PDA

View Full Version : New eBay Standard Envelope

ValKehl
02-01-2021, 10:41 AM
Has anyone successfully used this new eBay Standard Envelope method to print a shipping label with tracking? I'm looking to ship a few inexpensive cards I sold last night on eBay. When I just now tried to purchase and print my first shipping label via this new method, I received these two messages:
"Please be aware that UPS is experiencing issues at the moment. We apologise for any inconvenience and if affected, ask that you try again later."
"Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label."
Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

savedfrommyspokes
02-01-2021, 01:04 PM
I was able to print one of these new labels a few days back and it printed out fine. If I am reading the requirements for using this new form of postage, USPS requires senders to use only a regular (PWE) envelope. For those that are passionately against the use of PWE, this new option does not seem to alleviate the PWE concern. I was hoping that flat cardboard mailers could be used....according to the new requirements they are not allowed.

bnorth
02-01-2021, 01:18 PM
I have sent and received many cards in PWEs. The best way I have found is to put the card in a penny sleeve and tape it to the center of a sheet of paper. Fold it in thirds, put it in the envelope and mail it.

I have found the more you do to try to protect a card in a PWE the bigger the chance you will cause problems.

Johnny630
02-01-2021, 01:21 PM
I find the best way for me to send PWE is to get a greeting card, the ones you get from donations made to charities like DAV ect, place the card in between a card saver then painters tape to the inside of the greeting card. The extra thickness of the greeting card stock helps along with the card saver.

timber09
02-01-2021, 01:40 PM
They linked these "mailjacket" envelopes in one of their notifications regarding this change.

They seem to fit the requirements I read so hopefully they work as I bought 200 of them and am sending out my first one today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-8-Paperboard-Mailjacket-Envelope-No-padding/254808890842?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=554631194199&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

I used that for a lot of two cards that was purchased for $12 total. For ones under $5 I went with a standard business envelope - card in softsleeve, card saver and team bag taped to printed off invoice.
Similar process that I have used probably thousands on times on Sportlots with very few issues.

Hopefully this all goes over well however I have seen some posts on Facebook thrifting groups and such where people are bragging about being pretty careless in their shipping including being able to put 8-10 cards in a card saver and mail that way.

ASF123
02-01-2021, 02:23 PM
The best way I have found is to put the card in a penny sleeve and tape it to the center of a sheet of paper. Fold it in thirds, put it in the envelope and mail it.Your customers are really ok with getting cards that have been folded in thirds?

Snapolit1
02-01-2021, 03:07 PM
Your customers are really ok with getting cards that have been folded in thirds?

Guessing the folded in thirds part refers to the piece of paper and not the card.

tonyo
02-01-2021, 03:15 PM
I've printed one and just dropped a card in the mail box with the new label.

We'll see how well tracking works. It didn't have the classic big bar codes like I'm used to seeing.

It doesn't have to be a PWE, but the requirements rule out most everything else.

<3 oz, < 1/4" thick, uniform thickness, not completely rigid, a couple more

I wouldn't be surprised if those paperboard mail jackets approach 3 oz pretty quickly

Buythatcard
02-01-2021, 03:37 PM
I personally won't use that option. I prefer to stick with placing card in top loader and using. bubble envelopes.

PWE offer very little protection. I think every card deserves to have some sort of protection.

Johnny630
02-01-2021, 03:41 PM
No protection for the seller on ebay using this platform. This sounds very problematic to the seller and buyer. Easily damaged at no fault of seller, I can see ebay siding with every buyer hands down, every time, they know the S show USPS is nowadays. It's ok for beat to hell freebees or trades to be sent this way, but ebay, no way.

Avoid

icurnmedic
02-01-2021, 03:58 PM
Probably off topic but, Issue I have had in the past , when I ship PWE or w/o tracking 80% + of the time buyer claims no receipt. And we are talking $10 cards here. Integrity has no minimums it seems...

tonyo
02-01-2021, 04:35 PM
last two or three years I've mailed 100's of single cards in top loader & PWE no tracking. and dozens of lots of 9 in 1/3 of a nine pocket sheet.

$2 to $10 w/ free shipping - mostly $2,$3,$4 cards

Probably very few of those 100's would've sold if I had to add $2, $3 or $4 for shipping

I've refunded less than 10 due to seller claiming no receipt.

Not once has anyone complained of damaged cards.

If the tracking works on these labels, I'll use them.....

and, I'm pretty sure I saw that <1 oz is only 51cents

timber09
02-01-2021, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if those paperboard mail jackets approach 3 oz pretty quickly

Yes - that is certainly correct.
The envelope itself is 1.3oz which makes it pretty sturdy but not a lot of wiggle room to get many cards in there with protection.

