PDA

View Full Version : Best hobby advice you've received.

Cmount76
04-04-2021, 06:24 PM
A number of years ago, I was setting up at my first show. I pulled up in the morning and watched all of the "real dealers" unload their cars and begin setting up. While I was setting up, a number of veteran guys came by to say hello and check out what I had. Still feeling quite insecure, I asked a dealer by the name of Chuck if he thought that I had anything that anyone would want. He looked over my showcases, smiled, and said "There's an ass for every seat, my man".

That resonated with me. It let me know that I belonged and I could hang with the big boys!

And so now I ask you - What was the sage bit of wisdom that resonated with you?

bnorth
04-04-2021, 06:28 PM
Stay away from graded cards. You can own way more and way nicer cards for the same price.

Bored5000
04-04-2021, 06:32 PM
"Collect what you like." That is something I constantly remind myself. No one can collect everything from either a money or a space standpoint. As much as I would like to have a rare Babe Ruth card or a 52T Mantle, I find myself loving some of the $200 cards in my collection that mean something to me personally even more than if I had a big money baseball card.

conor912
04-04-2021, 06:37 PM
I’ve had a few.

1. The first relates to Ben’s. Don’t become caught up in the graded hype. I only collect raw cards and love it.

2. Don’t be the guy who puts together sets with exmt commons and vg HOFers.

3. There’s no too much, only too soon.

Mark17
04-04-2021, 06:42 PM
You have fun by building complete sets; you make money by breaking complete sets.

bbnut
04-04-2021, 07:02 PM
Stay on top of the organizing. You appreciate your collection more if you know what you have.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vegas Cards
04-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Here's one I've broken and regretted. Never sell your Mantles.

There are several other names you could insert there - Cobbs, Ruths, etc.

ullmandds
04-04-2021, 07:05 PM
buy what you like!

buy the card not the holder!

Buy Cobb and Ruth!

Buy low...sell high!!!!!

Johnny630
04-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Never Pay Up for Off Grade.....The Upside Potential Is Very Limited.

Don’t Build Sets Buy 4 Guys for Investment, Strong Centered Exmnt or Better

Ruth, Cobb, Jackie, and Mantle

These are the first cards I get asked about when I’m selling and when I’m buying these are the last any collector wants to sell.

Do this for the long-term and you’ll never lose.

RTK
04-04-2021, 07:14 PM
"Collect what you like." That is something I constantly remind myself. No one can collect everything from either a money or a space standpoint. As much as I would like to have a rare Babe Ruth card or a 52T Mantle, I find myself loving some of the $200 cards in my collection that mean something to me personally even more than if I had a big money baseball card.

Absolutely, so very true. I've never bought a card over a couple hundred bucks despite being able to afford cards that are more substantial. The cards that bring me my most joy are the ones I collected as a kid, they wouldn't grade very high but they mean the world to me. I suppose that's why I like cards that look like they were carried in a shoe box by a kid riding a Schwinn Sting Ray. They tell a story...

todeen
04-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Buy it when you see it, because you probably won't see it again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Brian Van Horn
04-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Not received, but I'll give. Wait out the cons.

egri
04-04-2021, 07:29 PM
You have fun by building complete sets; you make money by breaking complete sets.

I don't have any experience with the breaking sets part, but the first half is definitely true. I sometimes wonder what I'll do when I complete my project. Probably pick another set to drive myself up the wall with.

chalupacollects
04-04-2021, 07:34 PM
I've heard at times: There's an ass IN every seat...:D

Wanaselja
04-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Buy the card not the grade.
Be patient.
Don’t be afraid to pay up for a nice card.
Collect what you love.

All were received on this forum.

One 'ol Cat
04-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Get that stuff out of the family room. - The Wife

Arazi4442
04-04-2021, 07:47 PM
I’m with Adam and Eddie, first rule, second rule and third rule - collect what you enjoy.

Unless you’re flipping as a way to pay the bills, don’t get too hung up on the money. (Oh no, my cards have only gone up x% while others have gone up 5x%) Everything will have its ebbs and flows. Lastly, if there’s something you’d really enjoy but it’s a couple bucks more than you thought, get it. Very, very few purchases I regret but many more I wish I’d pulled the trigger on.

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Let's put it this way. If anyone ever finds a 1981 Topps George Brett card with the right two letters written in black crayon on the back I will pay almost anything to get it back.

Personal meaning is everything. Collect what means something to you.

hcv123
04-04-2021, 07:55 PM
1) Buy the card not the holder

2) You'll regret the cards you didn't buy WAY more than the ones you "paid too much for" at the time.

buymycards
04-04-2021, 08:06 PM
A coin dealer friend of my always told me that "you make your money when you buy".

ajjohnsonsoxfan
04-04-2021, 08:11 PM
Quality doesn’t cost, it pays.

JollyElm
04-04-2021, 08:13 PM
Leave the gun...take the cards.

ajquigs
04-04-2021, 08:16 PM
Bored5000
Absolutely, so very true. I've never bought a card over a couple hundred bucks despite being able to afford cards that are more substantial. The cards that bring me my most joy are the ones I collected as a kid, they wouldn't grade very high but they mean the world to me. I suppose that's why I like cards that look like they were carried in a shoe box by a kid riding a Schwinn Sting Ray. They tell a story...

