PDA

View Full Version : Compromised TPG holders

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-19-2020, 11:30 AM
Anyone hearing about any problems with SGC's brand new holders? I have a potential consignment but so much of it is fake garbage that I distrust stuff that I normally wouldn't worry about. Anyone hearing any rumors about problems with SGC's new slabs???

Casey2296
11-19-2020, 06:45 PM
The amount of empty professional unsealed graded card slabs for sale on e-bay is alarming.

BRoberts
11-19-2020, 07:36 PM
I assume you don’t have the holders in hand. If that is the case, in my opinion this is an irresponsible post. Are you just going off photos? To cast doubt on SGC holders when you have little solid evidence isn’t fair to SGC. How would you feel about a thread that asks if anyone has heard anything about shill bidding in Birmingham Auctions? You could have handled this in a more professional manner, in my opinion.

Bill Roberts

BRoberts
11-19-2020, 07:38 PM
duplicate

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-19-2020, 07:49 PM
I'm asking a question, not even remotely making an accusation. I need information and this group is one of the places I turn to because there are many people here who have their ear to the ground.

Even re-reading my initial post I don't know how you can take it as a slight against SGC.

As far as your "walk a mile in their shoes" type question. Go ahead and ask. I have nothing to hide, and if there are concerns I would be happy to address them. As a business owner if there's a concern about my "product" I welcome the chance to address those concerns. If you accuse me I might come out a little hot, but if you ask an honest question I'm happy to engage. I would've approached SGC directly but pretty much everyone I talked to said they can't get any communications out of SGC right now. Hence a public question.

BRoberts
11-19-2020, 07:58 PM
I'm asking a question, not even remotely making an accusation. I need information and this group is one of the places I turn to because there are many people here who have their ear to the ground.

Even re-reading my initial post I don't know how you can take it as a slight against SGC.

As far as your "walk a mile in their shoes" type question. Go ahead and ask. I have nothing to hide, and if there are concerns I would be happy to address them. As a business owner if there's a concern about my "product" I welcome the chance to address those concerns. If you accuse me I might come out a little hot, but if you ask an honest question I'm happy to engage. I would've approached SGC directly but pretty much everyone I talked to said they can't get any communications out of SGC right now. Hence a public question.

So you did not even attempt to reach out to SGC simply because you “heard” other people were unsuccessful in their attempts to contact them? Instead, you thought it was better to link SGC with possibly compromised holders in a public post? I hope you use better judgement in other areas of your business. If I were you, I would be hoping SGC management is so busy they will not see this thread.

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-19-2020, 08:11 PM
I guess we're different, frankly I HOPE they see this thread. I have tens of thousands of dollars in SGC cards in my current auction. It's not like I am rooting against them or anything weird, and every grading company has had problems with unscrupulous people counterfeiting or doctoring their products. Nobody (that I know of) accused the companies of wrong doing, just as I am not accusing SGC of anything. And again I am asking a question not "linking" them with anything.

Eric72
11-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Anyone hearing about any problems with SGC's brand new holders? I have a potential consignment but so much of it is fake garbage that I distrust stuff that I normally wouldn't worry about. Anyone hearing any rumors about problems with SGC's new slabs???

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

You have a potential consignment
That group includes counterfeits
The same group also includes items that appear to be SGC graded cards
You ordinarily trust SGC holders
Due the counterfeits, and news that broke recently about fake BGS holders, you're performing due diligence
This due diligence includes asking around about the new holders SGC is using

Unless I missed the mark on something, it sounds like you're protecting your customers' best interests.

Rhotchkiss
11-19-2020, 08:38 PM
correct me if i'm wrong here.

you have a potential consignment
that group includes counterfeits
the same group also includes items that appear to be sgc graded cards
you ordinarily trust sgc holders
due the counterfeits, and news that broke recently about fake bgs holders, you're performing due diligence
this due diligence includes asking around about the new holders sgc is using

unless i missed the mark on something, it sounds like you're protecting your customers' best interests.

+1000

Casey2296
11-19-2020, 08:48 PM
The only crime SGC has committed is retiring their green label in favor of that loud overbearing 72pt type grading number that shouts "look at me instead of the card".

A crime against design if not humanity itself...

JollyElm
11-19-2020, 09:04 PM
TROLL ALERT!!!!! TROLL ALERT!!!!! TROLL ALERT!!!!!

God, as if there was ANYTHING in the OP's question that would warrant someone going after him. What a joke!!!!!!

BRoberts
11-19-2020, 09:21 PM
I do not think I am trying to be a troll, mainly because I don't know exactly what that means. I just think that there was a better way to try to get an answer than asking if there are "problems with SGC's new slabs." I think any slab can be compromised, i.e. have a "problem." And then to admit that there wasn't even an effort to contact SGC? I'd have handled it differently, but good for the OP that respondents here think he's in the right taking the route that he did.

Casey2296
11-19-2020, 09:43 PM
I do not think I am trying to be a troll, mainly because I don't know exactly what that means. I just think that there was a better way to try to get an answer than asking if there are "problems with SGC's new slabs." I think any slab can be compromised, i.e. have a "problem." And then to admit that there wasn't even an effort to contact SGC? I'd have handled it differently, but good for the OP that respondents here think he's in the right taking the route that he did.

You're not being a troll, but you're also not recognizing the current fraud that is rampant in the market. Scott's business is protecting people like me from fraud so whatever steps he has to take to protect me as a buyer is greatly appreciated. I was able to get ahold of someone at SGC but it was about submissions, not the integrity of their slabs. I would assume that would be a higher level discussion. I can say that Grifters are always ahead of the game looking to take advantage of honest people like you and me.

