PDA

View Full Version : First Issue of the Sporting News?

whiteymet
01-30-2021, 11:48 AM
Hi Gang:

Not my field of expertise.

I just picked up Vol 1 #1 Of the Sporting News dated March 17, 1886!

However, I understand there was a reprint done in the 1930's.

Is there any way to tell the difference between the two?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers!

aquarius31
01-30-2021, 11:49 AM
Yes...send us pics. It should be obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aquarius31
01-30-2021, 12:46 PM
Hi Gang:

Not my field of expertise.

I just picked up Vol 1 #1 Of the Sporting News dated March 17, 1886!

However, I understand there was a reprint done in the 1930's.

Is there any way to tell the difference between the two?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers!

The overall wear, toning and staining are in line with that timeframe. It’s original.

If you’re ever curious/in doubt, look at the lettering under magnification. It should be solid printing with no dot patterns.

whiteymet
01-30-2021, 01:00 PM
The overall wear, toning and staining are in line with that timeframe. It’s original.

If you’re ever curious/in doubt, look at the lettering under magnification. It should be solid printing with no dot patterns.

Thanks George:

The header seems to be solid black no dot pattern

Any idea of value? I am looking to move it.

aquarius31
01-30-2021, 01:14 PM
Thanks George:

The header seems to be solid black no dot pattern

Any idea of value? I am looking to move it.

That’s a great question. It’s first issue but smaller market and not much historical sales from what I can see so I really can’t give you a price range. Others may have a better opinion. You can see below listing as an example. There are quite a few reproduction listed on eBay so you can see and compare the differences although some look aged as well.

I would unfold the newspaper regardless as it will deteriorate quickly and likely has already in the center fold. It will likely also be ‘limp’ (sorry best way to describe it) vs a repro which should be much sturdier in general. Put it in an acid free sleeve.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/publications/1886-the-sporting-news-first-issue/a/7105-81899.s

doug.goodman
01-30-2021, 03:35 PM
It is my understanding that the original issue was 8 pages and measured 17 X 22, while the reprint was only 6 pages (not sure of the size).

Doug