PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with USPS tracking?

Snapolit1
12-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage advice.

Seven
12-19-2020, 02:54 PM
Sage advice.

They're always iffy this time of year, Covid is making it worse. They really need a top down restructuring too but that's a post for another board :D

botport
12-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Most of my shipments have been lost in the Ether lately. I recently shipped a set of golf clubs to New Hampshire. After arriving at the local hub on 12.6 they were labeled MISSENT on 12.7, they scanned as DLVD on 12.17.

Another shipment from PA to MD went out on 12.8 it arrived in MD on 12.10 and is showing ARRIVAL AT UNIT on 12.19.

I am not trying to disparage the USPS workers, I understand that they are swamped right now. It is frustrating as a seller when shipments are difficult to track.

BobbyStrawberry
12-19-2020, 04:27 PM
They're always iffy this time of year, Covid is making it worse. They really need a top down restructuring too but that's a post for another board :D

A top down restructuring, you say?

https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5f4d28ec46bf90 9ad3bee48a%2F960x0.jpg%3FcropX1%3D0%26cropX2%3D460 0%26cropY1%3D0%26cropY2%3D2587

Buythatcard
12-20-2020, 07:33 AM
In the past week, I had 2 buyers open cases on eBay for not receiving their items. I send out all items within 24 hours of payment. Over the past 17 years of selling, I received an average of 1 complaint every 2 years.

Have to explain to these buyers that USPS is having major delays due to the Covid-19 plus the holiday rush. In addition, the East Coast just went thru a major snowstorm.

I have noticed that for many items that I have shipped out over the past few months, USPS have not scanned in the tracking info. Some times it doesn't show up till it arrives at its destination.

I understand that there are a lot of issues with deliveries during these times and I just wish buyers would be more understanding. Instead of quickly opening cases with eBay, try contacting the seller first. This way we can explain the issues to them.

jayshum
12-20-2020, 08:17 AM
In the past week, I had 2 buyers open cases on eBay for not receiving their items. I send out all items within 24 hours of payment. Over the past 17 years of selling, I received an average of 1 complaint every 2 years.

Have to explain to these buyers that USPS is having major delays due to the Covid-19 plus the holiday rush. In addition, the East Coast just went thru a major snowstorm.

I have noticed that for many items that I have shipped out over the past few months, USPS have not scanned in the tracking info. Some times it doesn't show up till it arrives at its destination.

I understand that there are a lot of issues with deliveries during these times and I just wish buyers would be more understanding. Instead of quickly opening cases with eBay, try contacting the seller first. This way we can explain the issues to them.

I have a few cards listed in the B/S/T that I would also like to list on eBay, but with the USPS delays right now, I don't want to sell them there for this exact reason. If they sell and are delayed in being delivered, a buyer can open a case and get a refund, then when the card most likely does get delivered, I would be out the card and the money for it.

bigfish
12-20-2020, 08:27 AM
Paid for auction items Nov 17. Package has gone from NJ to Del to PA to CT to NH to MA and now appears to be heading back out of state.

Fed ex is still getting it done

insidethewrapper
12-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Something is wrong with USPS. I ordered an item from Wisconsin and I live in Michigan and it goes from Wisconsin to Oklahoma and it is still there a week later.

Snapolit1
12-20-2020, 08:47 AM
I mailed a small box NJ to Texas on December 7. Still not in tracking system. Maddening.

Lesson learned. Don't mail any cards to anyone for any reason in December.

BruceinGa
12-20-2020, 08:50 AM
I bought an item on eBay in November. The seller was located in Ky and for 3 weeks tracking showed accepted.
I opened a case two days ago. :mad:

carlsonjok
12-20-2020, 08:55 AM
Here is a surprise. I've been waiting on a couple of card deliveries for about two weeks. One includes my 1960 Topps Rival All Stars, which is the first of the three Mantle cards I've gotten for the set. They both had a couple of days of dwell time at the OKC sort facility (which under normal circumstances turns packages around in a matter of hours.) They left there yesterday afternoon, so I figured that I'd get them Monday.

I checked today to see if they had been recieved at my local post office and they are showing as out for delivery. On a Sunday!

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Christmas card and gift certificate I left for my mail carrier the other day.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-20-2020, 09:17 AM
I mailed a small box to NJ to Texas on December 7. Still not in tracking system. Maddening.

Lesson learned. Don't mail any cards to anyone for any reason in December...

...during a pandemic, after the postmaster tried to dismantle the system

glynparson
12-20-2020, 09:21 AM
You could have just stopped at frustrated with USPS. Carriers are mostly still good people but the higher ups are suspect.

Orioles1954
12-20-2020, 09:29 AM
I’m getting 1-2 pieces of junk Mail. In other years we average 50-60 Christmas cards a year. In other news, last week I got a Christmas card returned to me I sent back in 2004! How is your Mail inflow?

todeen
12-20-2020, 11:38 AM
Paid for auction items Nov 17. Package has gone from NJ to Del to PA to CT to NH to MA and now appears to be heading back out of state.

Fed ex is still getting it doneFedEx is backed up too!

Bought an item from the Cincinnati Reds on Dec 4. On Dec 6, the Reds notified me they delivered item to FedEx pick up location. Gave me tracking. On Dec 16, Fedex finally marked the package as accepted. On Dec 17, item was scanned into facility in Illinois. It was 10 days for FedEx to pick up.

I lost a sale on ebay b/c of shipping. They asked if I could guarantee delivery by Dec 24. I said absolutely not, shipping was out of my hands. So, no sale. I guess that's better than a bad review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

todeen
12-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Also, I think we should all be praying our secret santa gifts get delivered!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

carlsonjok
12-20-2020, 01:45 PM
Here is a surprise. I've been waiting on a couple of card deliveries for about two weeks. One includes my 1960 Topps Rival All Stars, which is the first of the three Mantle cards I've gotten for the set. They both had a couple of days of dwell time at the OKC sort facility (which under normal circumstances turns packages around in a matter of hours.) They left there yesterday afternoon, so I figured that I'd get them Monday.

I checked today to see if they had been recieved at my local post office and they are showing as out for delivery. On a Sunday!

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Christmas card and gift certificate I left for my mail carrier the other day.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I was out clearing ice storm debris out of my east pasture when I saw the mail carrier stop at my box. I finished the tree I was working on and went to box about a half hour later and it was empty. Since they are probably delivering packages today, I have to assume someone is following the carrier around and stealing packages.

And the cherry on the sundae? The report mail theft link on the USPIS website doesn't work.

Johnny630
12-20-2020, 04:40 PM
Well, it was fun while it lasted. I was out clearing ice storm debris out of my east pasture when I saw the mail carrier stop at my box. I finished the tree I was working on and went to box about a half hour later and it was empty. Since they are probably delivering packages today, I have to assume someone is following the carrier around and stealing packages.

And the cherry on the sundae? The report mail theft link on the USPIS website doesn't work.

That’s Terrible ! I pray for you and the seller to be taken care of.

Do yourself the service and get a Post Office Box if you’re getting expensive items. It’s worth the piece of mind.

carlsonjok
12-20-2020, 05:02 PM
That’s Terrible ! I pray for you and the seller to be taken care of.

Do yourself the service and get a Post Office Box if you’re getting expensive items. It’s worth the piece of mind.
One package was from Greg Morris and the other was from a group break at Burl's Sports. I've got about $100 into the combination. They both held up their end of the transactions, so I'll eat the loss.

I live in a semi-rural area and this is the first time I've had mail stolen in 18 years. I have had good fortune and will get over my pique eventually.

jchcollins
12-21-2020, 08:54 AM
The USPS has had underlying issues for decades, but unfortunately we have seen things get noticeably worse this year with changes in policies, a political crony postmaster who was appointed only because of his donor status, and of course the pandemic, snowstorms, and usual holiday bottlenecks.

What makes it worse is individual regions and PO's have their own coping mechanisms. I've seen more than a few PO's simply quit scanning anything outgoing, ostensibly in an effort to save time. The result is some packages go dark and look like they were not even processed past printing the shipping label. Then 2 weeks later, they re-appear and are marked Out For Delivery. Frustrating would be an understatement.

buymycards
12-21-2020, 09:06 AM
I think it is time to privatize the USPS. Then, it will be able to be as efficient and cost effective as private companies, such as PSA, COMC, Beckett, and SGC.

:)

Mark
12-21-2020, 09:11 AM
I think it is time to privatize the USPS. Then, it will be able to be as efficient and cost effective as private companies, such as PSA, COMC, Beckett, and SGC.

:)

In the Constitution, one of the few, explicit duties of the Federal Government is to establish and maintain a postal service. It would take an amendment to change that. An alternative is to set aside trying to make the postal service into a revenue neutral agency and to focus on getting it to do the job as well as possible.

bobbyw8469
12-21-2020, 09:23 AM
I bought an item on eBay in November. The seller was located in Ky and for 3 weeks tracking showed accepted.
I opened a case two days ago. :mad:

Your item should still show up. 3 weeks is not unusual now.