Luke
02-01-2021, 05:22 PM
I've shipped 3 of these so far. All at 1oz and pretty well protected imo. I'll update if anything goes wrong with the orders, but so far I am loving the new option.

buymycards
02-01-2021, 05:26 PM
Probably off topic but, Issue I have had in the past , when I ship PWE or w/o tracking 80% + of the time buyer claims no receipt. And we are talking $10 cards here. Integrity has no minimums it seems...

Really? In the past couple of years I have mailed several thousand of these, with only a couple of dozen claims of non-receipt.

Luke
02-01-2021, 05:27 PM
Oh and Val, I got that same message this morning. The solution for me was to keep scrolling down the page. There is another button you can click to buy the postage. That second button worked.

ASF123
02-01-2021, 06:41 PM
Guessing the folded in thirds part refers to the piece of paper and not the card.That was the joke, yes. ;)

Mike D.
02-01-2021, 07:13 PM
eBay tells me I have sold 1,072 items in the last 12 months. Of those, I'd guess 1,000 were shipped in a top loader (taped shut) and taped to the packing slip folded in 3rds (as bnorth mentioned above).

I've gotten ZERO complaints about damage, and maybe five issues where the buyer claimed no delivery. One of those, the card came back about a week later and the buyer happily bought it again.

If this gives a little extra piece of mind with the tracking, I think it's worth a try.

ValKehl
02-01-2021, 07:19 PM
Oh and Val, I got that same message this morning. The solution for me was to keep scrolling down the page. There is another button you can click to buy the postage. That second button worked.

Thanks to Luke and everyone else who replied with their suggestions. Shortly after I couldn't generate an "eBay Standard Envelope" shipping label, I tried to generate a shipping label for a regular bubble-mailer 1st Class package, and I received pretty much the same message from eBay. So, I concluded that eBay's shipping label routine was currently not working. So, I went outside and cleaned the snow off of my car. When I returned to my PC, the eBay shipping labels routine worked just fine, and I printed a half dozen shipping labels for "eBay Standard Envelope" shipments.

This is not the end of the story. Because I had already missed the USPS carrier who picks up the outgoing mail at my condo building, I took my half dozen PWEs with their eBay labels to my local, small, branch post office. Rather than drop them into the outgoing mail chute, I took them to the service counter and asked the USPS clerk if she had seen any of these yet. She hadn't, so I explained what they were to her. I asked her to kindly scan them and give me a receipt; she tried to do this, but her scanner didn't seem to recognize anything. I explained that eBay's system generated a USPS tracking number (which doesn't appear on the shipping label), but I could tell she thought I didn't know what I was talking about. By now, these half dozen PWEs would have been delivered from my branch post office to the nearest regional distribution center, however, the USPS tracking shows only that I have produced these half-dozen labels. It will be interesting to see if these PWEs get tracked to their destinations (I'm not holding my breath!).

bobbyw8469
02-01-2021, 07:43 PM
I personally won't use that option. I prefer to stick with placing card in top loader and using. bubble envelopes.

PWE offer very little protection. I think every card deserves to have some sort of protection.

I'm with you. People might not like me charging $3.50, but I get them their cards in one piece. I don't see that happening with PWE.

Yastrzemski Sports
02-01-2021, 08:01 PM
I sent several today and did a lot of research before I did. You have to follow all of the regulations to the letter. If you look at eBay shipping supplies they have paperboard mailing jackets as an example of what you can use. No bubble mailers, no plastic at all. Has to be under .25” thick and uniform thickness - no bulges. Has to fit within size parameters. I bought some 6x8 mailers on eBay last week and got them for about 15 cents each - used a vendor close to me and had them in 2 days. It has to be listed in the card category and has to be under $20. You can send up to 15 raw cards or 3 cards in toploads.

So far I think it’s great. There are going to be growing pains following all of the rules to get it right. Went through my listings and moved as many cards as I could to this service. Long overdue.

ValKehl
02-01-2021, 09:48 PM
This is not the end of the story. Because I had already missed the USPS carrier who picks up the outgoing mail at my condo building, I took my half dozen PWEs with their eBay labels to my local, small, branch post office. Rather than drop them into the outgoing mail chute, I took them to the service counter and asked the USPS clerk if she had seen any of these yet. She hadn't, so I explained what they were to her. I asked her to kindly scan them and give me a receipt; she tried to do this, but her scanner didn't seem to recognize anything. I explained that eBay's system generated a USPS tracking number (which doesn't appear on the shipping label), but I could tell she thought I didn't know what I was talking about. By now, these half dozen PWEs would have been delivered from my branch post office to the nearest regional distribution center, however, the USPS tracking shows only that I have produced these half-dozen labels. It will be interesting to see if these PWEs get tracked to their destinations (I'm not holding my breath!).

