PDA

View Full Version : Auction advice? First timer...

Belfast1933
10-09-2020, 02:39 PM
I’m thinking of posting a couple of cards for sale - I’m more collector than seller but have sold 40-50 cards via e-bay and all have gone very well

But I’d like to give Net54baseball a spin to sell - nothing too heavy to sell.... 71 topps Munson and 76 Topps Brett (both ungraded).

Like many, am trying to sell my dupes to fund my other needs.

Any experienced advice to share? Auction vs static pricing? EBay vs Net54baseball?

Thx for advice - or maybe earlier threads have addressed this for other “bushers” like me?

Jeff

Snapolit1
10-09-2020, 02:43 PM
A lot to unpack . . .

Ebay charges a fee for your sales. No fees here.

Many many more eyeballs on eBay than here.

If you consign to an auction house they will reach a lot of people but may charge you a fee.

The crowd here is not really into run of the mill stuff. If your cards are ordinary and only worth a few bucks you may not find a lot of interest in them here.

Just a few thoughts.

bnorth
10-09-2020, 02:45 PM
The biggest difference is there are no fees selling in the BST section. So you can list them at 15% cheaper than eBay and still get the same cash in your pocket.

Both regular listings and auctions in the BST have done well for me in the past.

Biggest thing is decent pics and list exactly what type of payment(s) method you prefer.

Belfast1933
10-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Wow, fast! Thx... yeah, my stuff is like everyone else’s so probably not a very exciting fit here.

Thx

bobbyw8469
10-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Wow, fast! Thx... yeah, my stuff is like everyone else’s so probably not a very exciting fit here.

Thx

You should still do well in the BST.......take a look at some of the stuff there. Nothing that really knocks your socks off. The Munson card is something the guys would like....

bnorth
10-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Thx

I extremely disagree with Steve on regular stuff doesn't do well here. He personally might not buy it but there are a LOT of us that do.:)

swarmee
10-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Both would sell well on COMC. Although if the '76 Brett is NM+ or better, you might need to grade it for full value.

Oscar_Stanage
10-09-2020, 02:53 PM
I extremely disagree with Steve on regular stuff doesn't do well here. He personally might not buy it but there are a LOT of us that do.:)

I agree! for example, there is a consistent supply of unopened baseball and basketball packs from the late 80s and early 90s. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have partaken on multiple occasions, can't get much more vanilla than that!

x2drich2000
10-09-2020, 03:00 PM

I would agree with this if it is priced right. Doesn't have to be given away, but if it is overpriced it likely won't move. Priced reasonable for what you have and you should be fine here.

Belfast1933
10-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Ok, willing to give it a try.... suggest auction or fixed price sale?

Casey2296
10-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Deans card prices divided by 2 minus 10% = B/S/T price.

bnorth
10-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Ok, willing to give it a try.... suggest auction or fixed price sale?

Since you are kinda new with not many posts I would try fixed price. Look at sold prices on eBay for cards in the same condition. Look to see the average price they sold for and drop 10 to 15 percent. Then list them at that price. That is what I do.

Snapolit1
10-09-2020, 03:07 PM
Ah, I've been slapped down again. Ha.

I agree lower priced stuff can sell here if priced well.

I've tried the auction format on BST a few times and it seemed to take much more time and effort than just a fairly priced straight sale. Could be fun if you want an auction. Be specific in ending time and time zone so there's no dispute as to who won. And shipping costs.

bobbyw8469
10-09-2020, 03:10 PM
I have done well here with commons I wouldn't want to sell on Ebay. Nothing earth shattering, but I feel I did OK and I feel the buyer got a good deal too. Without the Ebay fees as well.

jimmer77
10-10-2020, 08:26 AM
I would be interested in the Brett, if are selling it.
Thanks

conor912
10-10-2020, 09:51 AM
I have to agree with Steve here. In my experience, every time i have put anything on the BST auction, it ends up selling for peanuts to someone whose handle i have never even seen before. I think there’s a subset of members who just lurk on the bst hunting for bargains and otherwise hide in the shadows. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but in my experience i have always done better on ebay, even with the fees.

toledo_mudhen
10-11-2020, 06:46 AM
Typically, I try to sell the "bigger" (for me $250+) cards on BST first and occasionally I will post a link to my eBay page in the "Ebay, Auction and other Venues Announcement- B/S/T" for everything else.

Snapolit1
10-11-2020, 08:06 AM
I wasn’t saying eBay is better than BST. I’d rather sell an item here to a member and not have to pay anyone any fees. Point l was trying to make is that on the BST board I have found that the live auction section is a lot of work. I’d rather just settle on a fair price and list it for sale.

I have to agree with Steve here. In my experience, every time i have put anything on the BST auction, it ends up selling for peanuts to someone whose handle i have never even seen before. I think there’s a subset of members who just lurk on the bst hunting for bargains and otherwise hide in the shadows. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but in my experience i have always done better on ebay, even with the fees.