Snapolit1
12-21-2020, 09:48 AM
I have had very few problems with first class mail, while priority has been snail mail. Literally. Pay for better service and it’s been far less reliable. I can hardly imagine what certified must look like these days.

tonyo
12-21-2020, 09:50 AM
I've been selling a lot of my collection lately and can totally identify with almost everything mentioned in this thread.

USPS is annoying, And I personally can be very very patient with them , especially lately.

It's eBay that really chaps me because:

I now (last two months) have a "below standard" seller rating, which increases my final value fees by 50%.

the criteria that drops me?: 3 out of 947 sales in the last 12 months are "cases closed without seller resolution" eBay's max in that category is 0.3% .

their definition : "A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request"

I've sold a lot of cards at $2/free shipping, and send them in PWE. I've had probably 12 or 15 buyers write telling me "the card hasn't arrived". When that note comes to me, if it's inside 4 weeks from my ship date, I always respond with "first, you can rest assured you will receive the card or a full refund, then I explain the troubles USPS has been having, and ask for a little more patience, please allow at least 4 weeks for the card to surface."

I ultimately refunded almost all of those when the buyer wrote back saying, I think we've given it long enough, but 3 of those buyers opened cases with eBay without contacting me again, and eBay has initiated the refund within about 5 minutes each time.

I didn't even know this was costing me more fees until I went to make my regular FVF payment to eBay and saw that it was more than expected. I've appealed and tried multiple times to converse with a human who would at least acknowledge that I do everything I can possibly do on my end (other than just not sell those low dollar cards). But it always ends up with the CSR sticking with the company motto that the seller is always to blame.

I could continue to b*tch about eBay...... it's all more of the same song and dance that we all know and have read. I know it's a risk I take sending cards without tracking... I get that.

0.3% ??? really?

I'm anal about dropping cards off at the post office within 24 hours of receiving payment, and I've never hesitated to refund any buyer that states they didn't receive a card mailed without tracking and want a refund.

Ultimately I'll probably keep listing on eBay as long as I still want to reduce my collection, just need to continue to adjust my attitude and expectations regarding the faceless eBay monster

To bring this back onto topic, yes when I drop any package or envelope off at USPS, I cross my fingers that it arrives.

jchcollins
12-21-2020, 09:51 AM
I have had very few with first class mail, while priority has been snail mail. Literally. Pay for better service and it’s been far less reliable. I can hardly imagine what certified must look like these days.

Agreed. I shipped 2 Priority packages last week for $16 something total and now they are both delayed and not updating. Total waste of money.

Exhibitman
12-21-2020, 10:26 AM
I am more or less hibernating my eBay store until after the new year. I've let all my auctions run out w/o relisting. After the first there should be less pressure on the mail and eBay is doing that $1 USPS w/tracking shipping for cheap cards, which will be perfect for much of my stuff. No need to take the ratings hits from the current USPS struggles.

Mail theft is becoming a real problem. I guess crooks are wising up to the fact that lots of valuables are being shipped and that most mailboxes are easily opened, if they are even locked at all. I lost a 1967 Topps Bobby Orr to a mail theft (most of the boxes on our block were hit, repeatedly) and installed a security box that cannot be jimmied short of using a power tool or wrecking bar. I'd suggest anyone who wants better security do the same. These thefts are opportunistic, quick crimes by people who do not spend a lot of time and don't want to draw attention. If that doesn't work my next step is a scorpion in the box--that oughta be a nice surprise for a thief who sticks his slimy mitts in there. Or just rent a PO box at the shipping center I use for work. Perhaps combined with the scorpion.

buymycards
12-21-2020, 10:43 AM
In the Constitution, one of the few, explicit duties of the Federal Government is to establish and maintain a postal service. It would take an amendment to change that. An alternative is to set aside trying to make the postal service into a revenue neutral agency and to focus on getting it to do the job as well as possible.

Mark, my post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. As a 30+ year Postal USPS employee, with nearly 20 years as a Postmaster, I am well aware of that.

Rick

Snapolit1
12-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Rick - the story I am hearing is that the last straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, was Amazon and other mega online sellers dumping massive amounts of packages on USPS, more than they can humanly handle, because UPS and Amazon's own delivery service are beyond the breaking point in the age of pandemic. Have you heard this? I know USPS handles some stuff for Amazon, but the story is they have contracted now to take on some ridiculous load that they cant deal with. Hence, the system has come to a near screeching halt. Sounds possible to me but could be untrue.

Mark, my post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. As a 30+ year Postal USPS employee, with nearly 20 years as a Postmaster, I am well aware of that.

Rick

jchcollins
12-21-2020, 11:57 AM
Mail theft is becoming a real problem.

Yep. I had a '84 Fleer Update Puckett I think in a PSA 8 slab get marked "Delivered" at my office last year, and when I went to pick it up 5 minutes later they had nothing. So either the carrier pulled off a disappearing act, or my company's mailroom employees did. eBay paid for the card under their policy, but made me file a police report. Not how I was expecting that particular transaction to end...:eek:

Needless to say, I no longer have cards sent to my office.

RL
12-21-2020, 12:02 PM
One package was from Greg Morris and the other was from a group break at Burl's Sports. I've got about $100 into the combination. They both held up their end of the transactions, so I'll eat the loss.

I live in a semi-rural area and this is the first time I've had mail stolen in 18 years. I have had good fortune and will get over my pique eventually.

you should reach out to the sellers, they may have had insurance on the packages. not sure if insurance will pay on stolen items.

carlsonjok
12-21-2020, 12:35 PM

Rick

I, for one, thank you for your service. I submitted a mail theft report yesterday afternoon and had an email from our local postmaster by 8:45 this morning and a follow-up call at 10:15.

In all my years, I've had two mail issues: yesterday's theft and then time that a rare Nabisco card was delivered to Alameda St (I live on Alameda Drive) and that was solved when it was re-delivered a few days later.

bobw
12-21-2020, 01:17 PM
Rick - the story I am hearing is that the last straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, was Amazon and other mega online sellers dumping massive amounts of packages on USPS, more than they can humanly handle, because UPS and Amazon's own delivery service are beyond the breaking point in the age of pandemic. Have you heard this? I know USPS handles some stuff for Amazon, but the story is they have contracted now to take on some ridiculous load that they cant deal with. Hence, the system has come to a near screeching halt. Sounds possible to me but could be untrue.

Retired after 40 years with USPS but still follow what is going on via employee message boards and Facebook groups.....

Since the pandemic started, it has been Christmas volume all summer long with the online shopping because of people staying home....now adding on the REAL Christmas rush, the distribution centers are totally buried under. Tractor trailers are waiting hours to be unloaded in the Midwest with no place to put the mail after it's been unloaded. After the last few years of delivery problems because of volume, UPS and FedEX is limiting the amount of parcels it is accepting from the big retailers....guess where they are going, USPS.

Employees are working 12 hour days or more , 7 days a week. Over 14,000 employees have Covid or are quarantining....wherever there is a Covid hotspot, it's affecting USPS employees too.

jchcollins
12-21-2020, 01:50 PM
you should reach out to the sellers, they may have had insurance on the packages. not sure if insurance will pay on stolen items.

If the transaction was done via PayPal, I'd definitely check. Much like eBay, some of the language there is around what happens "if the item is never received." That I would think could cover a wide range of things.

jchcollins
12-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Retired after 40 years with USPS but still follow what is going on via employee message boards and Facebook groups.....

Since the pandemic started, it has been Christmas volume all summer long with the online shopping because of people staying home....now adding on the REAL Christmas rush, the distribution centers are totally buried under. Tractor trailers are waiting hours to be unloaded in the Midwest with no place to put the mail after it's been unloaded. After the last few years of delivery problems because of volume, UPS and FedEX is limiting the amount of parcels it is accepting from the big retailers....guess where they are going, USPS.

Employees are working 12 hour days or more , 7 days a week. Over 14,000 employees have Covid or are quarantining....wherever there is a Covid hotspot, it's affecting USPS employees too.

Sad story. Enough to make us consider our patience and empathy for sure. I hope that the new administration can make some changes which might really help the PO instead of just paying lip service to the problems.

bobbyw8469
12-21-2020, 02:20 PM
Sad story. Enough to make us consider our patience and empathy for sure. I hope that the new administration can make some changes which might really help the PO instead of just paying lip service to the problems.

I don't have high hopes at all.

