PDA

View Full Version : Jersey experts? Billy Beane?

JoeDfan
03-05-2021, 04:51 PM
I picked up this old (seller said late 80's) BP(?) jersey recently. I have bought some jerseys from the same seller on ebay, so I don't think I am worried about authenticity.

But in the tag, it clearly says "Beane". The only Beane I could find on the roster for Oakland for that time period was of course, Billy Beane (the moneyball guy I think). But baseball reference says he wore #11 for Oakland. However, I did notice that he wore #20 for two years in Minnesota.

I did find a reference that Billy attending spring training for Oakland in 1990, but was sent to the minors before the season started, which is what kicked off his front office career (if I got any of that wrong, feel free to correct me).

Does anyone know if he wore #20 in 1990 spring training?
I actually emailed the A's, but got no response.

Any information on this jersey would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Sean

icollectDCsports
03-05-2021, 06:33 PM
If you keep an eye out on eBay, someone may list a 1990 A's spring training program and post photos of the scorecard page with uniform numbers listed. I've found uniform numbers for other players during spring by doing that.

JoeDfan
03-06-2021, 09:32 AM
Oh, that is a great idea!
Thank you!

bjerome
03-06-2021, 10:16 AM
In the Google photos I have seen for Beane with Oakland they pretty much all show him wearing jersey number 27.

JoeDfan
03-06-2021, 11:20 AM
Ah, right. I did see some images like that, which led me to think that maybe this was his 1990 spring training jersey or something like that.

I believe the player who wore number 20 in 1989 did not come back for 1990. If Beane like that number, I was thinking maybe he grabbed it for spring training.

But now that you mention it, I am going to look really close, maybe the number has been changed out?