PDA

View Full Version : SGC lead times?

Usc1
11-02-2020, 09:59 AM
I need to send some cards over for grading. I know that PSA lead times are months.

Have people been receiving their cards in a timely manner from SGC? They aren't taking phone calls as I called. I tried emailing but no reply. I imagine they are busy as well.

Thanks.

wazoo
11-02-2020, 10:27 AM
TL;DR - No

My August sub is expected back Mid-December.

I know people that subbed in June that are just receiving scans/grades.

Appears they are digging into the backlog, but I'd say the estimated lead times given on the website are not representative of what you're going to get.

jcmtiger
11-02-2020, 10:29 AM
I need to send some cards over for grading. I know that PSA lead times are months.

Have people been receiving their cards in a timely manner from SGC? They aren't taking phone calls as I called. I tried emailing but no reply. I imagine they are busy as well.

Thanks.

Just sent 4 cards for grading to SGC. They received the cards. Before mailing they had on website 52-57 business days. Joe

Usc1
11-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the insights.

Looks like it is not any better than PSA at the moment.

bobbyw8469
11-02-2020, 12:35 PM
The graders are all getting crushed at the moment.

todeen
11-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Just sent 4 cards for grading to SGC. They received the cards. Before mailing they had on website 52-57 business days. JoeI submitted a 10 day sub with SGC in June, and today is day 130. Its in post grading status but hasn't shipped yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jay Wolt
11-02-2020, 05:10 PM
I sent them over 60 T201, 205, 206 & 207's in May for 20 day submissions.
Last month they bumped it to the 52-57 day subs, still not graded.
& SGC takes your money when they receive the cards, at least PSA takes it when they are ready to ship.

kmac32
11-02-2020, 05:12 PM
They received my cards on August 31 and marked received but no grades as of November 2. Far cry from the days of a regular being 20 days.

Johnny630
11-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Why are people continuously sending any TPG’s their cards at this particular time?

What’s the rationale?

mattsey9
11-03-2020, 12:08 AM
My six card order received June 9th popped today. My son included two of his Pokemon cards and is already seeing dollar signs after learning his grades.

tobychin
11-03-2020, 05:52 AM
My submission was received on July 21. So far no cards have been graded.

jcmtiger
11-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the insights.

Looks like it is not any better than PSA at the moment.

Isn’t’t PSA 9 months to a year ?

kkkkandp
11-04-2020, 07:19 AM
Submitted 8 cards to SGC on August 27 for 43 - 48 day service, so technically they are only one day overdue today! :D

Throttlesteer
11-04-2020, 11:10 AM
TPGs should just charge $100 per card for 12-month service. But, for each additional $50, they'll trim one month off the wait times. I kid..........sort of

toledo_mudhen
11-04-2020, 03:36 PM
OR Just set up a "PSA Service Auction" - where they could put on the block say something like

Any Number of Cards (up to x) at x day service - What am I bid?

THey could do these every week/day???

I also kid........ kinda

tobychin
11-06-2020, 06:14 AM
My cards were graded yesterday, Nov 5th.

Usc1
11-07-2020, 10:03 PM
My cards were graded yesterday, Nov 5th.

Thats almost 4 months!

robw1959
11-07-2020, 10:22 PM
I think four months is about SGC's wait time these days. My 20-card order at 10-$15 per card was received by them on July 6th, and it has now just entered the post-grading process, so I'm expecting it in the mail some time this week.

Republicaninmass
11-08-2020, 04:27 AM
PSA saying on their site "9-10 weeks to LOG THEM IN".

Plain insanity

toledo_mudhen
11-08-2020, 04:46 AM
PSA saying on their site "9-10 weeks to LOG THEM IN".

Plain insanity

FFS - Seriously

This industry is RIPE for an alternative TPG

Natedog
11-08-2020, 05:36 AM
I was going to send some cards to SGC this week - when did their prices go from $10 each to $15?

Johnny630
11-08-2020, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know when that new sports card grading company CGS will take cards for grading?

mattsey9
11-08-2020, 01:08 PM
I was going to send some cards to SGC this week - when did their prices go from $10 each to $15?

Earlier this summer.

Natedog
11-08-2020, 05:03 PM
Earlier this summer.

Thanks!

nooner10
11-08-2020, 06:25 PM
I sent cards to SGC at the end of July and they were shipped back on Friday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

wazoo
11-08-2020, 06:40 PM
I sent cards to SGC at the end of July and they were shipped back on Friday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well that’s good news...hopefully I get my August sub back next month. I have nothing to complain about compared to some of the other guys. But seems like they’re working their way through the backlog. Will always go SGC

wazoo
11-19-2020, 07:41 AM
Any August folks getting their cards back yet?