Orioles1954
12-21-2020, 04:56 PM
I have 40 eBay packages that were picked up two weeks ago. Absolutely zero movement! Now I have probable claims. I hope eBay will take this into consideration!

cubman1941
12-21-2020, 06:15 PM
I had an eBay buy with guaranteed delivery of Dec 9. Dec 9 came and went. I checked tracking. I live in Kingsport TN 20 miles from Johnson City and 90 miles from Knoxville. Two Interstates pass me. Tracking showed the package left Kentucky on Dec 7, arrived in Knoxville Dec 8 went to Johnson City Dec 9 scanned once then scanned again 4 minutes later. Dec 10 it was scanned again in Knoxville. About 5 minutes later it was scanned again in Knoxville. Dec 12 it was scanned back in Johnson City. I received it Dec 14. Meanwhile I sent a note to the seller (whom I have dealt with before) saying I was going to leave positive feed back as this wasn't his fault and told him if he paid for guaranteed delivery maybe he could get a refund. His reply was that he couldn't and he had been getting less than positive feedback on delivery. He was very frustrated and said he was stopping all selling until Dec 28th in hope that by then things will have settled down. Incidentally I let him all 5's including arriving on time.
My son is currently a postmaster in Wisconsin and he has been telling me of the problems he has been having due to Covid sickness and mail volume. He also mentioned the load Amazon has put on his P.O. regarding deliveries. I asked him if he could get help from other P.O.'s but they are all in the same boat. Not enough healthy people available to keep things moving smoothly.

Snapolit1
12-21-2020, 07:37 PM
My small priority mail box scanned in NJ on Dec 7 apparently made it to Texas today. Not delivered yet, but in the state. Maybe for shits and giggles they can now route in through Oklahoma for no good reason.

benge610
12-21-2020, 07:59 PM
I have to admit, I was sweating bullets; given that I already had a card sliced from a USPS bubble mailer; The E98 Tenney BL I was sweating over (for good reason), shipped from CA on 11/16; received at CHI on 11/18. I live in the Chicago suburbs; proceeded to watch via notifications; this thing bouncing all around the area distribution centers and back again to CHI; then stopped receiving notifications; requested said notifications two more times, after they stopped on their own. Was about to let the eBay seller know, through no fault of their own, it may be lost in the system; wondering if their $8.18 shipping charge included insurance, at least; I'm not totally out. All of a sudden, 12/16; it lands in my local distr, center; 12/17 "out for delivery"! Phew! Sweating stopped.
Ben

Kingcobb
12-21-2020, 08:05 PM
I have a package from LOTG auction that's been at the Columbus, Ohio Distribution Center since December 3rd. They are saying they are short staffed due to Covid nothing they can do.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-22-2020, 09:30 AM
I've been selling a lot of my collection lately and can totally identify with almost everything mentioned in this thread.

USPS is annoying, And I personally can be very very patient with them , especially lately.

It's eBay that really chaps me because:

I now (last two months) have a "below standard" seller rating, which increases my final value fees by 50%.

the criteria that drops me?: 3 out of 947 sales in the last 12 months are "cases closed without seller resolution" eBay's max in that category is 0.3% .

their definition : "A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request"

I've sold a lot of cards at $2/free shipping, and send them in PWE. I've had probably 12 or 15 buyers write telling me "the card hasn't arrived". When that note comes to me, if it's inside 4 weeks from my ship date, I always respond with "first, you can rest assured you will receive the card or a full refund, then I explain the troubles USPS has been having, and ask for a little more patience, please allow at least 4 weeks for the card to surface."

I ultimately refunded almost all of those when the buyer wrote back saying, I think we've given it long enough, but 3 of those buyers opened cases with eBay without contacting me again, and eBay has initiated the refund within about 5 minutes each time.

I didn't even know this was costing me more fees until I went to make my regular FVF payment to eBay and saw that it was more than expected. I've appealed and tried multiple times to converse with a human who would at least acknowledge that I do everything I can possibly do on my end (other than just not sell those low dollar cards). But it always ends up with the CSR sticking with the company motto that the seller is always to blame.

I could continue to b*tch about eBay...... it's all more of the same song and dance that we all know and have read. I know it's a risk I take sending cards without tracking... I get that.

0.3% ??? really?

I'm anal about dropping cards off at the post office within 24 hours of receiving payment, and I've never hesitated to refund any buyer that states they didn't receive a card mailed without tracking and want a refund.

Ultimately I'll probably keep listing on eBay as long as I still want to reduce my collection, just need to continue to adjust my attitude and expectations regarding the faceless eBay monster

To bring this back onto topic, yes when I drop any package or envelope off at USPS, I cross my fingers that it arrives.

Hey Tony, I have an easy solution for you! :D

Leon
12-22-2020, 09:42 AM
The North Texas Coppell USPS regional shipping center is literally a black hole right now. It's way worse than the horrible mess it usually is in, which is saying something. I honestly think there should be some sort of investigation of the management there. Total and pure incompetence, if not criminal, from what it looks like to me. There are several things there that have been shipped to me lately, just sitting. One is an E253 Cobby dang

PS...Anything from anywhere, coming through there, is likely sitting right now....

MULLINS5
12-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Richmond, VA distribution center had a COVID outbreak about a couple weeks ago and post offices were instructed to not send any mail there. My local post office had pallets of mail sit in a truck during this time, waiting for permission to send. I would assume there are/were similar instances throughout the country.

Seven
12-23-2020, 06:51 AM
I have a couple of Christmas gifts stuck in "In Transit" Hell. One was due to arrive the 19th the other the 22nd. I really hope that things turn around after the holidays. We need to optimize the Postal Service going forward, and hire more people.

It's frustrating, but it's out of our hands, unfortunately.

scooter729
12-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Anyone else dealing with issues with the USPS Priority Express service?

I had a Priority Express package mailed to me from PA coming to MA on Monday, guaranteed to be here by Tuesday afternoon. It's now Wednesday morning, and the last scan was Monday afternoon for arrival at a PA distribution center.

I thought this service was more of a sure thing, because of the money-back guarantee of an on-time 1-2 day delivery (in my case, it was a 1 day guarantee). But even this seems like an issue right now. Ugh.

Seven
12-23-2020, 07:59 AM

I had a Priority Express package mailed to me from PA coming to MA on Monday, guaranteed to be here by Tuesday afternoon. It's now Wednesday morning, and the last scan was Monday afternoon for arrival at a PA distribution center.

I thought this service was more of a sure thing, because of the money-back guarantee of an on-time 1-2 day delivery (in my case, it was a 1 day guarantee). But even this seems like an issue right now. Ugh.

I'm convinced that the delivery times do not matter at this point, the USPS is so bogged down, they can't accurately determine when things are going to arrive nor can they honor those guarantees.

Orioles1954
12-23-2020, 08:14 AM
My 40 ebay packages that I dropped off on 12/12 near my home in Columbia, Maryland were just posted today from....Opa Locka, Florida - 1,073 miles away!

nat
12-23-2020, 08:44 AM
I've got a card that was sent Dec. 12th and due to be delivered on the 16th. The last status update: Dec 16 12:00AM In transit, arriving late.

Didn't even say where it is.

Natswin2019
12-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Richmond, VA distribution center had a COVID outbreak about a couple weeks ago and post offices were instructed to not send any mail there. My local post office had pallets of mail sit in a truck during this time, waiting for permission to send. I would assume there are/were similar instances throughout the country.

That's interesting because I also live in rva and until last week was having 0 problems getting packages on time. I've noticed no slow downs getting mail once it gets to rva, just slow downs coming from other places.

Shoeless Moe
12-23-2020, 10:46 AM
I've gone to 2 different Post Offices at various times the past week and the line is always out the door or near out the door. There is usually just one maybe 2 workers. I've never seen it like that before.

Frank A
12-23-2020, 11:21 AM
Hey Jim. I live in Greeneville, Tn. Shipped a package 9 days ago. Tracking says it's still in Knoxville, 1.5 hours away. Makes no sense. Frank

jchcollins
12-23-2020, 11:26 AM

Yes. I paid $16+ to ship two packages Priority early last week - and now they are both officially "late" and floating somewhere in the ether. As many others will say it "is what it is" but yes super frustrating.

HerbieMoran
12-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Just received a package today (in Illinois) that was shipped from Minnesota on Monday! Meanwhile, still waiting on a package from Louisiana sent November 19th. Last known location: Seattle. Fun times.

scooter729
12-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Yes. I paid $16+ to ship two packages Priority early last week - and now they are both officially "late" and floating somewhere in the ether. As many others will say it "is what it is" but yes super frustrating.

Indeed frustrating. Priority Express is guaranteed Overnight to most parts of the country (2 days to some parts). Once the package shows up, maybe I'll explore the $26 back on the shipping charge for not hitting the guarantee. But getting the package in hand is the top priority....

JimStinson
12-23-2020, 01:16 PM

Am having the same problems for all the same reasons, 2 day priority still not delivered after three weeks ...its a different World

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Jim-Stinson-Sports-112095200701044

chas
12-23-2020, 01:22 PM
All this on top of the regular mail the PO has to process.

effe
12-23-2020, 01:54 PM
My REA catalog was delivered on 12/8, auction closed 12/6

cubman1941
12-23-2020, 02:09 PM
Hey Jim. I live in Greeneville, Tn. Shipped a package 9 days ago. Tracking says it's still in Knoxville, 1.5 hours away. Makes no sense. Frank

Frank - agree especially since I just got an auction item from Clean Sweep that was mailed on Dec 18 from NY. There just is no rhyme or reason.

