PDA

View Full Version : Perspective thread...it's not about the money.

Casey2296
11-01-2020, 06:15 PM
This forum is loaded with incredible people with so much knowledge it's unbelievable. As a card collector why wouldn't anyone want to hang out here.
I think Leon said there is something like 200 new members a month here, those are good numbers. I recently spoke to a couple of members who felt intimidated about posting. Now I haven't been around here long but I've been around a long time. So here goes...

It's not about the money, it's about your passion for what you're collecting.

There's guys here who could buy and sell any card at any price, it's a lot of fun to watch them play in their environment but they're no different than any other folks here.

What's important is your story. You might have 5 kids and a wife bitching at you about "we need more formula!" while you're squirreling away $25 a month to buy a 71T Ryan. What I care about is your journey to get that card, your decision about color, centering, registration, price, etc...

It's not about the money, it never has been, it's about your card and why it's your card.

Tell your story, that's always been more interesting than a piece of old cardboard.

CobbSpikedMe
11-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Right on Phil. I know there are a lot of members who will never post their recent pick ups because they aren't "worthy". Who gives a f*ck if they are "worthy" guys, just show off your stuff. Be proud to have picked up a new card. Or jump in on a thread if you have a comment. This place is for all collectors of prewar and vintage cards. Here's a beauty for y'all. And my only Mathewson that I am so happy to have picked up.

hcv123
11-01-2020, 08:41 PM
Having been here for quite a while and would consider myself a regular poster - there is a VERY broad range of collectors here from many walks of life, education, occupation and financial means. The OP said it best - it's about sharing YOUR passion and YOUR stories and YOUR cards!

Howard Chasser

Ps. One of the funniest lines I read here - "I have to sell my cards before I die or my wife will sell them for what I told her I paid for them!"

Exhibitman
11-01-2020, 08:44 PM
If you are feeling intimated by the card 'masters' here, by the monied collectors, don't be. We are all unhip, tragically uncool grown-ass men playing with toys, and we all need to:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/68026105.jpg

William Shatner: You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just baseball cards! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little hobby into a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME!

[ a crowd of shocked and dismayed collectors.... ]

I mean, how old are you people? What have you done with yourselves?

[ to "collector" ] You, you must be almost 60... have you ever kissed a girl?

[ "collector" hangs his head ]

I didn't think so! There's a whole world out there! When I was your age, I didn't collect cards and do nothing else, I LIVED! So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!

Natswin2019
11-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Well if we are sharing, I'd bet I'm one of the younger members of this forum at 23 but have been collecting vintage cards since I was a kid. I got introduced as a kid at the Chantilly show and went several times a year with my dad. Now I mostly collect 50's Topps and Bowman sets. Most of the stuff I get is lower grade due to a combination of cost (recent college grad just starting out, y'all know how it is) and choice, because I think cards that show a bit of wear tell a story unique to their perfect counterparts. As the OP said, I think this board and the Harmon's card group on Facebook, allow for collectors from all different walks of life to be able to share their passion. Cards have never been about the money for me but I still think it's cool when I get a high dollar card that I can show off haha.

todeen
11-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Right on Phil. I know there are a lot of members who will never post their recent pick ups because they aren't "worthy". Who gives a f*ck if they are "worthy" guys, just show off your stuff. Be proud to have picked up a new card. Or jump in on a thread if you have a comment. This place is for all collectors of prewar and vintage cards. Here's a beauty for y'all. And my only Mathewson that I am so happy to have picked up.

My favorite reads are the pick-up threads. Although I like the high $$$ buys, the ones that I smile and laugh at are the commons, and I think - who the hell is that ballplayer? Or the ebay bucks buys, when someone purchases a Kellogg's 3D card. It makes me feel good that there are lots of other people just like me on this board. My only Mathewson is a t202 end piece!....and the picture is sideways!

Rhotchkiss
11-02-2020, 04:38 AM
This forum is loaded with incredible people with so much knowledge it's unbelievable. As a card collector why wouldn't anyone want to hang out here.
I think Leon said there is something like 200 new members a month here, those are good numbers. I recently spoke to a couple of members who felt intimidated about posting. Now I haven't been around here long but I've been around a long time. So here goes...

There's guys here who could buy and sell any card at any price, it's a lot of fun to watch them play in their environment but they're no different than any other folks here.

What's important is your story. You might have 5 kids and a wife bitching at you about "we need more formula!" while you're squirreling away $25 a month to buy a 71T Ryan. What I care about is your journey to get that card, your decision about color, centering, registration, price, etc...

It's not about the money, it never has been, it's about your card and why it's your card.

Tell your story, that's always been more interesting than a piece of old cardboard.

Very well said Phil. I agree 1000% - thanks for starting the thread. And as an aside, you have been a heck of an asset since joining the gang only a few months ago. Keep posting!

Ronnie73
11-02-2020, 05:59 AM
It's interesting when you realize that many of us are so much alike in one way but completely the opposite in another way. But I think we can all agree that we all have a similar goal but the journey will be unique to each of us. It's really quite amazing how large and diverse our group is, with new collectors that never owned a card in their life, to the group of collectors that were in the front lines of the junk wax era, lost interest, life started and you found a wife, a house and kids, and then something happens and reopens the door to a past hobby. Then you have people like me, that never got out of it completely but maybe switched up my collecting focus and goals. But we all made it here, one way or another, and we all have something to share at some point. Either a new purchase, looking for advise or help, or my personal favorite, sharing theories of unknown processes and certain cards, with reasons why they should exist. There's always something for everyone here. You just have to take a few minutes and look around until something catches your attention.

Seven
11-02-2020, 06:58 AM

I agree 100%. I will freely admit as a younger collector, seeing some posts of people on here, who've been collecting for 30, 40, 50 years can be a little daunting at time. Especially with some of the pickups, I never get discouraged though. We all collect at our own pace, just like we all go through life at our own pace.

Are there times where I wished I grew up maybe 20 or 30 years before I actually did because It would've made collecting much easier? Of course there is! It's a funny little game to play. I'm just glad we all found our way to this wonderful board. Collecting brings so many people together, old and young.

I've grown very fond of here, whether it be seeing new pickups, learning about someones journey or just being able to talk about cards. I've spoken to some very nice people as well, who have offered guidance or who are always quick to say "Please reach out if you have questions." I look forward to checking the new posts on a day to day basis. It's a good time. I'm looking forward to many more years ahead of doing this.