PDA

View Full Version : T206 Wagner in Canada

samosa4u
11-25-2020, 10:47 AM
I'm a member of a few Facebook card groups. Majority of posts made in these groups are just crap and a waste of my time, but sometimes I'll see an interesting post here and there. One of the things I love doing is talking to old-timers about how the hobby was like before I was born. I love hearing things like "in 1976, I was driving down there ... he punched him in the face ... I pulled it out of the pack ... I got twenty-five dollars for it ... my wife threw it in the fireplace ... blah, blah, blah". I guess this is because I'm a history-freak (and why I love vintage cards so much!) Anyways, so one interesting character started posting about how he was at Angelo Savelli's house in the early 1980s, and how he almost got his T206 Honus Wagner in a trade. However, Angelo later changed his mind and backed out. And then a couple of guys were like "yeah, he still has it ... very old man he is ... blah, blah, blah." I was like "huh? A Canadian owns a T206 Wagner? I had no clue! And who the heck is Angelo Savelli?" This post just reminded me that there are so many things about our hobby that I am not aware of (even in my own country!) At the same time, I was also very proud that a Canadian owns this card! :)

Does anyone here know the story behind Angelo's Wagner? When did he get it and from whom? How does it look like? Isn't a PR example worth like two million USD now? And are there any other Canadians who own this card? :)

Leon
11-25-2020, 11:33 AM
I'm a member of a few Facebook card groups. Majority of posts made in these groups are just crap and a waste of my time, but sometimes I'll see an interesting post here and there. One of the things I love doing is talking to old-timers about how the hobby was like before I was born. I love hearing things like "in 1976, I was driving down there ... he punched him in the face ... I pulled it out of the pack ... I got twenty-five dollars for it ... my wife threw it in the fireplace ... blah, blah, blah". I guess this is because I'm a history-freak (and why I love vintage cards so much!) Anyways, so one interesting character started posting about how he was at Angelo Savelli's house in the early 1980s, and how he almost got his T206 Honus Wagner in a trade. However, Angelo later changed his mind and backed out. And then a couple of guys were like "yeah, he still has it ... very old man he is ... blah, blah, blah." I was like "huh? A Canadian owns a T206 Wagner? I had no clue! And who the heck is Angelo Savelli?" This post just reminded me that there are so many things about our hobby that I am not aware of (even in my own country!) At the same time, I was also very proud that a Canadian owns this card! :)

Does anyone here know the story behind Angelo's Wagner? When did he get it and from whom? How does it look like? Isn't a PR example worth like two million USD now? And are there any other Canadians who own this card? :)

I am not sure of the answer to your main question but a PR Wags today, depending on aesthetics, would be in the 1.3M range......Pocket change for some, unfortunately not me.

Seven
11-25-2020, 11:43 AM

Very interesting story, I'd suspect that there's cases similar to this across America/Canada. Collections, with high value cards, not graded, that are held by people in there 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. While I can't speak for the Wagner, I have a working theory that in 10-20 years we'll see a lot of 52 Mantle's start hitting the market. All freshly graded, because of people passing away or getting too old and having no family to hand it down to.

x2drich2000
11-25-2020, 11:52 AM
An extremely quick search came up with this info in the Orlando Sentinel from Feb 1988.

"WHAT A CARD. Angelo Savelli is a classic addict. To get his fix, the 50- year-old retired Canadian steel worker will pay almost any price, trade almost anything he owns. The genial man is not hooked on drugs. His unquenchable passion is bubble gum cards. For more than 40 years, Savelli has collected baseball cards; football cards, too. And hockey, boxing, wrestling, basketball and even lacrosse cards. He also holds precious old cards from the 1800s and some almost unfindable cards such as the 1909 Honus Wagner, worth as much as $50,000. Savelli's collection fills three rooms."

Link - Note: very ad heavy (https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1988-02-27-0020180102-story.html)

oldjudge
11-25-2020, 12:09 PM
Three auction houses have probably already started looking for him.

Fred
11-25-2020, 12:10 PM
hahahaha... probably very true...

clamendo
11-25-2020, 12:34 PM
Three auction houses have probably already started looking for him.

I know him very well and it’s long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irv
11-25-2020, 01:00 PM
An extremely quick search came up with this info in the Orlando Sentinel from Feb 1988.

"WHAT A CARD. Angelo Savelli is a classic addict. To get his fix, the 50- year-old retired Canadian steel worker will pay almost any price, trade almost anything he owns. The genial man is not hooked on drugs. His unquenchable passion is bubble gum cards. For more than 40 years, Savelli has collected baseball cards; football cards, too. And hockey, boxing, wrestling, basketball and even lacrosse cards. He also holds precious old cards from the 1800s and some almost unfindable cards such as the 1909 Honus Wagner, worth as much as $50,000. Savelli's collection fills three rooms."

