PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Requested on Current State of Third-Party Graders:

clydepepper
01-23-2021, 02:04 PM
I pull back on getting cards graded shortly before the virus hit as I saw a lot of negative reports on this forum.

I'm using this post and your replies to determine if I should dip my toe back in the water.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Rest in Peace King Henry.

ullmandds
01-23-2021, 02:09 PM
Wellllllll...if you want to sell...by not grading you're leaving potentially tons of $$$$ on the table.

If you want to maximize sales in most instances you need to use PSA. Unless you pay for expedited service, you potentially will be waiting many months for your cards back.

SGC similar situation...not as bad timewise...but in many cases you won't maximize your return.

Beckett...I hear has super long wait times as well...more for modern I'd surmise.

If you're not selling...why bother!

my .02.

Republicaninmass
01-23-2021, 02:10 PM
1 month to log 4 months to grade....

A 20 day sub sent 7/28 will have in hand...1/28

Shameful

Directly
01-23-2021, 02:24 PM
Ebay recognizes three major grading companies. So how much cheaper is a SGC Ruth graded say a 2.5 versus a PSA 2.5-- 1/3 cheaper?--trying to figure out the scientific reasoning for the secondary prices realized . It cant be consistency of grading?

OldOriole
01-23-2021, 02:28 PM
Ebay recognizes three major grading companies. So how much cheaper is a SGC Ruth graded say a 2.5 versus a PSA 2.5-- 1/3 cheaper?--trying to figure out the scientific reasoning for the secondary prices realized . It cant be consistency of grading?

I believe most of the difference has to do with the popularity of the PSA set registries, which drive up the prices of PSA graded cards. Many on here prefer SGC graded cards for the personal collections, but PSA when reselling. To each their own, but I believe that the registry explains much of the difference in prices.

perezfan
01-23-2021, 02:33 PM

There might not be a good "scientific" answer, besides the Registry.

Does anyone know what PSA would charge to grade that Ruth, vs. SGC, Beckett and the new CGC? I know that grading prices have recently changed.

Many have indicated wait times that are far worse than what's stated above. I agree that if you don't intend to sell in the near future, why bother?

nat
01-23-2021, 02:49 PM
"log 4 months to grade"

That's just a couple weeks! They must be improving!

Casey2296
01-23-2021, 02:50 PM
While I'm not really a seller and registry means nothing to me esthetics is important for my PC. My preference is pre-war cards in an SGC green label holder, I actually put a premium on those holders. Anything north of 1952 Bowman through early 70's Topps I prefer PSA holders. I'm slowly getting used to the new SGC label for pre-war since I prefer all pre-war in a black apron holder and recently had a great experience with them regarding turn times and service. Don't get me wrong, their white label is a step down compared to the green but if you want a black apron they're the only game in town.

kmac32
01-23-2021, 08:35 PM
I like graded prewar cards but an really disappointed in SGC and PSA. SGC is a shorter time but with my last submission, the costumer service was pathetic. They did not listen to their client who had reasonable answers and solutions and their excuse was this is how we do things. They wanted to upcharge on my silks without explaining their rationale at the tune of $20 per card. Definitely as not necessary in this case as the cards had their adbacks. What they said would be true if the cards did not have adbacks. Even told them that the end result would be my issues and not theirs but they wanted the money. After I told them no, just grade the 1 cards 1921 Koester Bread at the expedited rate and not grade the others. Return time was supposed to be maybe 2 weeks and I got the cards 5 weeks after submission. They couldn’t handle simple instructions that were thoroughly and clearly discussed. As a result, unless I have a card I really need in a SGC holder, I am done doing business with SGC.

As to PSA, 9 months on a submission is ridiculous. Sent 6 koester Bread cards in all hand cut. They clearly would come back as authentic only and I am fine with that. Their research department called them all 1922 W575-1. The Elmer Miller card was originally in their slab as a koester bread and the Jessie Burkett card to my knowledge exists only in Koester Bread, not W575-1. You would think researchers would know this. The only reason these cards were sent to PSA was the fact that SGC would not grade hand cut cards lableld as Koester or W575-1. Not a fan of ridiculous wait times.

Going to give CSG a try when they start grading in February. They actually have a person answering the phone and if they do not know the answer, they find out and call you back. Prices seem reasonable and their lead grader is very experienced.

I have maybe 300 graded cards which are SGC graded and was very loyal to SGC but time for a change. I do not spend tons of money on grading and do it mainly for display purposes. SGC probably won’t miss my business and I will miss their black inserts but the bad customer service is not worth it to me. My 2 cents worth.

Jewish-collector
01-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Are the grading companies like a vet who refuses to listen to a customer's concerns about their pets ? :D

aro13
01-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Wellllllll...if you want to sell...by not grading you're leaving potentially tons of $$$$ on the table.

If you want to maximize sales in most instances you need to use PSA. Unless you pay for expedited service, you potentially will be waiting many months for your cards back.

SGC similar situation...not as bad timewise...but in many cases you won't maximize your return.

Beckett...I hear has super long wait times as well...more for modern I'd surmise.

If you're not selling...why bother!

my .02.

I agree with his .02.

I believe most of the difference has to do with the popularity of the PSA set registries, which drive up the prices of PSA graded cards. Many on here prefer SGC graded cards for the personal collections, but PSA when reselling. To each their own, but I believe that the registry explains much of the difference in prices.

The registry seems to be the common explanation but is has to be much bigger than that. The price discrepancy is for cards that buyers buy for the registry and cards that will never go into a registry set or people likely have never heard of the registry.

Frank A
01-24-2021, 04:54 AM

A PSA Ruth 2.5 is no more expensive than an SGC 2.5.

toledo_mudhen
01-24-2021, 06:00 AM
I have typically been a big fan of SGC Grading & Slabs but over the last several years have found myself migrating to PSA on cards that I purchased for resale or to maintain consistency for my personal set builds. I have never used the PSA Set Registry.

Having said that - the turnaround times for PSA are absolutely ridiculous.

Currently still waiting on the following to come back from PSA -

A large bulk group sub sent by BobbyW (on these boards) around the end of May 2020 is still showing as "GRADING" Stage - so right at 8 months and counting on this one.

A Clemente RC that I sent to PSA on December 19, 2020 as 15 Day Express Service ($100+ in grading fees on this one) is still showing in "Grading" stage - so now at 5-ish weeks on a 15 day Express submission.

I have seen all of the notifications from PSA on what they have done and are doing to "catch up" during this "pandemic" but I would be really interested in knowing just how much of that verbiage is actually true and how much of it is actually Bull Shit.