PDA

View Full Version : Old Judge ID Help

Nyk27
10-07-2020, 05:28 PM
Hi, Picked these up a long time ago and could never identify who they are. One of them is probably a lost cause, but any help by Old Judge collectors more savvy than I is appreciated.

Steve D
10-07-2020, 06:04 PM
I believe the first one is John Burdock of Boston NL, pose 53-2.

The second one appears to be Con Daley of Boston NL, pose 112-4.

Steve

rhettyeakley
10-07-2020, 06:47 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these are reprints.

In the 1970's there was a lady in California "Janet H." (I know her full name but don't want to throw that out in case she has family or something as it was a long time ago) that was producing these Old Judge cards and marketing them to the bigger collectors of the day via offers in the mail and she was ripping them off with these reprints. They measure smaller than the real deal are on the wrong paper stock and are very glossy on the surface and all the images are garbage. I have several that I got from a collection from one of the most prominent dealers in the NW. I even have the correspendence from the fraudster. She also made her own copies from other sets (Henry Johnson, HRK, etc) and was basically just a terrible person.

I can post scans of mine if anybody wants to see them. She made them either with blank or with these fraudulent "Dry Goods" backs. Every once in a while you will find these cards mixed in old time collections along with legitimate Old Judge cards.

Steve D
10-07-2020, 06:50 PM
The third one looks like Tom O'Rourke, Boston NL, pose 359-6.

Steve

trdcrdkid
10-07-2020, 07:55 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these are reprints.

In the 1970's there was a lady in California "Janet H." (I know her full name but don't want to throw that out in case she has family or something as it was a long time ago) that was producing these Old Judge cards and marketing them to the bigger collectors of the day via offers in the mail and she was ripping them off with these reprints. They measure smaller than the real deal are on the wrong paper stock and are very glossy on the surface and all the images are garbage. I have several that I got from a collection from one of the most prominent dealers in the NW. I even have the correspendence from the fraudster. She also made her own copies from other sets (Henry Johnson, HRK, etc) and was basically just a terrible person.

I can post scans of mine if anybody wants to see them. She made them either with blank or with these fraudulent "Dry Goods" backs. Every once in a while you will find these cards mixed in old time collections along with legitimate Old Judge cards.

Here is my post about that counterfeiting scandal and related ones from 1972 to 1974, in case anybody is really interested:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262868

Nyk27
10-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Thanks so much. I had no clue. I bought these in the late 1980s at an antique auction in Pennsylvania.

chlankf
10-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Glad to see you posted your question here.
Craig

Thanks so much. I had no clue. I bought these in the late 1980s at an antique auction in Pennsylvania.