All is well - each of my half dozen PWEs have now been scanned at the USPS regional distribution center! I'm lovin' eBay's new PWE system!

insidethewrapper
02-02-2021, 07:34 AM
Is there an ebay label for large envelopes or only a PWE or Package option ?

BillyCoxDodgers3B
02-02-2021, 08:46 AM
I have only made one purchase using this new system. The ETA for the envelope is two weeks longer than First Class with tracking. Has anyone else had this experience? I understand that all of these mailings are to be shipped to a processing center, but two weeks longer seems excessive. Perhaps they're just trying to cover the bases for the sometimes terrible delivery times as of late.

bnorth
02-02-2021, 08:51 AM
I have only made one purchase using this new system. The ETA for the envelope is two weeks longer than First Class with tracking. Has anyone else had this experience? I understand that all of these mailings are to be shipped to a processing center, but two weeks longer seems excessive. Perhaps they're just trying to cover the bases for the sometimes terrible delivery times as of late.

They are just covering their bases. Weirdly my real life experience the last few months is a PWE arrives faster than Priority mail.

tonyo
02-02-2021, 11:42 AM

I just listed a bunch of cards. Those that I picked " ebay std envelope" as the shipping method say expected delivery is Feb 12 to Feb 17, and those that I picked "first class mail" say expected delivery is Feb 17 to Feb 18.

prestigecollectibles
02-02-2021, 02:02 PM
I wonder how combined shipping works for this since there is a 3oz and $20 limit.

Yastrzemski Sports
02-02-2021, 04:52 PM
You can combine up to 3 cards in toploads or 15 raw cards up to $20 in value as long as it weighs under 3 oz. Otherwise you can't use this service.

In response to ship time, the cards I sent yesterday have an estimated delivery date of 2/6-2/8.

Orioles1954
02-02-2021, 07:43 PM
Stupid question time. Is this only for fixed items? Otherwise, with auctions you can ship for this special rate under $20 but if it goes above $20 it’s standard shipping?

Yastrzemski Sports
02-02-2021, 07:47 PM
Stupid question time. Is this only for fixed items? Otherwise, with auctions you can ship for this special rate under $20 but if it goes above $20 it’s standard shipping?

It is for both auction and fixed price. And yes, if the item goes above $20 you have to go first class.

Orioles1954
02-02-2021, 07:50 PM
It is for both auction and fixed price. And yes, if the item goes above $20 you have to go first class.

What size printer labels is everyone using?

Yastrzemski Sports
02-02-2021, 08:18 PM
What size printer labels is everyone using?

I use 4x6 labels.

Orioles1954
02-02-2021, 08:31 PM
Thanks so much!

ASF123
02-02-2021, 09:55 PM
I'm kind of passively thinking about trying to sell some extras I've accumulated along the way, cards from my childhood collection that I've upgraded, etc. These would be low-$ cards just for a little more "pocket money" to spend on other cards.

However, it seems like there are a ton of eBay rules and such to navigate. Does anyone know of a good website, book, or other resource that would set out what you need to start selling (packaging supplies, etc.), help with figuring out the shipping rules, common beginner mistakes, etc.? Also helpful would be info on what types of items do better in auctions vs. fixed, best day/time to have auctions end, that kind of thing.

insidethewrapper
02-07-2021, 11:49 AM
With the new Letter option on ebay has anyone else ,besides me, needed to void a label. I have been unable to void a label with this new system. I hit 1 oz by mistake and printed , so I printed another for 2 oz, but can't void the first label. That option is only available on my other shipments.

buymycards
02-07-2021, 01:48 PM
I'm with you. People might not like me charging $3.50, but I get them their cards in one piece. I don't see that happening with PWE.

Yes, and people don't realize that you are losing money on all of your $3.50 shipments. eBay takes 43 cents for fees on the shipping, and a 4 ounce package runs from $3.01 to $3.49, depending on the zone, so if you factor in the padded envelope and the supplies, ink and paper, you are losing between 90 cents to $1.40 or so on each shipment. If you are shipping a couple of cards and you need 6 ounces for postage, you are losing an additional 47 cents per package.

Yastrzemski Sports
02-07-2021, 02:04 PM
With the new Letter option on ebay has anyone else ,besides me, needed to void a label. I have been unable to void a label with this new system. I hit 1 oz by mistake and printed , so I printed another for 2 oz, but can't void the first label. That option is only available on my other shipments.

I had the same issue. Had a buyer cancel an order and I couldn’t void the postage. I guess it’s a donation to the usps.

insidethewrapper
02-07-2021, 02:09 PM
I called ebay customer service today and they voided it for me.

buymycards
02-07-2021, 02:36 PM
Does this work?