Yep, I agree. In my mind the original owner of a card should be a nine year old kid. The cards I’d part with last are the ones where I know that’s the case, because I was that kid.

davidb
04-04-2021, 09:09 PM
In 1994 I decided to purchase one playing days card of every "player" in the baseball HOF. I was the sole bread winner with five kids, a mortgage payment and bought only what I could afford at the time. Most of my cards are G-VG however I get a thrill every time I walk into my man cave and see 230 Baseball Hall of Famers on my wall.

Rhotchkiss
04-04-2021, 09:29 PM
“Never Get Cheated”

Exhibitman
04-04-2021, 09:38 PM
Let the investment stuff go in one ear and out the other. If you want to invest, admit you are not a collector and stop pretending otherwise.

Collect what you like and consider it the equivalent of playing a round of golf: a sunk cost of fun. You may be surprised in the future by a price increase and that's great, but just enjou what you have while you have it.

I have to credit Leon with a good one some years ago when I was stressing over a sizable purchase and could not quite reach a deal with the seller: don't let $100 stand between you and a tough card you really want.

Harliduck
04-04-2021, 09:51 PM
I can resonate with just about everything mentioned here. As a set collector one thing that was discussed here years ago really changed my approach and strategy -

*Keep your sets condition consistent. If you want a VG set, make them ALL VG...PSA 9...then PSA 9, EX raw (my preference), hold EVERY card to the same standard. Nothing worse than thumbing through a set and the condition is all over the place! For my initial sets it was the opposite mentioned above, my stars looked better than my commons...set looked like crap. The card next to your Mantle in the binder better look sweet! :)

Kidnapped18
04-04-2021, 09:54 PM
In regards to building a 1914 Cracker Jack set "When you see them, buy them."

moogpowell
04-04-2021, 10:07 PM
Personally, I stick to vintage. I like everything about those cards aesthetically and the risk/reward financially is much better than modern I think. I learned the hard way that speculating on tomorrow's heroes today is daunting. For those who have the time and ability to invest in modern cards it may be worth it. But I have piles of Gregg Jefferies rookies, etc. that never panned out.

ZiggerZagger
04-04-2021, 10:44 PM
Buy it when you see it, because you probably won't see it again.

Yes Tim! If a cards is speaking to you, it's probably going to speak to the guy coming right behind you as well.

And that goes double while walking the aisles at the National...

This dovetails nicely with Howard's truism above:

2) You'll regret the cards you didn't buy WAY more than the ones you "paid too much for" at the time.

LEHR
04-05-2021, 02:54 AM
• Always think quality over quantity.

• You make your money when buying, not selling.

BabyRuth
04-05-2021, 04:28 AM
Always buy Babe Ruth cards, he's not gonna have a bad year.

Rich Klein
04-05-2021, 06:27 AM
A coin dealer friend of my always told me that "you make your money when you buy".

Alan Rosen told me the exact same thing in 1981

Seven
04-05-2021, 06:49 AM
From various posters on here:

Collect what you like
The only purchases you regret are the ones you don't make
Buy raw when you can

sportscardpete
04-05-2021, 07:38 AM
If a card you want is rare and does not come up for sale often do not worry about finding the right market value. Worry about getting the card (within what you can afford).

Also, yesterdays expensive card is todays bargain.

obcbobd
04-05-2021, 08:06 AM
When putting cards in 9 pocket pages, that last card's number in a page should all add up to 9

9 = 9
18 = 1 + 8 = 9
27 = 2 + 7 = 9
etc

I keep an eye on this and often I catch a mistake early which I can rectify without having to switch too many cards.

todeen
04-05-2021, 08:07 AM
“Never Get Cheated”This is the one that has resonated with me since I joined this community.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TobaccoKing4
04-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Not really applicable to vintage but it was to stop opening packs and buy singles instead

conor912
04-05-2021, 08:34 AM
When putting cards in 9 pocket pages, that last card's number in a page should all add up to 9

9 = 9
18 = 1 + 8 = 9
27 = 2 + 7 = 9
etc

I keep an eye on this and often I catch a mistake early which I can rectify without having to switch too many cards.

Hahaha. I once put a large modern set in pages, and when I was done I realized #s 1 and 2 were stuck together. It was a long afternoon.

ALR-bishop
04-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Don’t believe everything you hear on chat board

DanP
04-05-2021, 09:44 AM

9 = 9
18 = 1 + 8 = 9
27 = 2 + 7 = 9
etc

LOL... I’ve put a few sets together and did not know this.
Thanks!

Kzoo
04-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Buy the best example you can afford.

Pat R
04-05-2021, 10:00 AM
Don't believe anything you read or hear and only half of what you see.

philliesfan
04-05-2021, 10:00 AM
This was advice I gave and not received.

I was a weekend warrier back in the day. A boy about 14 years old and his father approached me and asked if this was a good deal another dealer offered. The boy would have gotten complete Topps sets from 1977 to about 1983 and a 1963 Fleer set. He would have given up a Goudy Ruth card autographed. To me, the card and autograph looked authentic. I guess it did to the other dealer also.
I told him absolutely not. I told him if he wanted complete sets, he could build them as they were plentiful back then and the 1963 would have taken a little more effort. I really urged him to keep the card.
I do not know what happened but I sure hope he took my advice.