Link - Note: very ad heavy (https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1988-02-27-0020180102-story.html)

Another quick Google search got me these, Angelo Savelli, "The King of Cards"
Looks like he had/does have some nice stuff!
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA925CA925&ei=cra-X874EsWntQbP85voAg&q=angelo+savelli+king+of+cards&oq=Angelo+Savelli&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgDMgUIABCwAzIJCAAQsAMQBxAeMgU ILhCwAzIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQs AMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHlAAWABgtCJ oAXAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEKwAEB&sclient=psy-ab

darwinbulldog
11-25-2020, 01:21 PM
I believe there was also a Canadian athlete of some sort who used to own one of them. I wanna say curling. Or maybe ice hockey. I don't really follow Canadian sports.

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-25-2020, 02:05 PM
I believe there was also a Canadian athlete of some sort who used to own one of them. I wanna say curling. Or maybe ice hockey. I don't really follow Canadian sports.

Cute. :)

Huysmans
11-26-2020, 07:03 AM

That is funny... especially considering if there was no Canada, there would likely be no hockey, basketball OR football for our American friends... at least in their current context... ONLY baseball.

You're welcome :D

byrone
11-26-2020, 07:20 AM
Hap Shaughnessy probably had one at some point

samosa4u
11-26-2020, 10:09 AM

Oh, wait! Does he have that popular blue card from 1979/80? Is it the one that you Americans drove up to astronomical levels?

I know him very well and it’s long gone.

Could you share a bit more info? What condition was it in? Was it sold raw? Is it graded now?

jcmtiger
11-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Another quick Google search got me these, Angelo Savelli, "The King of Cards"
Looks like he had/does have some nice stuff!
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA925CA925&ei=cra-X874EsWntQbP85voAg&q=angelo+savelli+king+of+cards&oq=Angelo+Savelli&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgDMgUIABCwAzIJCAAQsAMQBxAeMgU ILhCwAzIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQs AMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHjIHCAAQsAMQHlAAWABgtCJ oAXAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEKwAEB&sclient=psy-ab
Ad heavy is an understatement.

clamendo
11-26-2020, 10:45 AM
Oh, wait! Does he have that popular blue card from 1979/80? Is it the one that you Americans drove up to astronomical levels?

Could you share a bit more info? What condition was it in? Was it sold raw? Is it graded now?

It was sold years ago to an “American”Probably, when he sold off his baseball. I’m sure it was raw. Knowing Angelo it was probably in nice shape, he was focusing on high grade before it was fashionable.

samosa4u
11-26-2020, 10:53 AM
It was sold years ago to an “American”Probably, when he sold off his baseball. I’m sure it was raw. Knowing Angelo it was probably in nice shape, he was focusing on high grade before it was fashionable.

Nice shape, eh? Wow! He must have gotten a ton for it! On top of that, convert the US to CAD ... wooo!!

phlflyer1
11-26-2020, 10:56 AM

This is a great post. A Great One! :)

Natswin2019
11-26-2020, 11:04 AM
This is a great post. A Great One! :)

It took me until this post to get we were talking about Gretzky haha

MikeGarcia
11-26-2020, 12:10 PM
It took me until this post to get we were talking about Gretzky haha

...Who are the Gretzkys and which city do they play in ?...I don't follow Canadian stuff either.....

Huysmans
11-26-2020, 12:29 PM
...Who are the Gretzkys and which city do they play in ?...I don't follow Canadian stuff either.....

Is it you don't follow Canadian stuff by choice?
... or you aren't intelligent enough to do so? :D

paulmolive
11-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Sorry for reviving this old thread. Was just looking for information on Angelo. He once lived in the north end of Hamilton, Ontario and had a card shop briefly in the early 90s near his house. When I was 12 years old, I bought my first caramel and tobacco cards from him. An E95 Plank and a T206 Rube Waddell. Super nice fella. Fond memories indeed. Does anyone else in the Toronto area remember his shop? I think it was on Barton St. Can't believe he had a Wagner!

steve B
11-01-2021, 12:18 PM
That is funny... especially considering if there was no Canada, there would likely be no hockey, basketball OR football for our American friends... at least in their current context... ONLY baseball.

You're welcome :D

Ok, Hockey I get, but Basketball and Football?

Steve D
11-01-2021, 02:33 PM

Well, James Naismith was Canadian.

Steve

maniac_73
11-01-2021, 03:54 PM
Please let’s not turn this into a Canada vs America thread. As a Canadian Collector I love my American collector friends

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stampsfan
11-02-2021, 02:14 AM
Sorry for reviving this old thread. Was just looking for information on Angelo. He once lived in the north end of Hamilton, Ontario and had a card shop briefly in the early 90s near his house. When I was 12 years old, I bought my first caramel and tobacco cards from him. An E95 Plank and a T206 Rube Waddell. Super nice fella. Fond memories indeed. Does anyone else in the Toronto area remember his shop? I think it was on Barton St. Can't believe he had a Wagner!

