PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Lot 59200 White Sox Photo

ThomasL
12-13-2020, 12:06 PM
If anyone on here won this photograph congrats! I was in the mix bidding. Heritage didnt do a great job with their description/research on it and I wrote a full article about this photo that will appear in the next edition of the SABR Black Sox committee newsletter. I fully identify everyone in the photo and narrow it down to within a week of it being taken.

It is from the 1917 White Sox spring training in Mineral Wells, TX

(also if you want to flip it for some extra cash I might be interested!)

T206Jim
12-13-2020, 01:12 PM
I was an underbidder as well and recognized it as 1917 Mineral Wells. My guess is the differing uniforms represent assigned intra-club practice teams during training camp. Congrats to the winner, I was hoping it would slip through myself.

ThomasL
12-13-2020, 01:22 PM
Yes they split into the Whites and Blues in 1916 and 1917 spring trainings. At points they would switch players from the two teams, mostly pitchers.

This photo is likely the first team photo of the champion White Sox of 1917, and more importantly the 1st that features all 8 men out present in a Sox uniform.

Dto7
12-23-2020, 12:50 AM
Team 1 in the white uniforms and team 2 in the dark uniforms. From the March 16, 1917, Chicago Tribune.

ThomasL
12-23-2020, 08:08 AM
Since I love researching things, love the 1919 White Sox, love my home state of Texas and a SABR member I decided it was worth my time to attempt an ID of this image as I was not at all satisfied with Heritage's description (they did correct the original listing after I contacted them as they originally had Gandil IDed as Joe Jackson). I wrote a research article and IDed everyone in this photo for the Dec 2020 SABR Black Sox Committee Newsletter.

Here are the IDs

Top Row L-R:
Swede Risberg, Clarence Rowland (manager), Nemo Leibold, Joe Jackson, Joe Jenkins, Bruno Haas, Mel Wolfgang, Jim Scott, Reb Russell, Hap Felsch, Kid Gleason (coach)

2nd Row L-R:
Byrd Lynn, Jack Fournier, Fred McMullin, Walter Mayer, Johnny Walker, Frank Shellenback, John Collins, Red Faber, Joe Benz

3rd Row L-R:
Ray Schalk, Andrew Norman, Bruce Hartford, Wilbur Gray, Lefty Williams, Zeb Terry, Snake Henry, Red Ainsworth, Dave Danforth

Bottom Row L-R:
Ted Jourdan, George Lyons, Eddie Collins, Ross Eldred, Ziggy Hasbrook, Eddie Cicotte, Chick Gandil, Martin Lamers, Buck Weaver

Not Included in the Picture:
Eddie Murphy-present in camp but not in photo (sick)

ThomasL
12-23-2020, 08:10 AM
You can find the Dec 2020 newsletter in PDF form here:

SABR is amazing, if you are not a member I strongly suggest becoming one and joining a committee/group in the area of the game you love.

https://sabr.org/research/black-sox-scandal-research-committee-newsletters/

jerseygary
12-23-2020, 11:07 AM
I received the Black Sox newsletter yesterday - nice article and great research into that photo!