PDA

View Full Version : Gary saw it coming??

jboosted92
12-24-2020, 11:26 AM
https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/sports-cards-value-will-explode/

came across this....2 years ago

Jackieandsatchel
12-24-2020, 11:41 AM
https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/sports-cards-value-will-explode/

came across this....2 years ago

While I think he was probably right to some extent back then, the pandemic just doused an unbelievable amount of gasoline on the fire and took the market (at least the modern market) to heights that nobody could truly have imagined. It's been covered ad nauseum here and other places around the Internet, but I do believe there will be some sort of correction when life (hopefully) gets back to "normal." A good number of new or reborn collectors will stay and continue in the hobby, but the allocation of funds back to vacations, restaurants, sporting events, etc. will inevitably cause a slowdown or correction.

wnp22
12-24-2020, 11:50 AM
I think it's a combination of the pandemic as well as "influencers" like Gary V kind of speaking it into existence. Once they started to put some hype behind sports cards as an investment vehicle and a way to make money, it basically turned into a runaway train.

I personally think the gains on high grade vintage HOFers will hold a large percentage of their increase once things start to calm down again. Things like the modern basketball card market, however, I feel are built on sand and are ready to topple at some point. Luckily I was grabbing up some Ja Morant stuff before the pandemic started, and those cards are ridiculously priced right now.

Yoda
12-24-2020, 12:59 PM
I think it's a combination of the pandemic as well as "influencers" like Gary V kind of speaking it into existence. Once they started to put some hype behind sports cards as an investment vehicle and a way to make money, it basically turned into a runaway train.

I personally think the gains on high grade vintage HOFers will hold a large percentage of their increase once things start to calm down again. Things like the modern basketball card market, however, I feel are built on sand and are ready to topple at some point. Luckily I was grabbing up some Ja Morant stuff before the pandemic started, and those cards are ridiculously priced right now.

I agree, but who will be the last fool standing with all his overpriced modern basketball?

swarmee
12-24-2020, 01:12 PM
Some segments already crashing. Some are still going strong, amazingly. Some are crashing once all the cards come back from PSA. We'll see if the same level of customer interest is there six months later and with 10,000 more Shaquille O'Neal RCs in slabs each month. At some point people have to run out of money, right?

Snapolit1
12-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Modern basketball has a fervent following around the world that MLB can only dream of. Basketball is a world wide phenomenon.
Not disputing that the Michael Jordan Shaq stuff hasn't gotten on board the crazy train. The supply of these cards is plentiful. Every catalog I get now has 35 pages of Jordan cards. Have to assume the post TV series rush has peaked.

QUOTE=Yoda;2049249]I agree, but who will be the last fool standing with all his overpriced modern basketball?[/QUOTE]

rjackson44
12-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Old news

HOF Auto Rookies
12-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Many of us saw it coming. Not surprising in the slightest. I'm actually glad for the boom to hopefully get more kids involved.

samosa4u
12-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Some excellent posts here and I agree a hundred-percent!

Just recently, a good Toronto buddy of mine offered me a beautiful PSA 6 Chamberlain rookie, but I had to pass on it. Why? This was one of the cards that got "pumped up" so high, and now it's coming down. The question is, when will this decline stop? Anyhow, it was tough passing on such a nice card, but I knew it was the right thing to do.

todeen
12-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Some segments already crashing.

This is the history of our hobby. There are some card brands/years/types that have exploded in popularity in the past only to lose popularity later. Im thinking of Wheaties as an example. But luckily, popularity moves on to another sector.

Some recent pushes such as photos and postcards are riding waves now. But there are a lot of collectors hoping the wave ends and prices come back down. A few collectors on this site have publicly said they are taking breaks from certain sectors of the hobby because they're no longer within budget when just 18 months ago it was a very different experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GoCubsGo32
12-26-2020, 02:31 PM
Yes. Yes, I did see it coming.

RCMcKenzie
12-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Luka Doncic cards seem very pricey to me. I'm surprised there are not more start-up companies making a bunch of 1/5's with his picture on it.