PDA

View Full Version : November Pick ups

bnorth
11-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Got this piece of junk in the mail today. More of a very short term pick up. Been looking for a decent "show" or game issued Wade Boggs bat with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on the barrel for some time. I paid a little more than I wanted for this one but who hasn't done that.

Seller posted a few pics of the bat but not a single one of the area with the bleeping "3000 Hits 90 of 500 August 7 1999" part. Of course that horrible inscription makes it worth considerably less than what I paid.

So this is kinda a pick up post and kinda venting post.:)

Will be filling a NAD claim later tonight unless the seller offers a significant partial refund.

EDIT: To add that I worked out a partial refund based on a recent sale of the same style bat except different serial number.

Leon
11-04-2020, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't be happy about that either. Glad yawl worked it out.

daves_resale_shop
11-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Happy to add this rice to the collection... finishes up my project of the Sox top 5 left fielders of all time....

guy3050
11-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Just got this one back from framing , Charlie Lea 1981 game worn jersey , with ticket from his May 10th 1981 no-hitter

mr2686
11-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Just got this one back from framing , Charlie Lea 1981 game worn jersey , with ticket from his May 10th 1981 no-hitter

Nice framing...but where's the John Boccabella or Coco Laboy memorabilia? LOL

guy3050
11-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Nice framing...but where's the John Boccabella or Coco Laboy memorabilia? LOL

Here you go

bnorth
11-04-2020, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't be happy about that either. Glad yawl worked it out.

Thanks, I have been super lucky long term. I have made countless buy/sell/trade deals over the last 3+ decades and have only really got screwed once. BLEEB Kruk Cards. Had a ton of small things happen but for the most part they all worked out in the end.

Chris Counts
11-04-2020, 06:23 PM
I found this beauty on eBay recently, and I was surprised no one else placed a bid on it. It's a mini bat signed in fountain pen by the 1934 Boston Braves.

Bumpus Jones
11-04-2020, 07:18 PM
That's great Chris. Congrats!

sicollector1954
11-05-2020, 02:25 PM
Was lucky enough to pic up an Adirondack 1968-70 game used Bob Gibson bat...tons of use...needs some love but hopefully will take care of it in the near future.

sicollector1954
11-05-2020, 02:28 PM
I believe this is a pretty rare bat considering being a pitcher not to mention that he was MVP 2 of these 3 years....faded 45 on the knob end of an 82 A model bat...35 inches...33.4 oz.

ooo-ribay
11-05-2020, 02:44 PM
I believe this is a pretty rare bat considering being a pitcher not to mention that he was MVP 2 of these 3 years....faded 45 on the knob end of an 82 A model bat...35 inches...33.4 oz.

Great bat!

I just picked up a pocket sked from a fellow collector. He added a John Pregenzer Fan Club card. John was with the Giants in 1963 and 1964. That was his entire MLB career. He pitched 27.1 innings and retired with a 2-0 record. The guy who sent me the fan club card also emailed some other stuff related to the club. :p

JoeDfan
11-05-2020, 03:12 PM
Great stuff guys. I love that Rice bat, and the Gibson.

It is ironic that I would see a Rice bat this month, because I just sold my Rice bat to pay for this SWEET pickup. I hated to do it, but there was no way I was passing this one by.

A pro model Willie Mays has been on my want list for a looooonnng time, but I just never had the opportunity.
I am stoked to have it.

mr2686
11-05-2020, 03:51 PM
Here you go

Now you're talkin'. :)

ooo-ribay
11-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Great bat!

I just picked up a pocket sked from a fellow collector. He added a John Pregenzer Fan Club card. John was with the Giants in 1963 and 1964. That was his entire MLB career. He pitched 27.1 innings and retired with a 2-0 record. The guy who sent me the fan club card also emailed some other stuff related to the club. :p

Not sure anyone cares, but besides Pete Rozelle, other club members included Norman Mailer, Pierre Salinger, Helen Gurley Brown and Pirates GM Joe Brown. Dues were one dollar. :p

bnorth
11-06-2020, 08:03 AM

It is ironic that I would see a Rice bat this month, because I just sold my Rice bat to pay for this SWEET pickup. I hated to do it, but there was no way I was passing this one by.

A pro model Willie Mays has been on my want list for a looooonnng time, but I just never had the opportunity.
I am stoked to have it.

Great bat, some black ink would really make the lettering stick out again.:D

daves_resale_shop
11-06-2020, 08:26 AM

I am stoked to have it.

Sick bat Sean! Congrats! Now you just need a Duke!

JoeDfan
11-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Great bat, some black ink would really make the lettering stick out again.:D

Ummmmmmm....no. :D

JoeDfan
11-06-2020, 08:43 AM
Sick bat Sean! Congrats! Now you just need a Duke!

Thanks! Duke is on my list, and a Hank Aaron. But those can wait for another day...

Scott Garner
11-07-2020, 06:38 AM
Although board member and all-around good guy Hank Thomas may not recall this, perhaps 10-15 years ago I purchased WaJo's wife Hazel's personal ticket that she used to attend Walter's 20th anniversary in baseball ceremony in August of 1927. This ticket was part of the Walter Johnson family scrapbook.
This has always been one of my favorite tickets, but I haven't had a great way to display it until recently.

A few weeks ago, Hank offered several WaJo photos for sale in the BST section.
I was immediately taken by a circa 1915 studio photo that featured individual photos of Walter, wife Hazel and their 1st born, Walter Jr.

After studying it's composition, I was convinced that this photo could pull together several WaJo related items that I've wanted to frame.

Anyway, by using some creative matting and archival materials, I was able to utilize the studio photos, pull in Hazel's 20th anniversary ticket and also use a nice WaJo cut that I've had for 15-20 years. The best part is that I have kept the studio photo intact for posterity.

Check out the end result. I'm happy to now be able to enjoy this daily as it now resides on my office wall. :cool::)

mr2686
11-07-2020, 07:34 AM
Wow Scott, I really like what you did there. Great use of matting for sure.

bnorth
11-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Although board member and all-around good guy Hank Thomas may not recall this, perhaps 10-15 years ago I purchased WaJo's wife Hazel's personal ticket that she used to attend Walter's 20th anniversary in baseball ceremony in August of 1927. This ticket was part of the Walter Johnson family scrapbook.
This has always been one of my favorite tickets, but I haven't had a great way to display it until recently.

I was immediately taken by a circa 1915 studio photo that featured individual photos of Walter, wife Hazel and their 1st born, Walter Jr.

After studying it's composition, I was convinced that this photo could pull together several WaJo related items that I've wanted to frame.

Anyway, by using some creative matting and archival materials, I was able to utilize the studio photos, pull in Hazel's 20th anniversary ticket and also use a nice WaJo cut that I've had for 15-20 years. The best part is that I have kept the studio photo intact for posterity.

Check out the end result. I'm happy to now be able to enjoy this daily as it now resides on my office wall. :cool::)

The finished product is beautiful.

Lordstan
11-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Very well done.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Scott Garner
11-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it ;)

Topnotchsy
11-07-2020, 10:26 PM
Acquired this pair of 1937 World Series Game-Used lineup cards.

1937 World Series Game 2. Yankees won 8-1.

Yankees lineup card is signed by HOF manager Joe McCarthy and the lineup featured Hall-of-Famers Gehrig, DiMaggio, Dickey, Lazzeri and Red Ruffing who pitched a complete game to get the win.

Giants is signed by HOF manager Bill Terry and includes Hall-of-Famer Mel Ott. On the mound for the Giants was rookie and 20-game winner Cliff Melton.

Topnotchsy
11-08-2020, 04:41 PM

That's really remarkable. Love how it came together, and 15 years later you have a one-of-a-kind, historic piece.

JoeDfan
11-08-2020, 04:54 PM
That Johnson piece is AMAZING!