I never went to his shop, living in Western Canada, but I do recall reading many stories about him in the collector mags that came out in the late 80's / early 90's. He was a legend in the card game here. I recall he basically spent what he had on vintage cards. He told lots of stories on how his wife was patient, but frustrated with him. That is until he started moving some of his stuff.

A name from the past...

Michael B
11-02-2021, 02:59 AM

Steve

Yes, but he had to come to the United States to 'invent' the game as the Canadians could only understand a netted stick with a ball (the official national game) or a stick with a puck. Bouncing a ball was foreign to them.

Not really knocking Canada, both sides of my family landed there 350-380 years ago and I believe I am probably distantly related to Rob Blake. His middle name, being his mother's maiden name, is my last name.

Huysmans
11-02-2021, 10:09 AM
Yes, but he had to come to the United States to 'invent' the game as the Canadians could only understand a netted stick with a ball (the official national game) or a stick with a puck. Bouncing a ball was foreign to them.

Not really knocking Canada, both sides of my family landed there 350-380 years ago and I believe I am probably distantly related to Rob Blake. His middle name, being his mother's maiden name, is my last name.

If Canadians "could only understand a netted stick with a ball or a stick with a puck", how did a Canadian singlehandedly invent the game of basketball?? Being on American soil suddenly altered his ability and inventiveness?

The whole "Canadians could only understand" also disagrees with the fact that baseball was played in eastern Canada before most of the western US, with teams in Ontario (London) beating American clubs in the International Association in the 1870s including Pittsburgh. Additionally, cricket in Canada - like in the US - was also the most popular game during the formative years of the nation before the advent of the modern big four sports.

You're not "knocking" Canada, but you're completely ignorant about it.

Huysmans
11-02-2021, 10:09 AM

It's simple... no Canadian James Naismith, no basketball.

Regarding football, the early game played by US colleges resembled European association football (soccer) which included it's rules, with only Harvard adopting the ability to carry the ball instead of just kicking it, something only seen in rugby during the era.

Harvard famously played a two-game series against Montreal's McGill in 1874, with this the very first games of what would become modern football (the first game was played under the Harvard "Boston rules", the second one was played under McGill rules, and is the first rugby-style football game played in the United States). The Canadians also used a more oblong-shaped ball akin to a modern football, while Harvard still used basically a round "soccer" ball.

Additional important aspects were taken from the Canadian game....

"Harvard quickly took a liking to the rugby game, and its use of the try which, until that time, was not used in American football. The try would later evolve into the score known as the touchdown"

So again, without Canada, there would likely be no Hockey, basketball OR "American" football as we know them.

butchie_t
11-02-2021, 10:12 AM
Hap Shaughnessy probably had one at some point

2 - I saw them both. :D

maniac_73
11-02-2021, 10:25 AM
We all know Hockey was invented in England not Canada right?

Huysmans
11-02-2021, 10:29 AM
We all know Hockey was invented in England not Canada right?

Field hockey, yes.
Ice hockey, no.

Of the big four North American sports, only basketball was "invented", the rest evolved from other sports...

clamendo
11-02-2021, 10:29 AM

What do want to know and I’ll ask him?

D. Bergin
11-02-2021, 10:36 AM
LOL, a throwaway joke turns into a slowburn pissing contest on Net54, a full year in the making.

Only in Americanada! :)

mrreality68
11-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Field hockey, yes.
Ice hockey, no.

Of the big four North American sports, only basketball was "invented", the rest evolved from other sports...

Actually I thought that Cornhole was ahead of Hockey as a Big Four Sport.
At least in the Ratings and Arena Attendance

Huysmans
11-02-2021, 12:50 PM
Actually I thought that Cornhole was ahead of Hockey as a Big Four Sport.
At least in the Ratings and Arena Attendance

You're confusing the sport with "cornholing", which is definitely more popular in the US :p

steve B
11-03-2021, 11:00 AM

Steve

I didn't know that. Good to learn something new.

Exhibitman
11-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Please let’s not turn this into a Canada vs America thread. As a Canadian Collector I love my American collector friends

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We love you too, especially your OPC baseball issues.

samosa4u
11-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Ohhhh Caaannnaadddaaaa ...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/a0/32/56a032a2ff5bcce08778f3e42cb51afb.jpg

todeen
11-03-2021, 09:42 PM

Not really knocking Canada, both sides of my family landed there 350-380 years ago and I believe I am probably distantly related to Rob Blake. His middle name, being his mother's maiden name, is my last name.My maternal grandmother was born in Chicago. Her grandfather was born in the middle of nowhere Ontario(?). I couldn't believe I found him on a Canadian census.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

vthobby
11-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Ohhhh Caaannnaadddaaaa ...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/a0/32/56a032a2ff5bcce08778f3e42cb51afb.jpg

Is that the elusive "Barbie Red Back?

:eek:

Mike