PDA

View Full Version : Albumen cards, humidity and temperature

BobbyStrawberry
03-28-2021, 12:04 PM
Hello Net54 members,

I have been collecting more N172 cards recently, and I am seeking advice on the best practices for protecting these cards while storing them.

I have been keeping them out of the sunlight, in sealed containers with a silica gel pack. However, I live near the Pacific Ocean and my home tends to have some variation in humidity and temperature, and I wonder if this might be bad for these cards in the long term.

Do you think I should be concerned about this? How do you store your albumen print cards in order to best preserve them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

vthobby
03-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Matthew,

Here is an informative link on archival storage for cabinet photos from N172 era. I have used the methods in the past for old photos and have never had a problem.

Good luck, Mike

https://www.archivalmethods.com/blog/cabinet-cards-carte-de-visite/

drcy
03-28-2021, 02:46 PM
Where in California?

I think heat and humidity are more a concern if you were in Florida or Louisiana rather than California.

oldjudge
03-28-2021, 03:27 PM
I would think that you are fine. I would worry more about heat than California humidity. If they are in an air conditioned house it sounds,like all is good.

BobbyStrawberry
03-28-2021, 07:50 PM
Thank you for the responses.

I am in the Bay Area, and so it's not so much heat that's the issue, but the frequently shifting climate within a range from "chilly" to "kinda hot". I have air conditioning, but most of the year don't need it. I sometimes turn it on for a day or two, and then off for awhile, etc.

I've thought about a climate-controlled safe, but they seem rather expensive. Perhaps this kind of weather is not extreme enough to be of concern?

I really appreciate the advice!