Jim

AGuinness
12-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Does frustrated with USPS signature confirmation also count? Fortunately, this story ends well:
Reached out to a member here about a card for sale, and he was very willing to work on a deal. Done in no time, card shipped promptly and with signature confirmation. I followed the tracking and saw it was schedule to arrive (on time) Tuesday evening. But when the carrier arrived at my house, no delivery. A single magazine and he's off, I couldn't even catch him.
I was perplexed and more than a little annoyed. Shortly after, I check the status and it reads "Delivered" and signed by a "S Wanson." And just as I was about to really get upset, I hear another noise out on the porch. There, along with another magazine, was the package. Card here safe and sound.
I know of no "S Wanson" in the neighborhood, so I'm wondering if the carrier signed for it himself after forgetting to deliver it. If so, that's pretty awful (although I know from other threads that this happens). If not, still pretty awful.
Shout out to sox1902wschamp for being a great seller - and the best packaging I think I've seen.
And in keeping with Leon's tradition that every thread needs a card, here's the new addition to my collection:

notfast
12-23-2020, 06:51 PM

Fairly normal.

Depends on when it was dropped off Monday. I dropped one at 445pm in MD that made it to Seattle by noon Wednesday.

I’ve had many issues with standard first class and priority but not with express.

Wimberleycardcollector
12-23-2020, 08:55 PM
I sell items on Ebay every week and haven’t had any issues with USPS priority mail. Some buyers complain and always want cheaper shipping but I’ve had great luck for many years and all this year with two day priority. Maybe one or two show up a day later but so far so good. I also like the 50.00 insurance included.

jayshum
12-24-2020, 07:38 AM
I sell items on Ebay every week and haven’t had any issues with USPS priority mail. Some buyers complain and always want cheaper shipping but I’ve had great luck for many years and all this year with two day priority. Maybe one or two show up a day later but so far so good. I also like the 50.00 insurance included.

You should consider yourself very lucky then. I have shipped several things priority in the last few weeks. A couple have made it only a day or two late, but others have taken 7-9 days just to make it from my local post office to the next distribution center in NJ (so in the same state they were shipped from) before sitting there for a while. One package took 13 days to get delivered from NJ to OH. For me, paying for priority hasn't been worth it since it hasn't seemed to help compared to just first class with tracking.

From what I have read online, the USPS is overwhelmed with packages as well as with large numbers of employees out sick so they just can't keep up with the volume. I'm hoping things will improve post holidays as less new packages are being added to the system.

skil55voy
12-24-2020, 12:11 PM
I have an order from Games and Cards that was supposed to be delivered on the 15th. It hasn't moved from Bell Gardens CA. I have dealt with the seller before and consider them excellent in service and taking care of any problems. Due to the troubles the post office is having I am going to wait and if in a month it doesn't show up, then I may do something.

I have the utmost respect for my postal carrier and the local offices. It galls me that the government has let this institution be unprepared for what has happened to them. Their lack of consideration and planning "AT THE TOP" has caused them to be overwhelmed and made them look incompetent.

Mike D.
12-31-2020, 11:41 AM
The cards I ordered that shipped on 11/29 arrived today.

Oddly enough, some cards I ordered on 12/29 (and shipped 12/30) ALSO arrived today.

Weird!

ejharrington
12-31-2020, 12:02 PM
Yes! It's the worst I've ever seen.

jayshum
12-31-2020, 12:05 PM
The cards I ordered that shipped on 11/29 arrived today.

Oddly enough, some cards I ordered on 12/29 (and shipped 12/30) ALSO arrived today.

Weird!

Earlier this month, I shipped 2 packages to the same person a week apart. The second one got delivered already while the first one is still in limbo somewhere.

jad22
12-31-2020, 12:57 PM
12/16 Priority Mail package from MA to CT. Last information I saw was the package was in Atlanta Georgia on 12/22.

Bcwcardz
12-31-2020, 01:32 PM

Thank you for clarifying. People still don’t get it. There’s a pandemic that’s causing a perfect storm. Way too many packages all year long, a federal election by mail and workers out due to COVID or exposure. Some of these distribution centers might be closed as far as we know. You get too many cases and they close like Amazon in NJ did not long ago. But people expect business as usual. It’s not going to be. It sucks having to go out and work right now and constantly expose yourself and your family. I feel these USPS workers. Not all of us can work from home and sit in our jammies all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike D.
12-31-2020, 03:40 PM
But I ordered new jammies two weeks ago and they’re not HERE yet! :eek:

I don’t think anyone is blaming the line level folks at the USPS...we’re just commiserating.

Orioles1954
01-05-2021, 08:10 PM
100 eBay packages sent on December 10th.
76 delivered with positive feedback.
24 non delivered with little movement.
0 the amount of packages sent on December 10th delivered today.

Claims are mounting and despite my pleas to remain patient, several hundred in refunds will probably be going out.

ASF123
01-05-2021, 09:44 PM
But I ordered new jammies two weeks ago and they’re not HERE yet! :eek:

I don’t think anyone is blaming the line level folks at the USPS...we’re just commiserating.
I do feel for them, but someone on the line level is falsely scanning my packages as having been delivered when I haven’t gotten any mail whatsoever this week. I got about 10 “delivered” alerts last night and another 4 tonight, but zero actual packages. This has happened multiple times over the past couple months. So far everything has eventually shown up, but still. Someone is gaming the tracking system to make their stats look better, and that’s not ok. Customers can’t be expected to blindly trust that they will eventually arrive.

Pat R
01-06-2021, 07:18 AM
100 eBay packages sent on December 10th.
76 delivered with positive feedback.
24 non delivered with little movement.
0 the amount of packages sent on December 10th delivered today.

Claims are mounting and despite my pleas to remain patient, several hundred in refunds will probably be going out.

I don't understand why some buyers ignore the fact or don't understand it's
not the sellers fault and they can't be a little patient.

I purchased this card on December 9th with an expected delivery of Dec. 14. The other day I sent the seller a regular ebay message without filing a claim just to let him know I didn't receive it yet in case it doesn't show up. I told him I was in no hurry but just wanted to let him know I haven't received it yet.

He told me he has been having packages arrive 30-35 days out and it was something with the Baltimore PO that is messing everything up.

OldSchoolBaseball
01-06-2021, 08:33 AM
This really does suck for the sellers BUT if you haven’t received by 30 day you still need to file “not received” through eBay or your out.

I have had 2 orders, one from Illinois to Ohio and one from Indiana to Ohio go missing.
I filed and got my money back right away but sent notes to sellers that if it shows up I would pay them. That’s November 7 and December 7 shipments that never scanned beyond initial clerk scan. Simply vanished.

Pat R
01-06-2021, 08:54 AM
This really does suck for the sellers BUT if you haven’t received by 30 day you still need to file “not received” through eBay or your out.

I have had 2 orders, one from Illinois to Ohio and one from Indiana to Ohio go missing.
I filed and got my money back right away but sent notes to sellers that if it shows up I would pay them. That’s November 7 and December 7 shipments that never scanned beyond initial clerk scan. Simply vanished.

It's 30 days from the latest estimated delivery date so I'm not sure how that works when the latest estimated date is "arriving late".

I also think everything right now would fall under the extended timeline policy.

x2drich2000
01-06-2021, 09:22 AM
Sigh, while it definitely hasn't been as bad as some cases yet, I have one Ebay package that was sent on Dec 14 that still hasn't arrived. The kicker, the recipient lives about 14 miles away so I literally could have ran, not drove, the card to them. At least the recipient is a board member and has been a good sport about it. All I can do at this point is just laugh.

judsonhamlin
01-06-2021, 07:15 PM
That would be me. It is nuts that the card has gone all aroundNorth Jersey, including such tourist hotspots like Teterboro and Clifton, over the last three weeks (including the dreaded 'missent' scan), but it is, as I texted DJ, a card, not a kidney, so I can be patient. In 25 years, the USPS has only lost one card on me, so I like my odds.

Sigh, while it definitely hasn't been as bad as some cases yet, I have one Ebay package that was sent on Dec 14 that still hasn't arrived. The kicker, the recipient lives about 14 miles away so I literally could have ran, not drove, the card to them. At least the recipient is a board member and has been a good sport about it. All I can do at this point is just laugh.

chadeast
01-06-2021, 08:26 PM
Does frustrated with USPS signature confirmation also count? Fortunately, this story ends well:
Reached out to a member here about a card for sale, and he was very willing to work on a deal. Done in no time, card shipped promptly and with signature confirmation. I followed the tracking and saw it was schedule to arrive (on time) Tuesday evening. But when the carrier arrived at my house, no delivery. A single magazine and he's off, I couldn't even catch him.
I was perplexed and more than a little annoyed. Shortly after, I check the status and it reads "Delivered" and signed by a "S Wanson." And just as I was about to really get upset, I hear another noise out on the porch. There, along with another magazine, was the package. Card here safe and sound.
I know of no "S Wanson" in the neighborhood, so I'm wondering if the carrier signed for it himself after forgetting to deliver it. If so, that's pretty awful (although I know from other threads that this happens). If not, still pretty awful.
Shout out to sox1902wschamp for being a great seller - and the best packaging I think I've seen.
And in keeping with Leon's tradition that every thread needs a card, here's the new addition to my collection:

Similar story here. I made a purchase from a board member and it was sent Certified with signature confirmation. It arrived quickly, no complaints there, but I got an email from USPS telling me that it had been "Delivered, Left with Individual" a few minutes ago. Since I was right by the front door and heard nothing, I was quite concerned. I was lucky enough to catch the postal carrier outside before he left my street. He told me that his supervisor authorized him to sign for it himself and leave it in the mailbox (which is locked) due to COVID. Signature confirmation was pretty worthless in this case. I do wonder what he would have done if I didn't have a locked mailbox.