Leon
11-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Does anyone know when that new sports card grading company CGS will take cards for grading?

I have been told, informally and not official, that it will be right after the first of the year. We all know how things can change though....I can't wait to start crossing my cards over.

toledo_mudhen
11-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Any August folks getting their cards back yet?

We (Bobby) did a bulk sub (1959 & Older) back in May. Those are still waiting to be graded...... (aaaaargh)

Johnny630
11-19-2020, 11:35 AM
I have been told, informally and not official, that it will be right after the first of the year. We all know how things can change though....I can't wait to start crossing my cards over.

Cool thanks. It will be nice to have another company in the game.

kmac32
12-10-2020, 02:00 PM
Current wait times for economy submission are now 65 to 70 business days. So at least 3 to 3. 1/2 months. If it weren’t for the display part of my collection, wouldn’t spent the money but they do present nice

jcmtiger
12-10-2020, 07:54 PM
I submitted a 10 day sub with SGC in June, and today is day 130. Its in post grading status but hasn't shipped yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That sucks

Casey2296
12-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Current wait times for economy submission are now 65 to 70 business days. So at least 3 to 3. 1/2 months. If it weren’t for the display part of my collection, wouldn’t spent the money but they do present nice

All things considered, 4 months economy turn times in the middle of a pandemic where 3000 people died yesterday to encase our beloved old cardboard in a plastic tomb is, how should I say it, immaterial on the whole.

Tyruscobb
12-10-2020, 08:50 PM
All things considered, 4 months economy turn times in the middle of a pandemic where 3000 people died yesterday to encase our beloved old cardboard in a plastic tomb is, how should I say it, immaterial on the whole.

This. I’m just thankful that my biggest “problems” are waiting for cards from a TPG during a pandemic. Thankful for my health and job. Fortunate to have first world problems.

kkkkandp
12-10-2020, 09:27 PM
Just got an update (because I asked for it) this week: my August 27 submission will likely not be complete until mid-to-late January at the earliest. I am doubtful that estimate is even close to being true. No judgment; just a fact. It's not blood plasma or an organ donation, so when it gets here, it gets here.

kmac32
12-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Just got an update (because I asked for it) this week: my August 27 submission will likely not be complete until mid-to-late January at the earliest. I am doubtful that estimate is even close to being true. No judgment; just a fact. It's not blood plasma or an organ donation, so when it gets here, it gets here.

I sent one in August 31 so I guess we will get ours back about the same time. Sent a submission in today so probably May for this one. The ones from today are nice S74 silks so I care about their grade but the submission from August were rougher So they could have just slapped them in a case with A grade and I would have been fine with that.

todeen
12-10-2020, 11:41 PM
That sucks

My post you quoted at 130 days, it shipped shortly thereafter. So turn around time in November was 4.5 months.

That was my only card in the que, so I'm not sure if SGC has sped up or not.

wazoo
12-11-2020, 07:53 AM

That is wild. I did an August 24 sub and it just hit post grading 2 days ago...

bobbyw8469
12-11-2020, 11:36 AM
We (Bobby) did a bulk sub (1959 & Older) back in May. Those are still waiting to be graded...... (aaaaargh)

That's is this one Lonnie....note that it took two months just to log in....so the clock started in August!

06/18/20 08/12/20

Exhibitman
12-11-2020, 12:23 PM
1. Are the extreme waiting periods also true for the more expensive tiers?

2. Should we as sellers be tacking on a premium for slabbed cards since replacing them is now an endeavor?

Casey2296
12-11-2020, 12:37 PM

2. Should we as sellers be tacking on a premium for slabbed cards since replacing them is now an endeavor?

I talked to Brian over at SGC a few weeks ago and he said they were hitting their 24-48 turn time tier within a couple of days.

wazoo
12-11-2020, 12:44 PM

The SGC speed service has worked for me 2/2.

riggs336
12-11-2020, 04:27 PM
My solution: In March I began making monthly submissions to PSA. I got the first batch back in early July. Now that the pipeline is full I get a package every month. Not for everyone I realize, but it works for me.

kmac32
12-11-2020, 06:33 PM
My august 25th submission just got moved to post grading today. Now how long?