Bob

dio
04-05-2021, 10:23 AM
buy vintage, mantle, hold and not sell

Don't worry about overpaying at the moment, you'll regret not spending more in a few years

jingram058
04-05-2021, 11:58 AM
Don't try going into the 52 Topps set cold. Unless you have bottomless pockets, some valuable trade bait, or inherited a fortune, it's a huge set and you'll never get The Mick, and others whose cards will set you back a fortune. Get into 53 Bowman color instead; it's only 160 cards and very doable (fellow collector I made a huge trade with).

Bliggity
04-05-2021, 12:31 PM
Lots of good advice for set collectors in here, but the best advice I received about set collecting (which unfortunately came too late for me with some sets) is to always buy the highest-$ cards first. If you start with commons and lower-mid HOFers first, by the time you get around to the Cobb or Wagner, it will have doubled in price, and either (a) you're never going to finish the set, or (b) you're going to settle for a lower-condition card just to complete, and you'll have an unbalanced set you won't be happy with.

I am 2/3 done with a T205 set in PSA 3 and have most of the HOFers, but I didn't get a Cobb (or Young or WaJo) while I could, and now it's out of reach except in 1/A grades. Same experience with '34 Goudey and the Gehrigs. And N28. And N162. (See a pattern?)

Conversely, I picked up a '53 Bowman Mantle a couple years ago, and it made building the rest of the set seem very reasonable. The next set I'm planning to build has a Ruth that is still just under $1K, so that will definitely be my first purchase. Suppose I better get on that.

kailes2872
04-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Collect what you like. That way, if it all goes to hell and the market collapses, you still have what you like.

If you want to invest, buy a mutual fund. It offers more liquidity and less transaction costs.

You didn't pay too much, you just bought too soon.

Belfast1933
04-05-2021, 12:50 PM
In 1994 I decided to purchase one playing days card of every "player" in the baseball HOF. I was the sole bread winner with five kids, a mortgage payment and bought only what I could afford at the time. Most of my cards are G-VG however I get a thrill every time I walk into my man cave and see 230 Baseball Hall of Famers on my wall.

That’s exactly my current card journey too, David! I’m about 110 cards or so into my goal.... it’s actually a lot of fun. I agonize on choosing exactly the “right one” for every card I choose

Would love to see photos of your collection, if you’d be willing to share! In fact, I might even start a thread to see how many others of “us” are out there

Enjoy / Jeff

Yoda
04-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Alan Rosen told me the exact same thing in 1981

Rich, I recall setting up in about the late 90's at Ft. Washington, PA across the aisle from Alan, who was residing in the Poobah Chair right at the entrance, with, of course, the open briefcase filled with crisp Benjamins and his faithful companion "Zubes" at his side (guarding the cash?). I exchanged a few words with him and he remarked that some guy would come in with some raw '52 Topps, most of them in lousy condition but that there would be a few nice high series cards. And the guy wouldn't know anything about high numbers. Alan rubbed his hands in anticipation while I went off to get one of those foul cheeseburgers. Well, at the end of the show he walked over to my table and laid out, yes, some nice high numbers, including, as I recall, a Reese, Robby and a beat up Mathews
I kinda, sorta miss the old rascal, and wouldn't he be amazed at the state of the current market. He thrived on deals and money.

Snapolit1
04-05-2021, 01:54 PM
Don't believe people who tell you the market is insane and about to collapse. Many of them have been a broken record for 20 years.

Wimberleycardcollector
04-05-2021, 05:16 PM
In all my hobbies - "Collect what you like." It may be worth nothing tomorrow.

brunswickreeves
04-05-2021, 05:25 PM
1) If you can't afford to buy it twice, it's too expensive and you'll obsess over the price;
2) Pay 15% less than the average trending sale price for the grade/condition, omitting the upper and lower prices outliers, you can always resell at break even or better

mrreality68
04-05-2021, 05:33 PM
Ruth Ruth and More Ruth

With a Side Order of Jackson

Casey2296
04-05-2021, 06:01 PM
I found the best pre-war collecting advice while reading Dante's Divine Comedy.

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here...

Bobbycee
04-05-2021, 07:12 PM
If you can afford the HOFers, don't let them pass you by. Grab them first.

Eric72
04-05-2021, 09:10 PM
This thread reminded me of a card that was on my eBay watch list for a while. I don't remember exactly when I first saw it, but last summer sounds about right.

It was reasonably priced (for the issue) but an expensive card...for my budget, anyway. I probably came close to hitting "buy it now" a dozen times this past fall and winter, yet never went through with it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I figured it had probably sold by now; however, decided to check anyway. Surprisingly, the card was still available. Same price, too. Something was different now, though. There were 11 watchers.

Screw that. I'd spent too much time pondering the question of whether or not to buy this card. After dragging my feet for far too long, I somehow still had a chance to make the purchase. Those other 11 people can go find their own damn card. This one is mine. :cool:

Needless to say, I (finally) pulled the trigger and the card is on its way to me. All things considered, I'd have kicked myself for not seizing the opportunity...

conor912
04-05-2021, 09:25 PM
This thread reminded me of a card that was on my eBay watch list for a while. I don't remember exactly when I first saw it, but last summer sounds about right.