Casey2296
01-06-2021, 08:56 PM
It's all just a reflection of our greater society, there are thousands of USPS employees who take pride in their jobs and care about customer service, there's also thousands of USPS employees who don't give a shit about you, they just want to collect a paycheck and get those benefits, looking at you Chicago. You can blame bureaucracy, management, and lazy entitled shitheads for the problems with the USPS. The postal workers who care are tired of covering for the postal workers who don't.

That being said, y'all can take as long as you want to get me a baseball card. That sits firmly in first world problems for me.

steve B
01-07-2021, 10:46 AM
A bit of 2020 irony for all of you.

My wife ordered me a 2020 dumpster fire ornament well before Christmas.

Last we checked just before new years it hadn't shipped.

Which i many ways id Sooo 2020.

yanksfan09
01-08-2021, 02:17 PM
Figured I’d share my recent priority shipping/ tracking experience. Thankfully it had a good ending when the package was finally delivered to me today. I bought a couple cards that were shipped by the seller on December 12th via usps priority 2 day mail. It was accepted on the 12th in North Carolina then was scanned the very next day (13th) in Newark New Jersey. Looked like the package would be delivered next day and moving quickly. However the next day on the 14th it inexplicably said it was departing. North Carolina center again. Then heard nothing until December 18th when it said package was in transit and arriving late but will still be delivered.

Since then I’ve been checking tracking everyday hoping for any sort of update and nothing until last night on the 7th when it was scanned in NYC metro facility. Finally today after much stressing, as it was roughly 4K + value, it was delivered safely with box in good shape today. Cards were fine. Crisis averted but I’ve been stressing over this one for weeks , close to a month since the 2 day package shipped.

I share this not to bash the USPS or anything but just to give my experience for others who are likely in the same boat. I was really getting worried this was “lost” or stolen or damaged but it eventually came unharmed. Would have really sucked for me and the seller had these not turned up. I guess everyone needs to keep being patient and hopefully things will be back to near normal shortly.

rdwyer
01-08-2021, 02:33 PM
Could be worse. If the USPS was owned by PSA, they would have 60 day turnarounds.

judsonhamlin
01-08-2021, 03:56 PM
After a detour through Bethpage, NY (?) its back in New Jersey again at the Black Hole of Kearny. I have another card coming from Scranton via Illinois right now, so that's curious also. I can understand packages sitting in one place or another along a route due to manpower issues, but sending a card from northern Pennsylvania to Illlinois to come back east to New Jersey is really confounding.

That would be me. It is nuts that the card has gone all aroundNorth Jersey, including such tourist hotspots like Teterboro and Clifton, over the last three weeks (including the dreaded 'missent' scan), but it is, as I texted DJ, a card, not a kidney, so I can be patient. In 25 years, the USPS has only lost one card on me, so I like my odds.

tschock
01-08-2021, 04:00 PM
After a detour through Bethpage, NY (?) its back in New Jersey again at the Black Hole of Kearny. I have another card coming from Scranton via Illinois right now, so that's curious also. I can understand packages sitting in one place or another along a route due to manpower issues, but sending a card from northern Pennsylvania to Illlinois to come back east to New Jersey is really confounding.

They've gone, to look for Amerrrricaaaa. (sorry, the song was just on as I read this) :)

ramram
01-12-2021, 08:44 AM
Boy, you start wondering if USPS is just going to collapse at some point under it's own weight. I've got three packages coming, one from NJ, one from CA and one from LA. They are all 6-7 days in the system and none are yet to leave their originating location per tracking info.

Does anybody know how UPS and Fedex are holding up?

Rob M

Bobbycee
01-12-2021, 10:02 AM

Yeah! Go Jersey collectors! Seriously though: good luck & patience is still a virtue.

jchcollins
01-12-2021, 10:30 AM
Boy, you start wondering if USPS is just going to collapse at some point under it's own weight. I've got three packages coming, one from NJ, one from CA and one from LA. They are all 6-7 days in the system and none are yet to leave their originating location per tracking info.

Rob M

What's really insane is it's mostly First Class package mail and up that is affected. I had a card show up this morning from Kentucky to NC in a PWE in less than two days.

rootsearcher60
01-12-2021, 10:58 AM
I won a postcard on ebay from a seller in France. He shipped January 6th and I received it yesterday January 11.
Makes absolutely no sense.

Michael

Bcwcardz
01-12-2021, 11:17 AM

Rob M

I had a fed ex from Sacramento to LA take a week. It was in Los Angeles in 3 days and then circled the city for the next 3 until it finally got to me on the 7th. That’s about par for the course for them though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhillyFan1883
01-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Happy I am not the only one dealing with issues. Florida to PA priority package now at 7 days, and only one update that is was received at West Palm facility and now in transit to next facility for 4 days now....SMH..

Anyone have similar issue with Priority package also??

Aquarian Sports Cards
01-12-2021, 02:02 PM
Happy I am not the only one dealing with issues. Florida to PA priority package now at 7 days, and only one update that is was received at West Palm facility and now in transit to next facility for 4 days now....SMH..

Anyone have similar issue with Priority package also??

Please, that package is flying compared to a lot of the ones from our last auction.

skil55voy
01-12-2021, 02:29 PM
I have an order from Games and Cards that was supposed to be delivered on the 15th. It hasn't moved from Bell Gardens CA. I have dealt with the seller before and consider them excellent in service and taking care of any problems. Due to the troubles the post office is having I am going to wait and if in a month it doesn't show up, then I may do something.

I have the utmost respect for my postal carrier and the local offices. It galls me that the government has let this institution be unprepared for what has happened to them. Their lack of consideration and planning "AT THE TOP" has caused them to be overwhelmed and made them look incompetent.

My package arrived yesterday, It popped up on the radar on the 9th in Washington D.C. The went to Hyattsville MD. Then to Indianapolis and to me. I am glad I waited and it appears that they are catching up.

vwtdi
01-12-2021, 03:36 PM
Tracking History
January 11, 2021, 6:00 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
DISTRICT HEIGHTS, MD 20747
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in DISTRICT HEIGHTS, MD 20747 on January 11, 2021 at 6:00 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
January 11, 2021, 5:48 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785
January 11, 2021, 10:38 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
CHARLESTON WV PROCESSING CENTER
January 10, 2021, 7:04 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CHARLESTON WV PROCESSING CENTER
January 10, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility
January 8, 2021, 7:22 pm
WILMINGTON DE DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 8, 2021, 6:56 pm
WILMINGTON DE DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 5, 2021, 8:09 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 5, 2021, 10:00 am
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 2, 2021, 4:33 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
December 11, 2020, 5:49 pm
Departed Post Office
AMITYVILLE, NY 11701
December 11, 2020, 7:50 am
USPS in possession of item
AMITYVILLE, NY 11701

1880nonsports
01-12-2021, 03:55 PM
I have the same problem. From the day I shipped 20 sumptin packages - half arrived after 3/4 days. Other half are in the same black hole WPB station now a week later. I shipped everything the day I got paid - now I look like I took my time.... As an aside I shipped a package to Montreal last week - arrived in TWO days.....

jchcollins
01-13-2021, 06:33 AM
In large part due to the postal mess, one of my resolutions for 2021 was to quit selling if I absolutely don't need to. The situation has gotten somewhat better, but is still far from being fixed. I can handle some things that I buy taking some time, but it stresses me out to sell expensive cards and then watch them sit in black holes. I got very lucky last year, everything eventually showed up. Not sure how far pushing my luck was going to get me in '21.

BCauley
01-13-2021, 10:14 AM
My mother had mailed two boxes of Christmas gifts for our son, daughter, and dog on December 7th in CT. One of the two boxes arrived here in VA in Jan 4th.

My mother is not too savvy with stuff online so I had her forward me the shipping info/tracking number and submitted one of those package inquiry things this past Sunday and the 2nd box just arrived about a half hour ago.

Not sure if it was the inquiry that kickstarted it but I like to believe so.

ruth-gehrig
01-15-2021, 10:11 PM
Jan 12-14 an Ebay package of mine bounces around Lehigh Valley, PA being "processed through facility" 4 different times. 9 hrs after last scan in PA it arrives in San Diegeo CA! I live in Oklahoma

carlsonjok
01-16-2021, 07:03 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of the disappearing packages originate in or near, New York/New Jersey?

