it...The USA Today Network.

PS...What is the USA Today Network. Is that bloggers?

bnorth
04-14-2021, 06:28 PM
How about numbers from the official Texas Department of State Health Services site.

3-31 3.1K new cases
4-6 3.4K new cases
4-7 3.3K new cases
4-13 4.4Knew cases

Looks like a recent spike to me. :D https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspx

BRoberts
04-14-2021, 06:32 PM
You know who I feel sorry for? All the people coming to this board for free tax advice who instead get health-care expertise.

bnorth
04-14-2021, 06:35 PM
You know who I feel sorry for? All the people coming to this board for free tax advice who instead get health-care expertise.

There is definitely no expertise in this thread.:D

We are also past due for a card picture.

frankbmd
04-14-2021, 07:15 PM
The Net54 general assembly is nearly as effective as the United Nations in resolving the problems we all face.

You should wear a mask until we have a vaccine.

We have a vaccine that is very effective.

I took the vaccine as suggested.

Now I’m told that I should wear a mask. Huh???

Either the vaccine is not effective or the advice after vaccination is incorrect.

C’mon man

By the way, returning to the OP, who won the Ranger game that started this thread.;)

judsonhamlin
04-14-2021, 07:56 PM
I think this thread goes back to when Jim Bibby was starting for Texas

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 08:16 PM
The Net54 general assembly is nearly as effective as the United Nations in resolving the problems we all face.

Either the vaccine is not effective or the advice after vaccination is incorrect.

C’mon man

By the way, returning to the OP, who won the Ranger game that started this thread.;)

Oh and lets not forget we only need to do this until we flatten the curve...

And don't get me started on "Masks Don't Work" Fauci...not to be confused with "Masks Do Work" Fauci"....and his doppleganger "I don't know why Texas hasn't had a spike without masks" Fauci

Tabe
04-14-2021, 08:18 PM
How about numbers from the official Texas Department of State Health Services site.

3-31 3.1K new cases
4-6 3.4K new cases
4-7 3.3K new cases
4-13 4.4Knew cases

Looks like a recent spike to me. :D https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspx

Weird that you have a link that supports my blatant lies and stupid misinformation.

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 08:19 PM
I think this thread goes back to when Jim Bibby was starting for Texas

I love the people who hate that there's a non-baseball conversation taking place, yet they keep reading it.

Treat this like your childhood monster in the closet. If you avert your eyes, it's not there.

Tabe
04-14-2021, 08:19 PM
I'm going to trust my local Houston ABC affiliate more than your source. But nice try.

It's a local Texas newspaper.

Try harder.

Fballguy
04-14-2021, 08:21 PM

3-31 3.1K new cases
4-6 3.4K new cases
4-7 3.3K new cases
4-13 4.4Knew cases

Law of small numbers. The population of Texas is 29,000,000.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2021, 08:48 PM
It's a local Texas newspaper.

Try harder.

You live on the biggest sh!thole state in the US and you're going to run your mouth about Texas? Do you really want to go there? I'll definitely play along.

bnorth
04-14-2021, 08:51 PM
You live on the biggest sh!thole state in the US and you're going to run your mouth about Texas? Do you really want to go there? I'll definitely play along.

Awesome, maybe you could send him some of those racist homophobic profanity filled PMs like you have sent me in the past. That will learn him.:D

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2021, 08:52 PM
Awesome, maybe you could send him some of those racist homophobic profanity filled PMs like you have sent me in the past. That will learn him.:D

Really? Post them. You have my permission.

bnorth
04-14-2021, 08:59 PM
Really? Post them. You have my permission.

Why would I keep them?:confused:

Are you saying you did not send any to me? If so you are a liar.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2021, 09:02 PM
Why would I keep them?:confused:

Are you saying you did not send any to me? If so you are a liar.

Um, no. The one among us that is the ex convict is the liar.

Tabe
04-14-2021, 11:18 PM

Another weird comment by you.

You're the one upset by a fact from a local Texas newspaper that refuted your falsehoods. I don't think that qualifies as me "running my mouth about Texas". I love Texas, FWIW. Nicest people ever.

egri
04-15-2021, 05:10 AM

The UN did a good job opposing the North Koreans when they crossed the 38th parallel. Now, that was 71 years ago and they only intervened because the Russian delegate was on vacation and the One China policy was still in effect, and they later fired MacArthur for almost winning the war, but let's not let details get in the way ;).

vintagetoppsguy
04-15-2021, 05:13 AM
Another weird comment by you.

You're the one upset by a fact from a local Texas newspaper that refuted your falsehoods. I don't think that qualifies as me "running my mouth about Texas". I love Texas, FWIW. Nicest people ever.

2 contradicting news articles. Why does yours trump mine? What makes yours right and mine wrong? I'm pretty sure my source is much more reputable than yours.

earlywynnfan
04-15-2021, 05:55 AM

C’mon man

Remember, the mask isn't for your safety after the vaccine, it's for the people around you that haven't gotten it. Vaccination doesn't stop you from getting it, it's supposed to stop you from having symptoms. So if you have it, which you probably won't know because you won't feel it, you can give it to the next guy at work. The vaccine protects you, the mask protects the spread.

irv
04-15-2021, 06:20 AM

C’mon man

Exactly! We are in another lockdown up here and like it has always been, when we are locked down, isolating, wearing our masks, washing our hands, only going out for essentials, etc, our cases spike. :confused:

Many have had the shot, my father, other family members and friends yet their lives haven't changed one bit as they have to do exactly the same things as those that haven't had the shot??
I believe we are being played, reconditioned, but of course, I'm a conspiracy theorist.:rolleyes:

BREAKING: CNN Insider admits they hyped COVID to drive ratings. Hoped more people died.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1382364998069059591?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1382364998069059591%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freedomsledder.com%2Find ex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Demb edurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FJackPosobiec%2 Fstatus%2F1382364998069059591%3Fs%3D20

:eek:

AustinMike
04-15-2021, 06:20 AM
You kind of harpoon your point with your second paragraph. You start by saying cigarettes, alcohol and guns can't hurt others (Really? Guns? You need that one explained?), then go on to point out how cigarettes hurt others. I'm sure there are thousands of kids growing up in homes where parents are smoking. What's the Govt doing about that?

Here's an analogy for you...Forcing everyone to wear a mask, was like the Gov't saying everyone has to wear a motorcycle helmet whether you own a motorcycle or not. After all, you might get hit by someone riding one.

Making stuff up doesn't prove a thing. Nor does it turn bananas into apples.

Where did I say cigarettes, alcohol, and guns can't hurt anyone? Where? Quote any of my posts where I said what you falsely claim I said.

And then, there you go again. In the same post. Making stuff up. When did the government ever say everyone has to wear a motorcycle helmet whether you own a motorcycle or not? The government never said any such thing. If I'm wrong, cite an article that says otherwise.

I don't know what it is you're smoking or drinking, but you should give it up. You need to try living in reality for a while.

AustinMike
04-15-2021, 06:29 AM
I believe we are being played, reconditioned, but of course, I'm a conspiracy theorist.:rolleyes:

BREAKING: CNN Insider admits they hyped COVID to drive ratings. Hoped more people died.

Yes, you are. And you're probably worse if you follow Posobiec on Twitter.

The twitter account you cite is from Jack Posobiec. "Posobiec is best known for his pro-Donald Trump comments on Twitter, as well as using white supremacist and antisemitic symbols and talking points, including the white genocide conspiracy theory. He has promoted fake news, including the debunked Pizzagate conspiracy theory claiming high-ranking Democratic Party officials were involved in a child sex ring. Since 2018, Posobiec has been employed by One America News Network (OANN), a far-right cable news television channel, as a political correspondent and on-air presenter." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Posobiec

irv
04-15-2021, 06:48 AM

The twitter account you cite is from Jack Posobiec. "Posobiec is best known for his pro-Donald Trump comments on Twitter, as well as using white supremacist and antisemitic symbols and talking points, including the white genocide conspiracy theory. He has promoted fake news, including the debunked Pizzagate conspiracy theory claiming high-ranking Democratic Party officials were involved in a child sex ring. Since 2018, Posobiec has been employed by One America News Network (OANN), a far-right cable news television channel, as a political correspondent and on-air presenter." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Posobiec

The CNN director is right on video stating those things but yet you deflect and believe more made up fake stories about the author all in an effort to discredit him.
Did you watch the other video's I posted at the end of pg 3 where the same CNN director talks about how they fooled the sheep like yourself to believe in the propaganda and fake news to used to sink Donald Trump?
Did you watch where they are now going to ramp up the global warming train for Biden and Dems because fear sells? $$$

Hopefully someday, Mike, you realize you are being played, being lied to, being brainwashed into believing all this nonsense, but of course, my hopes for you aren't very strong.

I suppose you believe the recent cold snap, snowstorm that you just experienced in Texas is also global warming because that's what the likes of CNN and other global warming alarmists sites told you?

vintagetoppsguy
04-15-2021, 06:48 AM

All that other nonsense aside, are you saying the video is not real? You can trash the source all you want, but what do you think of the video?

Nice deflection by the way...taken straight out of the liberal playbook.

Fballguy
04-15-2021, 06:57 AM
All that other nonsense aside, are you saying the video is not real? You can trash the source all you want, but what do you think of the video?

Nice deflection by the way...taken straight out of the liberal playbook.

You won't get a response. Reality scares them back into their crying closets.

Leon
04-15-2021, 07:00 AM
So this thread, as I feared it would, has gotten a little more political than is necessary. Lets get back to cards...

https://luckeycards.com/t206x2.jpg