PDA

View Full Version : Returning Cards to Heritage?

cmfxa
01-21-2021, 04:34 PM
Anyone had any experience returning cards to Heritage? Thinking about buying a few things from the current David Hall auction and was wondering what my options are if the card shows up and looks worse than in the pictures. Thanks!

glchen
01-21-2021, 04:39 PM
Heritage has huge scans, so you should bid with the assumption that you'll never be able to return anything that you win.

Rhotchkiss
01-21-2021, 04:52 PM
You can’t return cards to heritage or any other AH. You win, you buy. You buy, you keep. You no buy, you banned. It’s not a store, or eBay.

scmavl
01-21-2021, 05:16 PM
*note to self: do not sell cards to cmfxa*

Rickyy
01-21-2021, 05:36 PM
yep no returns... most AH would be happy to blow up scans for you if you ask.

Ricky Y

atx840
01-21-2021, 06:12 PM
Their scans are top notch although occasionally creases arent as prevalent as in-hand.

https://i.imgur.com/GcTvjo1.png

Rhotchkiss
01-21-2021, 08:05 PM
Wow Chris, that is pretty a big crease not to show up in a scan... is that the Lenox? (Awesome card)

atx840
01-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Yep, thanks!

perezfan
01-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Wow Chris, that is pretty a big crease not to show up in a scan... is that the Lenox? (Awesome card)

Happens a lot. That's why I wish sellers would disclose creases/wrinkles if they are present. Not just Heritage.... everyone. Far fewer sellers are doing it, and lazily opt only to say the grade ("PSA 4" for example).

The card itself should be more important than an assigned grade.

cmfxa
01-21-2021, 09:05 PM
Their scans are top notch although occasionally creases arent as prevalent as in-hand.

This is exactly the scenario I'm worried about. One of the cards I'm looking at describes some kind of light crease, but I can't see anything in the pscan and Heritage won't give me any more pictures of it. Just a gamble I guess.

mantlefan
01-21-2021, 09:10 PM
Most AH's have this statement in their auction rules:.

ALL SALES ARE FINAL. No returns are accepted.

jcmtiger
01-21-2021, 09:14 PM
If you are not comfortible with that crease in top right corner. Don’t. Bid

JollyElm
01-21-2021, 09:43 PM
I don't have a horse in this race, but OMFG!!! That is some serious ass Photoshop bullsh*t!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/h59JDEm.gif

jcmtiger
01-21-2021, 09:51 PM
I don't have a horse in this race, but OMFG!!! That is some serious ass Photoshop bullsh*t!!!!

That’s not good

Michael B
01-22-2021, 03:00 AM

I enlarged my screen to get a good look at it. I believe that was photoshopped to hide the crease. It is very blatant on the margin where it is completely gone. They did no do as great a job cloning the yellow as you can see remnants of the crease.

swarmee
01-22-2021, 04:48 AM
It also could be scanner settings, not an intentional fix in photoshop. I know I bought a card from Dean's Cards via COMC that mentioned "crease" but wasn't visible in the scan. Bought it and the crease was huge; no funny business, just an unintentionally bad scan. Got a full refund with no problems.

Remember sometimes scanners omit the 1 in "150" on the back of T206 cards. That's not manipulation of the photo in photoshop either, just unintentionally bad scanner settings.

In this case, Heritage should definitely provide better scans since the OP has asked. Sounds like something the consignor would be disappointed to hear is not occurring.

AGuinness
01-22-2021, 10:38 AM

It also could be scanner settings, not an intentional fix in photoshop. I know I bought a card from Dean's Cards via COMC that mentioned "crease" but wasn't visible in the scan. Bought it and the crease was huge; no funny business, just an unintentionally bad scan. Got a full refund with no problems.

Remember sometimes scanners omit the 1 in "150" on the back of T206 cards. That's not manipulation of the photo in photoshop either, just unintentionally bad scanner settings.

In this case, Heritage should definitely provide better scans since the OP has asked. Sounds like something the consignor would be disappointed to hear is not occurring.

I can't jump to the conclusion of shenanigans, notably because I agree with the scanner settings assertion. Looking at the ridges of the slab that are on the sides and top of this example in the fine work in the post by JollyElm, it really drives it home how the light from the two scanners is so different.
That said, there's no excuse for a big auction house not to get scanner settings correct to give a very accurate image of every card.

atx840
07-21-2021, 08:54 PM
HA vs in hand.

https://i.imgur.com/oNHn4Qg.png

https://i.imgur.com/sogXXgV.png

Casey2296
07-21-2021, 08:57 PM
Holy crap Chris! That's more than just a Deans filter enhancement, what's HA's position on that?