I had two packages get picked up on January 4, one in Maryland and one in Long Island. The package from MD was delivered on the 7th. The package from New York hit the Garden City Distribution Center the same day and has disappeared. I get that it is a densely populated area and NYC is the financial capital of the world, but I've seen issues dating back years, especially with the facility in Kearny, NJ.

jayshum
01-16-2021, 08:46 AM
Some excerpts from an article today on philly.com about delays in the Philadelphia area:

"Are you still waiting for packages from early December to arrive? You’re not alone, but be patient, postal workers warn, because it might be a while. In U.S. Postal Service facilities in Pennsylvania and across the country, hundreds of thousands of items sent in late November and early December are sitting at the bottom of massive piles of delayed mail that continue to grow with new packages daily. Employees inside the Philadelphia Processing and Delivery Center said they are prioritizing the packages coming in now, and doing their best to scrounge up items under the mass when time allows. But as the agency continues to experience record package volumes amid the pandemic, the pile keeps growing. “Honestly, it’s going to be at least six to eight weeks” until the backlog is cleared, said Laurence Love, a clerk craft director at the Philadelphia facility on Lindbergh Boulevard."

"More than 90% of packages were delivered on time in the Philadelphia metro area through November, according to ShipMatrix data. Then, Jindel said, it dropped dramatically in early December. By Christmas week, on-time delivery was below 50%. Jindel couldn’t give precise data to compare Philadelphia to other cities. “There were some days when the Post Office got 40 million packages, unlike any other business,” Jindel said. Now, as more packages continue to be sent, tracking shows “it’s last in, first out,” he said. For many people, the USPS tracking hasn’t shown an update on their item for weeks, creating an agonizing wait for not only presents, but also essential items like bills, medication, and important records."

"The unprecedented package volumes were coupled with poor preparation and a severe employee shortage due to rising COVID-19 cases, as nearly 19,000 workers were in quarantine at the end of 2020 after being infected or exposed to the virus, according to the American Postal Workers Union. The result was a backlog that veteran postal workers said was unlike anything they’ve ever seen. Facilities across the region were so full that trailers filled with mail were sitting in parking lots, and a miles-long caravan of trucks waited for hours outside the Southwest Philadelphia site because there was no room to unload parcels. Using USPS tracking, people watched their items arrive in Philadelphia, then never leave."

YazFenway08
01-16-2021, 09:00 AM
Thanks for that blurb on philly/Pennsylvania...I had not seem something that specific about the backlog. But now it makes sense. I have had a parcel stuck in the Warrendale PA facility since dec29 with zero movement.

Orioles1954
01-16-2021, 11:35 AM
Three parcels in Oxford, MS with no movement since 12/16. Will send refunds on Monday totaling around $125. Won’t kill me but still sucks.

Fballguy
01-17-2021, 09:53 AM
I've had two packages missing since November. One coming to me and one I sent. Finally after nearly two months of patience, the buyer of the second packaged asked for a refund. Totally understandable, but when I went to issue the refund within ebay I kept receiving an error message directing me to PayPal. I thought this was because too much time had elapsed (about 57 days at this point). PayPal did allow me to refund, but there was no mention of the final value fee refund, so I called ebay to see how that would work.

Long story short, I knew more about the refund process than the person in Manila I spoke with. He kept repeating my situation back to me incorrectly and putting me on hold to either ask someone or find an appropriate answer in his script. He eventually came back and told me he was going to close the case against me (with no refund given at this point) and in 48 hours I would be able to refund the money within eBay. Ummmmm...ok. I hung up with zero confidence this was going to work and it didn't but the case was indeed closed now. I ended up issuing the refund from PayPal, but still no final value fee credit on my account.

And while on the subject of customer service, though the service ebay provided was woefully lacking, they are light years more helpful than those at the USPS. This is how opening a case with the USPS works. You open the case and request a call back. A rep from the DESTINATION post office calls you and says "We have no idea where your package is. Per tracking it never made it to us". Click.

Wow...Thanks I never thought to check the tracking. So amazing. And some want to raise the minimum wage?

71buc
01-18-2021, 07:00 PM
I sold a card on 12/27 and shipped it on 12/28. It was out for delivery on 12/31. Buyer filed a claim on 12/08. I asked the buyer to be patient due to usps shipping issues. To his credit he did wait a week and was polite. Nonetheless eBay removed the funds from my account. I checked a moment ago and as you can see the card is still out for delivery. So I essentially paid USPS for the privilege of giving away my card.

jayshum
01-18-2021, 07:23 PM
I sold a card on 12/27 and shipped it on 12/28. It was out for delivery on 12/31. Buyer filed a claim on 12/08. I asked the buyer to be patient due to usps shipping issues. To his credit he did wait a week and was polite. Nonetheless eBay removed the funds from my account. I checked a moment ago and as you can see the card is still out for delivery. So I essentially paid USPS for the privilege of giving away my card.

I had something like this happen where the tracking said out for delivery for several days. I emailed the buyer who told me it had actually been delivered but apparently never scanned as such by the carrier. Unfortunately, there's no way for you to tell if that happened and the buyer is just being dishonest about not receiving it.

Directly
01-18-2021, 08:06 PM
Anyone been denied USPS Insurance Claims? I filed claim with USPS for missing/stolen contents. 1st appeal denied, This is of high concern for all of us if purchasing insurance is in vain--I guess its fortunate for me its only a 650.00 claim, and not 5,000--be aware USPS has some other serious issues at this time.

Bigdaddy
01-18-2021, 08:15 PM
My property taxes took 26 days to arrive at the county treasurer's office - a 40 minute drive from home. Needless to say, I had not factored that into the date I sent them off.

Orioles1954
01-18-2021, 09:08 PM
Anyone been denied USPS Insurance Claims? I filed claim with USPS for missing/stolen contents. 1st appeal denied, This is of high concern for all of us if purchasing insurance is in vain--I guess its fortunate for me its only a 650.00 claim, and not 5,000--be aware USPS has some other serious issues at this time.

I always buy insurance with Ebay's private insurance. It saved my butt for $1,200+ once and was easy to work with.

obiwan1129
01-18-2021, 09:12 PM
I had a pocket schedule I ordered get lost. The seller was very gracious and refunded me. I felt bad as it was an old schedule, it ain't coming back.

I've been selling some comics to fund my baseball card buying. Those have been going out Priority Mail which seems to be more reliable. The cost is significantly more...but now I am worried about some of the cards I've bought that haven't come in yet. I was hoping things would settle down a bit this month post Christmas...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

IndyDave
01-19-2021, 10:00 AM
I received a package this morning that my cousin mailed in Cleveland on December 17 - two day priority. So 33 days to go about 300 miles.

The tracking show that the package took a detour to Grand Rapids on its way to Indy - after be "in transit" for nearly four weeks.

I think that's the list of the holiday packages I sent or was waiting to receive. I still do wonder if I'm going to get any more Christmas cards.

D. Bergin
01-19-2021, 10:31 AM
I finally got a card in a couple days ago from Florida (I'm in CT), that was sent out to me on December 12th or so, according to tracking.

I didn't even bother contacting the seller, since I've had a bunch of my own packages I sent out seemingly taking weeks to get where they're going. So far my buyers have been patient, but I understand you can only wait so long.

:(

I've also taken several Postal Adjustment hits in the last couple months. A couple were for Priority Regional Rate Boxes I sent out that were pulled, and reclassified as non-regional rate boxes (I know damn well I sent them out in regional rate boxes)............and a couple were really big hits where they seemingly found a few extra inches on some bigger poster boxes I sent out, and nailed me with balloon charges (I'm always very careful with these). We're talking $20-$30 hits here.

Also, when I scroll down my Stamps.com history, There's an unusual number of "Out For Delivery" and then "No Delivery Scans" listed right after, going back a few months. I'm basically at the mercy of my buyers being honest with me in many cases.

D. Bergin
01-22-2021, 11:18 AM
I just had a buyer receive a package yesterday (January 21st) that I shipped out 1st Class Mail on December 9th, from CT to VA.

Package was "in transit" from the Springfield, MA hub to the Dulles, VA hub for almost 40 days without any updates. Luckily the buyer was very patient and I held their hand through the process after they contacted me.

Coincidentally, it didn't start moving until right after the buyer contacted me and I put in both a tracking update request for both myself and the buyer, and followed that up with a "Search for Lost Package" request.

ramram
01-22-2021, 12:46 PM
I understand that the large increase in packages as well as Covid are creating havoc with USPS but what doesn't make sense is the packages moving all over the country in an illogical path. That points to a much greater problem.

Rob M

jchcollins
01-22-2021, 01:04 PM
What's concerning to me is that things have gotten somewhat better since the Christmas rush, but there are clearly still problems. We are closing in on February. Where does it end?

LJACards
01-23-2021, 12:44 AM
Sold a card on ebay that took 28 days to go from missouri to ohio

i bought an item from indiana and the seller shipped with 2-day priority shipping. The item took almost 3 weeks to get to me after being stuck indianapolis for 15 days. The seller put an intercept on the item because it seemed to be lost and they refunded me. a week later it randomly it shows up at my door..so i had to refund the refund.

