PDA

View Full Version : Should this postcard really be priced at $1300?

pbspelly
09-18-2020, 11:10 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Chicago-White-Sox-Tour-California-Dingman-Real-Photo-Postcard/372503307975?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm aware that anyone can price anything for any amount, I'm just curious whether my understanding of its value is that far removed from reality.

Bicem
09-18-2020, 11:31 AM
It's rare and there are a lot of way more overpriced items on ebay.

Leon
09-18-2020, 11:35 AM
That ebayer is a board member and is a good guy to deal with. Many times if you message him (hey Rhett) he can provide a discount too. Tell him your a forum member and it could help your cause. :)

Snapolit1
09-18-2020, 12:00 PM
Items like this that are exceedingly scarce, if not one of a kind, really aren't susceptible to an easy pricing formula.

edjs
09-18-2020, 01:52 PM
That ebayer is a board member and is a good guy to deal with. Many times if you message him (hey Rhett) he can provide a discount too. Tell him your a forum member and it could help your cause. :)

That’s Rhys.

pbspelly
09-18-2020, 02:02 PM
Fair enough. It sounds like this pricing, while perhaps on the high side, may not be totally out of bounds. Out of my price range, but not out of bounds. Thanks

Leon
09-18-2020, 02:12 PM
That’s Rhys.

Always get their names mixed up. They know me LOL...

brianp-beme
09-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Always get their names mixed up. They know me LOL...

Leon, I know for a fact that collectively Rhett and Rhys refer to you as Leo.

Brian (please do not attempt to employ a fact-checker in regards to above statement, as that would be a waste of money whether true or not)

slidekellyslide
09-18-2020, 09:04 PM
Dingman RPPCs are very desirable.

prewarsports
09-18-2020, 09:52 PM
Guilty

You do research and try and price things with the 20% ebay cut at the end in mind. If its high, I am easy to work with and generally give 25% off to board members off ebay.

I one time bought a scrapbook on ebay with two 1923 Rose Bowl tickets inside. I tried to do all the research I could and never found a record of one selling so ultimately decided to put one on ebay for a super high price (in my mind) $3k. It sold in an hour. I figured I would go higher with the next one, $4k. It sold again. I was pretty proud of myself (the scrapbook was $125) until I got an e mail the next day asking me to please contact the winner and offer him $8k for the last one I sold. So I sold $16k worth of tickets for $7k thinking I had overpriced them.

Point is, I try to be reasonable with prices and I sell a ton of stuff, but you can always go down a bit, but never up once its gone :)

Rhys

bigred1
09-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Always get amazed by the connections on this board. Nice to get sellers input.

pbspelly
09-19-2020, 08:33 AM
Guilty

You do research and try and price things with the 20% ebay cut at the end in mind. If its high, I am easy to work with and generally give 25% off to board members off ebay.

I one time bought a scrapbook on ebay with two 1923 Rose Bowl tickets inside. I tried to do all the research I could and never found a record of one selling so ultimately decided to put one on ebay for a super high price (in my mind) $3k. It sold in an hour. I figured I would go higher with the next one, $4k. It sold again. I was pretty proud of myself (the scrapbook was $125) until I got an e mail the next day asking me to please contact the winner and offer him $8k for the last one I sold. So I sold $16k worth of tickets for $7k thinking I had overpriced them.

Point is, I try to be reasonable with prices and I sell a ton of stuff, but you can always go down a bit, but never up once its gone :)

Rhys
I appreciate the response. My query was not meant to imply you were doing anything wrong, but rather to get more views--from people more knowledgeable than I am--about the true "market price" for the postcard, and whether it was really worth that much. I did not know you were a member and was not attempting to shame you or anything.

Leon
09-22-2020, 12:02 PM
I appreciate the response. My query was not meant to imply you were doing anything wrong, but rather to get more views--from people more knowledgeable than I am--about the true "market price" for the postcard, and whether it was really worth that much. I did not know you were a member and was not attempting to shame you or anything.

Nice response. As others have said, it is hard to put a market price on really scarce stuff. When in auction, and 2-3 people really want something that won't come up again for years, you can throw out comparables. :)

And every thread needs a card and here is one I paid around 12k for not that long ago. Average price on a 6 is probably half that. And I was happy to pay it. Comparables are often not comparable. :cool:

https://luckeycards.com/tyt205.jpg

hcv123
09-22-2020, 02:55 PM
Nice response. As others have said, it is hard to put a market price on really scarce stuff. When in auction, and 2-3 people really want something that won't come up again for years, you can throw out comparables. :)

And every thread needs a card and here is one I paid around 12k for not that long ago. Average price on a 6 is probably half that. And I was happy to pay it. Comparables are often not comparable. :cool:

https://luckeycards.com/tyt205.jpg

I echo the sentiment that has already been expressed - The 1 of 1's or items where there may be a couple of copies that almost never come up for sale - the buyer and seller collectively set the market a sale at a time.