PDA

View Full Version : (EDIT) Auction taken down

Eric72
12-28-2020, 08:45 PM
...there's a card on eBay that has me concerned.

When I went to verify the cert number, it came up as a different card. Completely different; another player/grade/decade/sport.

The seller has 100% positive with 10,000+ feedback. They have other PSA graded cards for sale, some at much higher dollar amounts. I checked cert numbers for a few of this seller's four- and five-figure items. The certs checked out.

I really don't think this seller would jeopardize their business over one card that will sell for (likely) less than a thousand dollars. It just wouldn't make sense.

The auction still has a few days to go. There are a dozen or so bids. It is currently at a few hundred dollars.

If it were an obvious zero-feedback scammer, I'd simply post the link. All things considered, though, I'm thinking of messaging the seller privately instead.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Seven
12-28-2020, 08:55 PM

When I went to verify the cert number, it came up as a different card. Completely different; another player/grade/decade/sport.

The seller has 100% positive with 10,000+ feedback. They have other PSA graded cards for sale, some at much higher dollar amounts. I checked cert numbers for a few of this seller's four- and five-figure items. The certs checked out.

I really don't think this seller would jeopardize their business over one card that will sell for (likely) less than a thousand dollars. It just wouldn't make sense.

The auction still has a few days to go. There are a dozen or so bids. It is currently at a few hundred dollars.

If it were an obvious zero-feedback scammer, I'd simply post the link. All things considered, though, I'm thinking of messaging the seller privately instead.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I'd message the seller, he could've very well purchased it from somewhere else, with the intention to flip it for a higher price. It's quite possible it was just an oversight on his part, not double checking the card before the listing.

Casey2296
12-28-2020, 08:56 PM
10K positive feedback the Selker deserves a heads up. He'll probably thank you.

bnorth
12-28-2020, 08:56 PM

Thoughts/suggestions?

Best of luck. I done something similar and the seller sent me a profanity filled response telling me how important they are in the hobby. They also tried to belittle me in several ways. All I know is they sold a 100% altered card as a rare printing error. I have learned trying to be helpful usually results in a scammer calling you names.:)

pokerplyr80
12-28-2020, 11:15 PM
Best of luck. I done something similar and the seller sent me a profanity filled response telling me how important they are in the hobby. They also tried to belittle me in several ways. All I know is they sold a 100% altered card as a rare printing error. I have learned trying to be helpful usually results in a scammer calling you names.:)

Either way you get your answer. Although if this seller has several more expensive legitimate cards posted I would guess there is a good chance they're unaware of the issue and just might say thanks for the heads up and pull the listing.

slightlyrounded
12-29-2020, 01:02 AM
From everything you’ve indicated, my guess is this is just error on the part of grader. Occam’s Razor, yadda yadda.

Still makes sense to contact seller with a heads up.

cubman1941
12-29-2020, 04:41 AM
I have contacted sellers with "possible errors" in their listings and have always gotten a "thank you" or "appreciate it" so I would contact the seller.

Eric72
12-29-2020, 04:58 AM
Thanks, everyone. I sent the seller a quick message. I'll let you know how this goes.

Eric72
12-29-2020, 05:49 AM
Seller got back to me quickly. Their reply was courteous and they seemed grateful.

Nice to see people doing the right thing.

Jobu
12-29-2020, 07:29 AM
Did the seller end the auction? If so, I'd love to see the card in question.

Seller got back to me quickly. Their reply was courteous and they seemed grateful.

Nice to see people doing the right thing.

Eric72
12-29-2020, 07:50 AM
Did the seller end the auction? If so, I'd love to see the card in question.

As of the time I write this, the auction is still live.

bigfanNY
12-29-2020, 08:45 AM
Eric if you notified the seller and the card is still live I would say that it is appropriate to name the card so that no member here gets stung.
Jmho
Jonathan Sterling

Eric72
12-29-2020, 09:15 AM
It has been about 4 hours since the seller replied. As of a minute ago, the auction is still live. Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-BOWMAN-BASEBALL-202-MICKEY-MANTLE-PSA-5-EX-YANKEES-HOF-9840/184598851562?hash=item2afaf2efea:g:WgYAAOSweR9fw9W 4

Throttlesteer
12-29-2020, 09:21 AM
It's an older flip, so the cases are more subject to tampering. I don't see anything obvious, but I would be hesitant to bid.

Eric72
12-29-2020, 09:22 AM
I scanned the bar code with my PSA Cert Verification app. I also manually entered the cert number. After triple checking, I kept getting the same result:

The cert number on the 1955 Bowman Mantle was coming up as a Gordie Howe hockey card.

swarmee
12-29-2020, 09:25 AM
It could very well be a PSA Mechanical Error. The Mantle will need to be sent back to PSA to be confirmed as their error in assigning the cert number twice and then they will give the Mantle a new cert number and reholder it.
Add: the way the seller took the photo on a white background makes it harder to detect frosting from the flip on the case being removed, and a fake flip inserted. But, my best guess, is that PSA screwed this one up. They've done it a bunch before, accidentally assigning the same cert number to multiple cards.

RL
12-29-2020, 09:56 AM
I just sent him a message about the card / cert number

No reply yet

Pat R
12-29-2020, 09:58 AM
FWIW the same card with the same cert number sold on ebay on April 9

swarmee
12-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Top right corner has enough frosting to possibly replace the flip with a fake, based on those new pictures.

Interesting that the eBay sale from 2018 doesn't show up in PSA's Auction Prices Realized under the Gordie Howe Cert#.

Cert 05059841 (the next one) is for a 1969 Topps Mickey Mantle, and the one following that is a 1979 OPC Gretzky. So that leads credence to the fact that PSA made a mistake and both cards were probably submitted by the same account and accidentally given the same cert#.

ALBB
12-29-2020, 10:21 AM
Ha Ha,

Im very important in the hobby ! LOL

bobbyw8469
12-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Ha Ha,

Im very important in the hobby ! LOL

Me too.

Eric72
12-29-2020, 11:26 AM
"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."