USPS is a complete joke and needs major rehaul. I am sure there are other companies who would love a shot at delivering on time.

Mike D.
01-23-2021, 06:22 AM
USPS is a complete joke and needs major rehaul. I am sure there are other companies who would love a shot at delivering on time.

I’m not sure many companies would be lining up for the USPS gig. Unlike Fed Ex or UPS, who could just reject packages when they got overwhelmed (as they did this year, further flooding USPS), USPS has to take everything. Then they deliver to every address in the country (no matter how remote) 6 days a week.

Yankees1964
01-23-2021, 06:49 AM
I’m not sure many companies would be lining up for the USPS gig. Unlike Fed Ex or UPS, who could just reject packages when they got overwhelmed (as they did this year, further flooding USPS), USPS has to take everything. Then they deliver to every address in the country (no matter how remote) 6 days a week.

Exactly. Not to mention it would cost multiples more than it does now. Of course leaving all the machines in place that we pulled and scrapped by the new PMG would have made the huge COVID increase easier for them to handle too.

Mike D.
01-23-2021, 07:02 AM
Isn’t USPS also not really allowed to make a profit? So, no “make a little extra and then reinvest” like a lot of businesses go.

Schlesinj
01-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Not totally related to baseball cards, but quick public service announcement that both credit card bills and payments are all going to be delayed, so pay attention to getting fees and late charges. The credit card companies are aware, of course, but you may need to make a phone call to get things waived.

sportsnut25
01-24-2021, 09:51 PM
To really rub some salt in the wounds, the tracking portion of the USPS website has been unavailable this evening.

Now I'll really be guessing if my package will come Monday or will be delayed since it hasn't been scanned in 47 hours.

jchcollins
01-25-2021, 10:37 AM
Today's package that finally arrived (a Seaver RC, I was sweating bullets...) was kind of the last straw for me and the USPS with anything shipped of value. It wasn't anything super horrible, but for Priority Mail Insured, $23 - the package was 3 days late, and got maybe half the tracking scans it should have from just outside of St. Louis to me in Winston-Salem, NC. Lately my regular, First Class packages have been both getting more scans en route, and arriving on the whole quicker than Priority Mail.

Clearly not the end of the world as I got the card and am happy, but I will gladly pay the same or more to do FedEx 2 day for cards I sell / buy over a certain price point from here on out. Peace of mind with the USPS just seems to be a thing of the past. I get no updates on shipping for 2 solid days AFTER this package is supposed to be here already, and then wake up this morning to more stories on NPR, etc. about how screwed up the Post Office still is, and to expect more delays. Whatever, I'm done. Yeah, yeah - I get there are legit reasons - but this also isn't rocket science, and has been a festering problem in many areas of the US even before the onset of COVID. Yes, 99% of my USPS stuff does get here eventually, but if I can pay comprable or even more elsewhere for a quicker turnaround and more reassurances, it's time for me to go that route.

UKCardGuy
01-25-2021, 12:05 PM
I'm curious, why doesn't everyone just switch to UPS or Fedex? A UPS ground package from Dallas to Florida with $200 insurance costs $13.10. It's not that much more than Priority Mail. UPS isn't perfect, but it seems much more reliable than USPS these days.

perezfan
01-25-2021, 02:26 PM
I'm curious, why doesn't everyone just switch to UPS or Fedex? A UPS ground package from Dallas to Florida with $200 insurance costs $13.10. It's not that much more than Priority Mail. UPS isn't perfect, but it seems much more reliable than USPS these days.

I've incurred far more damage over the years with UPS. And I'd rather be boiled in oil, than go through their futile claims process. USPS (even with all their current issues) is still the least expensive and best way to ship, IMHO.

jchcollins
01-25-2021, 02:40 PM

I'm totally with you, but I prefer FedEx. UPS once left an Angels Media Guide with Nolan Ryan on the cover out in the pouring rain to be ruined on my front stoupe. I've learned my lesson for good at this point with the USPS though. They may be better than nothing, but at least lately they aren't making the grade for what I require to ship anything high dollar.

carlsonjok
01-25-2021, 05:54 PM

I've never had an issue with USPS more significant than misdelivered items that show up a few days late. I have, however, had a bad experience with UPS.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MIYroWafTZE/VUAoZCDZi1I/AAAAAAAAFFM/8b7Oy9-N91E/s1600/envelope.JPG

This is what I found when I went to the UPS store to pick up a 1963 Fleer card I sent in to a Sandy Koufax signing a few years back. The card ended up being fine. And, I am aware that one cannot draw a trend line from one data point, but holy moly they abused that envelope.

bnorth
01-25-2021, 06:02 PM
I have a new one I have never seen before. Tracking has shown this for a week.
SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING
ORLANDO, FL 32824

tschock
01-25-2021, 06:28 PM

As some have already noted, and I can vouch as well. Over the years I've had a few packages from the USPS get damaged, but the packages I receive via UPS (with some regularity) look like the employees pretend the package is the copier from Office Space.

Orioles1954
01-25-2021, 06:41 PM
Really weird. I just sent out a batch on Saturday night. Half of them have already arrived at their destinations....some as far away as California! So strange.

sportsnut25
01-25-2021, 07:40 PM

I use UPS exclusively these days for things I mail out. Location by me never has more than one other customer at the counter where as post office always has a line taking at least 15-20 minutes to get through.

Unsure how much more it costs me for the most part, but today it cost me about $1.20 more at UPS than USPS would have charged me (according to online cost estimator).

Never had an issue with UPS, items always arrive when they say it will and in the same condition the package was mailed.

thecatspajamas
01-25-2021, 09:34 PM
I have a new one I have never seen before. Tracking has shown this for a week.
SHIPMENT RECEIVED ACCEPTANCE PENDING
ORLANDO, FL 32824

Possibly a result of the sender using a SCAN form whereby multiple packages are tied to a single bar code on a form generated by the shipper's postage software so that they can be dropped off and "received" at the post office counter with a single scan rather than waiting for them to be scanned individually?

Fballguy
01-26-2021, 07:58 AM
It definitely depends on what part of the country you're shipping to/from. I've had packages delivered in 3 days recently and then others that take two weeks to make it out of the shipping state. Pennsylvania seems to be a cluster**** right now.

The only thing I've shipped that ended up lost throughout this entire ordeal was going to Michigan, which coincidentally I also had a package coming to me from and it also never showed up.

jchcollins
01-26-2021, 08:15 AM
Pennsylvania seems to be a cluster**** right now.

So is St. Louis. I've had packages from CA come to me in NC quicker than those originating in the midwest.

Kutcher55
01-26-2021, 09:03 AM
I'm waiting on a package that has been sitting in Sioux Falls, South Dakota since January 12th!

Now granted it's just a 1971 Bobby Murcer PSA 6, but I would appreciate if someone in that office would kindly get that package moving toward the east coast.

jchcollins
01-26-2021, 09:50 AM
Now granted it's just a 1971 Bobby Murcer PSA 6, but I would appreciate if someone in that office would kindly get that package moving toward the east coast.

Shortly before Christmas, I had a '71 Dick Allen that didn't even get an acceptance scan for 10+ days before mysteriously showing up at a regional hub in New England after the seller printed the shipping label. By that point I was supposed to have had it for a week already. The rest of the journey down to me in NC was fairly uneventful.

mikemb
03-25-2021, 04:33 PM
Sorry to bring this topic up again.

Just about all the items I have ordered or sold have been delivered timely. I think the post office is doing a great job.

But I recently ordered a book of stamps on March 16 (coming to New Jersey).
Here is the tracking (read from the botttom up)

Tracking History

March 24, 2021, 8:52 pm
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
KANSAS CITY MO DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item departed our KANSAS CITY MO DISTRIBUTION CENTER origin facility on March 24, 2021 at 8:52 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

March 24, 2021, 7:14 am

March 23, 2021

March 20, 2021, 9:55 pm
KEARNY NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 18, 2021, 11:53 pm

March 18, 2021, 9:12 am

March 16, 2021, 7:52 pm

March 16, 2021, 3:44 pm

March 16, 2021, 3:14 pm

March 16, 2021, 12:17 pm

March 16, 2021, 11:02 am
Accepted at USPS Regional Origin Facility

Mike

sportsnut25
03-25-2021, 05:36 PM
Sorry to bring this topic up again.

Just about all the items I have ordered or sold have been delivered timely. I think the post office is doing a great job.

But I recently ordered a book of stamps on March 16 (coming to New Jersey).
Here is the tracking (read from the botttom up)

Tracking History

March 24, 2021, 8:52 pm
Your item departed our KANSAS CITY MO DISTRIBUTION CENTER origin facility on March 24, 2021 at 8:52 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

March 24, 2021, 7:14 am

March 23, 2021

March 20, 2021, 9:55 pm

March 18, 2021, 11:53 pm

March 18, 2021, 9:12 am

March 16, 2021, 7:52 pm

March 16, 2021, 3:44 pm

March 16, 2021, 3:14 pm

March 16, 2021, 12:17 pm

March 16, 2021, 11:02 am
Accepted at USPS Regional Origin Facility

Mike

That's both sad and hysterical at the same time!

bnorth
04-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Looked today and seen this on so figured I would share the silliness.

bobcatfunds
04-05-2021, 08:33 AM
I've had quite few items marked as "delivered", but not actually delivered until the next day.

