PDA

View Full Version : Question for the signed set collectors

Seven
12-14-2020, 05:36 PM
I have no doubt that there are a handful of people on here, that collect a signed set of cards. For those that do, what set are you/have you collected and how long has it taken?

I'd imagine some sets are borderline impossible to complete, but I'm curious on how people have progressed through certain sets. I'd imagine, something like the 33 Goudey, 52 topps, 39 playball would all carry a heavy premium. Thanks for taking a look and answering my questions!

Republicaninmass
12-14-2020, 07:21 PM
I've been working on a signed 1952 topps ser for about 20 years. I'm not sure I'll ever complete it, I'm not even sure it's possible. Authenticators from 2 TPGs told me it is not possible. The high series is proving the most difficult as well as costly. The obscure names are my nemesis as hofers can usually be found.

doug.goodman
12-14-2020, 08:04 PM
I've been working on a signed 1952 topps ser for about 20 years. I'm not sure I'll ever complete it, I'm not even sure it's possible. Authenticators from 2 TPGs told me it is not possible. The high series is proving the most difficult as well as costly. The obscure names are my nemesis as hofers can usually be found.

Why wouldn't it be possible?

Republicaninmass
12-14-2020, 08:08 PM
They told.me cards would be impossible to have been signed. More so that lack of the ability for collectors to have found high numbers in packs, and then have them signed before players passing. Many obscure players rounding out the high series, as well as coaches

rhettyeakley
12-14-2020, 10:57 PM
I only really collect Topps and Bowman sets in autographed form. I have never gone terribly out of my way to buy them but have slowly built a pretty sizable collection over the years. I have about 4,000 different from before 1970.

I collect 1948-1955 Bowman and 1951-1980 Topps but I focus more on certain set more than others. I feel some sets were almost made to be collected signed (like 1958 Topps) and am not a big fan of signed cards of those sets that already have facsimile autographs on front (like 1975 Topps).

doug.goodman
12-15-2020, 12:51 AM
They told.me cards would be impossible to have been signed. More so that lack of the ability for collectors to have found high numbers in packs, and then have them signed before players passing. Many obscure players rounding out the high series, as well as coaches

They are absolutely wrong. At least regarding the high numbers.

Billy Meyer was the first person in the high number set to die (March 1957), that's 4 full years for him to have signed a card.
Campy has his accident prior to the 1958 season

Everybody else in the high number set outlived the printing of the cards by 10+ years. In fact only 5 more guys died before the 20 year mark.

I'm too lazy to check death dates for everybody in the low number set, but I seriously doubt that the word "impossible" comes into play, and if I'm wrong, well then the fact that it's impossible for them to have signed a card means your set would be complete without them.

Not being able to have Ty Cobb to sign his 1973 card does not mean that you can't complete a set of signed 1973 Topps cards.

Doug

vthobby
12-15-2020, 01:05 AM
Jerry G (Thank you Jerry!) sold me a starter set of 1961 Fleer Basketball on here about 4 or 5 years ago.

It is absolutely loaded with HOF Rookie cards and great NBA players. That journey took me on a detective, writing, and phone calling campaign (I called 2 players in the set and got autos from them!).

It's a time capsule in history. Wilt RC, Oscar RC, West RC, Elgin RC....and on and on.....

I've met Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson because of this set at the Shriners Show in Mass a few years ago!

I proceeded to have each card slabbed by PSA/DNA. It is currently the #1 set on their Registry and has garnered it's fair share of awards since and a nice article in an SMR PSA magazine about 15 months ago.

Drum roll.......I NEED 1 more card. It has a pop of ZERO but I know it's out there! Card #7 Carl Braun....he had decades to sign a card......I know it's out there! Thanks! Mike

PS A few goodies to peruse!

Kaneen
12-15-2020, 01:22 AM
I've been working on a signed 1948 Bowman set for about 8 years (currently at 45 of 48 - just need Buddy Kerr, Herm Wehmeier, & Dave Koslo). I started the set after picking up a signed card lot from a friend at the National that contained 18 of the 48 cards in the set. I have spent more on it than I will likely ever recoup if I decide to sell, mainly because several other collectors work on this set (I think due to it's relatively small size, how good the cards look signed, and the fact that it is possible to complete). The final cards needed are on many of the 48B set collectors' short list of needs, so any time one becomes available on the market it can be a bidding bloodbath. That said, it's been a fun chase and I love the challenge of the search. Here's a link to my thread in the autograph section that includes pics of my cards.

Kaneen's Signed 1948 Bowman Set (https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268024)

I've also worked on some modern sets, particularly the Fleer Greats of the Game sets from:
2000 (100 of 100 - Complete!) Kaneen's Complete Signed 2000 GOTG Set (https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=290650)
2001 (91 of 92 - Need only Bobby Bonds)
2002 (63 of 69)
2004 (72 of 111)

sbfinley
12-15-2020, 01:31 AM
They are absolutely wrong. At least regarding the high numbers.

