PDA

View Full Version : 1931 W517 Color Variations

carolenny
11-03-2020, 11:02 AM
Back when I had these graded by SGC, I was told that the color variations were a factory cut version. They have no dotted lines.

Any information appreciated!
Thanks, Len

brianp-beme
11-04-2020, 01:43 AM
Haven't really noticed the no dotted line W517's in the past, but it is interesting that it appears from your examples that they not only seem to be possibly machine cut, but also that they are the less common tints. Would be interesting if we get some more input on these.

Brian

leftygrove10
11-04-2020, 04:22 AM
Here are a few of my Lefty Grove W517's. The brown variation has dashes on the bottom. The green and blue variations have dashes on the top.

BabyRuth
11-04-2020, 04:50 AM
Here's dashed lines a blueish Hornsby, greenish Foxx

GeoPoto
11-04-2020, 05:21 AM
https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=424697&stc=1&d=1604492431

carolenny
11-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies and pictures!
Len

nolemmings
11-04-2020, 11:32 AM
I've got one with the dashed line and the redemption stripe:
https://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/large/31w517grove.jpg

Leon
11-05-2020, 11:11 AM
Sounds like they fed you BS....hope it tasted good...
As far as we know they were all issued in 3 card strips. It's just a matter of the hand cut for the dotted pattern. My guess is a lot of collectors didn't want the dots on their cards so cut them off.

Back when I had these graded by SGC, I was told that the color variations were a factory cut version. They have no dotted lines.

Any information appreciated!
Thanks, Len

Some from my previous collection..

https://luckeycards.com/pw517stripof3andredandmiscut.jpg

carolenny
11-05-2020, 04:47 PM
I just wanted to be sure. I had a few of these color variations graded by SGC way back, purple Gehrig, Orange Ruth. They put numerical grades on them and no "hand cut" designation. Perhaps 5 years later I submitted the rest of my collection of colored W517's to SGC and they all came back Authentic. I was told they had to have dotted lines. I called to question, sent pics of the previous graded examples. They told me to re-submit, they would give them numerical grades, as they were factory cuts. And they did assign the grades with no hand cut designation.

I appreciate all the feedback and pictures.
Thanks, Len

Leon
11-10-2020, 11:27 AM
I just wanted to be sure. I had a few of these color variations graded by SGC way back, purple Gehrig, Orange Ruth. They put numerical grades on them and no "hand cut" designation. Perhaps 5 years later I submitted the rest of my collection of colored W517's to SGC and they all came back Authentic. I was told they had to have dotted lines. I called to question, sent pics of the previous graded examples. They told me to re-submit, they would give them numerical grades, as they were factory cuts. And they did assign the grades with no hand cut designation.

I appreciate all the feedback and pictures.
Thanks, Len

Many times SGC and PSA, as policy, label cards hand cut incorrectly. Many, many times actually. Such as all of the W575-1s, W503s and more....If those cards are hand cut they are trimmed. And most of them aren't. They shouldn't have hand cut on their labels and I am pretty sure the new company won't do that. It always seems crazy to me to, on purpose, label something incorrectly. But what do I know? All 20 cards I received in this pack, are wrongly labeled in SGC holders, and will be escaping them very soon. What a farce. PSA does the same type thing.

carolenny
11-10-2020, 01:11 PM
Those are beautiful cards.

carolenny
11-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Hi Leon, based on my experience, and the recent post regarding these, I bet SGC will regrade them. Especially if you send scans of the envelope they came in. I have called them in the past.