PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful USPS - drop it and RUN...

Fred
08-31-2020, 04:20 PM
Today I received a package from REA and the postal service did a heck of a job with it. I’m 100% certain it didn’t leave REA in this condition. I heard the door bell ring. The USPS delivery person was at my door. The screen door was closed but the front door was opened. I heard the postal delivery person say “I’m signing for your package and I’ll leave it on the porch”. I knew it was my REA package so I told the USPS carrier I’d be right there.

ME: "Am I supposed to sign for it?"
USPS: "No, with COVID, we sign for it and leave it on your porch"
ME: "Did you happen to notice the condition of the package?"

I looked at the package and couldn’t believe what I saw. USPS was going to sign for it, drop it and run. I told the USPS person to wait while I got my phone to take a picture of it. They didn’t want to wait but did. Then I told them I wanted them to take note of the condition of the package.

I asked USPS what would happen if there was damage to the contents after I opened the package. USPS asked “how would I know if you didn’t damage it?”. That was it. I told USPS to wait while I got something to open it while they witnessed it. By the time I got back (less than 5 seconds), they were walking away. I ran to their vehicle and said, just watch me open it.

I couldn’t believe they were going to sign for the package, drop it off and run in the condition of that package and then try to tell me that they wouldn’t know if I caused the damage to the contents. Luckily the content was well packaged. A quarter inch more on the indentation would have cracked the slab. USPS – what a great service.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=416367&stc=1&d=1598912200

Seven
08-31-2020, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Fred. I'm glad that all things considered, the contents weren't damaged. Ever since my troubles with the post office a few months ago, plus all I have seen in the news, I have been very worried about sending or receiving anything I say a silent prayer and hope for the best.

I recently purchased something on ebay, and before hand I specifically asked the seller if he wouldn't mind sending it registered mail. In the hope that the package would actually be taken care of properly. We'll find out when I get it (again fingers crossed). I'm hoping once things settle down and the pandemic starts becoming a thing of the past, after the vaccine, things will get better.

GasHouseGang
08-31-2020, 06:35 PM
That's terrible damage. I can't image how they crushed it so bad. I'm glad for you and amazed that the contents weren't damaged! The way you handled that was smart.

deadballfreaK
09-01-2020, 12:55 AM
I got a padded mailer last week that was all scuffed up and actually had tire tracks on it. Fortunately cards were undamaged.

Yankees1964
09-01-2020, 05:56 AM
Having your letter carrier witness it would not have meant anything. Also, their scanners have trackers in them now and with the crap that the new PMG is doing if they stand in place for too long it triggers an alert (a supervisor was sent out after a letter carrier in my neighborhood because he backed his truck up when he wasn't supposed to and then followed him for an hour). He should have scanned it as "damaged". That is not the way to get a package at all but with processing 500 million pieces a day something is bound to go wrong. It sucks that it was yours but if there is one thing that REA does is package things good.

Since the new PMG was in front of congress last week, most of what he was doing to slow down the mail has been stopped. He caused the mail to be backed up like it never was before, and now there has been all kinds of overtime to get everything out.

I got a package that was mailed from Maine on Saturday at my house in PA yesterday. I had a card that I mailed to someone in CA on the 25th from PA delivered on the 27th.

I have had more issues with Fed EX and UPS lately and forget the new Amazon delivery people, I think my guy tries to punt my packages from the street to my porch.

Bigdaddy
09-01-2020, 06:28 AM
Just Google "Postal worker dumpster" and see how many different stories, and videos, come up.

joejo20
09-01-2020, 06:48 AM
The mail carrier scanner has an option to scan as visible damage. I have asked the carrier to do this on occasion in case I needed to make a claim after opening the package. It should at least show documentation on the tracking info that the item was scanned with visible damage to the package. Joe

buymycards
09-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Just Google "Postal worker dumpster" and see how many different stories, and videos, come up.

Remember, the Postal Service employs more than a half a million people, and over the past 20 years probably 4-5 million people have worked for the Postal Service, so yes, there are going to be some horrible employees, but the vast majority are good, hard working, honest people.

bigfish
09-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Remember, the Postal Service employs more than a half a million people, and over the past 20 years probably 4-5 million people have worked for the Postal Service, so yes, there are going to be some horrible employees, but the vast majority are good, hard working, honest people.

Majority are great just like the police and every other place of employment.

I sent a package to CT containing a 2000 Cy Young card. It was marked delivered the buyer did not get the card. I called the postmaster and told him the story. His response was a bumbling line of shit. I gently told him I would be there in the morning and would be happy to assist him in looking for my package.

He called back and it was miraculously found. Sometimes it’s important to push back. These losers will try to steal anything that has value.

buymycards
09-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Majority are great just like the police and every other place of employment.

