PDA

View Full Version : Huggins and Scott shipping and handling???

bobbyw8469
10-26-2020, 07:51 AM
Did anyone win anything from the last Huggins and Scott auction and think that the shipping and handling was absurdly high???

Jim F
10-26-2020, 08:05 AM
Yes

sicollector1954
10-26-2020, 08:10 AM
Yes.

ibuysportsephemera
10-26-2020, 08:14 AM
Yes...fortunately I had a credit from a previous auction towards free shipping. Had I not had the credit, I was going to call them to complain. My package wouldn't have weighed more than 3 pounds well protected and they were going to charge me $60 for shipping and handling.

Jeff

Donscards
10-26-2020, 08:48 AM
I won 1 card shipping and insurance $43

Lorewalker
10-26-2020, 09:18 AM
Yikes! Didn't this happen with Leland's...a stink was made and they refunded people? Thought I read about it here.

I get that it takes time and some money to ship but it should not be a profit center if you are charging a huge buyer's premium. Disappointing to hear this.

Casey2296
10-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Do those charges include insurance? And if so, is it optional to not have insurance?

mechanicalman
10-26-2020, 09:39 AM
I've found that they will ship on your own Fedex account, which isn't hard to get.

wazoo
10-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Yikes! Didn't this happen with Leland's...a stink was made and they refunded people? Thought I read about it here.

I get that it takes time and some money to ship but it should not be a profit center if you are charging a huge buyer's premium. Disappointing to hear this.

You'd think 23% would be enough damage lol

ibuysportsephemera
10-26-2020, 11:03 AM
You'd think 23% would be enough damage lol

Exactly..in my case it would have amounted to an additional 20% for shipping and handling. If I have to factor in almost 45% more than my high bid...it will absolutely curtail the amount I am willing to spend.

Jeff

Jcosta19
10-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Might be a software error on calculating shipping costs.
Have you contacted them to make sure the cost is correct?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bobbyw8469
10-26-2020, 12:21 PM
Might be a software error on calculating shipping costs.
Have you contacted them to make sure the cost is correct?

I am going to. Today has been a busy day at work.

trambo
10-26-2020, 12:59 PM
1 card. $600. $24 shipping. Seems a little rich but it's probably why I don't bid with them very much. I'm sure it's some mathematical formula on spreading their insurance. Not to say it's right, mind you. Seems crazy high on top of the 23% buyer premium.

bobbyw8469
10-26-2020, 01:06 PM
1 card. $600. $24 shipping. Seems a little rich but it's probably why I don't bid with them very much. I'm sure it's some mathematical formula on spreading their insurance. Not to say it's right, mind you. Seems crazy high on top of the 23% buyer premium.

I won a $350 card and program combo. My shipping was $25. Seems high.

scotgreb
10-26-2020, 01:36 PM
Just pointing out that the buyer's premium is 20% if paid by check. They also credit $10 each auction for opting out of the printed catalog. Scott

ibuysportsephemera
10-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Just pointing out that the buyer's premium is 20% if paid by check. They also credit $10 each auction for opting out of the printed catalog. Scott

I think that the $10 credit is a one time thing?

Jeff

Orioles1954
10-26-2020, 02:17 PM
I think that the $10 credit is a one time thing?

Jeff

No, it’s not.

ibuysportsephemera
10-26-2020, 02:22 PM
No, it’s not.

Good to know, thanks.

Jeff

Bpm0014
10-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Yes

Fballguy
10-26-2020, 04:18 PM
It's hardly limited to Huggins & Scott. I've yet to meet an auction house capable of shipping for less than 4x what it costs me to ship the same item.

sb1
10-26-2020, 04:33 PM
It's hardly limited to Huggins & Scott. I've yet to meet an auction house capable of shipping for less than 4x what it costs me to ship the same item.

I guess you have not won anything from my auctions...

painthistorian
10-26-2020, 05:07 PM
They are a very fair and understanding auction house, if there are issues, just contact them, it is possible that they are using guidelines that are for larger boxes girth(fedex) so if there is an issue, contact them directly, they are far better than most. RATES have gone up drastically this year!

x2drich2000
10-26-2020, 05:10 PM

+1 or LOTG or Sterling or Birmingham or REA

packs
10-26-2020, 05:29 PM
Whoops never mind I see it on there. Thought they only got me for hammer and juice.

BRoberts
10-26-2020, 08:41 PM

Incredibly ignorant statement.

Bill Roberts

Casey2296
10-26-2020, 09:56 PM
Help me understand a couple of things here about auction houses. I'm fairly new and have only spent maybe 10k-15k at proper auction houses.
For me the auction houses that stand out are the ones that I can call and they pick up.
LOTG? You want to talk to Al? Just call him up, he's a man of integrity and runs a good auction house.

Prestige? Aquarian? Cleansweep? Greg Morris? All stand up guys, I'm sure I'm missing plenty more. Heritage? Good house, you get what you pay for and they're very professional.

I don't have to list the auction houses that don't have any of the attributes of the people I've mentioned, you know who they are.

Margin: 30% margin is thin in any business, if you've ever run one you know that. These small to mid level guys aren't getting rich. I'm assuming that's why Al called it LOTG not LOTPM.

Shipping: if I spend a couple grand with you I want my package to come wrapped and insured like a Cadillac not like some white trash low brow maybe it will arrive safely if at all to save a couple bucks vehicle.

Auction house cards are cards for my personal collection not to flip, they're special, they should be treated that way, that costs extra. That doesn't mean we shouldn't call bullshit when houses try to take advantage but let's keep things in perspective.