Go to My eBay and click Shipping Labels under ‘Sell’.
In the Actions column click ‘Void label’.
Follow the instructions on the ‘Void your shipping label’ page.

prestigecollectibles
02-07-2021, 02:48 PM
I contacted eBay about an issue and they told me there is an Unsolicited Idea Submission link. It seems they actually respond in most cases.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/unsolicited-idea-submissions-policy?id=4256#section2

Exhibitman
02-07-2021, 06:53 PM
My standard shipping is $5, which means lots of bundling on $10 cards or no sales. I just redid all my raw cheap card listings with this alternative, see how it goes.

insidethewrapper
02-07-2021, 08:42 PM
I don't have the "VOID" option available on the letter shipments. Do you ?

LACardsGuy
02-08-2021, 05:59 PM
I just bought a batch of cardboard CD mailers that are within the size limitation. I have to say that this is one of the ONLY times that Feebay has ever done anything right for the seller. Having to charge 3.55 to break even on shipping for a 1.75 auction card made no sense and was producing diminishing returns. This costs me total of 61 cents, including feebay commission on shipping ($1) and the envelope. Perfect.

ngrow9
02-09-2021, 05:54 AM
Potentially stupid question, but do you need actual labels to print the postage for this new option, or can you print to paper and then tape it on?

bnorth
02-09-2021, 07:09 AM
Potentially stupid question, but do you need actual labels to print the postage for this new option, or can you print to paper and then tape it on?

^This^ or can you just print it directly on the PWE? I agree with others that this will be great for selling lower end cards.

Eggoman
02-09-2021, 08:01 AM
I have been using plain old paper - been working FINE for me!

insidethewrapper
02-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Just had a problem with the new letter option on ebay. I got an order for 18 cards for under $20 and the buyer selected the letter option but with 18 cards it doesn't meet the thickness standards, so I look at other options, and there is no package option available. Anyone else have a similiar problem. I think I will just ship it in 2 envelopes and pay double letter price which is cheaper anyways from the package price. But no other package option is a problem.

buymycards
02-09-2021, 02:40 PM
I don't have the "VOID" option available on the letter shipments. Do you ?

I just sent a letter using this method. There doesn't seem to be a void option.

AndrewJerome
02-12-2021, 02:59 PM
Question for those who have used these new PWEs (and have had them actually work): how are they actually tracked? I just mailed three of these today for the first time. My labels have a tracking number printed on the label, but there is no scannable bar code on the label. I asked the USPS workers about this new service, and they had no idea what I was talking about. The workers had no idea how my PWEs would be scanned on delivery without any bar code. Did I screw something up?

buymycards
02-12-2021, 03:07 PM
The barcodes on these envelopes are not package tracking barcodes. They are Intelligent Mail barcodes, which can only be read by the processing machines. The clerks cannot scan them and the carriers cannot scan them. You will never have an actual "delivery" scan or an acceptance scan.

If you subscribe to the USPS Informed Delivery, you are told what mail you can expect today. This comes from the IMB barcode that is scanned at the processing plant. The IMB's and the machines are very accurate and 99% of the time you will receive the mail that is pictured on your Informed Delivery email.

If you look at your incoming mail you will see that all of the letters have these IMB codes sprayed on them. A black barcode on the front and a pink barcode on the back.

AndrewJerome
02-12-2021, 03:12 PM
Rick, thanks for all the great info. That makes sense. Thanks for such a quick response,

Andrew

buymycards
02-12-2021, 03:13 PM
And - no - it seems that none of the Postal employees were informed about this new product.

ValKehl
02-12-2021, 03:53 PM
Rick, thanks for your input and explanations. Below is the tracking for an eBay PWE that I shipped on Monday. When you say, "You will never have an actual 'delivery' scan or an acceptance scan," are you saying that the "Delivered" shown on the tracking (in bold print) for this item does NOT represent an actual USPS scan at the actual time of delivery?

Tracking #:ESUS34157478

Carrier:eBay Send

Delivered

Feb-12-21, 11:20 AM 35771

Out for Delivery

Feb-12-21, 00:49 AM, HUNTSVILLE, AL 35813

Out for Delivery

Feb-11-21, 21:36 PM, HUNTSVILLE, AL 35813

Origin Processing

Feb-10-21, 20:11 PM, BIRMINGHAM, AL 35203

Label created

Feb-08-21, 20:10 PM, Manassas, VA 20110-2834

prestigecollectibles
02-12-2021, 03:54 PM
I have shipped a few times using this service and had no issues.
You can actually track it here
https://www.trackmyshipment.co/shipment-tracking

As far as postal employees not nothing anything, that is usually the case. Most of them still don't know you can ship up to 16oz by First Class through eBay shipping.

You can see the progress in your My eBay Manage paid and shipped orders section as shown below.

buymycards
02-12-2021, 05:08 PM
Most of these scans are not actual scans of the item.

The in transit scan is generated by one label at the outgoing PO. The clerk scans the label when the truck leaves, and all of the items that were accepted that day show up as in transit.

