PDA

View Full Version : A Dilemma Any Auction House Employee Could Face

marzoumanian
09-01-2020, 07:44 AM
Have you ever watched that ABC television program, What Would You Do? It's hosted by John Quinones. He films actors behaving inappropriately in a public setting and then watches how unsuspecting citizens around them react to the situation.
Well, what would you do if you worked at a sports memorabilia auction house and believed you witnessed one of your fellow employees doing "things" to baseball cards or pieces of sports memorabilia that you believed were inappropriate? But this wasn't staged for television. It's the subject of my latest blog at www.markearzoumanian.com. Click on "Love of the Hobby."

topcat61
09-01-2020, 08:20 AM
I've never seen the show but speaking as a former whistleblower, or CI, I would caution anyone from confronting the person or employer directly. Gather as much credible information as you can and contact a lawyer and law enforcement if the occasion arises and figure out the best solution. And it doesn't matter if its an Auction House or regular employer.

There can be a severe cost to finance, health and marriage to diming out your employer and you better understand the consequences before going forward. I got lucky and won my case, but I lost 5 years in court, went from 165 lbs. to 118 lbs. from the stress and could only get a retail gig because no other company would hire a whistleblower. Don't get me wrong, it was the right thing to do and I'd do it again, but go about it differently.

I'm all for standing up for the integrity of the Hobby to ensure it's longevity, as Frank Nagy once said “The hobby of card collecting tomorrow will only be as good as we all make it today” but I'm only speaking for myself here.

doug.goodman
09-01-2020, 08:53 AM
Have you ever watched that ABC television program, What Would You Do? It's hosted by John Quinones. He films actors behaving inappropriately in a public setting and then watches how unsuspecting citizens around them react to the situation.
Well, what would you do if you worked at a sports memorabilia auction house and believed you witnessed one of your fellow employees doing "things" to baseball cards or pieces of sports memorabilia that you believed were inappropriate? But this wasn't staged for television. It's the subject of my latest blog at www.markearzoumanian.com. Click on "Love of the Hobby."

Link to your site doesn't work

marzoumanian
09-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Thanks, Doug. I just clicked on it and it went through. Once you get to my website, click on the "Love of the Hobby" section for the Sept. 1 blog. Let me know if you still have problems. Peace.

doug.goodman
09-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Well, now it's working for me, too.

Michael B
09-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Well, now it's working for me, too.

Did you forget the double secret handshake?