PDA

View Full Version : Old NASA Neil Armstrong pickup from a show today need some help

ainmon
01-17-2021, 05:30 PM
Took a chance on this today at a show paid $1400 no idea if that’s good or not lol. It’s a signed business card from a Chilean ambassador signed October 1966 by Armstrong and Gordon. Was hoping someone with more knowledge can one give me a translation of the note and two an idea of retail value. Thanks for the help!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210118/a1376c0ec63c4507ad768bc54d5a965b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210118/54495afde8f8cb0155825af746898151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MooseDog
01-17-2021, 06:06 PM
Cool piece, my Spanish is very rudimentary but it seems like a description of the signed card. I can make out "...personally gifted by astronauts Neil Armstrong...Gordon Cooper is signed on the card....to Eduardo Cisternas...Santiago Chile October 28 1966..."

Hopefully someone with better translation skills can fill in the rest.

swarmee
01-17-2021, 06:15 PM
I gave my translation attempt on Blowout.

Best I can make out:
Distruitivo de la Capsula Gemini obsequiado personalmente per el astronauta ? Neil Armstrong, junto cine ectame par el plee? cinespaniero inear Gordon Cooper su ? en la tarjeta, a Eduardo Cisternas para su hijo Eduardo Cisternas Binege.
Santiago de Chile, Octubre 28 de 1966

May be a notecard flown on the Gemini Capsule personally by Neil Armstrong. Looks like it was given to the Protocol Officer as a gift to his son. Gordon Cooper was also an astronaut.

ainmon
01-17-2021, 06:21 PM
Thanks for that translation. It could make it very interesting if that was flown... mayhaps my gamble wasn’t too bad.

swarmee
01-17-2021, 06:33 PM
I am not sure, but it is small enough and preprinted with the guy's name that it could have been flown, intended to be a souvenir. The handwriting is harder to read than most cursive.

ainmon
01-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Very true, the note card that it is attached to on the back is marked embassy of Chile so could make sense... Found an article from that trip that says they gifted among other things photos from missions, space rocks, and others to thank Chile for their satellite installations... so not out of the realm of possibility

doug.goodman
01-17-2021, 09:05 PM
Very true, the note card that it is attached to on the back is marked embassy of Chile so could make sense... Found an article from that trip that says they gifted among other things photos from missions, space rocks, and others to thank Chile for their satellite installations... so not out of the realm of possibility

I'm not a space expert, but I don't think there were space rocks that early...

ainmon
01-17-2021, 10:08 PM
I'm not a space expert, but I don't think there were space rocks that early...

I’m assuming they meant meteorites or something as the moon landing did not happen until three years later. (It could also just be poor translation as the articles I found were all in Spanish) The article I found was from the museum that houses the collection (they did a public exhibit in 2012 when he passed). Apparently the US and Chile had a great relationship when it came to NASA.

Jewish-collector
01-18-2021, 11:25 AM
Ask in this forum

http://www.collectspace.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi