PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd introduce myself

richlonghorn
11-11-2020, 09:20 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rich Swor and have collected off and on since I was a kid. (I'm currently 60 years old). Quit around 1990 and then in 2001 my then 7 year old daughter said "Hey dad, I want to collect baseball cards". So I bought 2 boxes of 2001 Topps and guess who became re-addicted and guess who quickly lost interest. Anyway, I started buying the Topps Heritage product from 2001 to around 2014 as these reminded me of the cards I collected as a kid.

I've recently started setting up at local card shows and have some of my better cards in at PSA. Looks like something fun to do as I approach retirement and then something fun to do after I retire.

I've been lurking here for about the last 2 years trying to figure out the hobby. Don't know if I'll ever figure out all the new stuff.

Regards,
Rich

Leon
11-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rich Swor and have collected off and on since I was a kid. (I'm currently 60 years old). Quit around 1990 and then in 2001 my then 7 year old daughter said "Hey dad, I want to collect baseball cards". So I bought 2 boxes of 2001 Topps and guess who became re-addicted and guess who quickly lost interest. Anyway, I started buying the Topps Heritage product from 2001 to around 2014 as these reminded me of the cards I collected as a kid.

I've recently started setting up at local card shows and have some of my better cards in at PSA. Looks like something fun to do as I approach retirement and then something fun to do after I retire.

I've been lurking here for about the last 2 years trying to figure out the hobby. Don't know if I'll ever figure out all the new stuff.

Regards,
Rich

Welcome, Rich. I am 59 and barely care to figure out the new stuff. I don't collect it so it doesn't interest me. I am sure those that do love it and that is great. To each their own as there are a million+ ways to collect. Have fun....

chlankf
11-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Welcome Rich.

ALR-bishop
11-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Welcome Rich

Exhibitman
11-11-2020, 09:49 AM
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/giphy.gif

Gobucsmagic74
11-11-2020, 09:52 AM
The real question is, are you here to make friends or sell cards? Kidding. Welcome to the board Rich!

wondo
11-11-2020, 10:06 AM
Welcome!!!

clydepepper
11-11-2020, 10:50 AM
Welcome, Youngster.

Belfast1933
11-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Welcome aboard! I’m a similar vintage (a few years behind you) and have a similar story... I’ll bet a lot of members can relate.

I’m a relative newbie here too but can tell you that the members I’ve “met” are not only mad knowledgeable, they are always willing to share experience, advice etc.

Just last week, I sent a message to 2-3 members who seemed like good guys who might have helpful advice for a T-206 purchase - within a couple of hours, I had 3 great responses with tons of good ideas and perspective which helped guide my decision (did NOT buy the card btw)

Enjoy the forum, get active and ask questions, offer opinions, etc. It really has added depth to my enjoyment of the hobby

Jeff

Jim65
11-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Welcome Rich

ClementeFanOh
11-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Welcome aboard, Rich!- Trent King

JollyElm
11-11-2020, 03:25 PM
Welcome, Rich.
Newbie tip, be careful about offering way overpriced mid-to-lower grade Yankees superstars for exactly $1,800. It won't go well for you. :rolleyes:

(That's a bit of an inside joke.)

philliesfan
11-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Hi Rich. Welcome aboard.
Bob

Oscar_Stanage
11-11-2020, 06:34 PM
this board is great.

I have sent a a lot of random PMs to the more seasoned collectors, and always get great answers. I am a smarter collector just from reading this board. The people love collecting so they will take the time to share their knowledge.

I understand there has to be a card on every board...

this is from the "Scissors Collection"

todeen
11-11-2020, 10:35 PM
So I bought 2 boxes of 2001 Topps......

Regards,
Rich

Welcome. 2001 was a very memorable year of collecting for me. I bought into the hype of Topps 50th Anniversary set. Ichiro was a Rookie, and I lived in WA State. Seattle had the All-Star game and I convinced my dad to take me to FanFest for the card show (I was 15 yo). I saved up for months to attend. What a great year.

I love this forum. I've started to realize that I am more memorabilia oriented than card oriented, and all the threads on here for memorabilia are fantastic. I've connected with fellow Reds fans, and we ooh and ahh over each others finds. I've even bought four pennants since I found this site. I never in a million years thought I'd be buying pennants.

Welcome to the board!