PDA

View Full Version : Christ I am full of good news today.. Phil Spector

danmckee
12-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Sad News Folks sorry Long Time Hockey Collector and dealer Phil Spector passed away this morning. His daughter Jill just called me. So Sad. Phil was a super guy!

Prayers and Best Thoughts to the Spector family please.

Thanks friends and fellow collectors.

Dan Mckee

Jewish-collector
12-16-2020, 02:07 PM
So sad. I'm so sorry to hear that. I loved Phil.

bobw
12-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Always looked forward to seeing "Philadelphia Phil" and Joan at the Philly Shows. I remember one year he showed me a hockey card in which he was in the background....wish I could remember which one.

RIP Phil

Rich Klein
12-16-2020, 02:25 PM
Always looked forward to seeing "Philadelphia Phil" and Joan at the Philly Shows. I remember one year he showed me a hockey card in which he was in the background....wish I could remember which one.

RIP Phil

It was a 1990-91 Pro Set card. Joan was also in the background. I have a signed copy at home and will look for it when I get home later.

Rich

BRoberts
12-16-2020, 02:28 PM
Phil was a wonderful guy. RIP.

bobw
12-16-2020, 03:16 PM
It was a 1990-91 Pro Set card. Joan was also in the background. I have a signed copy at home and will look for it when I get home later.

Rich

Thanks, Rich..I guess I'll be going through some old monster boxes tonight..:).

judsonhamlin
12-16-2020, 03:20 PM
He was always fun to talk to at the Philly Shows. I remember one year he had a stack of Old Judges in a sandwich bag - $75 each. Different planet then

oaks1912
12-16-2020, 03:55 PM
Dan, His name just came up a week ago when I was talking with Teddy Z. We visited Phil at his (Score Board) office in Cherry Hill many years ago. The day was still fresh in my memory though I had talked with Phil & Joan many times over the years. Last time I saw him was at one of the Baltimore Nationals a few years back. RIP Mr Hockey

whiteymet
12-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Good Guy! Quite a character. Always enjoyed seeing him and talking with him at shows.

Condolences to his family

ValKehl
12-16-2020, 07:29 PM
Phil was always enjoyable to chat with at the Philly Shows. If my memory serves me correctly (it doesn't always), Phil sold me this card at a very fair price back in the 1990's - it's not in the greatest condition, but I've cherished having it:

tedzan
12-16-2020, 07:52 PM
Dan, His name just came up a week ago when I was talking with Teddy Z. We visited Phil at his (Score Board) office in Cherry Hill many years ago. The day was still fresh in my memory though I had talked with Phil & Joan many times over the years. Last time I saw him was at one of the Baltimore Nationals a few years back. RIP Mr Hockey

Dan and Mark

Very sad to hear this. Phil was a fun guy to be with. Every time I glance at this 1949 LEAF card in my set, I have a flash-back to 1981 at the Willow Grove Show when I first met Phil.

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/1949LEAFStanMusialLtBlue.jpg ...... I remember buying this Musial card from Phil because it was a rare Light Blue variation of the regular card.

Phil was the Director of Vintage Cards Dept. at Score Board. His delightful secretary, Marianne, would call me to tell me Phil had acquired a bunch of 1949 LEAF single-prints.
I would drive down to Cherry Hill (NJ) and Phil would give me a great deal on these rare cards. Thanks to Phil, I finally completed this extremely tough set.
In the 1980's, Phil and I were set-up at adjacent tables at several BB card Shows, and there was never a dull moment.

GOD Bless your soul Phil....and, comfort Joan and your Family.

TED Z

T206 Reference ( http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

Rich Klein
12-16-2020, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Rich..I guess I'll be going through some old monster boxes tonight..:).

It was 1990-91 Pro Set Uwe Krupp -- for once the 1st card I saw when I was looking for something

Rich

bobw
12-16-2020, 08:23 PM
It was 1990-91 Pro Set Uwe Krupp -- for once the 1st card I saw when I was looking for something

Rich

Thanks, Rich
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50728656692_c038b39abb_b.jpg

Wildfireschulte
12-17-2020, 07:25 AM
My parents became good friends with Phil and Joan in the 90’s - they always set up next to each other at Chicago shows and my dad went to Russia with Phil. Once my dad got two tickets on the glass for a Black Hawks / Flyers game and fight broke out right in front of them - the next morning the Sun Times had a great color photo of the fight with Phil clearly in the background. I called Phil to see if he wanted print from the newspaper and he said “get me 20”. I said that are $18 each and the first one is on me and he immediately responded, “get me one”

Kevin Savage
12-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Wow- very sad to hear about Phil. A great guy I have known pretty much my whole hobby life. He always had a great story - and was always hustling. Always fair deals- and a nice guy to talk to. I served with him on the National Sports Collectors Convention Committee for a few years- and even played with him on a basketball team at the National one year at one of the Texas Nationals. (You always have to love a guy who would set a good hard pick for you).

RIP- this hobby will miss you-

Kevin

glynparson
12-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Sad news thanks for informing us Dan. I always liked Phil. Super nice guy.

Rich Klein
12-21-2020, 09:37 AM
I emailed Dr. Jim about this and we taped and he ran this tribute podcast to Phil this AM

https://beckettinsights.podbean.com/e/370-tribute-phil-spector-with-rich-klein/

Rich

Donscards
12-21-2020, 10:04 AM
I emailed Dr. Jim about this and we taped and he ran this tribute podcast to Phil this AM

https://beckettinsights.podbean.com/e/370-tribute-phil-spector-with-rich-klein/

Rich

Rich. Great podcast. Nice stories. I really enjoyed listening. Thanks for the update. Don