PDA

View Full Version : Gehrig '25 Exhibits Rookie Card

Snapolit1
12-10-2020, 09:44 AM
Joining the party. 87k with the juice. Wonder if it will be pushed higher.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1925-exhibits-lou-gehrig-sgc-vg-3-his-rookie-card-debut-/a/50031-57336.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Mark
12-10-2020, 10:16 AM

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1925-exhibits-lou-gehrig-sgc-vg-3-his-rookie-card-debut-/a/50031-57336.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Not bad for a VG 3!

shagrotn77
12-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Every time I see this Exhibit, I get sick to my stomach. It wasn't too long ago that these could be had for less than $5K. I dragged my feet and now it's WAY past anything I could ever afford. :(

Kutcher55
12-10-2020, 10:52 AM
That is one expensive postcard.

ullmandds
12-10-2020, 10:59 AM
I too regret not having picked one of these up a long time ago...OH WELL!

If mantle rookie is worth what it is...this Gehrig should be worth a lot more than it currently is!

GasHouseGang
12-10-2020, 11:05 AM
Does anyone else remember when no one wanted Exhibits? They were too big, didn't fit in any of the regular pages, blah, blah, blah. Why didn't I ignore the experts!?:D

ullmandds
12-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Does anyone else remember when no one wanted Exhibits? They were too big, didn't fit in any of the regular pages, blah, blah, blah. Why didn't I ignore the experts!?:D

not many people want them STILL!!!!!

robertsmithnocure
12-10-2020, 11:44 AM
That is one expensive postcard.

Besides being a similar size, how is this Exhibit a postcard?

Exhibitman
12-10-2020, 11:48 AM
Every time I see this Exhibit, I get sick to my stomach. It wasn't too long ago that these could be had for less than $5K. I dragged my feet and now it's WAY past anything I could ever afford. :(

Me too. I have been an Exhibit collector for years but didn't really think it imperative to spend $2k-$3k on the 1925 when I was picking up other Gehrigs and Ruths for under $500. By the time I woke up the card was into five figures.

What really makes me throw up is that I would be retired now if I had bought a handful of cards in the early 1990s when I had the income and the chance but I was trying to be a 'responsible adult' and do the right thing, so I invested in mutual funds instead. D'oh!

Snapolit1
12-10-2020, 12:56 PM
This Exhibits Ruth (Pose) is a total enigma to me. A stunning breath taking card. Should be trading in super rarified air and never has. Obviously not a rookie, but what a picture.

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/lot-12790.aspx

Exhibitman
12-10-2020, 01:52 PM
That's always been my favorite Exhibit Ruth.

DeanH3
12-10-2020, 03:13 PM
I too regret not stepping up and getting one when they were reasonable. So I settled for a '27, which wasn't a bad year for Lou.

https://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=22531

Kutcher55
12-10-2020, 03:17 PM
Besides being a similar size, how is this Exhibit a postcard?

It's just a photograph with no borders and no design to speak of. It's also postcard sized as you noted. It also has a blank back. The only thing missing is a place to put the address and a stamp lol. Obviously it's very valuable and coveted and my comment is meant to be in jest. Not my cup of tea but fortunately there are other things for me to collect.

yanksfan09
12-10-2020, 03:56 PM
I too regret not stepping up and getting one when they were reasonable. So I settled for a '27, which wasn't a bad year for Lou.

I too did the same thing, got my Rookie alternative 1927.

I'd guess the 1925 should continue to appreciate very nicely and keep surprising people. Very tough rookie of an all time great!

Peter_Spaeth
12-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Lotta cards in that category. Next time you feel FOMO, act on it.:cool:

brianp-beme
12-10-2020, 04:33 PM
I like my Exhibits die-cut and post-rookie...this one is from the 1926-29 issue.

Brian

irv
12-10-2020, 04:45 PM

I remember someone on here selling a Jackie Robinson Exhibit for what I believe was $30 dollars?

IIRC, he even lowered the price before it was finally sold. I hemmed and hawed and before I knew it, it was sold.
Not that it receives Lou Gehrig prices today but it is multiples of the $30 dollars now. :(

pokerplyr80
12-10-2020, 10:14 PM
Feels even worse when you had one but let it go. Although looking back it was the right decision at the time.

itjclarke
12-11-2020, 12:02 AM
I too did the same thing, got my Rookie alternative 1927.

I'd guess the 1925 should continue to appreciate very nicely and keep surprising people. Very tough rookie of an all time great!

Me three... though both of yours are nicer than mine.

Kills me, I was underbidder on a 1925 Exhibit Gehrig, but decided not to make a run at it. It sold for about $2400 in 2014. Prices shot through the roof within weeks/months of that one, think in part after it had been posted about and discussed here. It all evens out though, I've been on the good side of many purchases in my 25-30 years collecting, so can't complain too much.

Rhotchkiss
12-11-2020, 08:59 AM

Yup, it certainly got pushed higher, and I am (partially) to blame. I wonder if I was battling one other person or whether several of us were after it. Regardless, it sold for six figures and I am the moron that made it so. But at least now I own a Gehrig Rookie.