jimmer77
12-12-2020, 11:13 AM
I am also waiting for an August sub and I determined that it will be my last with SGC after using exclusively for the past 17 years. With their recent price increase and longer wait times not to mention their lack of communication and horrible website that never changes, I just figure it is time to switch to PSA

kmac32
12-12-2020, 12:51 PM
I am also waiting for an August sub and I determined that it will be my last with SGC after using exclusively for the past 17 years. With their recent price increase and longer wait times not to mention their lack of communication and horrible website that never changes, I just figure it is time to switch to PSA

I agree with everything you say but PSA is even worse. I had a group of cards I submitted a few days after my SGC submission and it is still at least 3 months out and their research people completely missed on what they are. Example is these were 1921 Koester Bread cards and they had them all as 1922 W575-1 including the Jesse Burkett cards which only exists in Koester, not W575-1. Also the Elmer Miller I submitted was once in a PSA slab as a Koester Bread and their were calling it a 1922 W-575-1. Told them to check theor own pop report as it is that specific card graded by them before.

bobbyw8469
12-13-2020, 05:51 AM

At least with PSA there is the monetary value attached with them.

Snapolit1
12-13-2020, 06:12 AM
Greed.

Why are people continuously sending any TPG’s their cards at this particular time?

What’s the rationale?

NYYFan63
12-13-2020, 06:40 AM
Greed.
From one of my favorite movies

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3oEjI0YYgsx8iTZzYA/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmer77
12-13-2020, 07:11 AM
Greed is the direction I feel SGC went, they saw an uptick in business and suddenly raised their prices without offering any tangible change to their product. They kept talking about innovation and it really never happened. I just feel PSA has more to offer, better pricing with a concise structure a website that is functional and usefull. These are all the things I was hoping SGC was going to do given their promises over 2 years ago and nothing changed, therefore I am after much hesitation.
They all have issues but at least PSA has the feel of a REAL company at this point

Oscar_Stanage
12-13-2020, 08:07 AM

I sent a stack of cards into SGC 2 weeks ago, had a bunch of questions around insurance, shipping, etc... they were incredibly responsive and helpful via email.

Leon
12-13-2020, 08:29 AM
I will most likely never send another submission to SGC. Besides their black inserts there is no reason. I believe they have lost any competitive advantage they used to have.

kmac32
12-15-2020, 08:52 AM
I will most likely never send another submission to SGC. Besides their black inserts there is no reason. I believe they have lost any competitive advantage they used to have.

Agreed and when they want $20 per card just to put a silk inside a plastic bag to place inside of the slab, that is nothing short of being greedy. Definitely my last sub to SGC. And their wait time is rediculous as I knew the August submission would all be authentic as they were missing backs. They could have slabbed them pu5t A on the label and had them back in 3 weeks. Shamefully bad service on SGC’s part

wazoo
01-12-2021, 11:38 AM
The answer is no....6 weeks in post grading with a continuously moving goalpost. Overpromising and underdelivering, cheers to 2021.

bobbyw8469
01-12-2021, 11:51 AM
You have the have the patience of Job in dealing with these guys right about now.

BabyRuth
01-12-2021, 11:58 AM
My order for 10 cards was received at SGC on Sept 21 and it said 52-57 days. Today(1/12) it finally changed from RECEIVED to POST GRADING STATUS and I noticed that turnaround time was changed to 65-70 days.

On another note, when I submitted 2 pricey cards back in November at the $100 service level, they were graded in 2 days and I had them back within a week.

wazoo
01-12-2021, 12:29 PM
You have the have the patience of Job in dealing with these guys right about now.

Without a doubt. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can understand why grading the cards itself is a bottleneck. Encapsulating, packaging and shipping should be something that can be scaled. To have two major bottlenecks in the process just doesn't make sense. 1 sure, understandable no one could have predicted the volume. The other thing I'm not understanding is their order fulfillment system. (Mostly modern it seems) versus tobacco (which I submitted). Issue getting the slabs? Too many questions.

kmac32
01-12-2021, 01:16 PM
Sent a group of 5 silks in and received August 31. Fot notice that they are on their way back yesterday. Ugh!!! Also sent 5 cards in in Mid December. They wanted $20 per card additional to encase them in mylar to keep them from slipping in the case. Definitely not necessary as the cards have their adbacks and would not slip. Now if they did not have the adbacks then what they were saying would make sense. Told them to grade only my Koester Bread O’Leary at the expedited level. They agreed to do this and had to email them Friday as there was no status change to indicate this. Good thing I emailed as they had done none of what I had discussed. Brent Martin now has the ball rolling on this submission.

With all this said, will be happy to get my cards back! Unless I get a card that is crutial to my collection and I want in in a SGC slab, this is my last submission to SGC. The wait times are out of control and the general ineptness of how subs and clients are handled are shameful. This is my personal opinion and they need to listen to their customers. When I call in with a concern, you never get a direct answer and half the time they act like the client is making up the story and when they verify with their coworkers, suprise, the client is telling them the truth as to what the story is. Not good client service in my opinion.

jcmtiger
01-12-2021, 01:21 PM
My order for 10 cards was received at SGC on Sept 21 and it said 52-57 days. Today(1/12) it finally changed from RECEIVED to POST GRADING STATUS and I noticed that turnaround time was changed to 65-70 days.

On another note, when I submitted 2 pricey cards back in November at the $100 service level, they were graded in 2 days and I had them back within a week.

My 4 cards received 10/30/20, still in received category. So far 54 work days. Joe. Last year 2019 I drove there and cards were returned in a week. Oversized cards.

wazoo
01-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Sent a froup of 5 silks in and received August 31. Fot notice that they are on their way back yesterday. Ugh!!! Also sent 5 cards in in Mid December. They wanted $20 per card additional to encse them in mylar to keep them from slipping in the case. Definitely not necessary as the cards have their adbacks and would not slip. Now if they did not have the adbacks then what they were saying would make sense. Told them to grade only my Koester Bread O’Leary at the expedited level. They agreed to do this and had to email them Friday as there was no status change to indicate this. Good thing I emailed as they had done none of what I had discussed. Brent Martin now has the ball rolling on this submission.

With all this said, will be happy to get my cards back! Unless I get a card that is crutial to my collection and I want in in a SGC slab, this is my last submission to SGC. The wait times are out of control and the general ineptness of how subs and clients are handled are shameful. This is my personal opinion and they need to listen to their customers. When I call in with a concern, you never get a direct answer and half the time they act like the client is making up the story and when they verify with their coworkers, suprise, the client is telling them the truth as to what the story is. Not good client service in my opinion.

August 24th for me....Nothing...fulfillment man....this isn't rocket science :(

Yoda
01-12-2021, 02:46 PM
Never let success overwhelm your business model; it is doomed to suffer or fail. Are you listening, Dave?

kmac32
01-12-2021, 04:21 PM
Short term win, long term failure!

Lorewalker
01-12-2021, 05:18 PM
Short term win, long term failure!

Has not hurt PSA nor Beckett and it will not hurt SGC. TPG are 100% in charge of this market. Those wait times seem pretty reasonable when you consider what the wait times are at PSA.

kmac32
01-13-2021, 01:15 PM
Finally have my August 31 submission in hand. 5 silks and this one slipped theough the cracks with no upcharge. They look really nice in my opinion so happy with the end product. I do think 4 1/2 months from atart to finish is excessive but guess it is what it is. 136 days for a standard economy submission tht that included labor day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Stiil quicker than PSA but painfully slow. Have my final submission coming back from SGC in hopefully a week as I told them to grade only my Chas O’Leary card and not the silks and T210 card I had sent in and do it at the expedited level. They already screwed up those instructions so we will see what happens. Definitely not willing to cut them any slack after the poor customer service I have had recently.

Kmac

cammb
01-13-2021, 06:57 PM
My 9/15/20 sub is on its way back home.

Frank A
01-13-2021, 07:19 PM
Ive got 50 nice cards sitting in a stack, really need them graded, but there is no way in hell I am sending them out to any of the big 3 grading companies. 4 months and longer is not acceptable service. If business is that good they should be expanding their work force. Obviously they don't give a crap about the senders. Pathetic.

buymycards
01-13-2021, 07:27 PM
They received my order on October 20th, and the online form said "52 to 57 days". The 57th business day was Monday, Jan 11th. I sent them an email to see if they would meet their deadline, and I got a response right away that said "Hopefully, it will be mid to late February".

So, they don't seem to be catching up.

bobbyw8469
01-13-2021, 07:36 PM
They received my order on October 20th, and the online form said "52 to 57 days". The 57th business day was Monday, Jan 11th. I sent them an email to see if they would meet their deadline, and I got a response right away that said "Hopefully, it will be mid to late February".

So, they don't seem to be catching up.