The out for delivery scan is not an actual scan of the item. When the carrier is ready to go on the route, he/she scans a barcode that says "out for delivery". All packages that are assigned to the carrier will show updated "out for delivery" scans, but the packages were not actually individually scanned.

The 2 procedures above also apply to packages, not just the envelopes.

When the carrier returns from the route, he/she scans a barcode label that says "Return from Route". This updates all of the letters to show as "delivered". This does not apply to packages because they are individually scanned as delivered. So, your envelope was not actually individually scanned as delivered.

ValKehl
02-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Rick, thanks for this additional clarification. I hope eBay accepts this "delivered" of a PWE and protects a seller against a purchaser who claims non delivery. To me, this eBay labeling & tracking process makes selling inexpensive cards much more attractive to me.

Exhibitman
02-13-2021, 07:54 AM
Honestly, for sub-$20 cards, I am not going to sweat whether the 'delivered' means scanned or not. As long as eBay is happy with the delivery and protects me from claims of non-delivery when it shows as delivered, not my problem.

The 1st batch of these I used actually showed up as 'tracked' before the regular packages I put in the same mailbox at the same time that same day. Weird.

autograf
02-13-2021, 09:10 AM
The in transit scan is generated by one label at the outgoing PO. The clerk scans the label when the truck leaves, and all of the items that were accepted that day show up as in transit.

The out for delivery scan is not an actual scan of the item. When the carrier is ready to go on the route, he/she scans a barcode that says "out for delivery". All packages that are assigned to the carrier will show updated "out for delivery" scans, but the packages were not actually individually scanned.

At UPS, we call these PHYSICAL scans and LOGICAL scans. Packages are scanned into a container via PHYSICAL scan and then that container is assigned to a plane and maybe bypassed at another airport to another plane. That would get a LOGICAL scan then and anything in that container would get the same scan. Sounds like you all have something similar there that all the letters are assigned to a delivery truck/route and they just get those LOGICAL scans when they go out and when they come back.

I'm with Adam on not worrying about it as long as eBay accepts those scans as gospel and doesn't start charging me back for shipments people say they didn't get.

The-Cardfather
03-14-2021, 06:04 PM
I've been using eBay's new "Standard Envelope" postage option for about two months now (roughly 12-15 sent) with no problems......... UNTIL NOW.

I just got a message from a buyer who complained that the envelope arrived with $3.29 postage due (which he paid). In the spirit of maintaining good customer relations, and knowing that it would be pointless to fight with the USPS over $3.29; I issued the buyer a refund for $3.29. So now I actually lost money on this transaction.

I own a postage scale and I am 100% certain that the envelope was within the parameters set by eBay (under 3 ounces, less than .25 inches thick, etc.).

So my question is........

Has anyone else experienced any similar problems?

Orioles1954
03-14-2021, 06:25 PM
I really don’t see the value added with this option. In my 24+ years on eBay I’ve had exactly one problem with charging a buck and shipping in a PWE.

wheatfan
03-14-2021, 06:54 PM
As a buyer of usually sub-$5 cards, I have seen a large uptick in items I'll bid-on/buy with the cheaper shipping option now more commonly available. I don't particularly care if its PWE or ESU, but it certainly has increased the number of cards I've considered buying. I've only has one PWE lost in the mail in the years I've been buying, but the added tracking is at least a small protection for the sellers it seems.

buymycards
03-14-2021, 07:41 PM
I've been using eBay's new "Standard Envelope" postage option for about two months now (roughly 12-15 sent) with no problems......... UNTIL NOW.

I just got a message from a buyer who complained that the envelope arrived with $3.29 postage due (which he paid). In the spirit of maintaining good customer relations, and knowing that it would be pointless to fight with the USPS over $3.29; I issued the buyer a refund for $3.29. So now I actually lost money on this transaction.

I own a postage scale and I am 100% certain that the envelope was within the parameters set by eBay (under 3 ounces, less than .25 inches thick, etc.).

First of all, it looks like it may be over 6 1/8" high. If so, it is too high to be a letter. But the real problem is that you have the "Do No Bend" label on it. That makes it a parcel or a non-machinable letter, depending on the weight and the size.

The-Cardfather
03-15-2021, 08:18 AM
First of all, it looks like it may be over 6 1/8" high. If so, it is too high to be a letter. But the real problem is that you have the "Do No Bend" label on it. That makes it a parcel or a non-machinable letter, depending on the weight and the size.

Rick,

Ebay's standard letter requirements are:
No smaller than 3.5” x 5”
No larger than 6.125” x 11.5”
No thicker than .25”
Weighs up to 3 oz.

My envelope was:
5.8" x 8.2", with a thickness of .20"

So obviously, the dimensions of the envelope should not have been a problem.

