PDA

View Full Version : Cuban League Photo Effa Manley?

JimStinson
11-14-2020, 10:21 AM
This is an original snapshot of what I think is the Marianao team taken in Cuba. I am almost certain the woman in the photo is Hall of Fame member Effa Manley but not 100% certain. Opinions? Also, does anyone recognize anyone else of note in the photo? Thanks in advance

GeoPoto
11-14-2020, 11:05 AM
The big lug in the catcher gear looks like could be Josh Gibson.

triwak
11-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Jim, I'm curious to know why you feel certain that the woman is Effa Manley? This photo seems to be maybe 1930s-40s era, and the pictured girl appears much too young (late teens - early 20s). Have you seen any other photos of Manley at this young age? I never have - only pics of her in her 40s - 50s. Also, I don't recognize any of the other players, but other folks here might. The catcher is definitely NOT Josh Gibson. (Perhaps that was a joke, ha)?! Regardless, it's a really cool photo.

Klrdds
11-14-2020, 01:20 PM
I don't think it's Effa Manley because the girl in this photo looks teens to twenties in age which would put this photo date to maybe mid 1920s at the latest and this photo doesn't look to be from that era .Also from looking at your photo at +500 % on my computer and looking at pictures of Effa I don't see much commonaility in the faces or facial structure.
I could very well be wrong but maybe some of the photo guys could be more help.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Lv4AAOSwf2Zd-6iR/s-l1600.jpg
Photo listed on eBay ( yes I know it's eBay , but the HoF has 1 early photo but it's not a facial shot ) seems to be the earliest Effa Manley photo out there.
Link to the whole listing , if interested:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Newark-Eagles-Owner-EFFA-MANLEY-Glossy-8x10-Photo-Negro-League-Poster-HOF-06-/193600453801

JimStinson
11-14-2020, 01:32 PM
Thanks, yes I know it's not Gibson in the photo. But I think based on the others that came with it that it's, 1940's maybe. My daughter looked at multiple photos of Manley and said it's her. The mystery is I've never seen a photo with long hair and what would a woman be doing posed with what is starting to look like a very young group of players.

packs
11-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Do you have any reason to believe she was involved with Cuban baseball? The bios I've read don't put her in organized baseball until she married her husband and her association is tied to the Eagles.

Jason19th
11-14-2020, 02:01 PM
I do not think that looks at all like Effa. For one dispite the fact that she was able to “pass” and an African American woman, she was actually 100% white (she was the biological child of her White mother and a white man that her mother had an affair with). The woman in this picture has very Latina features. Also I have never come across anything which suggests that Effa was involved in any Caribbean or Mexican baseball. Finally I have seen many photos where teams would pose with local beauty contest winners. My guess is that is what is going on here

Jason19th
11-14-2020, 02:09 PM
I have an alternate theory. If that’s a D on the uniforms it could be a Dominican Stars team during the Trujillo era. If that’s the case Trujillo had a mistress who looks a lot like the women in the photo. There is an image of the woman in the book the Pitcher and the Dictator. I will have to find my copy to check