PDA

View Full Version : Help with Satchel Paige & Cobb Premiums

jb217676
01-30-2021, 04:20 AM
Hi guys,
Posted this in another area but I figure I would post here as well. Here are front and back scans of what I have cataloged as a 1948 Satchel Paige / Bobo Newsome 5" x 8" Two Sided Premium. Never seen another Paige and I've never been able to get any real info on it. Paige looks young on this Premium and the age of his face matches with his 1948 picture pack photos.

I also have a Ty Cobb / Rabbit Maranville from the same series if that helps you guys out with any potential info. If anyone can tell me more about the Paige (or Cobb) that would be great, maybe I have something here LOL!

swarmee
01-30-2021, 04:34 AM
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1948-unc-sided-premium-ty-cobb-rabbit-502176294
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1948-unc-sided-premium-bobo-newsom-502159416

1948Unc.'Anonymous Two-Sided Premium' (front) Ty Cobb - Philadelphia A's AL (back) Rabbit Maranville - Boston Braves NL Unique For auction is a unique, one-of-a-kind front and back print card with Ty Cobb on one side and Rabbit Maranville on the other. It is from an unknown manufacturer. Not much is known about this anonymous 2 sided print photo. They are made of a heavy paper, machine cut, 5" by 8" in size, and pictures a player on both sides. 10 examples have been seen with no duplicates. Other cards in the set that are known are Jackie Robinson/Dick Wakefield, Gabby Hartnett/Frankie Frisch, Jimmy Dykes/Bob Feller, Ted Williams/Leo Durocher, Dizzy Dean/Rogers Hornsby, Walter Johnson/Hack Wilson, GC Alexander/Ducky Medwick, Bobo Newsom/Satchel Paige, and John McGraw/Dazzy Vance. This is the only set ever found of these cards. They include players and managers from the 1920s through the late 1940s. This card has general wear, but has a small vertical tear in the upper right corner that is hard to see in the scan. Insured Shipping Included, Satisfaction Guaranteed,

If you've got a worthpoint subscription (or sign up for a free trial), you can find the selling price and auction date of those two. And with a fuller checklist, you might even find more examples.

jb217676
01-30-2021, 04:53 AM
Very cool, those are my photos! Thanks John! My next question is where did these obscure photos come from and who made them! If these truly are 1948 I guess this would be a Paige rookie year item and maybe the only one around!
Jeff

swarmee
01-30-2021, 05:01 AM
Not sure if the worthpoint page would have the seller's name if you log in. I don't have an account. But if you bought them from those auctions, you could send a message back to the seller, or check their current listings/account info and see where they live.
Or you might just have to wait around until more reveal themselves.

jb217676
01-30-2021, 05:03 AM
Hi John,
I honestly can't remember exactly when and where I got them. They either came from someone on Net54 or ebay.
Jeff

swarmee
01-30-2021, 05:09 AM
Here's one side of the Jackie Robinson/Dick Wakefield, auto'd by Jackie.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/jackie-robinson-autograph-auto-signed-493945813

cannonballsun
01-30-2021, 05:11 AM
Not sure if the worthpoint page would have the seller's name if you log in. I don't have an account. But if you bought them from those auctions, you could send a message back to the seller, or check their current listings/account info and see where they live.
Or you might just have to wait around until more reveal themselves.

I have a subscription. Worthpoint won't give you a seller name.
Both items sold on Feb. 17, 2014. The Cobb/Maranville sold for $69, the Paige/Newsome sold for $125.
Hope this helps.

cannonballsun
01-30-2021, 05:14 AM
Here's one side of the Jackie Robinson/Dick Wakefield, auto'd by Jackie.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/jackie-robinson-autograph-auto-signed-493945813

The autographed Jackie sold for $850 in 2013.

swarmee
01-30-2021, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the sale/date info.

jb217676
01-30-2021, 05:27 AM
That Jackie is sweet, what a deal! As far as the Paige goes, I'm going to consider it a rookie until I hear otherwise. Thanks for your help guys!
Jeff

bgar3
01-30-2021, 06:54 AM
Jeff
I believe these may be pages removed from a book by Powers, Baseball Personalities. The entire uncut book can acquired relatively easily. I do not currently have a copy, but you should be able to compare illustrations fairly easily.
The size, and double sided images are consistent, as is the dating.

jb217676
01-30-2021, 07:02 AM
Yep, looks like they are from that book, thanks for the research!

JLange
01-30-2021, 07:12 AM
Here is a two sided example of Bob Feller / Jimmy Dykes

I had thought this was from an unknown set of picture-pack style cards, but have come to realize this is a cutout from the book Baseball Personalities by Jimmy Powers, 1949.

Special thanks to Net54 members for pointing this out.

JLange
01-30-2021, 07:25 AM
Deleted.

bgar3
01-30-2021, 07:59 AM
I apologize in advance, I try to never get involved in controversies on here, but continued to these as a set etc when they are obtained by destroying a book, is not right. You can acquire a complete set by acquiring the book.

JLange
01-30-2021, 08:19 AM
Thank you for pointing this out. I edited my post to identify the Feller / Dykes item as a cutout from this book.

Jeff
I believe these may be pages removed from a book by Powers, Baseball Personalities. The entire uncut book can acquired relatively easily. I do not currently have a copy, but you should be able to compare illustrations fairly easily.
The size, and double sided images are consistent, as is the dating.