But you've brought up an interesting issue regarding the "Do Not Bend" sticker.

Can I get some other opinions on this?

tonyo
03-15-2021, 09:17 AM
that "do not bend" probably did throw it into another category

One of eBay's descriptions includes "not too rigid"

LACardsGuy
03-15-2021, 10:41 AM

Yes, this has happened to me twice out of about 50 shipments.

LACardsGuy
03-15-2021, 10:42 AM
I really don’t see the value added with this option. In my 24+ years on eBay I’ve had exactly one problem with charging a buck and shipping in a PWE.

Value it adds:
1. tracking
2. you can print a label and not have to get stamps.

and that's about it

savedfrommyspokes
03-15-2021, 01:12 PM
Value it adds:
1. tracking
2. you can print a label and not have to get stamps.

and that's about it

When I can purchase forever stamps in bulk at around 35 cent each (off ebay with ebay buck bonuses), the only value here might be the tracking. I knock on wood when I say this, but I have had a miniscule percent of problems using PWE, thus paying 16 cents more for "tracking" has minimal value to me.

Eggoman
03-15-2021, 02:27 PM
I add "Do Not Bend" to ALL of mine shipped using the ESU and have had no issues with postage due...so far.

"Do Not Bend" makes the item Non-Machinable and a surcharge applies, but NOT $3.29.

I have had disagreements with the Postal Clerks about this being a Letter or a Parcel, tho... Additional charges do apply IF it is deemed to be a parcel.

Joe Hunter
03-15-2021, 02:42 PM
Charles: I would bet it is the "Do not Bend" label that triggered the additional postage. The package is supposed to be somewhat flexible.

Mike D.
03-15-2021, 04:54 PM
It’s not a bubble or padded mailer, is it? Doesn’t look like it in the pic but that would disqualify it.

tonyo
03-15-2021, 06:20 PM
"Do Not Bend" makes the item Non-Machinable and a surcharge applies, but NOT $3.29.

Good point.

my next choice would be "postal employee with a stamp that just doesn't care"

btw,

I've use the standard envelope a few times with no hiccups. Although 2 out of about 15 that I've sent never had any tracking registered whatsoever

ngrow9
03-16-2021, 05:41 AM
I'm thinking that the problem could be the clear tape over the mailing label. I thought the rules said no plastic anywhere on the envelope. I've been printing the label directly onto a PWE, and using cut up cereal boxes as inserts in the envelope to help protect the cards, and haven't had any issues thus far.

The-Cardfather
03-17-2021, 09:08 AM
It’s not a bubble or padded mailer, is it? Doesn’t look like it in the pic but that would disqualify it.

No. Not a bubble envelope or padded mailer, just a small manila envelope.

Maybe this was a one-time screw-up by the USPS. Time will tell.

LuckyLarry
03-17-2021, 01:21 PM
I just print the label on a regular 8.5 X 11 piece of computer paper then cut to fit a regular 6 3/4 envelope then lightly coat label with Elmers glue then attach with vintage label application tool.
Larry

https://i.imgur.com/ZpAHqFql.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2UnvuPEl.jpg?1

ajjohnsonsoxfan
03-17-2021, 02:40 PM
I've been using clear plastic tape over the mailing labels and have had dozens be delivered with no issues FYI.

Frank A
03-17-2021, 02:50 PM

It just amazes me how many times I have shipped items in a PWE and the buyer says he never got it. I had to stop doing free shipping because of it. You have no way to prove it was sent and received.

tonyo
03-17-2021, 03:20 PM
I just print the label on a regular 8.5 X 11 piece of computer paper then cut to fit a regular 6 3/4 envelope then lightly coat label with Elmers glue then attach with vintage label application tool.
Larry

I just print the label on 8.5x11 paper, cut on of those light cardboard junkmail solicitations into the size of the label, tape the card in a top loader to it , fold the paper around it into the shape of an envelope, and tape it up.

tonyo
03-17-2021, 03:22 PM
It just amazes me how many times I have shipped items in a PWE and the buyer says he never got it. I had to stop doing free shipping because of it. You have no way to prove it was sent and received.

yep, I've mailed a couple hundred like that, and had maybe 8 or 10 claim they didn't receive. You're right, nothing you can do at that point :(

ajjohnsonsoxfan
03-17-2021, 04:31 PM
I just print the label on 8.5x11 paper, cut on of those light cardboard junkmail solicitations into the size of the label, tape the card in a top loader to it , fold the paper around it into the shape of an envelope, and tape it up.

damn great idea! gotta try that. save on the pwe's

BillyCoxDodgers3B
03-17-2021, 10:54 PM
Wow, that's a lot of extra work to save literally two cents.

tonyo
03-18-2021, 04:27 AM
Wow, that's a lot of extra work to save literally two cents.

