PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards

Snapolit1
11-30-2020, 03:56 PM
Why would an auction house not take credit cards? I know that it’s a lot more palatable sometimes to throw an unplanned buy on a credit card? Obvously there is a fee, so set your buyers premium at whatever, and then offer a discount for check, etc.

Is there some other reason not to take cards? Maybe I am missing something.

rats60
11-30-2020, 04:02 PM
Charge backs. Banks/Credit Card companies are very buyer friendly. Some auction houses do accept credit cards. Some have a limit of how much you can put on a credit card.

slightlyrounded
11-30-2020, 04:03 PM
Fees and probably the prospect of chargebacks should disputes arise. CC provider would almost certainly side with the buyer, even if auction house did everything according to well laid-out terms.

edhans
12-01-2020, 07:55 AM
Charge backs. Banks/Credit Card companies are very buyer friendly.

This.

Johnny630
12-01-2020, 08:00 AM
Returns and Charge Backs....altered cards in holders possible.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Definitely charge backs for me. As a small company if I got hit with a big charge back after I had already paid the consignor it could be disastrous. We do accept them for purchases under $2000.

sando69
12-01-2020, 12:12 PM
when i first read your post, i thot perhaps it was motivated by net54 member scott russell's (aquarian sports cards/birmingham auctioneers) VERY generous policy of accepting cc's WITHOUT any surcharge.
in addition to being a passionate hobbyist, and vocal participant on our board, scott is a class act with a high degree of integrity.
trying not to minimize my respect & appreciation for all the other quality auction options we have, by accepting cc's, scott offers me one more reason to support his efforts.
he is the antithesis of a "crazy uncle."

Leon
12-03-2020, 04:44 PM
One way or another the answer is almost always money. :)

Snapolit1
12-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Definitely charge backs for me. As a small company if I got hit with a big charge back after I had already paid the consignor it could be disastrous. We do accept them for purchases under $2000.

Yeah, that has to give you pause. I know the crowd here is above board, but no doubt scammers out there as anywhere else. Buyers remorse and all of a sudden some gripe suddenly materializes about the write up, the photos, etc.

Oscar_Stanage
12-03-2020, 06:03 PM
when i first read your post, i thot perhaps it was motivated by net54 member scott russell's (aquarian sports cards/birmingham auctioneers) VERY generous policy of accepting cc's WITHOUT any surcharge.
in addition to being a passionate hobbyist, and vocal participant on our board, scott is a class act with a high degree of integrity.
trying not to minimize my respect & appreciation for all the other quality auction options we have, by accepting cc's, scott offers me one more reason to support his efforts.
he is the antithesis of a "crazy uncle."

Birmingham is an incredible place to do business. Scott knows how treat his buyers. Trust is everything, particularly in the collectible world. If i need to write a check, I'll write a check.