PDA

View Full Version : 1907-8 Panama Isthmian League

jerseygary
10-20-2020, 12:04 PM
Several years back (maybe as many as 10) a collector on Net54 posted a photo display of the 1907-08 Isthmian League in Panama. I do not recall who it was, nor can I seem to find the original post, but here is the photo of the display I saved:

I have always been interested in obscure baseball teams, players and leagues, and the Isthmian League certainly fits that bill. I took notes and put it aside until I had time to do some research on the league. I wound up focusing on one player, Eddie Sabrie, and just finished a story about him and the Isthmian League on my website.

As the original poster had written, the players on the Culebra (champs of the league) were mostly American minor leaguers from the south. I had a lot of fun following traces of the league in Panamanian newspapers of the day and then finding out all about Eddie Sabrie, Culebra's first baseman and a career minor leaguer. For a guy who never made it to the majors, Sabrie had a pretty interesting career. You can read my story by clicking HERE (https://studiogaryc.com/2020/10/20/eddie-sabrie/)

Maybe the owner of the photo display is still a member and can tell a bit more about the piece.