PDA

View Full Version : Pirates? 1920's? Identification Help Please

jpop43
01-09-2021, 05:11 PM
All,

I've had this image in my possession for many years but never really gave it too much thought. I was looking thru some of my stuff tonight, it caught my eye, and figured I'd post it here in hopes of some information.

The image is large...11x14" and I believe its a printing from something else given the mark in the upper right corner (part of the photo...not written atop of if). I don't know how old the image itself is, although I can tell it has significant age based upon the paper which its printed (toning, patina, brittleness on edges, etc).

I have absolutely no idea as to the subject matter. I did figure it to be a couple of Pirates players (?) from the late teen/ 1920s (?), and maybe at a spring training venue. I've always wondered who the old man in the middle (holding a ball) is. My sincere hope is that its someone really important and ancient even at that time.

So, I'm now tossing it out there to the experts...who are they? When might the image have been taken? And, what do you make of the print itself?

Oh, and so you know...its actually a very, very clear and crisp image. Any focus issues are due to my camera.

Thanks to all who contribute,

Jon
www.dugouttreasures.com

Michael B
01-09-2021, 09:02 PM
That looks like it could be Princeton. Here is Josiah McCracken 1900 Olympic medalist.

jpop43
01-10-2021, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the observation...I hadn't thought Princeton as the two uniformed subjects look a bit older than college aged, but I appreciate the input.

Here is an image I found of a Pittsburgh Player from 1925...the actual uniform seems to match, but I am still on the hunt for answers!

Thanks,
Jon

71buc
01-10-2021, 12:12 PM
Is that Max Carey on the right?