It was reasonably priced (for the issue) but an expensive card...for my budget, anyway. I probably came close to hitting "buy it now" a dozen times this past fall and winter, yet never went through with it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I figured it had probably sold by now; however, decided to check anyway. Surprisingly, the card was still available. Same price, too. Something was different now, though. There were 11 watchers.

Screw that. I'd spent too much time pondering the question of whether or not to buy this card. After dragging my feet for far too long, I somehow still had a chance to make the purchase. Those other 11 people can go find their own damn card. This one is mine. :cool:

Needless to say, I (finally) pulled the trigger and the card is on its way to me. All things considered, I'd have kicked myself for not seizing the opportunity...

Been there many times. My barometer is, if I don’t pull the trigger and someone else does, will I kick myself? If yes, buy it NOW!

Harliduck
04-05-2021, 09:50 PM

9 = 9
18 = 1 + 8 = 9
27 = 2 + 7 = 9
etc

I learned this a couple of years ago...GAME CHANGER. Saves my bacon everytime I start bindering up cards. Last year my COVID project was to binder up all my old and new 1981 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer to 1990 sets...some of the sets were worth less than the binder and sheets...haha...but just wanted it done to honor my youth. I would have lost HOURS if I didn't add up every corner to make sure is added up to 9. Again, game saver!

Rich Klein
04-06-2021, 05:37 AM
Rich, I recall setting up in about the late 90's at Ft. Washington, PA across the aisle from Alan, who was residing in the Poobah Chair right at the entrance, with, of course, the open briefcase filled with crisp Benjamins and his faithful companion "Zubes" at his side (guarding the cash?). I exchanged a few words with him and he remarked that some guy would come in with some raw '52 Topps, most of them in lousy condition but that there would be a few nice high series cards. And the guy wouldn't know anything about high numbers. Alan rubbed his hands in anticipation while I went off to get one of those foul cheeseburgers. Well, at the end of the show he walked over to my table and laid out, yes, some nice high numbers, including, as I recall, a Reese, Robby and a beat up Mathews
I kinda, sorta miss the old rascal, and wouldn't he be amazed at the state of the current market. He thrived on deals and money.

In this market there would be no one better than Al at a show.

Rich

egri
04-06-2021, 09:19 AM

A few years ago, when I was in college and had been working on my 1953 Topps set for about a year, I found a semi-tough card I needed on eBay. The seller and I went back and forth over the price, and we finally got to be about $2 apart. The card was roughly $40, so as a percentage $2 was a bit of a gap, and as a college student collecting vintage I was buying champagne on a beer budget, so I really had to watch every dollar. It was getting late, so I figured I'd sleep on the seller's counteroffer and see how I felt in the morning. As I lay down, I said to myself "I've been looking for this card for over a year. Am I really going to let it get away over $2?" I woke back up and accepted the counteroffer.

Rich Klein
04-06-2021, 10:30 AM
I've had several people ask me recently about going "full-time" in this business (all modern people)

My one piece of advice to them is: and it's something I've picked up over the years

"If you are going to be a dealer, then you should not be a collector. Otherwise, money spent on your Pete Alonso collection should be spent on items for you to re-sell. For now, your collecting days are done."

I will also state if you have other income coming in then you can keep your collection going.

Rich

rjackson44
04-06-2021, 11:26 AM
Buy vintage hockey

bnorth
04-06-2021, 11:36 AM
I've had several people ask me recently about going "full-time" in this business (all modern people)

My one piece of advice to them is: and it's something I've picked up over the years

"If you are going to be a dealer, then you should not be a collector. Otherwise, money spent on your Pete Alonso collection should be spent on items for you to re-sell. For now, your collecting days are done."

I will also state if you have other income coming in then you can keep your collection going.

Rich

That is great advise Rich.

Listen when told do not buy from (insert name). Because if they will screw over others they will screw you over also.

One of my favorite times I just shook my head was when a member on here asked if anyone knew who a eBay ID belonged to. I told him who it was and the seller is a well known card doctor. So the moron said "I guess I will have to look at the card really good when I buy it".LOL

This hobby will remain a joke as long as we let it.

Frankish
04-06-2021, 11:41 AM
So true about not mixing business with pleasure. A number of times I've thought about becoming a small dealer because I enjoy buying and handling cards so much. But I'm not sure I'd be that great of a seller (too much of a softy, plus collecting would always be an anchor). If only the tax situation for hobbyists wasn't so brutal, I could just let the idea go....

Buy vintage hockey

Oh, man, I wish I had listened when the little voice in my head was urging me to buy those early 50s Parkhurst cards for a song a few years ago. At least I bought a bunch of 70s hockey, so it's something. A small something, as I only got one Gretzky, but something nonetheless.

Gobucsmagic74
04-06-2021, 12:35 PM
The time to buy it is when you see it. Buy the rare caramel Cobb when it comes up and fund it with something you can replace later

Everything is for sale at the right price

If you have to sell something, try to sell it to a fellow collector. There's many reasons for this but it comes in handy if you ever really want the card back!

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-06-2021, 01:53 PM

Rich

I found out that I have the perfect collector personality to be an auctioneer. It turns out I'm completely cool with getting to say "We had that" as opposed to saying "I have that." That started when I was a dealer but became more important as an auctioneer, and it made the transition fairly easy.

