PDA

View Full Version : T206's continue to roll.

Kingcobb
11-29-2020, 11:35 AM
Watching some of the auctions winding down over the weekend and amazed by prices for lower graded Hall of Famer and commons. Some have doubled in price since last year. I am not complaining I have sold a few for a nice profit. Any idea's where these new bidders are coming from? Example are Psa 2's Jennings Portrait and Joss pitching paid less than $80 are going for over $200 with buyers premium. Amazed and wishing I had held on to these in years past.

Daryl Fraley

maniac_73
11-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Watching some of the auctions winding down over the weekend and amazed by prices for lower graded Hall of Famer and commons. Some have doubled in price since last year. I am not complaining I have sold a few for a nice profit. Any idea's where these new bidders are coming from? Example are Psa 2's Jennings Portrait and Joss pitching paid less than $80 are going for over $200 with buyers premium. Amazed and wishing I had held on to these in years past.

Daryl Fraley

A rising tide lifts all boats and with the explosion on prices for the modern market there has been residual effects with Vintage.

Casey2296
11-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Similar to a real estate or art market cycle. New money is coming in and driving up prices, they're also moving down from modern to pre-war.
I see two different buyers, guys who have retired with disposable income that are re-visiting and finishing out their collections from 30-40 years ago, and speculation buyers.

The speculators are driving the market currently since we are in the early stage of the cycle, that will change once we get into the later stage and people are priced out, disillusioned with fakes, lose interest, etc. Right now there are more buyers than sellers, the time will come when there are more sellers than buyers, always does. I remember when California Impressionist Art was at its peak, I can now buy that same painting for 1/3 of the peak. Did I like the painting at its peak? You betcha, but I couldn't afford it. It looks nice on my wall now though.

It happened 30 years ago, it'll happen again. This cycle is exacerbated by TPG's and databases that have essentially placed a stock market model on the card market. I think we'll get to the late stage fairly quickly, after all, the decision to buy a baseball card, a dividend producing stock, or income producing property should be a fairly simple one.

The long part of this cycle will be the pain of sellers who overpaid in a hot market. Example the guy still trying to sell his Conseco rookie for what he paid for it. This one will be worse and some folks will lose a lot of money.

So what to do? Build your list, stick with it and pick up what's important to you within your budget. You have six cards you want? Maybe just pick two for now. I have 12 lots picked out between Birmingham & REA that I'll make a run at, I may not get any, I'd be happy with two. Am I willing to overpay given the current market? Maybe, we'll see come auction day. If I come up empty, no big deal, I still have my health and a suitcase full of great cards in my closet.

Stay out of the speculation game, you're not the smartest guy in the room and the House always has an advantage.

CobbSpikedMe
11-29-2020, 01:03 PM
Well said Phil. :)

Yoda
11-29-2020, 04:15 PM
I wonder what will happen when the Covid Epidemic is under control with people returning to their offices and restaurants and focusing on their jobs instead of collectibles. Perhaps their interest will dwindle and they will prioritize
things differently; a slow leak in the vintage card market when the inevitable correction occurs. But I do know one thing, and that is I am glad I am not positioned with 10 LaBron James RC's dazzled by all the shiny gold and silver stuff. I believe modern basketball will be crushed as the deep pools of capital supporting it will move somewhere else. These prices are not sustainable.

Johnny630
11-29-2020, 04:22 PM
Now is the time to sell and or consign not buy. Your cards have only increased in value if and when you sell for a gain.

ullmandds
11-29-2020, 04:28 PM
What am I missing here??????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206-Ty-Cobb-RED-PORTRAIT-PSA-5-EX/353284811762

Johnny630
11-29-2020, 04:32 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206-Ty-Cobb-RED-PORTRAIT-PSA-5-EX/353284811762

Pete they see Large trimmable borders. Sad but that’s what I see here.

ullmandds
11-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Pete they see Large trimmable borders. Sad but that’s what I see here.

already looks short top to bottom to me?

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-29-2020, 05:03 PM
already looks short top to bottom to me?

yeah I would have to agree with that.

Johnny630
11-29-2020, 05:17 PM
I was talking about that right border

ullmandds
11-29-2020, 05:18 PM
I was talking about that right border

im aware!

Rhotchkiss
11-29-2020, 07:01 PM

Shilling. And, that card is short as hell.

Edited- just saw all the other posts. So it’s a consensus - someone will way overpay PWCC for a trimmed card that PSA couldn’t catch. Confederacy of Dunces.

upstateNYmilb
11-30-2020, 07:41 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206-Ty-Cobb-RED-PORTRAIT-PSA-5-EX/353284811762PWCC [emoji23]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Mark
11-30-2020, 10:30 PM
A rising tide lifts all boats and with the explosion on prices for the modern market there has been residual effects with Vintage.

So I should start to expect my M116's and M101-4's to start going up in value?