They are all pretty backed up now. I used to check on the subs religiously. Not anymore. They will get back when they do. As hot as the card market is, maybe that is a good thing that they ARE slow!!! I try to see the positive.

lentel
01-13-2021, 10:23 PM
They received my cards September 1st 2020 and I recieved them back January 4th 2021
Coupled with the fact that all of them came out of the Black insert during shipping back and were floating around in the case. That had never happened to me before.
These were t205s and the insert couldnt contain them during shipping as they seemed almost ill fitted.
Had to tap and shake for 40 minutes until all 7 cards were seated back into the insert.
I wont be using them ever again

kmac32
01-13-2021, 11:06 PM
They received my cards September 1st 2020 and I recieved them back January 4th 2021
Coupled with the fact that all of them came out of the Black insert during shipping back and were floating around in the case. That had never happened to me before.
These were t205s and the insert couldnt contain them during shipping as they seemed almost ill fitted.
Had to tap and shake for 40 minutes until all 7 cards were seated back into the insert.
I wont be using them ever again

Well, they could upcharge you $20 per card to put them in Mylar sleeves to keep them from moving in the slab like they tried to do with my S74 silks that had their ad backs on. I told them that was ridiculous as I had 2 with no Mylar and were fine. So after that, I told them that was dumb and refuse to pay the upcharge. They had just graded 5 with no upcharge so guess I got lucky. Also paid to have one card at expedited level and they screwed that up also. Unless I have something I really have to have in a SGC slab, I am done with them after being a loyal customer since 2002. Just not worth the issues and poor customer service.

Pat R
01-14-2021, 06:09 AM
I think one of the biggest problems with all the grading company back logs is the higher value/service level cards are backing up all the lower service
level subs even more. We're seeing record prices across all era's so that produces more higher level submissions based on their value, add to that the
raw collectors that are willing to sell some of their cards because of the price they're bringing but want them graded first. Then there are people that are only sending in the higher
service level cards and holding on to the rest until/if they get caught up a little.

buymycards
01-14-2021, 05:55 PM
They are all pretty backed up now. I used to check on the subs religiously. Not anymore. They will get back when they do. As hot as the card market is, maybe that is a good thing that they ARE slow!!! I try to see the positive.

I sent in 14 cards, all for my own collection. I'm not concerned about whether or not their value goes up.

Casey2296
01-14-2021, 06:13 PM
Sent them 7 cards from my PC on January 8th on the express, I'll have them back tomorrow.

ccre
01-14-2021, 07:01 PM
I've got some silks I was thinking about SGC grading.
Does anyone know if there's an upcharge for the Mylar bag to hold it in place?? 🤪

sando69
01-14-2021, 07:18 PM
"Sent them 7 cards from my PC on January 8th on the express, I'll have them back tomorrow."
shipped, accepted, prepped, researched, graded, qa checked and returned in 8 days?
i'd say that is extremely efficient currently! :eek:

kmac32
01-14-2021, 07:31 PM
I've got some silks I was thinking about SGC grading.
Does anyone know if there's an upcharge for the Mylar bag to hold it in place?? 🤪

Depends on their crack supplier and the current rate for crack!

Casey2296
01-14-2021, 07:39 PM
"Sent them 7 cards from my PC on January 8th on the express, I'll have them back tomorrow."
shipped, accepted, prepped, researched, graded, qa checked and returned in 8 days?
i'd say that is extremely efficient currently! :eek:

I was pleasantly surprised, they even reduced the fees because my calculations were a little high.

jcmtiger
01-21-2021, 12:48 PM
What is post grading status at SGC.? Cards graded, not shipped?

Casey2296
01-21-2021, 01:29 PM

Yes they have graded the card and are packing it and putting the grades into the system for your viewing. Should be a day or two, then they'll ship.

Frank A
01-21-2021, 01:55 PM
Just sent a load of cards to GMA. I know, they work from their basement. Who cares where they work from as long as they do the job right. I will let you know how it comes out. Frank

jcmtiger
01-21-2021, 02:21 PM
Yes they have graded the card and are packing it and putting the grades into the system for your viewing. Should be a day or two, then they'll ship.

Thanks,, joe

jcmtiger
01-28-2021, 05:20 PM

Still in post grading 8 days, 4 cards. 😴

kmac32
01-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Still in post grading 8 days, 4 cards. 😴

Mine sat there for a few weeks. Don’t be surprised.

bcbgcbrcb
03-23-2021, 09:54 AM
Maybe this explains the real reason for our delays in getting back our vintage card submissions over the past year:

These Chicago Bulls schedules are actually multipage booklets that are now being slabbed by two of the big three TPG's. One even received a Gem-Mint grade and is available on e-bay for the bargain price of $10K.

If that's not inappropriate enough, check out the third one, its a season ticket promotional flyer. All I can say is WOW! I guess MJ trumps everything these days, huh?