(...at least I got them.)

Snapolit1
04-05-2021, 10:29 AM
I’ve prob sold 100 cards since the fall. Serious drama with 8 or 9 of them but every card eventually got to where it need to go. Had more issues with priority than first class.

sportsnut25
04-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Looked today and seen this on so figured I would share the silliness.

Have had that a few times myself recently.

One similar one for me was

USPS awaits item from sender
USPS gets item in Town A
USPS moved item to Town B
USPS awaits item from sender

:rolleyes:

Fballguy
04-08-2021, 10:47 PM
Here's a fun one. From Pennsylvania to Houston by way of Puerto Rico.

cannonballsun
04-09-2021, 02:18 AM

The exact same thing happened to me.

Oscar_Stanage
04-09-2021, 09:24 AM
Seems this is a pretty common issue, but its annoying when it happens to you!
I have received a few Canadian packages, but never experienced this. USPS says it still in customs. US customs says it means it is with USPS.. Either way, it has not moved in a month.

--------------
March 10, 2021, 7:08 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 7:08 am on March 10, 2021.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
04-09-2021, 09:34 AM
Seems this is a pretty common issue, but its annoying when it happens to you!
I have received a few Canadian packages, but never experienced this. USPS says it still in customs. US customs says it means it is with USPS.. Either way, it has not moved in a month.

--------------
March 10, 2021, 7:08 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 7:08 am on March 10, 2021.

The exact same thing happened to me, except going the other direction. An extremely valuable package, too. That Chicago International Sorting Center is so ineptly run. USPS blamed Canada customs, who had no record of the package ever making it across the border. This was in May of 2020. All is lost. USPS can't be bothered searching any more and told me as much in an email. I haven't used them for packages since.

Oscar_Stanage
04-09-2021, 10:05 AM
The exact same thing happened to me, except going the other direction. An extremely valuable package, too. That Chicago International Sorting Center is so ineptly run. USPS blamed Canada customs, who had no record of the package ever making it across the border. This was in May of 2020. All is lost. USPS can't be bothered searching any more and told me as much in an email. I haven't used them for packages since.

i dont get it... its a package with a barcode. Given it is on mass scale, but how hard is this really?

Fballguy
04-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Had a postal worker today tell me to not waste money on priority mail. They're not even hiding it any more. It's over Johnny.

Mark17
04-11-2021, 01:29 AM
Had a postal worker today tell me to not waste money on priority mail. They're not even hiding it any more. It's over Johnny.

Priority flat rate boxes are often cheaper than standard packages because weight doesn't matter, and the automatic insurance that comes with Priority has paid off for me in the past 2 months as well. So Priority has some advantages, sometimes, besides the supposed speed.

tab
04-11-2021, 04:42 AM
I have had a few packages get stuck in St. Louis over the years as a buyer. They all eventually showed up and I have been pretty patient. One item was a part for my boat a couple years ago. The package disappeared all summer long and never showed up till fall. I never did get the boat out that year. I was patient and had completely forgot about it when it showed up.

Now that I finally try my luck at selling on ebay I'm already having issues. I sold two cards and sent them both off the same day. I live in Illinois package A was going to California. Package B was going further north in Illinois(yes the same state I live in). Package A made it to California and arrived early. Package B is stuck in St. Louis for a week now.

This is very frustrating considering I had a 100% score on ebay since 1999. I just assumed there was a problem in St. Louis with USPS did not know it was all over.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
04-11-2021, 07:35 AM
I received a PWE with a December 7 postmark. I didn't think anything would break my previous 2021 record of 77 days for a one-way trip for letter mail, but this nearly doubles it at 140.

Tere1071
04-11-2021, 07:55 AM
Last week I sent out two eBay packages, a return of a near set of 1971 football cards and a magazine. Due to the pandemic and my family's wishes, I schedule pick-ups as much as possible. The carrier picked up both items but failed to scan either. The magazine was scanned at the post office and made its way to the buyer. The return is still identified as "pre-shipment info sent USPS awaits item." Friday I sent a request for assistance to check on the status of the package to see if it left the building. I've had this happen a few times in the past where out of nowhere a package arrived at its destination-late. It's nerve-racking nevertheless.

Phil aka Tere1071

Fballguy
04-11-2021, 09:21 AM
The frustrating thing, it seems to me anyway, is that there are ebbs and flows of delivery. Things will zip thru relatively quickly for a while and then with no explanation grind to a halt.

I've got 11 packages either coming or going right now and nearly all are facing a delay. It's like a horse race to see which one crosses the line first and they all seem to be fading down the stretch. I've got one that arrived in Houston (my town) on Thursday. During good times, that would mean possibly that day or likely the next, it would show up at my door. Now? No tracking update since it arrived on Thursday and no packages at my door.

jayshum
04-11-2021, 10:00 AM
The frustrating thing, it seems to me anyway, is that there are ebbs and flows of delivery. Things will zip thru relatively quickly for a while and then with no explanation grind to a halt.

I've got 11 packages either coming or going right now and nearly all are facing a delay. It's like a horse race to see which one crosses the line first and they all seem to be fading down the stretch. I've got one that arrived in Houston (my town) on Thursday. During good times, that would mean possibly that day or likely the next, it would show up at my door. Now? No tracking update since it arrived on Thursday and no packages at my door.

I had a card coming to me in NJ from TX that literally showed "In Transit Arriving Late" for 3 weeks in March through early April with no update, then one day, it miraculously arrived in Newark and was delivered to me a few days later. I put in a lost package report during that time and got a call from my local PO who told me there was not much he could do but that he was aware of significant delays from certain parts of the country including TX and the mid-west.

During the same time, I mailed something to someone in TX and also received a different package from TX, both in 4 or 5 days so it is definitely luck of the draw in many cases.

topcat61
04-11-2021, 10:06 AM
I was expecting a card on February 15, 2021 and it has yet to arrive from the Bronx. I put in an inquiry and they said that the airplane it was on had broken down and was awaiting parts in the South but it would arrive.

A month later I put in another inquiry and this is what they said -

"Since it has been over thirty days with no scans, you may file a Mail Recovery Search, at USPS.com, after creating a secure account.

It is unfortunate that the mailer did not opt for insurance at the time of mailing. First Class Mail does not include any built in insurance with this classification of mail, like Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express, therefore a claim cannot be filed.

Please know, Congress has affirmed the exclusion of claims arising from loss, miscarriage or negligent transmission of mail from coverage of the Tort Claims Act, Title 18, Section 268(b), Federal Tort Claims Act, which states that the Postal Service specifically is excluded by federal law from liability for any claim arising out of the loss, miscarriage, or negligent transmission of letters of postal matter.

Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter with you. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you".

bnorth
04-12-2021, 12:26 PM
Today it wasn't the shipping it was the moron behind the counter.

I had 5 different Randy Johnson rookie Marlboro error versions ruined. As soon as I handed them the bubble mailer she was determined to bend it in half both directions. On the 3rd time I asked her to stop. She continued to bend it back and forth while replying it would get bent in shipping anyway.

Then she said I could not send it as a package any way. At that time I was just trying to get my damaged cards back because I can't send them to the buyer now anyway.

Luckily I have extras and can send out undamaged cards in the morning when there is a different person working the counter.

I would rather have them lose my cards than destroy them in front of me when there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.:mad:

jchcollins
04-12-2021, 01:05 PM

I had 5 different Randy Johnson rookie Marlboro error versions ruined. As soon as I handed them the bubble mailer she was determined to bend it in half both directions. On the 3rd time I asked her to stop. She continued to bend it back and forth while replying it would get bent in shipping anyway.

Then she said I could not send it as a package any way. At that time I was just trying to get my damaged cards back because I can't send them to the buyer now anyway.

Luckily I have extras and can send out undamaged cards in the morning when there is a different person working the counter.

I would rather have them lose my cards than destroy them in front of me when there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.:mad:

Wow. I would have totally lost my $hit.

bobcatfunds
04-12-2021, 01:07 PM
I have had a few packages marked as "delivered", but not actually arriving until the next day. (...at least they got here.)

jchcollins
04-12-2021, 01:21 PM
I have had a few packages marked as "delivered", but not actually arriving until the next day. (...at least they got here.)

That's a USPS trick that well predates the pandemic.

RL
04-12-2021, 01:33 PM

You should contact the USPS and file a complaint about the employee purposely destroying your mail.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
04-12-2021, 02:50 PM

First, demand to speak to her boss in person (better yet, in front of her). People like this have no business keeping their jobs. Bring past eBay sales records of that card with you and demand a refund. If this gets you nowhere, move up the chain. Make sure to mention that they would have security footage evidence of the worker destroying your items. Next time, make sure to open each package right there on the counter and hold up each destroyed item for their cameras to see. Also, take your own video for extra backup. This is ridiculous.