PDA

View Full Version : FYI: not Fleet Walker

bmarlowe1
12-26-2020, 12:00 PM
I didn't catch it at the time, but there is no Fleet Walker photo in that collection:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/photos/circa-1880-moses-fleetwood-walker-oberlin-college-photograph-collection/a/50006-50272.s

Claimed Walker is below left. Real Walkers at center and right. I don't think a detailed analysis is needed here.

bjerome
12-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Three things immediately stick out to me with the photo in question as opposed to the known photos of Walker. The first is the nose. These men have different noses. The second is the ears. Walker's ears towards the top tend to curl outward and give him a distinct looking set of ears. The third is his hair. I would assume that the two photos of Walker were taken in a relatively similar time period during his playing career. The photo in question seems to be taken at a later time than the 2 known photos judging by the clarity of the photo and the man appearing to be older than a young ballplayer. In that time period long before hair restoration unless wearing a toupee would a man grow hair on the top of his head where hair wasn't growing before. In the known photos of Walker his hair is receding on both sides of the widows peak. The other gentleman does not have a receding hair line on the opposite side of the profile. Just a few observations I have made looking at these photos.