Golfcollector
07-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Starting to smell like a need for BODA investigation on Blowout..

These scans are DISTURBING!

atx840
07-21-2021, 09:07 PM
Living in Canada it took a good month to get to me and in the interim I had made a trade that included it based on the HA scans. Well, when I got it in hand I had to call the other party (long-time collectors and board members) and send them my own images just to make sure they were aware. The deal still went through but I was not impressed.

Seven
07-21-2021, 09:10 PM
Does not make me feel the best about my most recent win in their auction.

Johnny630
07-21-2021, 09:13 PM
Buyer Beware As Always Nobody Other then Yourself is going to have your back in this industry. It’s the wild Wild West all the way around.

todeen
07-21-2021, 09:20 PM
Buyer Beware As Always Nobody Other then Yourself is going to have your back in this industry. It’s the wild Wild West all the way around.Perhaps. But I would say joining this community has been the best thing for me in the hobby in 10 years. Some upright ethical collectors here. And the sheriff kicks out the rubbish when he is alerted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seven
07-21-2021, 09:30 PM
For frame of reference here is the image that heritage provided for the card I just won. Lets hope it looks close to that. I know their shipping process takes a good amount of time, will keep you all posted.

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F2%2F8%2F8%2F24288161%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

drcy
07-21-2021, 10:49 PM
A consignment auction house (that gets a fraction of the sale) paying consigners quickly and being liberal about returns is too much to realistically expect. The two are intrinsically at odds with each other, and one has to give.

Tabe
07-22-2021, 12:08 AM
I enlarged my screen to get a good look at it. I believe that was photoshopped to hide the crease. It is very blatant on the margin where it is completely gone. They did no do as great a job cloning the yellow as you can see remnants of the crease.

It's very obviously photoshopped. That's not a scanner setting, that's manual photo editing after the fact.

whiteymet
07-22-2021, 12:27 AM
I understand the situations are different but through the years I have "returned" two items I have won. I put the word "returned" in parenthesis because one I never had in hand.

The first was with Heritage. They had a framed item that hid some small print that told me if the item was legit or not. I asked my questions and showed them another of the same item with the wording well before the auction was over and they replied that if I won the auction they would then take it out of the frame to examine. If the wording was present they would send it to me if not they would agree to not hold me to my winning bid.

They took it out of the frame, the wording was not there, They still insisted the item was original, but true to their word they did not hold me to my bid. They later relisted it, noting the missing printed words, while still saying it was original.

The second was a listing in a Lelands auctions with a number of photos. I forget the exact amount. Only a few photos were shown, but the listing stated that 30% were autographed. When I received the lot nowhere near 30% were autographed. I asked to return the lot and they agreed.

As noted these are different circumstances than the OP asked about, but to say all sales are final etc. that is not always the case.

vthobby
07-22-2021, 02:01 AM
I will never bid or consign to them again.

The worst!

REA is where it's at.

Most in the hobby know this for buying or consigning.

Dean and the REA crew are incredible!

Peace, Mike

chriskim
07-22-2021, 04:42 AM
Just to be fair, I have seen HA showed card damages (ceases) on an image taken by digital camera and they also provided images taken from scanner (not showing those ceases as much). Taking images using digital camera on a tilted angle makes a big diff..... just like Chris's Jordan brown Lenox

Aaron Seefeldt
07-22-2021, 04:59 AM
Last week I left 2 voicemails for Peter Calderon (on diff days) asking him to please call me as I have a coupe of questions about 2 different lots in today’s auction. He is their “grading expert”.

Nothing.
Zip.
Zilch.
Zero.

Now I won’t be bidding on either item. It has to make the consignor(s) proud!

chriskim
07-22-2021, 05:36 AM
Last week I left 2 voicemails for Peter Calderon (on diff days) asking him to please call me as I have a coupe of questions about 2 different lots in today’s auction. He is their “grading expert”.

Nothing.
Zip.
Zilch.
Zero.

Now I won’t be bidding on either item. It has to make the consignor(s) proud!

Tell them u have a T206 Wagner consider to consign and also have a few questions about their current auction. They will call u back in 2 mins.

bobbyw8469
07-22-2021, 06:18 AM
For frame of reference here is the image that heritage provided for the card I just won. Lets hope it looks close to that. I know their shipping process takes a good amount of time, will keep you all posted.

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F2%2F8%2F8%2F24288161%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

That is some pretty serious creasing going on in the middle of the card. I have a feeling you aren't going to be happy.

Johnny630
07-22-2021, 06:35 AM
Tell them u have a T206 Wagner consider to consign and also have a few questions about their current auction. They will call u back in 2 mins.

