PDA

View Full Version : NY Yankee Pennant help please....

vthobby
03-02-2021, 07:04 PM
Any thoughts on what year this might be and also, does anyone know if the red bamboo cane is something that the pennant was sold with originally. It certainly looks vintage and the pennant owner told me that the pennant has been on the bamboo pole for as long as he can remember. Thanks for your thoughts!

Peace, Mike

Domer05
03-02-2021, 08:27 PM
Sweet pennant! I have little doubt that cane was indeed purchased with the pennant--most likely, from some kid vendor outside Yankee Stadium. Those canes (sometimes dowels) were commonly sold with pennants, along with pinbacks, celluloid figures, etc.

In terms of its vintage, I would say ca. 1950. Unfortunately, the Yanks won plenty of AL pennants in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, pretty much every decade--right? So, many pennant makers stopped putting the year on their pennants so they could sell any unsold stock in future years. Here, however, I believe this pennant was made by Trench Mfg. Co. of Buffalo, NY; and, if so, it resembles those of their issue from that time frame: late 1940s, early 1950s.

Having said that, I'll let the Yankee collectors chime in as they may have a better sense of what specific championship this might have commemorated.

perezfan
03-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Exactly how I would've responded. Cane is original to the pennant and pennant is circa late '40s - early '50s.

Duluth Eskimo
03-02-2021, 09:24 PM
I agree with what Kyle said. Early 50’s. There were many different versions of this same pennant. I also agree the cane came with it. I have a few myself in my collection. I think they’re a neat add on for pennants. Most were just straight wooden dowels and not a rounded cane. Very nice pennant.

Duluth Eskimo
03-02-2021, 09:41 PM
Here are a couple of different variations from that same time frame. The one photo that shows the small photo on the pennant, I have dated 1951. The photo must have been dated or something.

The other group are some of my different variations including some very tough piping.

This style of Yankee Stadium is early 50's to me.

thetahat
03-04-2021, 05:48 AM
Sweet pennant! I have little doubt that cane was indeed purchased with the pennant--most likely, from some kid vendor outside Yankee Stadium. Those canes (sometimes dowels) were commonly sold with pennants, along with pinbacks, celluloid figures, etc.

In terms of its vintage, I would say ca. 1950. Unfortunately, the Yanks won plenty of AL pennants in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, pretty much every decade--right? So, many pennant makers stopped putting the year on their pennants so they could sell any unsold stock in future years. Here, however, I believe this pennant was made by Trench Mfg. Co. of Buffalo, NY; and, if so, it resembles those of their issue from that time frame: late 1940s, early 1950s.

Having said that, I'll let the Yankee collectors chime in as they may have a better sense of what specific championship this might have commemorated.

I’m on the fence about this being Trench. Maybe 60% certain. The style and artwork seems very, very different from what we know to be Trench from this time. Kyle, you might have more evidence, I don’t know, I think the Yankees pennant is from the same company as these pictured here. (I brought this up a couple weeks ago on the pennant thread.)

perezfan
03-04-2021, 04:56 PM
I'm only at 35/65 on that one being trench. No concrete evidence... it just does not have that classic Trench look.

Domer05
03-06-2021, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure this pennant came from Trench; and I'm 100% certain the other two you flagged, Greg, are also by Trench. Specifically, that artwork depicting Ebbets Field's facade was used by Trench throughout the 1940s and 50s; and the one featuring the faux fish-tail + fringed spine were a unique feature Trench briefly explored in 1955.

Back to the Yankees pennant. Just look at the artwork. Everything about it, down to the coloring, resembles Trench's stadium pennants from the 1950s. ADFLAG would never have used that many colors at that time; nor would WGN. Definitely not a Keezer.

Also, it appears all of these pennants under discussion measure about 26" in length and have tassels ... and that was pretty much Trench's signature in the late 1940s, early 1950s, when we all agree these pennants were made.

vthobby
03-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted here! I appreciate the help!

Peace,
Mike