I sent a package to CT containing a 2000 Cy Young card. It was marked delivered the buyer did not get the card. I called the postmaster and told him the story. His response was a bumbling line of shit. I gently told him I would be there in the morning and would be happy to assist him in looking for my package.

He called back and it was miraculously found. Sometimes it important to push back. These losers will try to steal anything that has value.

I always tell people that the best way to solve a PO problem is a one on one sit down with the Postmaster. Bypass the clerks and supervisor and go straight to the Postmaster. Document your conversation, and if you don't feel like you are getting anywhere, ask the Postmaster for the phone number of his/her boss.

Ricky
09-02-2020, 01:26 PM
I had a USPS issue last week. I bought a E123 Curtis Ireland card on Ebay, so a scarce and not easily replaceable card. I received an email on Saturday saying it had been delivered but it wasn't with my mail. Right away, I figured the package had been dropped off at another house. On Monday morning, I tried calling the post office but after about an hour of busy signals, I ended up driving to the post office where I showed a manager the tracking number. She checked and told me to go home, my carrier would check a certain house. Sure enough, about an hour later, the carrier dropped the package in my mailbox. I got lucky because whoever received the card could have opened it, decided they wanted to keep it and when the carrier came to ask, just told them that they never saw the package. Second time this has happened to me with a card. Just deliver to the right house!

7nohitter
09-02-2020, 07:46 PM
Every single time I read one of these posts I am thankful for the local PO where I live. EVERY person there is ALWAYS friendly, happy, offer great service...I'm always sure to complete the survey after each visit as I hope the good feedback gets back to them....Rick, maybe you could confirm the usefulness of those surveys?

sycks22
09-02-2020, 07:47 PM
I got this from Fedex a couple weeks back. Lots of big dollar items in there. Pretty sure the fedex guy hates me.

The-Cardfather
09-02-2020, 08:43 PM
See the link below for a video that I posted to YouTube today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnLScLzFTU8

My goal is to shame this Jackass FedEx guy (and other delivery drivers) not to do this kind of thing. My efforts are probably futile, since most of these guys have no shame.

BTW - I just happen to be inside with my 78 year-old mother when this delivery was made.

GasHouseGang
09-02-2020, 08:52 PM
I'm not as amazed at that damaged package as I am that old cellphone laying next to it! :D Just kidding. My kids used to always give me a hard time about still using a flip phone.

carlsonjok
09-03-2020, 05:48 AM
I got a padded mailer last week that was all scuffed up and actually had tire tracks on it. Fortunately cards were undamaged.

This comment reminded me of something. I am working on autographed 1960-1963 Fleer cards and, about 5 years ago, had sent one off to a private (and expensive) signing by Sandy Koufax. Since I work a 45-60 minute drive from home, I chose to have UPS drop it off at the local Mailboxes, Etc store. This is what greeted me when I picked it up:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MIYroWafTZE/VUAoZCDZi1I/AAAAAAAAFFM/8b7Oy9-N91E/s1600/envelope.JPG

Thankfully, it was well packaged and the card was undamaged, but still.

robkas68
09-03-2020, 06:10 AM
I sent a package to a buyer last week priority mail. They buyer lives in Massachusetts and I live in Illinois. The package is now late, but shows that it just passed through Anchorage Alaska. WTF USPS????

buymycards
09-03-2020, 06:36 AM
Every single time I read one of these posts I am thankful for the local PO where I live. EVERY person there is ALWAYS friendly, happy, offer great service...I'm always sure to complete the survey after each visit as I hope the good feedback gets back to them....Rick, maybe you could confirm the usefulness of those surveys?

The Postal Service is really pushing those surveys, but they don't offer a free order of french fries like McDonald's does with their surveys. :) The consumer affairs office does track the survey results, and they follow up on negative responses. Surprisingly, there are many customers like you who make an effort to use the surveys in a positive way, rather than to make a complaint about a problem. Thank you for giving good feedback to the employees in your Post Office.

Rick

perezfan
09-03-2020, 07:27 AM
This comment reminded me of something. I am working on autographed 1960-1963 Fleer cards and, about 5 years ago, had sent one off to a private (and expensive) signing by Sandy Koufax. Since I work a 45-60 minute drive from home, I chose to have UPS drop it off at the local Mailboxes, Etc store. This is what greeted me when I picked it up:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MIYroWafTZE/VUAoZCDZi1I/AAAAAAAAFFM/8b7Oy9-N91E/s1600/envelope.JPG

Thankfully, it was well packaged and the card was undamaged, but still.