Lmao

chriskim
07-22-2021, 06:40 AM
That is some pretty serious creasing going on in the middle of the card. I have a feeling you aren't going to be happy.

Seems to have multiple vertical ceases from top to bottom. Hope they aren't really that bad.

Seven
07-22-2021, 07:06 AM

After seeing this thread, I am a little afraid of that, but absolute worst case scenario, it's an early Mantle and I shouldn't have much of a problem getting at a minimum, what I paid for it from someone else.

Initially I looked at the scans they provided and thought that I would be okay, but after seeing this thread, I am a little nervous. thought I got a pretty good deal on something that was slabbed a 1.5, guess we'll have to wait and see.

HistoricNewspapers
07-22-2021, 08:09 AM

Good idea.

Back in the day when I could not reach a human to fix a cable TV problem, I called back and chose the option to buy more services. I got a person right away.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work anymore either. Its almost all completely online or automated now. Its now a complete sh*tshow.

Exhibitman
07-22-2021, 08:13 AM
You'd have a better chance of landing an Israeli fighter jet in Tehran International Airport.

Seven
07-22-2021, 08:16 AM
You'd have a better chance of landing an Israeli fighter jet in Tehran International Airport.

I'm stealing this expression for the future, never heard of this one before!

Exhibitman
07-22-2021, 09:13 AM
I'm stealing this expression for the future, never heard of this one before!

Thanks. You've been a great audience. Enjoy REO Speedwagon.

perezfan
07-22-2021, 10:47 AM
I will never bid or consign to them again.

The worst!

REA is where it's at.

Peace, Mike

Agree.... they are "cream of the crop". And same goes for Tom at REA (for memorabilia).

LOTG is also in that top-tier category... Nothing but great experiences on both the consigning and buying ends, always with honesty/integrity and no BS.

Exhibitman
07-22-2021, 10:51 AM
And Sterling too.

I've also had good experiences with Clean Sweep, tho I have heard from others with troubled transactions.

bobbyw8469
07-22-2021, 10:53 AM
Agree.... they are "cream of the crop". And same goes for Tom at REA (for memorabilia).

LOTG is also in that top-tier category... Nothing but great experiences on both the consigning and buying ends, always with honesty/integrity and no BS.

I would love to see a list of all the Auction Houses. And to hear people's personal experiences. The good AND the bad. With all that is going on with my situation, I am tempted to just sell everything and leave the hobby. Would love to hear how these auction houses responded.

BRoberts
07-22-2021, 11:07 AM
The hobby is a better place with you in it, Bobby. PLEASE don't leave.

oldjudge
07-22-2021, 12:08 PM
I’ve been around for a while and I can tell you that Chris Ivy is one of the good guys in the hobby.

chadeast
07-22-2021, 01:25 PM
REA is where it's at.

Peace, Mike

+1. Everything about REA is world class, especially their customer service. I had an issue recently in the realm of the OP's question and REA resolved it for me very quickly and professionally. The experience only further solidified them as my favorite big auction house, by far.

Johnny630
07-22-2021, 01:44 PM
REA is the best Agree :-)

Bored5000
07-22-2021, 01:49 PM
HA vs in hand.

Wow, I would definitely be disappointed to see the card show up with so many creases after seeing that scan.

Edd*e Sm*th

Aaron Seefeldt
07-22-2021, 01:50 PM
I’ve been buying & consigning through REA for over 25 years.

By far and away the #1 auction house to deal with.

brob28
07-22-2021, 03:25 PM
HA vs in hand.

I'm sorry to all the Heritage supporters, but that is B.S! Just too blatant to ignore for me, seems like buying from them is a crap shoot based on the scans shown. A hard pass for me.

Might as well give a shout out to REA - anytime I've asked for more scans or had questions they're right on it. Even worked with me on a concern I had with a low dollar card purchased in one of their auctions.

Still can't get over the difference in those scans Chris!

Bill Roberts

Peter_Spaeth
07-22-2021, 03:44 PM
Nothing new -- people have been complaining forever that Heritage's pics hide/downplay some types of defects. This is one of the more egregious examples I've seen but there have been others for sure.

Seven
07-22-2021, 04:21 PM
Nothing new -- people have been complaining forever that Heritage's pics hide/downplay some types of defects. This is one of the more egregious examples I've seen but there have been others for sure.

I've already assumed the worst with the 52 Bowman Mantle I just bought, now we have to play the waiting game to see what it actually looks like. If it's bad, they'll get a strongly worded email from me, not that it will do much, but at least it will make me feel better. But lets hope for the best.