It's a little annoying, but it feels like the least annoying path with the least number of steps to me .

MooseDog
03-18-2021, 08:40 AM
Pretty sure Rick nailed it. In the past, before using eBay postage I've had stuff returned or arrived to the buyer postage due when I put Do Not Bend or Non-Machinable stickers on them. They get dinged for the "package" rate as opposed to the "letter rate".

The size on that one isn't the issue, I send patches in 6x9 envelopes at the letter rate all the time with no problems. They are thin with one piece of cardboard in the package but also bendable.

I think it also matters where you drop the mail off too. I've had zero issues with anything like this since COVID and my carrier is picking up my outgoing mail. We have two different post offices in my are and one Postmaster seems to be a "by-the-book" kind of guy and the other doesn't care because every item I've had sent back was dropped off at that PO.

I find the size/shape rates absurd. For example for a similar size/weight package, one conforming to the 1/4 inch thickness, one not, probably traveling on the same vehicle and route if sent at the same time:

One card in a card save, plain white envelope, letter rate .55
One card in a card saver, eBay shipping .51
One card in a card saver, to Canada $1.20

One card in a card saver in a bubble mailer, package rate = $3.09 and up
One card in a card saver to Canada, package rate $14.09 and up

ValKehl
03-18-2021, 11:48 AM
I print the shipping labels for my eBay PWEs on the same pre-gummed label forms (2 on an 8.5" x 11" sheet) that my wife and I use to ship First Class and Priority Mail packages for our other eBay sales. The only thing I do after I print a label is to quickly cut it to fit the size of the PWE I am using. I'm very happy with the eBay PWE feature, which I have used for about 40 shipments already.

sharked882013
03-18-2021, 12:37 PM
When looking for an item # on my February eBay invoice, I noticed that eBay overcharged me on seven different items when using their Standard Envelope feature. As you know, in late January they were having issues whereby if you hit print label, it sometimes generated a message "Unable to Generate a Label" so you would have to hit print label again. Every time you did this, you were being charged in my case $0.51. One item was charged 17 times instead of once - the others ranged anywhere from 2 - 6 times. Of course, eBay did not notify sellers of this so just spent two hours combing through the invoice and another 45 minutes on the phone with an eBay CSR trying to get credits back to my account. SO BEWARE and check your January and February invoices.

greenmonster66
03-18-2021, 06:01 PM
I have been using this new service for the past month and shipped out over 100 cards, only 1 wasn't delivered! I am pretty happy about this cost effective way to mail out 1-3 cards for under $1.

ValKehl
03-18-2021, 09:01 PM
When looking for an item # on my February eBay invoice, I noticed that eBay overcharged me on seven different items when using their Standard Envelope feature. As you know, in late January they were having issues whereby if you hit print label, it sometimes generated a message "Unable to Generate a Label" so you would have to hit print label again. Every time you did this, you were being charged in my case $0.51. One item was charged 17 times instead of once - the others ranged anywhere from 2 - 6 times. Of course, eBay did not notify sellers of this so just spent two hours combing through the invoice and another 45 minutes on the phone with an eBay CSR trying to get credits back to my account. SO BEWARE and check your January and February invoices.

Did eBay agree to give you credit for these overcharges? I just checked my February eBay invoice and discovered that I was overcharged 8 times. The total $$ amount isn't much, but it pisses me off that eBay hasn't notified sellers and done corrections.

insidethewrapper
03-19-2021, 08:19 AM
Just had my first ebay envelope lost. I did a search and the Postmaster contacted me and he had no idea of what I was talking about. He had never heard of a standard letter that could be scanned. He knew nothing about the ebay letter option . I see ebay has it scanned and it is scanned by a postal employee, but if you go to their website USPS.com, you can't track it, it's not in their system. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. What a system ? How can it be scanned by a postal worker and not be in their system ?

RL
03-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Just had my first ebay envelope lost. I did a search and the Postmaster contacted me and he had no idea of what I was talking about. He had never heard of a standard letter that could be scanned. He knew nothing about the ebay letter option . I see ebay has it scanned and it is scanned by a postal employee, but if you go to their website USPS.com, you can't track it, it's not in their system. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. What a system ? How can it be scanned by a postal worker and not be in their system ?

a postal employee can not scan these. the scans come from sorting centers.

kind of like how usps scans the mail for informed delivery.

ValKehl
03-19-2021, 05:21 PM
Did eBay agree to give you credit for these overcharges? I just checked my February eBay invoice and discovered that I was overcharged 8 times. The total $$ amount isn't much, but it pisses me off that eBay hasn't notified sellers and done corrections.

I just now called eBay and spoke with 2 CSRs about this issue. The second CSR reviewed my invoices through March to date and determined that I had been overcharged 10 times for a total of $6.30 (pocket change, I realize). The CSR stated that I will receive a credit for the overcharges on my March invoice.