2 cents given...
Phil Lewis

Fballguy
10-26-2020, 10:26 PM
Incredibly ignorant statement.

Bill Roberts

Really Bill...Care to share your knowledge of my auction house invoices?

We await your omnipotent wisdom. Don't let us down.

Fballguy
10-26-2020, 10:34 PM

If you don't sell pennants, I probably haven't.

Throttlesteer
10-26-2020, 10:54 PM
Well, I just sold a $700 card on Ebay and the win ing bidder left feedback my shipping was expensive ($13 USPS Priority insured). I guess it's all relative

ibuysportsephemera
10-27-2020, 04:47 AM
I think that the biggest problem is the uncertainty. Every AH is different and some are clearly trying to use S&H as a profit center. In this case, the eBay model works much better...you know exactly what the costs are when bidding or using BIN.

Jeff

earlywynnfan
10-27-2020, 05:43 AM
I've always found H&S to be very fair. I couldn't imagine being too busy to call someone directly to find out what the problem is, yet having enough time to go on the internets and call them out.

bobbyw8469
10-27-2020, 06:16 AM
I've always found H&S to be very fair. I couldn't imagine being too busy to call someone directly to find out what the problem is, yet having enough time to go on the internets and call them out.

Wasn't calling them out, and I apologize if you think that was my intent. I have been bidding with Bill and the gang over there a LONGGGGGGG time. I can't recall the S&H being a problem during the other 12+ years I have been bidding with them. Maybe they installed a new $20 minimum and just go from there? To try to attack someone with just a legitimate question in uncalled for though. If other's are experiencing the same thing I am experiencing, then I will probably not call, as my time is too busy during the day to break away from a counter to make a phone call. And before you say it, I can type messages all day long with no issue. Phone calls are a totally different matter.

earlywynnfan
10-27-2020, 08:40 AM
Whom did I attack? I stated my opinion, if you feel you did nothing wrong then my opinion shouldn't matter.
I, personally, wouldn't publicly call out any person or company that I have a relationship with without giving them the chance to defend or explain. I consider that a sign of respect, the same respect I would hope they would show me were something to appear amiss on my end.

I also feel that by putting your thoughts and opinions on a public forum, you open yourself up to people disagreeing. For example, if I feel I'm being ripped off, I will make darn sure I find out for sure, especially if it only takes a phone call. So this is twice in one thread that I disagree with your methods. But I'm not trying to attack you. You do what you want to do.

earlywynnfan
10-27-2020, 09:01 AM
On the other hand, looks like I should be glad I didn't win anything this time. Hopefully it's a computer glitch. I was away for a week and just came back to the USPS rates for shipping eBay stuff to have jumped noticeably.

bnorth
10-27-2020, 09:29 AM
On the other hand, looks like I should be glad I didn't win anything this time. Hopefully it's a computer glitch. I was away for a week and just came back to the USPS rates for shipping eBay stuff to have jumped noticeably.

The wonderful lady that works the counter at my local PO told me they are cutting discount shipping for several places.

jcmtiger
10-27-2020, 09:55 AM
I won 1 card shipping and insurance $43

What was value of card?

earlywynnfan
10-27-2020, 10:01 AM
The wonderful lady that works the counter at my local PO told me they are cutting discount shipping for several places.

Ah, one of which must be eBay.
Anyone ship via PayPal recently? Wonder if they have gone up, too

jcmtiger
10-27-2020, 10:03 AM
Well, I just sold a $700 card on Ebay and the win ing bidder left feedback my shipping was expensive ($13 USPS Priority insured). I guess it's all relative

Depends where it going. Just sent a package flat rate insured $600.00. Cost $17.00. Your shipping was right on :)

ruth-gehrig
10-27-2020, 10:20 AM
I had an issue with an item bought a few auctions back. It did not involve shipping charges. I emailed, never attempted to call, and it was cleared up very quickly.

ValKehl
10-27-2020, 11:40 AM
The USPS temporarily increased its commercial rates (the rates those of us who sell on eBay pay when we create shipping labels via eBay) on October 18th. These temporary increases are scheduled to end December 27th. The USPS did not increase its retail rates. The increase in the commercial rate for a First Class package is 25 cents, and the increase for a Priority Mail shipment is 40 cents. Here's the link to the USPS announcement: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2020/0814-usps-announces-temporary-price-increase.htm

Info regarding all of the USPS' rates and various misc. charges can always be found in the USPS' Notice 123, which my wife and I (we both sell on eBay) refer to frequently; here's the link to it: https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Mine either. Though Scott may be even more reasonable than my rates if I recall. We are actual shipping plus $5. Insurance mandatory on packages over $200 and registered mail insured required on packages over $2000.

brianp-beme
10-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Mine either. Though Scott may be even more reasonable than my rates if I recall. We are actual shipping plus $5. Insurance mandatory on packages over $200 and registered mail insured required on packages over $2000.

Three Scotts involved in the above post. The auction house that Scott (Aquarian Sports Cards) refers to is sb1, which is Scott from Brockelman Auctions, not Huggins & Scott. As Scott from Birmingham Auctions mentions, his shipping charges are reasonable as well.

Brian (not a Scott)

bobbyw8469
10-27-2020, 02:42 PM
LOL.....Great Scott!!!!!!

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-27-2020, 03:31 PM
Three Scotts involved in the above post. The auction house that Scott (Aquarian Sports Cards) refers to is sb1, which is Scott from Brockelman Auctions, not Huggins & Scott. As Scott from Birmingham Auctions mentions, his shipping charges are reasonable as well.

Brian (not a Scott)

But my brother, who works with me, is a Brian...