PDA

View Full Version : When passing on a card is a good thing

x2drich2000
09-08-2020, 02:59 PM
Every so often we see threads asking what cards do you regret passing on, so lets change that around. What cards or deals are you glad you passed on?

A few years ago at one of the Philly Shows a dealer had a W554 Gehrig that I was interested in when I just starting on the set. I wanted to make a trade, but in the end the dealer wanted around $2k in trade including a few D304s and a few caramels including my E92 Nadja Miller. I'm glad I didn't do the deal as the Miller card is now part of Nadja set and another has not come up for sale since. I've since bought a copy of the Gehrig, but still thankful I didn't make that trade.

packs
09-08-2020, 03:05 PM
I was underbidder on a whole bunch of the signed T206 cards that turned out to be fake. I have since tried to move on entirely from autographs.

ullmandds
09-08-2020, 03:20 PM
u gotta rub that e92 nadja miller in...don't you!!!!

Exhibitman
09-08-2020, 04:58 PM
There was one card I remember seeing in a collection and telling the owner that if he ever wanted to sell it, please let me make an offer. He consigned it to auction instead and I ended up owning it for half of what I would have offered him directly.

NiceDocter
09-08-2020, 09:58 PM
thats it in a nutshell!

cubman1941
09-09-2020, 05:09 AM
Not vintage but many years ago I went into a dealers shop and he had a 1968 Nolan Ryan rookie card for sale. He wanted $1000. I told him I would take it if he paid the sales tax. He wouldn't do that so I didn't buy it. Since I am a Cubs guy and just wanted it to have it, I am glad I didn't buy it since that money has been spent on vintage Cubs since then.

Griffins
09-09-2020, 09:39 AM
I was the underbidder on a card on ebay in 2008 that sold for 4800. Only 2 copies of the card is known, and I always kicked myself I didn't go higher. Earlier this year I won the exact card in REA for 1/3 of the price.

riggs336
09-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Many, many years ago when I knew even less than I know now, I was outbid on a beautiful uncut sheet of Fro-joys. In color!

steve B
09-09-2020, 10:48 PM
The stamp guy I go to gave cards a try in 87. Bought some nice stuff. One thing he had was a Ty Cobb letter. Great condition, cobb stationery, green ink. The first page was pretty straight stuff, thanks for writing, good to hear from a fan etc.
The second page.... was a bit rough but exactly the sort of stuff Cobbs rep was at the time.
He wanted 700, and I seriously considered it. Having to do better on some classwork and a couple small car repairs delayed the saving up, and it sold.

I now know that it was probably a total fabrication by Stump.

Pretty glad I didn't end up buying it.

He also had a photo of Fenway park signed by "some front office guy" That also sold. I ended up finding it at a show years later and while it's Fenway, the signature on the back is Frank Navin.... yeah, just "some front office guy" :)

Leon
09-10-2020, 10:26 AM
I passed on a 1932 Babe Ruth schedule? card several years back. I think it had Goudey on it or something. It sold for 15k+ two different times and I was the underbidder both times. It turned out to be fake. :eek:

Seven
09-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Not a card, but in my quest to complete the Ron Lewis "Living Legends" set, I found a complete set at the most Recent REA auction. It ended up going for $1500. A couple of weeks ago I documented how I stumbled onto a complete set on eBay for almost 1/3rd of that price. Sometimes it works out!