Exhibitman
04-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Plastics...

timzcardz
04-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Plastics...

This is SO funny in many ways!

JollyElm
04-06-2021, 03:18 PM
Short rant:
I have to say with the number of people talking about the 'divisible by 9' binder page thing here...how in heck wasn't that always blatantly obvious?????????? I mean, c'mon!!!!!!!!!!!

Exhibitman
04-06-2021, 03:21 PM
And some advice for the many, many people who take this stuff way too seriously

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/quit%20bitching.jpg

topcat61
04-06-2021, 04:34 PM
The best Hobby advice I ever received was - Get a second opinion if you're unsure of the purchase. The second best advice I ever received was - If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

jbsports33
04-06-2021, 04:36 PM
Have fun and enjoy! Buy at least one Ruth, Mantle, Jackie Robinson and Ted Williams card for your collection - oh wait Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Lou Gehrig and many more! do you have any more money? - how about a Joe DiMaggio

Do not get too involved and buy what you like!

Shows are the best and traveling to shows with friends and family is even better - soon we will have more shows. The stories in between are a lot of fun too!

Happy Collecting!

Michael B
04-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Plastics...

Okay Sam Wainwright. (got the character name wrong at first)

brianp-beme
04-06-2021, 06:45 PM
No one but myself gave me this advice, but I would like to share it.

The only slabs that collectors should care about are the slabs of gum that used to come in packs of Topps cards.

Brian

mintacular
04-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Your best deal may be "no deal". Be willing to walk away more often than not my answer is "no". Time is $. What is the opportunity cost?

MVSNYC
04-06-2021, 08:09 PM
Buy the best card, of the best player, in the best condition, you can.

-Scott Levy

YankeeCollector
04-07-2021, 08:04 PM
Buy Ruth!!! Thanks Joe T!

Also buy only centered cards!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
04-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Your best deal may be "no deal". Be willing to walk away more often than not my answer is "no". Time is $. What is the opportunity cost?Mine is similar - "You'll get better deals if the seller knows that you are willing to walk away."

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FrankWakefield
04-09-2021, 08:34 PM
When you're the winning high bidder at an auction, you can be certain that you were paying more than every other person interested in the item.

Acquire two of everything, then you'll have one to trade.

Know what you're buying, know the cards; do not trust the grading companies.

Collect the cards, not the slabs.

When buying 1952 Topps as a kid, I'd have made more money if I'd thrown the cards away and safely kept the wrappers and sold those now, rather than have kept the cards and discarded the wrappers. (I paraphrase what and older collector told me about buying 52 Topps, wasn't around then.)

When working on a set, if you buy a filler card that you're not happy with, you'll end up buying that card twice. (I can remember this, but I've disregarded it a few times, so that I experienced negative reinforcement when I ended up buying a better version of the card.)

It's a hobby, it's just cardboard; it's not an investment.

Popcorn
04-09-2021, 10:54 PM
collectibles only sell if someone thinks it’s a good deal

bnorth
04-10-2021, 07:25 AM
Never send a card in a PWE with a thick piece(s) of cardboard. The cardboard greatly increases the chance of the card getting damaged and the buyer getting their card with postage due.

jchcollins
04-11-2021, 04:40 PM
Random, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot - but here is what comes to the top of my head:

1. Don't have regrets. Most of us have sold some cards that we have at least some level of passive regret over at some point in time later. But at least in my case, the funds from those sales allowed me to buy other cards I had wanted that I didn't have before. It's all about the fun and the experience - and remember our one ride on this merry go-round is kind of short when you look at the big picture. Enjoy your cards and don't focus on mistakes with your collection. As the late Dr. Richard Carlson once said, "Remember, every hundred years? All new people!" Don't spend more time than you have to in that window regretting things you can no longer change.

2. If you are more of a collector than an investor or speculator in cards, know that third party grading services have extremely limited utility. Basically, they are useful if you are buying a card online, sight-unseen, and want peace of mind that the "EX" card you just bought doesn't have a glaring, hidden crease. But if you are mainly doing PC and don't sell a lot of cards, once that slab arrives in your mailbox, the look of the card isn't going to change no matter the grade on the flip. So, (unlike me in the past...) don't get caught up with why this card only got a 6 when you thought it was a strong 7, or why that card you were sure was a 5 only got a 3.5 from PSA. That is the head game that ALL TPG's want collectors to buy into to keep them submitting and re-submitting cards ad nauseum until the end of time. Are you pleased with how the card LOOKS, and how it fits in your collection? If not, then upgrade. If you are, then realize that for whims, days of the week, the weather, what grader you did or did not get - that you could likely resubmit the same card over and over again and rarely get the exact same grade every time. Grading that is at all related to eye appeal is subjective, and always will be. No matter how many computers or HGA grading companies enter the picture.

3. Don't get caught up in trying to "Keep up with the Joneses" in terms of your collection and how bad@ss you think it is or is not and how that in turn makes you come off in groups like this one as a collector. With extremely scarce exceptions, somebody somewhere has a better collection than you do. All of you. And in turn, your collection also blows somebody's (and likely a lot of somebody's...) away too. Collect what makes you happy, and don't make it a competition with everything you see on message boards, on YouTube, or anywhere else you discuss the hobby with other people.

Casey2296
04-11-2021, 11:23 PM
3. Don't get caught up in trying to "Keep up with the Joneses" in terms of your collection and how bad@ss you think it is or is not and how that in turn makes you come off in groups like this one as a collector. With extremely scarce exceptions, somebody somewhere has a better collection than you do. All of you. And in turn, your collection also blows somebody's (and likely a lot of somebody's...) away too. Collect what makes you happy, and don't make it a competition with everything you see on message boards, on YouTube, or anywhere else you discuss the hobby with other people

+100. Can't stress how important this is. I owned a Blues club for 25 years and one quote I'll always remember was from George "Harmonica" Smith when he would invite the young guys up on stage to play. He'd say "Man, do your thing, just do your thing". Same thing with collecting, "Man, just do your thing".

darwinbulldog
04-12-2021, 04:26 AM
Okay Sam Wainwright. (got the character name wrong at first)

Pop culture tip: whenever someone just says "Plastics" it's a Graduate reference, not It's a Wonderful Life.

polakoff
04-12-2021, 05:56 AM
Many have already been said but:

Collect what you like
Buy the card, not the holder
If investing: buy the best card you can in the best condition you can

Gradedcardman
04-12-2021, 06:18 AM
Never advise fellow collectors of your true collection needs. The prices then sky rocket.

Exhibitman
04-12-2021, 07:40 AM
Forget all the damned money and political crap in the big drama show threads and post cards. Lots of cards.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous5/websize/1948%20Leaf%20Wagner%201.jpg

And like Honus said, don't use tobacco.

bnorth
04-12-2021, 07:41 AM
Never advise fellow collectors of your true collection needs. The prices then sky rocket.

Learned this one the hard way more than once. Especially if it is a high end card in a specific condition.

Another is the "make me an offer" seller. No matter how good your offer is the seller will ask for more because you are showing interest.

Republicaninmass
04-12-2021, 07:44 AM
Learned this one the hard way more than once. Especially if it is a high end card in a specific condition.

Another is the "make me an offer" seller. No matter how good your offer is the seller will ask for more because you are showing interest.

Dont make a WTB post either!

Leon
04-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Best hobby advice? Buy the card....not the holder.

https://luckeycards.com/greencobb.jpg

bnorth
04-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Dont make a WTB post either!

Very true, I have 2 rare cards that I buy every one I see so I don't even mention I collect those 2 cards.

brianp-beme
04-13-2021, 01:40 PM
Make sure to frequently post really beat up cards, because then it will make everyone else feel better about the cards they own.

Brian (once again my advice...no one would ever advise me to do this)

Rich Klein
04-13-2021, 07:00 PM
Really good one I just saw

See a deal, buy the deal. Once you haggle, you open up for the seller to be aware.

Steve_NY
04-13-2021, 08:34 PM
So many great statements -- but mine are quite similar: (I started collecting in 1957 and became a "dealer" in 1976 and I did start advertising items for sale by 1964 --wish I had those items back today):

1 -- Buy what you like -- if you get stuck with it, you still own something you like. So I do have about a 1,000 beanies but they are all Disney or Warners, so guess what, I still like them -- all of my Mickeys and other comic characters.

2 -- Just like the stock market, don't put all of your money into one stock/player. I might make an exception for Ruth, Mantle and many similar players.

3-- Focus on the "keys" that you can afford. Besides sports, I did the same in non sports and comic books. While non sports has cooled down, there are some keys and comic books that I literally have hundreds of or more.

4 -- Negotiate with everyone for a better price. It can't hurt to try and all they can do is say no. Yes, that can turn them off, so you buy something else.

5 -- When I started selling in 1976, it was for me a clear end to most of my collecting but it did not stop me from investing in "quality" and often "quantity". It's tough to sell at shows almost every weekend in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990's, and continue collecting when you were buying collections 5 to ten times a week. Those acquisitions were next weeks sales.

6 -- Have a mind of your own and don't always follow the trends. For me it has always been to figure out the next hot item, buy a ton of it and wait for the market to catch up. Not sure that would work now, but look at the last year!!

Steve

Stampsfan
04-14-2021, 01:24 AM
Best advice I received has been mentioned earlier:
If you see something you want for sale, buy it as it will disappear. I've picked up some really nice pieces, and have missed on things I will never see again by not following through with the purchase.

Best advice I have given:
If a seller makes an offer and the buyer doesn't take it, it's OK. If a seller makes an offer and the buyer doesn't take it, it's OK.
Both have the right to do so, without the other taking offense. At the end, both of you walk away happy. A deal not made is not personal.
We are not selling a kidney here.

Exhibitman
04-14-2021, 07:52 AM
We are not selling a kidney here.

Graded or raw?

perezfan
04-14-2021, 09:44 AM
Get to the mailbox before the wife.

Exhibitman
04-14-2021, 10:35 AM
Get to the mailbox before the wife.

Better yet, have your purchases sent to your office.

clydepepper
04-14-2021, 09:54 PM
A little voice in my head (which is much louder now): Now is NOT the time to buy!

jchcollins
04-15-2021, 08:30 AM
"Collect what you love" - I was once basically made fun of for being into "custom" cards, i.e. cards that never were, Topps Archives / Fan Favorites, etc. '63 Fleer Mantle. '34 Goudey Ruth. '76 Carlton Fisk with a different (and much better...) picture. Well you know what? I like these creations, and they usually cost a fraction of a fraction of what similar, playing days real issues of a lot of stars and HOF'ers cost. I like them because they are not reprints, just fakes of something that really was - but a different take on something that was - that never was.