That's one reason that this place is special, its loaded with people who have integrity.

bnorth
11-20-2020, 07:03 AM
So you did not even attempt to reach out to SGC simply because you “heard” other people were unsuccessful in their attempts to contact them? Instead, you thought it was better to link SGC with possibly compromised holders in a public post? I hope you use better judgement in other areas of your business. If I were you, I would be hoping SGC management is so busy they will not see this thread.

By what stretch of the imagination would contacting SGC help in any way?:confused: I agree with Darren on your posts.

Due the counterfeits, and news that broke recently about fake BGS holders, you're performing due diligence

Unless I missed the mark on something, it sounds like you're protecting your customers' best interests.

Didn't know about the fake BGS holders, thanks.

hcv123
11-20-2020, 08:30 AM
Perfectly appropriate to ask the question that was asked. I would like a little further clarity on what "garbage" was in the SGC holders you saw? In hand or pics?

SGC would have a vested interest to deny any problem with their holder and a further vested interest to fix any problem quietly, which if in fact there is a problem, I hope they do. Another possibility is someone faking the holder entirely - on another thread a poster said you could buy the equipment needed pretty easily to seal your own cards. I would look for differences in quality/design against a known good holder.

Also hadn't heard about the BGS holders - is there a thread on them somewhere?

Re: BRoberts - I see you just joined in March - welcome - I think there is a HUGE difference between asking a question and making an accusation. The OP was a question. As pointed out by those before me - imo a legitimate one by a business owner looking to protect his interests - which in part is protecting the interests of his customer base (many of whom are members here). This board has been a wealth of information and an incredible resource. Often times posts - questions/statements, etc are somewhat blunt or to the point. 2 words that I believe rule the net 54 boards are integrity and transparency. Any exceptions to those that exist here are usually found out and removed.

wazoo
11-20-2020, 08:59 AM
perfectly appropriate to ask the question that was asked. I would like a little further clarity on what "garbage" was in the sgc holders you saw? In hand or pics?

Sgc would have a vested interest to deny any problem with their holder and a further vested interest to fix any problem quietly, which if in fact there is a problem, i hope they do. Another possibility is someone faking the holder entirely - on another thread a poster said you could buy the equipment needed pretty easily to seal your own cards. I would look for differences in quality/design against a known good holder.

Also hadn't heard about the bgs holders - is there a thread on them somewhere?

Re: Broberts - i see you just joined in march - welcome - i think there is a huge difference between asking a question and making an accusation. The op was a question. As pointed out by those before me - imo a legitimate one by a business owner looking to protect his interests - which in part is protecting the interests of his customer base (many of whom are members here). This board has been a wealth of information and an incredible resource. Often times posts - questions/statements, etc are somewhat blunt or to the point. 2 words that i believe rule the net 54 boards are integrity and transparency. Any exceptions to those that exist here are usually found out and removed.

+1000000

bnorth
11-20-2020, 09:00 AM
Here are some pics of a compromised SGC slab.

SGC slabs frost up pretty bad when cracked open,this is a good thing.

If look at the actual seem with a good loupe or a top lighted microscope(I use) you can easily see a SGC slab that has been cracked.

I couldn't get a good pic of the seem but once you see one you will know exactly what to look for. Sorry for the bad picture. You will notice the white line at the seem. That should be clear. With a good loupe or top lighted microscope you can see the little chips from being cracked open. I will try to get a better pic later.

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-20-2020, 10:19 AM

That's how I viewed it, but everyone is different. Thanks for summing up my predicament.

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Perfectly appropriate to ask the question that was asked. I would like a little further clarity on what "garbage" was in the SGC holders you saw? In hand or pics?

The "garbage" wasn't in SGC holders, but the fact that he didn't show me one legit card made me worry, how could the particular $20k card he had in an SGC holder be legit when nothing else was.

Eric72
11-20-2020, 10:26 AM
RE: fake BGS holders, there are quite a few YouTube videos on the subject. Other social media platforms have picked this up, too. Pictured here is a reply by Beckett.

steve B
11-20-2020, 12:16 PM
The "garbage" wasn't in SGC holders, but the fact that he didn't show me one legit card made me worry, how could the particular $20k card he had in an SGC holder be legit when nothing else was.

That's a strange situation.

Did you get to see the graded card? Or just the fakes?

I've seen a few very odd collections that had one nice thing. I'm sure you have too.

A friend had me look at his card collection before giving it to a nephew. I never knew he collected. Went over with a Beckett, even though I've known him for years and we trust each other.
Total collection = 5 cards. All g-vg from the early 70's.Including a Schmidt rookie, which was a fairly big deal at the time.

A small stamp collection I bought that was mostly junk. The stuf that's so valuless you never even thing it might be fake (it wasn't, it was just nearly worthless. ) Except right on one page there was a random example of a really rare item in nearly perfect condition. And it was 30 years older than anything else there.

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-20-2020, 07:44 PM
Phone pictures of everything.

hcv123
11-21-2020, 05:58 AM
1 - could always ask to see the SGC card in hand and carefully scrutinize to make a decision.....or

2 - listen to your "fraud meter" - and with the rest of the "garbage" the guy showed you stay away from him - regardless of the possibility of a good card or two - fruit of the poison tree.....

Money can always be made, integrity must be carefully guarded.