And, I love those lineup cards. Very cool!

UKCardGuy
11-10-2020, 03:46 PM
There's some great pickups in this thread.

I was pleased to win an auction for these 3 beauties yesterday.

Hankphenom
11-10-2020, 04:52 PM

Great display, Scott! As you know, I'm a big fan of putting stuff up on the walls so I can see it every day. You've created a great piece there. And thanks for the kind words!

Scott Garner
11-10-2020, 06:57 PM
Great display, Scott! As you know, I'm a big fan of putting stuff up on the walls so I can see it every day. You've created a great piece there. And thanks for the kind words!

Hank,
Thank you!
That makes me doubly happy that you like the final product as well. :)

doug.goodman
11-10-2020, 07:38 PM
Received this Koufax scored program today.

The last appearance of his career where he had zero strikeouts.

He got beat up by the dreaded Giants, facing 9 while allowing 4 runs on 4 hits and a walk thru 1.1 innings.

His previous three appearances had been complete games, as were his next EIGHT (!!). In that 12 game run he had a 10-1 record, with this game being is only no decision, and he averaged 8.6 strikeouts per game.

This is my 240th different Koufax game scored program, including the post season.

Doug

ooo-ribay
11-11-2020, 09:06 PM
Received this Koufax scored program today.

The last appearance of his career where he had zero strikeouts.

He got beat up by the dreaded Giants, facing 9 while allowing 4 runs on 4 hits and a walk thru 1.1 innings.

His previous three appearances had been complete games, as were his next EIGHT (!!). In that 12 gave run he had a 10-1 record, with this game being is only no decision, and he averaged 8.6 strikeouts per game.

This is my 240th different Koufax game scored program, including the post season.

Doug

Giants blew a 7-0 lead, trailed 8-7, finally won 9-8. :D

GrayGhost
11-12-2020, 03:09 PM
Never seen this, hope it’s original.

Cool John McGraw blotter or ad card fir Billiards. Plus has sticker of Iowa pool parlor.

Topnotchsy
11-12-2020, 04:54 PM
And, I love those lineup cards. Very cool!

Thanks! Been collecting lineup cards for years, but this was my most significant purchase. I have some more recent World Series lineup cards, but never had one from before the 70's, and never had a lineup card with Gehrig on it.

bobfreedman
11-12-2020, 05:58 PM
I really dont know what this is aside from the mirror on the obverse and possibly a paper weight. Merlaco is a Philippine electric company but when I originally saw it, I assumed it was a Cuban Piece. Its large and heavy. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

chlankf
11-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Couple of cool new additions for my Des Moines collection.
-1940 AL/NL Des Moines Register/Tribune pocket schedule.
-Des Moines Bruins full ticket, May 11, 1954
-Iowa Oaks ticket stub, May 1, 1975
-2007 Iowa Cubs uncut team set auto'd by all but three.

Hankphenom
11-12-2020, 06:16 PM
Never seen this, hope it’s original.

Cool John McGraw blotter or ad card fir Billiards. Plus has sticker of Iowa pool parlor.

Definitely original.

ooo-ribay
11-13-2020, 06:57 AM
I really dont know what this is aside from the mirror on the obverse and possibly a paper weight. Merlaco is a Philippine electric company but when I originally saw it, I assumed it was a Cuban Piece. Its large and heavy. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

No insight, Bob, just......wow! :eek:

bnorth
11-13-2020, 11:39 AM
Couple of cool new additions for my Des Moines collection.
-1940 AL/NL Des Moines Register/Tribune pocket schedule.
-Des Moines Bruins full ticket, May 11, 1954
-Iowa Oaks ticket stub, May 1, 1975
-2007 Iowa Cubs uncut team set auto'd by all but three.

That uncut sheet is awesome.