One of my latest pickups like this is a '68 Topps 3D Mickey Mantle that they did in an Archives set a few years back. This is an incredible card - of course there was no real 3D Mantle that was issued in that test set. Topps picked a great photo of the Mick watching a ball that he had just parked go out. I can't imagine that a kid in 1968 wouldn't think that was just fabulous had it actually existed then. This may not be a real vintage card, but it's that same type of inspired joy I get out of it that I do many of my real ones. To me that's what the hobby is all about.

bnorth
04-15-2021, 08:40 AM
"Collect what you love" - I was once basically made fun of for being into "custom" cards, i.e. cards that never were. '63 Fleer Mantle. '34 Goudey Ruth. Well you know what? I like these creations, and they cost a fraction of a fraction of what similar, playing days real issues of a lot of stars and HOF'ers cost. I like them because they are not reprints, just fakes of something that really was - but a different take on something that was - that never was.

One of my latest pickups like this is a '68 Topps 3D Mickey Mantle that they did in an Archives set a few years back. This is an incredible card - of course there was no real 3D Mantle that was issued in that test set. Topps picked a great photo of the Mick watching a ball that he had just parked go out. I can't imagine that a kid in 1968 wouldn't think that was just fabulous had it actually existed then. This may not be a real vintage card, but it's that same type of inspired joy I get out of it that I do many of my real ones. To me that's what the hobby is all about.

^Great post^

I have got some of that grief for collecting reprint sets. Personally I like custom cards and reprints. I have a lot of vintage reprint sets and custom cards. They both make me very happy to own them.

jchcollins
04-15-2021, 08:57 AM
^Great post^

I have got some of that grief for collecting reprint sets. Personally I like custom cards and reprints. I have a lot of vintage reprint sets and custom cards. They both make me very happy to own them.

Myself I generally shy away from straight reprints, but that's just a personal preference. There is nothing wrong with reprints. If you are a fan of the game first and foremost, it's no different than hanging a print (as opposed to an original) of a ridiculously expensive piece of artwork on your wall.

The types of cards I'm talking about are anomalies. They are often of players who were never made in the real sets they get created into. GBSCC in Boston produced some fantastic cards in the past like this that were show promotions. You can get most of them on eBay for less than $10 apiece.

Mark17
04-15-2021, 09:09 AM
^Great post^

Some of those custom cards are terrific. I especially like it when they redo a card that had one of those hatless close-ups with a decent picture, like this:

What would be cool would be if somebody would make a fantasy set, with all new pictures of, say, 1966 Topps, and sell them in wax packs of 5 cards each (forget the gum.) If it could be done affordably, and without lawsuits, it would be a blast to open a box of them, with each card being something never seen before.

ASF123
04-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Some of those custom cards are terrific. I especially like it when they redo a card that had one of those hatless close-ups with a decent picture, like this:

What would be cool would be if somebody would make a fantasy set, with all new pictures of, say, 1966 Topps, and sell them in wax packs of 5 cards each (forget the gum.) If it could be done affordably, and without lawsuits, it would be a blast to open a box of them, with each card being something never seen before.That "somebody" would have to be (a) Topps; (b) somebody who pays Topps a lot of money for a license; or (c) somebody about to get sued by Topps. ;)

Plus, I assume the MLBPA doesn't administer the rights to former players' names, likenesses, etc. collectively, as I believe it does for (most) current players, does it? Topps obviously has contracted with various HOFers and other former stars for their rights for the Heritage products, etc., but to do a full set, they would probably have to negotiate individually with each player or his heirs.

mark evans
04-15-2021, 09:47 AM
From Bill James, and hence hobby advice:

"Never marry a pretty girl as they're accustomed to having their faults tolerated."

Unfortunately, I failed to follow it.

Exhibitman
04-15-2021, 09:48 AM
I enjoy some of the creative cards too. Like this 3D Jeter:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/modernbaseball/websize/2011%20Topps%20Lineage%20Jeter.jpg

The late Bob Lemke (RIP) used to create all sorts of cards that never were. I picked up a Red Man Mantle and a 1954 Bowman Aaron from him.

I commissioned this one to be made out of an autograph I got in person here in LA:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/comedians/websize/Idle_%20Eric.jpg

I also like the Vela art cards.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/modernbaseball/9Vela%20Kershaw.jpg

I guess it depends on whether you view cards as investments or something for fun. I think about the former but try to blend in a lot of the latter.

Mark17
04-15-2021, 09:58 AM
That "somebody" would have to be (a) Topps; (b) somebody who pays Topps a lot of money for a license; or (c) somebody about to get sued by Topps. ;)

Plus, I assume the MLBPA doesn't administer the rights to former players' names, likenesses, etc. collectively, as I believe it does for (most) current players, does it? Topps obviously has contracted with various HOFers and other former stars for their rights for the Heritage products, etc., but to do a full set, they would probably have to negotiate individually with each player or his heirs.

