PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard at Sportsman's Park

STL1944
12-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Ok... this is a slightly goofy thing but this is the only place I think I can share it with someone else who might appreciate it (I hope this is not seen as bragging, I am just excited).

Last night I was doing some genealogy research on my mom (she is turning 80). As a part of that I was looking into her father, my grandfather, George Kirn. George died in 1944 when my mother was 4 years old so she (nor I) never really got to know him.

As part of family lore, I knew he owned a sign company called "Kirn Sign Company" and his company created signs all over St. Louis. As part of my research last night I decided to look more into him and company.

I found pictures of some interesting signs he did around town. As I continued looking, I was shocked to find out that his company built the scoreboard at the old Sportsman's Park (Home of the Cardinals and Browns). I even found pictures of the scoreboard where you can see the company name "Kirn Sign" in the lower left hand corner.

Unexpected and cool to make a connection with a family member of the past!

Thank you for indulging me...

hammertime
12-17-2020, 07:07 PM
That's unbelievably cool! Thanks for sharing!

Casey2296
12-17-2020, 09:57 PM
Awesome story Jim, thanks for sharing.

Directly
12-18-2020, 04:37 AM
your photos confirmed this snap shot photo was taken at Sportsman's Park. Appears the score board was revised from time to time. Hopefully someone can ID the game by the large special flag displayed. Someone drew a little arrow by the center player walking out onto the field ?

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
12-18-2020, 06:20 AM
It's not a goofy post it's a great post! Have a set of three Sportsman's Park seats that were taken out during the 1953 renovation but had to replace all the slats. They are a prized item.
The field is still at Grand and Dodier.

ALR-bishop
12-18-2020, 06:53 AM
Grew up in St Louis and attended my first World Series game at Sportsman’s Park On Grand Avenue in 1964 at age 14, game 1 ; Yankees v Cardinals , Ford v Sadecki. Closed after 1966 season when Cards moved downtown to a new and round Bush Stadium, also now gone

leftygrove10
12-18-2020, 09:09 AM
That is awesome! Great research!