Also, I told the CSR that I was aware that other eBay sellers who were using the new Standard Envelope process had suffered similar overcharges on their eBay invoices, and I suggested that eBay might earn some positive kudos by taking the initiative to quickly identify all the other instances where this has occurred and issue credits to the affected eBay sellers. The CSR said she will issue a request for eBay's IT department to investigate this issue.

insidethewrapper
03-27-2021, 03:29 PM
With the new tracking on ebay I have had one lost or missing item . So I issued a missing item search at USPS.com. The local postmaster contacted me and he know nothing about this new envelope option on ebay. Here is what I got back from him recently :
" I have reached out to District and they have heard nothing about this type of tracking.
This tracking number is not compatible with USPS tracking.
I think you should reach out to EBay and ask if there is an additional tracking number or information they can provide.
It appears there is some misinformation floating around. "

So USPS scans the item but it doesn't go into their system so they can't track it, but the data goes to ebay and the ebay seller/buyer . That is unbelievable to me.

buymycards
03-28-2021, 05:35 PM
With the new tracking on ebay I have had one lost or missing item . So I issued a missing item search at USPS.com. The local postmaster contacted me and he know nothing about this new envelope option on ebay. Here is what I got back from him recently :
" I have reached out to District and they have heard nothing about this type of tracking.
This tracking number is not compatible with USPS tracking.
I think you should reach out to EBay and ask if there is an additional tracking number or information they can provide.
It appears there is some misinformation floating around. "

So USPS scans the item but it doesn't go into their system so they can't track it, but the data goes to ebay and the ebay seller/buyer . That is unbelievable to me.

These barcodes cannot be scanned by the clerks or the carriers. These are Intelligent Mail Bar-Codes that can only be read by the high speed sorting machines at the large processing plants. So, let's say that your envelope is mailed in Dodgeville, WI and heading to a small town in Illinois. It won't be tracked/scanned until it arrives at the Processing Plant in Milwaukee. Then, when it arrives at the Distribution Processing Plant in Chicago, it will be scanned/tracked, and then it will arrive at the small town in Illinois, where it won't be tracked or scanned.

eBay will see that this letter was scanned at the Plant in Chicago and is headed for small town Il. That is when eBay shows it as delivered. It should arrive at small town Il. on the same day that it was scanned in Chicago and be delivered that day. (Maybe-Maybe not :))

Remember, your local Post Office, your local clerks, and your carriers cannot scan this IMB. It is completely different than the barcodes that are used to track packages.

tonyo
03-28-2021, 09:35 PM
These barcodes cannot be scanned by the clerks or the carriers. These are Intelligent Mail Bar-Codes that can only be read by the high speed sorting machines at the large processing plants. So, let's say that your envelope is mailed in Dodgeville, WI and heading to a small town in Illinois. It won't be tracked/scanned until it arrives at the Processing Plant in Milwaukee. Then, when it arrives at the Distribution Processing Plant in Chicago, it will be scanned/tracked, and then it will arrive at the small town in Illinois, where it won't be tracked or scanned.

eBay will see that this letter was scanned at the Plant in Chicago and is headed for small town Il. That is when eBay shows it as delivered. It should arrive at small town Il. on the same day that it was scanned in Chicago and be delivered that day. (Maybe-Maybe not :))

Remember, your local Post Office, your local clerks, and your carriers cannot scan this IMB. It is completely different than the barcodes that are used to track packages.

understood....... I guess that last step is when eBay considers it delivered,
although it appears that there is no actual scan at the final destination....has anyone had a card that was noted as "delivered" claim to have not been deliverd? seems inevitable........ which side would eBay take in that event? (probably rhetorical at this point..)

jayshum
03-29-2021, 08:56 AM
I recently purchased a card that apparently was shipped using this system. I didn't understand what the ESU tracking number was when I saw it. The tracking info shows a little differently than something shipped with regular USPS tracking. For instance, it doesn't show arrival at my local post office. Instead, the Out for Delivery status shows from the sorting facility that is usually the last stop before my local PO. However, the status in the tracking does show Delivered on the date and time my mail was delivered that day and I received the card.

buymycards
03-29-2021, 02:26 PM
I recently purchased a card that apparently was shipped using this system. I didn't understand what the ESU tracking number was when I saw it. The tracking info shows a little differently than something shipped with regular USPS tracking. For instance, it doesn't show arrival at my local post office. Instead, the Out for Delivery status shows from the sorting facility that is usually the last stop before my local PO. However, the status in the tracking does show Delivered on the date and time my mail was delivered that day and I received the card.

Yes, that is all done through the magic of GPS and the expected delivery time that is determined by the scans of the carrier when he/she leaves the office. These are not actual scans of the letter.