I've never worked on the 52' set or studied it closely, but I've worked two dozen other signed sets and "within the realm of physical possibility" and "possible" are two very different terms in regards to signed sets. 1981 Topps is within the realm of possiblity to be completed fully signed. That being said, it's not possible to complete IMO.

doug.goodman
12-15-2020, 04:51 AM
I've never worked on the 52' set or studied it closely, but I've worked two dozen other signed sets and "within the realm of physical possibility" and "possible" are two very different terms in regards to signed sets. 1981 Topps is within the realm of possiblity to be completed fully signed. That being said, it's not possible to complete IMO.

Why not? Are there guys in the set that died in 1981 or 1982?

roarfrom34
12-15-2020, 06:04 AM
The only signed set I've completed in full is the 1983 Donruss Action All Star set (only 59 cards; one checklist)...

In 1991, the Orioles came out with a Crown Gas/Coke sponsored set of every player to have played with the team 1954 through the '91 Opening Day roster...

I believe that set had 502 cards and would be impossible to complete because at the time of issue 450 of them were still alive. Over the years, I've had 444 out of those 450 signed...

doug.goodman
12-15-2020, 06:26 AM
The only signed set I've completed in full is the 1983 Donruss Action All Star set (only 59 cards; one checklist)...

In 1991, the Orioles came out with a Crown Gas/Coke sponsored set of every player to have played with the team 1954 through the '91 Opening Day roster...

I believe that set had 502 cards and would be impossible to complete because at the time of issue 450 of them were still alive. Over the years, I've had 444 out of those 450 signed...

To my way of thinking 450 would be "complete". If you are dead when a card is released that pretty much seals the deal.

I understand that if you say "I have the complete set signed" people who don't know any better would be looking for a signed cards of the dead guys, but you could say "I have all possible cards in the set was issued signed".

"Possible" being defined as "player was alive when the set was issued".

In regards to the 1952 set, I find it hard to believe that anybody on a card is "impossible". But, I could be wrong.

egri
12-15-2020, 06:28 AM
I've been working on a signed 1953 Topps set for about six and a half years now and am at 259/274. At first I wanted to see how many I could get TTM, then the bug bit me and I've been trying to get the whole set done since. I got blown out of the water on the REA lot that would have knocked out more than half of my wantlist. From looking at PSA/DNA's population report, there is at least one example of each card signed, though there are four I have yet to see at all (Fox, Bickford, Fussleman, Norman).

ubiqty
12-15-2020, 07:13 AM
I've been working on this set for about 10 years. I have 227 of 240. Seems reasonable that I'll get a little bit closer but it's very slow going. I've identified 8 of the ones that I'm missing but they aren't available now. Every now and again a surprise find surfaces.
Scott.

Seven
12-15-2020, 07:32 AM

Ted,

I had you in mind when I made this post! I'm hoping they're wrong and that you can complete the set. With the way some of the high numbers have really shot up in price, I give you a ton of credit for continuing your Journey. If you don't mind me asking, have you knocked out most of the big names in the series? Mays, Mantle, Matthews, etc?

Republicaninmass
12-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Passed on the Mathews a while back and still kicking myself. They come up from time to time.

Campy, still none graded. It would be strange if none existed as he was appearing at shows until his death.

Jackie, probably going to break the bank, though they exist.

Have Mante and May's, probably the only reason I'm continuing with the crazy spike in prices.

Other than that, all that's left are either 1/1 or none graded.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

packs
12-15-2020, 08:10 AM
Always respected this endeavor. I'd imagine it would be nearly impossible to complete even a modern set with the number of cards in them.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-15-2020, 09:42 AM
I can't get into specifics much yet but our January auction is going to be LOADED with autographed cards from Goudey through the 1980's including sets like 1948 Swell and 1951 Berk Ross. A couple of highlights I can share are Nolan Ryan Rookie, 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese and several Roger Maris cards.

sbfinley
12-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Why not? Are there guys in the set that died in 1981 or 1982?

Steve Macko passed in late 1981 so the Cubs Future Stars card is very difficult to complete or find completed, but not impossible and a couple examples are in the market.

The Mariners card is impossible to complete IMO and doesn't exist in the known market. Rick Anderson passed in 1989 and was reclusive after he left baseball in 1981 although legend states he was sorting fan mail at the moment of his death. The number of copies in the market with his signature roughly equal about 20-25, but in the past couple of years I've come to believe that the majority of copies in the market including authenticated examples were either signed by current Tigers' pitching coach Rick Anderson - or more likely - forged using the model of the wrong Rick Anderson's signature. The card is impossible to complete because despite almost 15 years of searching I have never seen, nor met someone claiming to have seen, the Mariners card with both Anderson and Rodney Craig. Craig didn't pass until 2013, but dealt with many personal issues after baseball. The closest I have ever seen the card to be completed is someone had a copy signed by Anderson and Biercewicz (although I believe the Anderson to have been a copy I described above) and was able to get the card to Craig's family in LA to be signed, but Craig was murdered the same week.