PDA

View Full Version : Scammer: Nathaniel Valencia

Treakle23
11-17-2020, 05:14 AM
Do not purchase any product from Nathaniel Valencia. He claimed he had postcards from his father’s estate and has yet to ship items. I found out later he took images off of Worthpoint. Worthpoint doesn’t typically show-up in on-line searches unless you go to the Worthpoint site. If any one sends you images of items, please check Worthpoint to make sure they weren’t taken from there. I don’t even know if Nathaniel Valencia is the seller’s real name. His story checked out because I found an obituary matching his father’s. Beware.

Treakle23
11-17-2020, 05:18 AM
The seller also took images from Collector’s Universe Forum photos.

MikeGarcia
11-17-2020, 06:40 AM
Do not purchase any product from Nathaniel Valencia. He claimed he had postcards from his father’s estate and has yet to ship items. I found out later he took images off of Worthpoint. Worthpoint doesn’t typically show-up in on-line searches unless you go to the Worthpoint site. If any one sends you images of items, please check Worthpoint to make sure they weren’t taken from there. I don’t even know if Nathaniel Valencia is the seller’s real name. His story checked out because I found an obituary matching his father’s. Beware.

How long have you been waiting and what is the response when you "ask seller a question" or "contact seller" ?......newbie seller ?...

Treakle23
11-17-2020, 09:30 AM
How long have you been waiting and what is the response when you "ask seller a question" or "contact seller" ?......newbie seller ?...

The seller initially said he was waiting to mail them. Then, he said he would send more images of items he wanted to sell. Then he stopped answering. I’ve been waiting two weeks for him to ship and over a week for a tracking number. No response in over a week.

buymycards
11-17-2020, 10:06 AM
So, was this an eBay transaction? Craigslist? Facebook? How did you pay - PayPal?, Credit card?

Treakle23
11-17-2020, 10:09 AM
I paid via PayPal “Friends and Family” as I have done repeatedly over the years without an issue (through email and texting). I guess I was lucky in the past, but not now. I’ve always had sellers be upfront and honest. This was a first. I will have to be extremely careful from now on. I’ve collected since 1981. Never happened before.

Throttlesteer
11-17-2020, 10:21 AM
Outside of this board, I pay the extra 3%. Too many scammers these days.

ullmandds
11-17-2020, 10:25 AM
it's gotten really bad out there...many are trying to take advantage. Always protect yourself...PP goods and services.

Treakle23
11-17-2020, 11:36 AM
I’ll have to from now on. Thanks for the advice.

Jim65
11-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Outside of this board, I pay the extra 3%. Too many scammers these days.

I even do it here.

I was burned on a different forum by a longtime member with an impeccable reputation. Package was lost and basically got the runaround, then he disappeared from the board. Now I pay by G&S and add the fees, always.

chalupacollects
11-17-2020, 02:35 PM
I paid via PayPal “Friends and Family” as I have done repeatedly over the years without an issue (through email and texting). I guess I was lucky in the past, but not now. I’ve always had sellers be upfront and honest. This was a first. I will have to be extremely careful from now on. I’ve collected since 1981. Never happened before.

Try charging it back through your bank as fraud...

Treakle23
11-17-2020, 09:05 PM
I did. They rejected it.

maniac_73
11-18-2020, 08:29 AM
He was trying to scam here though our PM system before Leon banned him

bnorth
11-18-2020, 08:37 AM
Try charging it back through your bank as fraud...

As Fraud.:confused: Against who, yourself for screwing PP out of their fees.

ramram
11-18-2020, 03:06 PM
He was trying to scam here though our PM system before Leon banned him

Does Leon have any useful information on him at all (city, phone number, etc)? I'm guessing that's a no, but some crooks are pretty dumb.

Rob M

Leon
11-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Does Leon have any useful information on him at all (city, phone number, etc)? I'm guessing that's a no, but some crooks are pretty dumb.

Rob M

The person never registered through the system. They had 0 posts. Let it be known that anyone with 0 posts and brand new should need to have some good references to do a deal. Or any member can PM me and I will always try to help. Had I gotten a PM before this happened it wouldn't have happened.

ramram
11-18-2020, 03:47 PM
The person never registered through the system. They had 0 posts. Let it be known that anyone with 0 posts and brand new should need to have some good references to do a deal. Or any member can PM me and I will always try to help. Had I gotten a PM before this happened it wouldn't have happened.

So then he wouldn't have ever actually been able to PM anybody on the board, correct?

Rob M

Leon
11-18-2020, 04:03 PM
So then he wouldn't have ever actually been able to PM anybody on the board, correct?

Rob M

Apparently he did pm the OP without registering and being approved. Caveat emptor. I doubt any system is foolproof.

ramram
11-18-2020, 04:04 PM
Apparently he did pm without registering and being approved. Caveat emptor. I doubt any system is foolproof.

Good to know. I did not know that was possible.

Rob M

White Borders
11-18-2020, 04:46 PM
Good to know. I did not know that was possible.

Rob M

fyi: Another Scammer on Our Forum - Beware on the BST (https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291453)

bnorth
11-18-2020, 04:48 PM

Rob M

I know you used to be able to PM other members before Leon approves you to actually post. I had a long time hobby friend try and join a couple years ago and he PMed me before he got approved to post.

Tao_Moko
11-18-2020, 05:58 PM
There are 6 threads on the main page all related to scammers. That is pretty telling that it's rampant.

Leon
11-18-2020, 06:07 PM
I know you used to be able to PM other members before Leon approves you to actually post. I had a long time hobby friend try and join a couple years ago and he PMed me before he got approved to post.

That might be the case and I might have even known and forgot.

Just be careful, everyone :)

Every thread needs a card....

https://luckeycards.com/t206jennings.jpg