Admittedly the whole concept is fantasy.

icollectDCsports
04-15-2021, 01:02 PM
Admittedly the whole concept is fantasy.

I agree that it is a great idea.

skelly423
04-15-2021, 05:11 PM
Buy cards of players my wife (a complete non-fan) knows. If they’re famous enough to enter her zeitgeist, they’re the best of the best.

For the interested, my wife knows Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Mike Trout and “that guy who married Marilyn Monroe”.

JollyElm
04-15-2021, 05:36 PM
For anyone in the 'cards that never were' crowd who missed it way back when, definitely check out my long slog through the missing players of the 1972 'In Action' subset. Cool stuff.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219771

I was actually maybe thinking of creating customized versions of these cards for net54 members, or perhaps featuring their wives/husbands/kids/friends/whatever to be printed on a t-shirt? I dunno. Don't want to say too much and be charged with an ad placement fee. :eek:

bnorth
04-15-2021, 06:17 PM
For anyone in the 'cards that never were' crowd who missed it way back when, definitely check out my long slog through the missing players of the 1972 'In Action' subset. Cool stuff.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219771

I was actually maybe thinking of creating customized versions of these cards for net54 members, or perhaps featuring their wives/husbands/kids/friends/whatever to be printed on a t-shirt? I dunno. Don't want to say too much and be charged with an ad placement fee. :eek:

Those are awesome 1972 customs!

Casey2296
04-15-2021, 06:33 PM
Great stuff Darren, thanks for posting.

Bigdaddy
04-15-2021, 08:47 PM
1. The rose goes in the front, big guy.

2. When you get in a fight with a drunk, you don’t hit them with your pitching hand.

3. Never f— with a winning streak.

Exhibitman
04-15-2021, 10:05 PM
1. The rose goes in the front, big guy.

2. When you get in a fight with a drunk, you don’t hit them with your pitching hand.

3. Never f— with a winning streak.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/Guido%20The%20Killer%20Pimp.jpg

CobbSpikedMe
04-16-2021, 05:14 PM
Make sure to frequently post really beat up cards, because then it will make everyone else feel better about the cards they own.

Brian (once again my advice...no one would ever advise me to do this)

Hey Brian,

I like to follow this advice all the time here on Net54. I agree that it can help others feel good about their collections. ;)

Andy

Exhibitman
04-16-2021, 05:43 PM

Alrighty, then

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1952%20Topps%20Robinson.JPG

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous5/websize/1921%20E121%20Cobb%20Batting%20Series%20120.jpg

vintagebaseballcardguy
04-17-2021, 03:45 AM
Alrighty, then

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1952%20Topps%20Robinson.JPG

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous5/websize/1921%20E121%20Cobb%20Batting%20Series%20120.jpgAll ow me to assist....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210417/64a9e30445a0ff056445abe2647c672c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Exhibitman
04-17-2021, 09:34 AM
Nice but when it comes to pulverized cardboard I will not be outdone

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1947%20Bond%20Bread%20Robinson%201.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1954%20Johnston%20Cookies%20Aaron.jpg

CobbSpikedMe
04-17-2021, 11:25 AM
452718Nice but when it comes to pulverized cardboard I will not be outdone

I'll try Adam.

Exhibitman
04-17-2021, 12:09 PM
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous5/websize/1921%20Ruth.jpg

egri
04-17-2021, 12:33 PM
https://net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=1365&pictureid=30549

When I sent this card to Porter, he wrote back that he felt so bad about how beat up it was that was enclosing a custom card so I'd have one in better condition. When I put it on top of a less beat up card, the damage becomes more apparent; the picture doesn't show it well, but this one is more oval than rectangular.

Oscar_Stanage
04-18-2021, 12:47 PM
*Keep your sets condition consistent. If you want a VG set, make them ALL VG...PSA 9...then PSA 9, EX raw (my preference), hold EVERY card to the same standard. Nothing worse than thumbing through a set and the condition is all over the place! For my initial sets it was the opposite mentioned above, my stars looked better than my commons...set looked like crap. The card next to your Mantle in the binder better look sweet! :)

It is not realistic these days for a lot of people to collect the Monster in VG-EX/EX. If my key cards are 1-2s, does that mean I should not add a John McGraw that is EX-MT?

Exhibitman
04-18-2021, 04:21 PM
I can resonate with just about everything mentioned here. As a set collector one thing that was discussed here years ago really changed my approach and strategy -

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall.”

--Ralph Waldo Emerson, famous T212 collector, I think.

metroac
05-06-2021, 05:40 PM
I think the best advice I ever got was from Alan Rosen in the early '80's. He said, "Remember - nothing is scarce. You'll always see it again." He was wrong, of course, but it applied to what I was collecting at the time (mostly Topps and Bowman, but also Red Hearts, Red Man, and the like). And I've retained it as "Be patient, but if you love the card, don't worry about paying a few extra bucks."

brianp-beme
05-06-2021, 06:03 PM
I missed all the follow up beat-up card posts after I dropped this pearl of wisdom:

"Make sure to frequently post really beat up cards, because then it will make everyone else feel better about the cards they own."

So here you go...a favorite T216 of Evers of mine. Bet you all are just glowing about how nice your collections are.

Brian

metroac
05-07-2021, 04:48 AM
A treasured beater.