PDA

View Full Version : Should I pick up these silks?

whiteymet
12-16-2020, 03:53 PM
Hi Guys:

NOT my area of expertise. I can pick up the below silks. Should I? Anything good here? Assume all are without backs. I have no idea of value.

Any info appreciated

oldeboo
12-16-2020, 04:29 PM
If you like them and the price is right, sure why not? Some people like them, some don't.

They are S74s. They come in 2 different sizes. The smaller ones would have originally came with backing, but many no longer remain like that. The larger ones come in different colors. They were folded in half when put into packs, so that's why you see that. Sometimes you'll see a lot of fraying at the tops and bottoms, these look pretty solid. The best name there I think is Bresnahan, but he looks to be in a little lower condition, unfortunately. I think the rest are pretty much commons, unless I'm missing one.

It looks like past sold examples on ebay start around $20 for the junkers, then float up to around $50+ for the commons I'd say. Somewhere in(or under) that range I'd be comfortable with in regards to a bulk deal. I know that's broad, but price is hard to say when it's not my money. :)

Bridwell
12-16-2020, 04:51 PM
You have an opportunity there. The colored silks look pretty nice. The white silks aren't worth much without the backs attached. Contact me privately for more details.

Fred
12-16-2020, 05:09 PM
If the price is right, why not. If you don't like them and you get them at the right price you can always flip'em to somebody that appreciates them.

I have a few. The colored ones are neat but I like the white ones with the backing (a little tougher to find the silks with the backings).

Hankphenom
12-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Those are great. I've always loved the silks-S81s in particular, but S74s as well.

kmac32
12-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Hi Guys:

NOT my area of expertise. I can pick up the below silks. Should I? Anything good here? Assume all are without backs. I have no idea of value.

Any info appreciated

Nice. Assortment in general. They are missing backs so would not spend a ton on them. Also if you like them graded, SGG will gladly upcharge you $20 a piece above their normal grading charge. LMAO

nolemmings
12-16-2020, 05:53 PM
I might have an interest in one or more of the colored silks, other than Bresnahan. I would need to see larger scans, but they seem to be in pretty good shape.

Don't have them graded, if you were considering it.

whiteymet
12-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Hi Guys:

Thanks for all your comments. Now all I have to do is figure out the "right price" you all are mentioning for the silks and see if the seller agrees!

jcmtiger
12-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Some of the white ones could have the backs. You would have to see them. I had the Detroit set at one time. Joe

Leon
12-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Hi Guys:

Thanks for all your comments. Now all I have to do is figure out the "right price" you all are mentioning for the silks and see if the seller agrees!

The price is the hard part, especially if you need a little meat left on the bone. Generally speaking, they don't go as high as other segments go. Of course there are some big HOF'ers that do, as well as some rare backs, but they pale in comparison to cards. There are a lot of folks that collect, buy and sell them so it won't be an issue there. It's all about the price. :) Some internet searching should guide you a little bit. Good luck

Hankphenom
12-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Hi Guys: Thanks for all your comments. Now all I have to do is figure out the "right price" you all are mentioning for the silks and see if the seller agrees!

What do they want for them? Unless it's something I'm dying to have, I always figure it's up to the seller to come up with the price they want, and won't play the "make me an offer" game on the assumption the seller will just take my offer and then sell to someone else for five dollars more.

whiteymet
12-19-2020, 07:29 PM
The price is the hard part, especially if you need a little meat left on the bone. Generally speaking, they don't go as high as other segments go. Of course there are some big HOF'ers that do, as well as some rare backs, but they pale in comparison to cards. There are a lot of folks that collect, buy and sell them so it won't be an issue there. It's all about the price. :) Some internet searching should guide you a little bit. Good luck

Leon:

Thanks for reply. I have had several PM's with offers regarding these so it does seem there is pretty good interest in them.

I will try to obtain them then decide what I'll do. They may head to an auction house. Not sure yet.

Hankphenom
12-20-2020, 08:59 AM
Leon:

Thanks for reply. I have had several PM's with offers regarding these so it does seem there is pretty good interest in them.

I will try to obtain them then decide what I'll do. They may head to an auction house. Not sure yet.

Fred,
I would keep my expectations low for any kind of auction bonanza on these. For a lot of one HOFer and 21 commons, I'd guess a high bid somewhere around $500-$600, from which they will deduct a consignor's fee. Anybody else want to hazard a number? Good luck with them.
Hank

Aaron Seefeldt
12-21-2020, 09:58 AM
I’ve always liked the s74 silks, especially the whites, but without the paper backs I’d pass. I’ve never bought them without the backs, they just don’t seem “whole”.

Alexcards
12-23-2020, 09:51 PM
Some really strong prices on S74 silks in this past Heritage auction... Cobb SGC3 / Turkey Red Back White went for $1500 (still think this is low), SGC4 colored Cobb $1860, colored Walter Johnson SGC5.5 $1380, colored Mathewson SGC6 $1680, colored SGC5 Cy Young $690 (I would take 5 more at that price).... I think there is real value and upside to these silks even at these higher prices.

Alexcards
12-23-2020, 10:02 PM
Some really strong prices on S74 silks in this past Heritage auction... Cobb SGC3 / Turkey Red Back White went for $1500 (still think this is low), SGC4 colored Cobb $1860, colored Walter Johnson SGC5.5 $1380, colored Mathewson SGC6 $1680. I think there is real value and upside to these silks even at these higher prices.

Chris Counts
12-24-2020, 05:43 PM
I think the color ones are sleepers. It seems like most of what's available is from the black and white set ...

jcmtiger
12-24-2020, 10:18 PM
Fred,
I would keep my expectations low for any kind of auction bonanza on these. For a lot of one HOFer and 21 commons, I'd guess a high bid somewhere around $500-$600, from which they will deduct a consignor's fee. Anybody else want to hazard a number? Good luck with them.
Hank

If you don’t have Cobbs in the group forget an auction house joe

Tao_Moko
12-24-2020, 10:37 PM
Fred,
Hank

I agree with Hank on the auction aspect. Although my guess is probably closer to $750.

Hankphenom
12-25-2020, 02:57 PM
Some really strong prices on S74 silks in this past Heritage auction... Cobb SGC3 / Turkey Red Back White went for $1500 (still think this is low), SGC4 colored Cobb $1860, colored Walter Johnson SGC5.5 $1380, colored Mathewson SGC6 $1680. I think there is real value and upside to these silks even at these higher prices.

Wow! I had no idea the S74s had moved this much since I was paying attention to them. When I auctioned my set of six different WaJo colored silks about ten years ago, I think I got about $600 for the lot of them. I thought that was ridiculously low at the time, and now I know it was! I guess they're not under the radar any more! B-18s to follow suit?

Hankphenom
12-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Wow! I had no idea the S74s had moved this much since I was paying attention to them. When I auctioned my set of six different WaJo colored silks about ten years ago, I think I got about $600 for the lot of them. I thought that was ridiculously low at the time, and now I know it was! I guess they're not under the radar any more! B-18s to follow suit?

Of course, the Heritage examples are in really great condition. I wonder if the TPGs can tell if loose threads have been cut off S74s?

Leon
12-31-2020, 11:38 AM
Leon:

It is a small but fervent group of silk collectors. I have never had any issue selling them. But from what I remember, I bought a few large groups and paid a bit strong. I don't think I ended up that great LOL....

Any update? These kinds of things are fun.