PDA

View Full Version : Teams honoring players years before retirement

Snapolit1
08-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Was reading a news article about Mel Ott Night, which was held by the NY Giants in August 1940. Referenced that the Dodgers were having a Freddie Fitzsimmons night the following week. Was this a common practice back in the day to honor a player with a huge ceremony (gifts, etc.) when they were still active and years before they retired?
I bet if the Angels did this next week for Mike Trout people would be complaining that something like this would never happened back in the golden days and that it somehow reflects badly on the team and player.

packs
08-26-2020, 10:10 AM
I think these nights have been replaced by giveaways like Noah Syndergaard Star Wars bobble head night, etc.

bgar3
08-26-2020, 10:40 AM
I remember and have seen references to nights for players, usually near the end of the season, frequently tied to a team mvp award for a season.
The only modern player I collect , Ashburn, was honored on such a night in 1951
As the mvp of Philadelphia. Apparently someone decided to paint the award ceremony and they survived.

AGuinness
08-26-2020, 10:53 AM
I'd think that with the advent of the players union, events such as that wouldn't be allowed as they would likely be considered compensation outside the contract the player signed.

jerseygary
08-26-2020, 01:04 PM
Many of the times there was a "Day" for a player at the park it was organized by an outside group, like local businessmen or kids groups. Sometimes fans and dignitaries from a player's hometown would come to the park to have a "day" for their hometown boy and give him gifts.

Back in the 1920s-1950s any player could have a "day" at the park as long as someone or group sponsored it.

There were always gifts like luggage, shotguns or fishing poles and sometimes even a car because the players didn't make all that much more than the working stiff. After the 1960s when salaries went way up, there wasn't anything fans could chip in to buy a player that he couldn't already buy himself out of his own pocket.

Plus, in the modern era players switched teams so often there was no more loyalty that would earn a player that kind of idolation in the local community.

Minor league teams did this a lot more frequently back in the 1920s-50s, especially when a player got called up. Then the gift of a new set of luggage was really welcome.

Snapolit1
08-26-2020, 02:43 PM
Thanks Gary. Awesome info.

QUOTE=jerseygary;2012009]Many of the times there was a "Day" for a player at the park it was organized by an outside group, like local businessmen or kids groups. Sometimes fans and dignitaries from a player's hometown would come to the park to have a "day" for their hometown boy and give him gifts.

Back in the 1920s-1950s any player could have a "day" at the park as long as someone or group sponsored it.

There were always gifts like luggage, shotguns or fishing poles and sometimes even a car because the players didn't make all that much more than the working stiff. After the 1960s when salaries went way up, there wasn't anything fans could chip in to buy a player that he couldn't already buy himself out of his own pocket.

Plus, in the modern era players switched teams so often there was no more loyalty that would earn a player that kind of idolation in the local community.

Minor league teams did this a lot more frequently back in the 1920s-50s, especially when a player got called up. Then the gift of a new set of luggage was really welcome.[/QUOTE]

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
08-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Back in 1902 the city of Hannibal honored Jake Beckley with a day when the Reds took a train up from St. Louis to play a team of locals here. They took up collection and gave him $50!

Snapolit1
08-26-2020, 06:57 PM
Back in 1902 the city of Hannibal honored Jake Beckley with a day when the Reds took a train up from St. Louis to play a team of locals here. They took up collection and gave him $50!

Prob was real $$ to him.

Rich Klein
08-26-2020, 10:51 PM
In a much more modern twist, Harold Baines had his uniform number retired in 1989 or 90 when the White Sox traded him to the Rangers. He only had about another decade in the major leagues before he actually retired.

SAllen2556
08-27-2020, 05:33 AM
Here's a little snippet about Charlie Bennett, catcher for the world champion Detroits in 1887. He was 32 and played another 6 seasons until he lost his legs in a train accident. I think honoring current players was quite common back in the day.

Here's Charlie Gehringer Day in 1929. Gehringer played through 1942.

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
08-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Prob was real $$ to him.

I think that's about two thousand dollars in today's world.

Gary Dunaier
08-29-2020, 08:56 PM

I think that's about two thousand dollars in today's world.

Actually, $1,495 in 2019 dollars. (I tried to get the figure in 2020 dollars but the website I used (https://westegg.com/inflation/) said "We don't yet know the inflation rate for the current year! So we'll use last year, instead, okay?")

birdman42
08-30-2020, 08:34 AM
Washington held an "Eddie Yost Day" in September 1953. The Walking Man played there through the 1958 season--then another 4 seasons between the Tigers and the Angels.

ValKehl
08-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Washington held an "Eddie Yost Day" in September 1953. The Walking Man played there through the 1958 season--then another 4 seasons between the Tigers and the Angels.

I can't resist this shameless plug for this special score card (autographed by Yost) that was issued for Eddie Yost Day. I currently have it listed on eBay (with more pics) - if interested, send me a PM for a better price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353180857291?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

doug.goodman
08-31-2020, 11:08 AM
Yogi Berra Day Sept 19, 1959

doug.goodman
08-31-2020, 03:21 PM
Bucky Harris night, May 25, 1954

Mantle hit a HR to celebrate