PDA

View Full Version : In the neighborhood

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-03-2020, 03:33 PM
I'm going to be in Hopkinton and Lowell Massachusetts on the 12th on a pick up if anyone wants to grab a beer (if that's possible anymore!) taking 84 through PA and NY and could meet on the way back as well.

bigfish
09-03-2020, 06:56 PM
Hey Scott, Check out the startline brewery in Hopkinton. Open Wednesday - Sunday. Great beer and the brisket is fantastic. Local owner who really enjoys his beer. Worth a look if in town.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-04-2020, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Bocabirdman
09-04-2020, 01:47 PM
Hey Scott, Check out the startline brewery in Hopkinton. Open Wednesday - Sunday. Great beer and the brisket is fantastic. Local owner who really enjoys his beer. Worth a look if in town.

The name is, of course, referencing The Boston Marathon which starts in Hoptown.:D

kailes2872
09-04-2020, 07:32 PM

My old boss owns it. He left the corporate world in 2015, went to beer school and started his own shop. Super good dude and you will enjoy the beer!

Michael B
09-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Lowell is the home of Micky Ward and Dicky Ecklund of 'The Fighter' fame. Micky still lives there. The city is not only rough around the edges, it is rough all over. They were trying to polish it up a bit when I still lived in Mass. and would go to the courthouse there for work.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-05-2020, 06:46 AM
Knew the town name sounded familiar. I was a huge boxing fan in those days. It didn't get better than Ward vs Gatti

DHogan
09-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Lowell is a lot nicer than it used to be. The University of Massachusetts is cleaning up their act in Lowell too.

Michael B
09-05-2020, 02:55 PM
Lowell is a lot nicer than it used to be. The University of Massachusetts is cleaning up their act in Lowell too.

Good to hear. It was still a bit rough when I moved away in 2004. Tsongas Arena did seem to help along with the minor league ball park. I grew up in Waltham and also lived in Walpole and Worcester. My job had me travelling to court houses all over the state so I saw quite a bit. A friends son goes to UMass/Lowell. He is a bit of a genius started working on cube sats (satellites) for NASA while a sophomore.

steve B
09-05-2020, 10:14 PM
I've been in Lowell since 1997, and it's gotten a lot nicer. sadly that meant that some of the cool but occasionally iffy places have become more mainstream.

Michael B
09-06-2020, 12:42 AM
I've been in Lowell since 1997, and it's gotten a lot nicer. sadly that meant that some of the cool but occasionally iffy places have become more mainstream.

I used to go to Lowell Superior Court on Gorham Street. On the rare occasion I ate out for lunch Santoro's one block up had decent pizza. One of my old autograph collecting buddies lived in Lowell. Retired State Trooper and his father was some sort of politician in town. Clement G. McDonough Magnet School named the father.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-06-2020, 09:37 AM

So you live in Lowell and share a last name with my company, yet you didn't respond to meet up and have a beer. I'm hurt :(

DHogan
09-06-2020, 11:51 AM
JJ Bommers at 705 Pawtucket Blvd Rt 113, Lowell, MA (978) 970-3159 always had good food. I always stopped there with my wife for late lunches or supper.