Even with the recent delays, I would choose the Post Office over UPS any day of the week. Cannot even count the number of mutilated boxes I've received from UPS. They simply don't care, and when you try to file a claim, there is ALWAYS something in the fine print to ensure you are denied.

The box you pictured is actually one of their better efforts. :eek:

bundy462
09-03-2020, 07:48 AM
I just got this beauty within the last month. Same deal, USPS just left it on the porch even thought it was insured with signature required. Luckily the other member that I purchased the card from did a super job packaging and there was no damage.

I'd like to know how a box even gets this banged up.

Tao_Moko
09-03-2020, 08:52 AM
I'm probably not alone here as a shipper, but I spend a lot of money annually with ground, LTL and FTL shipments for my ag business. Small to some, but I move 300-600 tons/wk. UPS has hired, almost blindly, untrained drivers to try and keep up with volume. USPS is dealing with it's existing infrastructure and logistical challenges and now a new heap of poo on top of that with XPO's old boss, Dejoy, running the show as Postmaster General. Taking a subsidized gov agency and trying to make it run lean is at this point futile at best. We're prime for inflation and based off of the last 4-6 weeks of inbound freight cost that I'm experiencing suggests major adjustments on the horizon. I'm not an economist(not sure anyone is a reliable economist at present), but from my view, the shippers are just trying to keep up and are more willing to accept higher rates of damage, loss and delays. There are more loads than trucks nationwide right now and that ultimately translates to small package volume. UPS will be modifying our expectations very soon as their busy season approaches and I'd expect USPS to follow suit. My rep has asked for a Zoom to discuss "at my earliest convenience" changes coming.

7nohitter
09-03-2020, 11:21 AM
The Postal Service is really pushing those surveys, but they don't offer a free order of french fries like McDonald's does with their surveys. :) The consumer affairs office does track the survey results, and they follow up on negative responses. Surprisingly, there are many customers like you who make an effort to use the surveys in a positive way, rather than to make a complaint about a problem. Thank you for giving good feedback to the employees in your Post Office.

Rick

Thanks for the response, I'm always appreciative of your insight!

DHogan
09-03-2020, 12:03 PM
I worked at an air freight company for 20 years. Not UPS or Fed Ex. I've seen some pretty screwed up employees, do some stupid moves that damaged packages and cargo. They didn't care. Management in air freight are the worst people to work for. They don't care. As long as the loading dock was clear of freight every night.

MikeGarcia
09-03-2020, 03:54 PM
...as a seller and a do-it-yourselfer packer/shipper/mailer this thread reinforces my paranoia about over-protecting the cards I USPS mail out , even the ones in old sturdy bomb-proof BGS slabs from before 9/11....does anyone else here remember a brilliant commercial for Samsonite luggage , featuring a hyperactive gorilla ? I always assume that's who is taking care of my packages......
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/1957FOXBGS_NEW.JPG

....fifty thousand years from now when archeologists are digging up this particular layer of sediment I predict they will find opossum skulls , REA catalogues , Kent cigarette filters , and pre 9/11 Beckett holders....

jerseygary
09-03-2020, 07:15 PM
With the pandemic more people are reading and I've been selling many signed copies of my book. When I needed more, I ordered a box from my publisher, Simon and Schuster.

Simon and Schuster's not a fly-by-night outfit, but one of the largest publishers in the world, right? So you'd think that when my box of 20 books arrived they would have secured the top, bottom and sides with more than one strand of tape.

The box had busted open and all 20 books were splayed out across my front porch like a book shop display. Fortunately I found them soon after they were dropped off and the porch was clean and dry, so no harm.

I call this one a warehouse screw up combined with a real crappy FedEx delivery man who would leave it like that - unless he really liked the cover design and wanted the neighbors to see.

Fred
09-03-2020, 07:45 PM
I received that package on Monday. On Tuesday I went to the post office to speak with a carrier supervisor to voice my concern. I learned a couple of things: (1) USPS "used to" have a check box for the carriers to indicate a package was damaged when the delivery was attempted. That option is no longer available for the carriers. (2) The carrier was under no obligation to wait for me to get a camera and take pictures or watch me open the package (I kind of figured that anyway). The supervisor did say that the carrier handled the situation poorly and would speak to the carrier about the accusatory comment about not knowing whether or not I damaged the content if I opened the package.

What would have happened if I didn't get to the carrier before they bailed? What would USPS have done if the contents were damaged and I tried to convince them that it arrived that way? I'd almost have no way to prove a case because it would have become the carriers word against mine.

I still can't believe USPS tried to sign for it, drop it and bail out as fast as they could even though there was that much obvious damage to the package.

I used to try and support USPS by keeping my bills/statements coming via the postal service. I am now moving towards paperless statements because I'm at the point where I don't TRUST them anymore.