JeremyW
07-22-2021, 04:38 PM
Aren't there laws about fair representations?

brob28
07-23-2021, 06:10 AM
I've already assumed the worst with the 52 Bowman Mantle I just bought, now we have to play the waiting game to see what it actually looks like. If it's bad, they'll get a strongly worded email from me, not that it will do much, but at least it will make me feel better. But lets hope for the best.

I hope it all works out for you James. For me personally, I don't have the time or inclination to deal with an AH that plays such games. Still trying (perhaps foolishly) to keep this hobby fun and avoid hassles as best I can.

Seven
07-23-2021, 07:34 AM
I hope it all works out for you James. For me personally, I don't have the time or inclination to deal with an AH that plays such games. Still trying (perhaps foolishly) to keep this hobby fun and avoid hassles as best I can.

I never saw this original thread in the first place, I assumed Heritage to be reliable and what actually made me want to use them even more was the fact that the scans they offered appeared to be very high quality. Also seeing what 1's and 1.5's of the 52 Bowman have been going for, I thought I got a good deal (I still think I did) all that being said, it's defintely disheartening that they play these games and going forward I do not think I will use them, for cards at least, for the foreseeable future.

ullmandds
07-23-2021, 08:07 AM
I am not a big seller but I have dealt with a handful of the major auction houses:

Golden
REA
Goodwin(RIP thankfully)
Sterling
Heritage
Love of the Game

Everyone is going to have different experiences based on what they are consigning...their relationship with the house, etc.

I've had lukewarm experiences with most that I've dealt with. I don't want to have to hound these folks to get paid...but I have had to with most. Should I have to wait over a month for payment because the winner went over the time limit the AH allows to pay? I don't think so yet this has happened.

Sterling is my favorite AH to deal with...I know Lee well...he's closeby...I can always get in touch with him if I need to...and I've never ever had an issue.

Seven
07-26-2021, 04:05 PM
Heritage just shipped out the Mantle I won, Fedex has it arriving by Thursday. Will update this post, once I have the card in hand.

atx840
07-26-2021, 07:28 PM
Hopefully it's more in line with the scans.....still a great card.

Stampsfan
07-27-2021, 02:00 AM
HA vs in hand.

OMG!!
That's the kind of photoshopping I would expect to see on a Match.com photo, with the bottom photo being the lady you actually meet.

Seven
07-29-2021, 10:17 AM
After patiently waiting I finally got my winnings from Heritage today. I have to commend them for how well it was packaged. The card was placed inside a larger cardsaver, which was then bubble wrapped and placed in a decently large box with packing peanuts.

I was very nervous as I was opening it, I'm not going to lie, especially seeing some comparisons to what their cards look like on their website as opposed to in hand. However the worrying was for nothing and I breathed a sigh of relief. Here's a picture below of the card, the crease going through Mantle's arm is not nearly as pronounced as I was worried about. This did teach me a lesson though, always check with Net54 before purchasing anything!

https://i.imgur.com/a3VYXCb.jpg?3

atx840
07-29-2021, 10:27 AM
Very good to hear and nice looking card!

Tabe
07-29-2021, 12:47 PM
Definitely a nice card. Looks like Heritage's listing accurately reflected the card you'd be getting.

chadeast
08-16-2021, 07:12 PM
Heritage image on the left, my scan on the right. I just got this card. Notice the creasing in the lower left.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51383491368_be30faccd3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mhzPNY)https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51383215276_556b4057b7_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mhypJL)

rand1com
08-16-2021, 07:19 PM
Good luck. I guarantee you that somewhere in their rules it states that graded cards are not returnable but I totally agree that is terrible that they doctored the scan/pic to that level.

BobbyStrawberry
08-16-2021, 07:26 PM
Heritage image on the left, my scan on the right. I just got this card. Notice the creasing in the lower left.

Wow, that is just straight up photoshopping.

Seven
08-16-2021, 07:42 PM
It's really unfortunate, to say the least. I was thankfully happy with what I received from them, but it has made me question almost everything going forward. From what I've been reading one of the only places that is 100% reliable is REA

Pat R
08-16-2021, 07:58 PM
Good luck. I guarantee you that somewhere in their rules it states that graded cards are not returnable but I totally agree that is terrible that they doctored the scan/pic to that level.

Finding their rules should be a challenge on the game show minute to win it
in REA and most other auction houses they're right at the top of the page.

perezfan
08-16-2021, 10:11 PM
All sellers (whether a dealer, auction house, or eBay) should disclose creases and wrinkles like that in their descriptions... especially when the scans fail to pick up these creases.

The difference between the Heritage scan and the net54 member scan is the difference between whether or not I would even bid on it. Very misleading... I would definitely return that card for a refund.