In addition to the Gehrig, look what happened with the 1916 M101-4 Sporting News Ruth Rookie, and the 1914 CJ Matty and Altoona Ruth in REA a few days ago. I think with all the new money in cards, the values on these iconic cards are being reset/re-established, and its get them now or risk paying even more next time they come up. Indeed, even the 1933 Goudey Lajoie sold for 20% more than the same exact card sold for 6 months prior.

I think we are in a new phase of the "hobby", where for some and some cards, it is no longer, nor ever will be again, a hobby.

Snapolit1
12-11-2020, 09:16 AM
I bought a SGC 3 from a board member sometime ago for $17,000. Sold it for double that. Was rejoicing at the time. LOL.

Casey2296
12-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Yup, it certainly got pushed higher, and I am (partially) to blame. I wonder if I was battling one other person or whether several of us were after it. Regardless, it sold for six figures and I am the moron that made it so. But at least now I own a Gehrig Rookie.

In addition to the Gehrig, look what happened with the 1916 M101-4 Sporting News Ruth Rookie, and the 1914 CJ and Altoona Ruth in REA a few days ago. I think with all the new money in cards, the values on these iconic cards are being reset/re-established, and its get them now or risk paying even more next time they come up. Indeed, even the 1933 Goudey Lajoie sold for 20% more than the same exact card sold for 6 months prior.

I think we are in a new phase of the "hobby", where for some and some cards, it is no longer, nor ever will be again, a hobby.

Congrats on the pick up Ryan, nice addition to your collection.

ullmandds
12-11-2020, 11:02 AM

In addition to the Gehrig, look what happened with the 1916 M101-4 Sporting News Ruth Rookie, and the 1914 CJ and Altoona Ruth in REA a few days ago. I think with all the new money in cards, the values on these iconic cards are being reset/re-established, and its get them now or risk paying even more next time they come up. Indeed, even the 1933 Goudey Lajoie sold for 20% more than the same exact card sold for 6 months prior.

nice ryan

jayshum
12-11-2020, 11:12 AM

There was a 1927 Exhibit Gehrig in Heritage last night in a new SGC 2 holder that looks in similar condition to yours. I was the underbidder on it and it was a hard choice not to bid higher because I'm worried about what the price will be when the next one comes along. I've got about half the set including a Ruth and Cobb so I was hoping to pick up the Gehrig but decided to hold off and hope to find one somewhere else.

Blunder19
12-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Great card Ryan.. thats the type of card which only goes up... enjoy it.. it will fit in well with your collection!

Exhibitman
12-11-2020, 12:15 PM
That's a really interesting point, Ryan, and is why I am holding on to my really choice cards. An Exhibit sleeper that has started to wake up is Cobb. I've seen increases on his cards lately, which makes sense since they were always distant third place behind Ruth and Gehrig. Johnson too.

rjackson44
12-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Terrific investment

Rickyy
12-11-2020, 01:05 PM
Just like a lot of cards these days...exhibits are just shooting up the charts. I remember I passed on a Exhibit Ruth Portrait card for $300 at a postcard show a few years ago because I thought that was too high and he would come down in price. Ended up picking up a worse condition one at nearly triple that price later on.

Ricky Y

DeanH3
12-11-2020, 10:44 PM

In addition to the Gehrig, look what happened with the 1916 M101-4 Sporting News Ruth Rookie, and the 1914 CJ Matty and Altoona Ruth in REA a few days ago. I think with all the new money in cards, the values on these iconic cards are being reset/re-established, and its get them now or risk paying even more next time they come up. Indeed, even the 1933 Goudey Lajoie sold for 20% more than the same exact card sold for 6 months prior.

That piece is spectacular. Regards to the price, you've made some wise purchases in the past that now look like bargains. I have a feeling this one will end up in that category as well.

DeanH3
12-11-2020, 10:45 PM
There was a 1927 Exhibit Gehrig in Heritage last night in a new SGC 2 holder that looks in similar condition to yours. I was the underbidder on it and it was a hard choice not to bid higher because I'm worried about what the price will be when the next one comes along. I've got about half the set including a Ruth and Cobb so I was hoping to pick up the Gehrig but decided to hold off and hope to find one somewhere else.

Jay - It's always a tough decision whether or not to make that "one more" bid. I've been there. Some held up and others didn't. I must say I don't regret those "one more" bids.

ullmandds
12-11-2020, 11:17 PM
ya...it seems like yesterday you could get gehrig/ruth exhibits in the low hundreds...cobbs even less. You look at the pops...and many are uncommon compared to issues like e121/goudey. Full sized images...and oversized cards have become acceptable...I resisted them for a long time.

At this point I was thinking I'd have to be content with a 27' exhibit with the same pose but even those are getting spendy!

Beautiful card Ryan! Whats the pop on 25' gehrigs anyway? Like 40?

MVSNYC
12-12-2020, 04:45 AM
Congrats Ryan! Great card.

ezez420
12-12-2020, 05:28 AM
I guess I will have to settle on my poor man Gehrig and be happy with it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201212/331afd584558aaaa5be91a0733bb85e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk