PDA

View Full Version : Giant Mouse-Man in 1950 Bowman Larry Doby??

Belfast1933
12-07-2020, 07:28 PM
So, my family humors me to help me decide which card for each HOFer to add to my collection display.

So tonight, when I sent the 1950 Bowman Larry Doby around for consideration, my brother in law pointed out that there is a giant mouse-man (or bunny??) in the front row behind the dugout!

What the actual #%$& is THIS all about?? Am guessing more experienced collectors of that set know the back story... do tell, please!!

Check it out...

edjs
12-07-2020, 07:45 PM
What about the big blue blob guy on the other side? Looks like a bird-man to me.

GasHouseGang
12-07-2020, 07:48 PM
I suspect it actually isn't what it appears to be. Here's an attempt at a closeup photo.

JollyElm
12-08-2020, 12:18 AM
"That was my dear late husband, Harold. He was climbing the Sherwin-Williams ladder in those days, so he probably scored the tix
from one of the higher-ups. We buried him with a "Let's Go Tribe!" pennant on his chest. A big fan that sweet man was."

drcy
12-08-2020, 12:37 AM
What I found under my digital microscope:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Kct4G20TNJg/hqdefault.jpg

https://mountainx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/brain4.jpg

https://teddingtontown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/photo_bennyhillsalute1.jpg

BabyRuth
12-08-2020, 04:45 AM
Did I see this guy in the stands?

Belfast1933
12-08-2020, 06:37 AM
Ok, ok! I can see where this is going...

I just thought there might have been some kind of inside joke bu the artist who created this card (which is KILLER nice, btw!)

(Sure looks like a mouse to me! Nobody sees this?! Oh well... I’ll stand down now!)

Jeff

bobw
12-08-2020, 06:53 AM
https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A211849/datastream/IMAGE/view

Bobbycee
12-08-2020, 04:53 PM
All kidding aside. I never really took the time to look over this set. It's a beautiful look. Square, compact & full of color. Nice backs too. I love the simplicity of the 52 Bowman set, but this is even cooler being so perfectly square. I can see picking up some of these if I can find a good starter set deal. Probably not a large set as well. Inspiration from an odd start!

Bobbycee
12-08-2020, 04:53 PM
All kidding aside. I never really took the time to look over this set. It's a beautiful look. Square, compact & full of color. Nice backs too. I love the simplicity of the 52 Bowman set, but this is even cooler being so perfectly square. I can see picking up some of these if I can find a good starter set deal. Probably not a large set as well. Inspiration from an odd start!

vthobby
12-09-2020, 09:04 AM
Ok, ok! I can see where this is going...

I just thought there might have been some kind of inside joke bu the artist who created this card (which is KILLER nice, btw!)

(Sure looks like a mouse to me! Nobody sees this?! Oh well... I’ll stand down now!)

Jeff

Jeff,

This is how oddities get discovered! You have to try! I appreciate the "try" and by blind luck, I just opened this similar Postcard item in my mail yesterday! I had truly forgotten about it due to COMC talking FOREVER to ship so I had a nice chuckle and thought of your thread! Hey, who doesn't like the Easter Bunny? :)
My Postcard is a bit clearer like the previous team photo card and it appears to be a mix of 2 men (one standing with arms crossed, and one sitting in front of him). With the smaller 1950 Bowman card, it is almost impossible to see that clearly. I DO see the "Bunny" at first glance so there's 2 of us!

Conclusion: We both would have performed off the charts on the famous "Rorschach Test"! :cool:

Thanks for sharing. During this pandemic, we could all use a distraction like this!

Peace, Mike

tonyo
12-09-2020, 11:45 AM
that's hilarious. Great eye by your brother in law!

Now that I know to look for a mouse in the stands, I looked at my copy to see if he is there, and sure enough............

oh, and agree about the 50 bowman set. The action poses are some of my favorites .

ALR-bishop
12-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Harvey ?

Gobucsmagic74
12-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Its two different people. One sitting behind the dugout and someone else standing behind him. Funny though on first glance

jcmtiger
12-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Its two different people. One sitting behind the dugout and someone else standing behind him. Funny though on first glance

Yes

tonyo
12-09-2020, 03:00 PM

The post card on post #8 shows that clearly, but I will allow myself to see that mouse every time I look at the card from now on.

conor912
12-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Can’t say I see a mouse man, but I will join the ranks of those who love this set. It’s one of my favorites of all time, and with no Mantle, Mays or Joe D it’s fairly affordable to complete and a great value.

Belfast1933
12-09-2020, 03:40 PM
I think I may just have to change my Net54 handle to “Giant Mouse-Man!”

(And now, there is no question which Doby goes in my HOF collection!)

Cheers,

The Giant Mouse Man

tonyo
12-09-2020, 09:17 PM
I think I may just have to change my Net54 handle to “Giant Mouse-Man!”

(And now, there is no question which Doby goes in my HOF collection!)

Cheers,

The Giant Mouse Man

Your delta tau chi name is Giant Mouse Man

perezfan
12-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Maybe it was this fellow in the stands, watching Doby. He's featured on a pennant as well...

Everyone who sees it thinks it's more of a giant mouse than a Cub... So what better place to post it than here!

Belfast1933
12-10-2020, 05:04 PM
Respect!

Your delta tau chi name is Giant Mouse Man

StraightRaceCards
12-01-2023, 06:04 PM
Jeff shared the “Mouse Man” story on the Doby Card with me today and it gave me a good chuckle!

Hoping a few others will enjoy this thread and a laugh as well!

BobbyStrawberry
12-01-2023, 06:28 PM
I think it's her:

Section103
12-01-2023, 07:54 PM
The 51 Bowman Doby (extremely similar to the 50) is my *favorite* looking card bar none.

Fred
12-01-2023, 08:02 PM
I haven't sent anything to a TPG in a long time. 10 days = one month? Cards graded a "10" and then the corners get dinged and it's an "8". Yikes...

How many people scan their cards before sending them in? I think that would be something I would do if I ever submitted again.

Maybe it was this fellow in the stands, watching Doby. He's featured on a pennant as well...

Everyone who sees it thinks it's more of a giant mouse than a Cub... So what better place to post it than here!

You mean that isn't Mickey?