71buc
11-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Almost embarrassed by how excited I am to have finally landed a pair of 1971 Pirates at San Diego stubs. These were ridiculously tough to find.! They are rivaled only by 1971 Pirates at Montreal and Houston. I missed out on a pair from the same seller that sold for $103.00 two weeks ago. I'm driven to collect these but not that crazy! I now have slightly more than half of all the 1971 Pirates home and away ticket stubs. Its taken 4 years to get here. I doubt I will ever complete the goal but it's been both maddening and fun searching for them.

todeen
11-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Mail day. Purchased from BST. Thanks Fballguy, very excited about these.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201113/bcfb90756720576cc5b86e648300265a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201113/b300467584ae8525d51367b7a7e32ebe.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mr2686
11-14-2020, 05:38 AM
Almost embarrassed by how excited I am to have finally landed a pair of 1971 Pirates at San Diego stubs. These were ridiculously tough to find.! They are rivaled only by 1971 Pirates at Montreal and Houston. I missed out on a pair from the same seller that sold for $103.00 two weeks ago. I'm driven to collect these but not that crazy! I now have slightly more than half of all the 1971 Pirates home and away ticket stubs. Its taken 4 years to get here. I doubt I will ever complete the goal but it's been both maddening and fun searching for them.

Great Job Mike! I imagine it was very hard, and I can't imagine only 10,342 in attendance for a doubleheader. I'm guessing you're not holding out too much hope for the July 24th game that had only 3,114. :(

Scott Garner
11-14-2020, 06:28 AM

Nice one, Mike!

batsballsbases
11-14-2020, 07:24 AM
Bob,
Just a little help here it is listed in Paul's Book under Z98 and he says Z98 is attributed to a company sponsored baseball team in Mexico.....

bobfreedman
11-14-2020, 10:15 AM
Bob,
Just a little help here it is listed in Paul's Book under Z98 and he says Z98 is attributed to a company sponsored baseball team in Mexico.....

Thank you Al

ooo-ribay
11-21-2020, 12:23 PM
I'm a Giants collector who doesn't mind ruining the value of something to make it a "Giants piece." :p Here's an example of the Blatz Braves display, after "customization."

Mark
11-21-2020, 12:37 PM
I'm a Giants collector who doesn't mind ruining the value of something to make it a "Giants piece." :p Here's an example of the Blatz Braves display, after "customization."

That is something. I don't have one! Great get.

BuzzD
11-21-2020, 01:15 PM
Picked up a c.1910 Thompson photo of Salida Tom Hughes NYAL

Scott Garner
11-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Picked up a c.1910 Thompson photo of Salida Tom Hughes NYAL

Buzz,
That's a super photo of Salida Tom! :cool:

Chris Counts
11-23-2020, 05:51 PM
I had no idea that a T206 era pitcher grew up in Salida, CO. Two summers ago, I unexpectedly came across Smokey Joe Wood Field in Ouray, CO. Both towns are over 7,000 feet, so that's a short baseball season. It's hard to imagine players growing up at a higher elevation, but I looked it up, and there's one major leaguer from Cripple Creek, CO, which measures over 9,000 feet.

Buzz,
That's a super photo of Salida Tom! :cool:

Chris Counts
11-23-2020, 05:55 PM
With Carl Hubbell pins selling for $300, and one guy trying to corner the market on everything rare, I haven't had much luck picking up many new pins lately. But thanks to a board member (Thanks Andy!), I have something new and shiny to add to my collection ...

ksfarmboy
11-23-2020, 06:00 PM
Great Wichita Braves and Topeka Reds buttons Chris!

Vintagecatcher
11-23-2020, 08:06 PM
Picked up this PCL baseball that arrived today.

Patrick

khkco4bls
11-25-2020, 03:01 PM
Catcher statue from 1910. Catcher to go with my batter statue. Just need the pitcher. Thought the price was great at 449.00. Off ebay.

andypcl
11-25-2020, 03:05 PM
Glad you liked them Chris, have a nice Thanksgiving...

4scuda
11-28-2020, 07:56 PM
I picked up 50 + Sporting Life from 1910 - 1915. Good stuff on the 1910 and 1914 World Series. I’ve always loved old paper.