PDA

View Full Version : Asbury Park Sea Urchins

Snapolit1
02-23-2021, 04:50 PM
Ok, this might be a reach . . . has anyone ever seen any memorabilia/photos/anything re: the Asbury Park Sea Urchins? Played 1/2 a season in 1914 and the league disbanded. Found a few references on SABR and a cool tee shirt that was sold by Ebbets Field Flannels. Was a low level minor league team and a pretty lousy one at that. Interesting fact is that the team was owned by Andy Coakley, who was probably sorry he got involved.

And, hell, is that the coolest team name of all time?

parker1b2
02-23-2021, 07:03 PM
Never even heard of them, now I have a new thing to look for in antique stores. I wonder if you reached out to the AP historical society if they would have and info.

Snapolit1
02-23-2021, 08:15 PM
I perused their website and didn’t see anything.
What you typically see in any discussion of Asbury Park baseball was the year the Yankees held their spring training there.

jerseygary
02-24-2021, 01:11 PM
I designed the Sea Urchin t-shirt (I do many of Ebbets Field Flannels shirts) and looked all over for ANYTHING on the team, but came up empty. My design is original to me, keeping it semi-true to the 1914 period style of design. I do the same for teams like the Redondo Beach Wharf Rats and the whole line of AAGPBL and Negro National League team shirts I did for TeamBrown (https://www.teambrownapparel.com/search-results-page/cieradkowski). I'd love to see anything that turns up for the real Sea Urchins...

Snapolit1
02-24-2021, 05:19 PM
Great job Gary. I'd love to buy one of those but they seem to be sold out.

Even doing a search of Newspapers.com I found like 3 news articles.