PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

cammb
08-23-2020, 06:24 AM
I am selling a very expensive card on eBay and received an offer I would normally accept. However the buyers feedback is 0. Would you go ahead and sell and rely one bays guarantee or just not take the chance? I have 12 hours left.

rjackson44
08-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Hi tony no!!

Fballguy
08-23-2020, 06:33 AM
I am selling a very expensive card on eBay and received an offer I would normally accept. However the buyers feedback is 0. Would you go ahead and sell and rely one bays guarantee or just not take the chance? I have 12 hours left.

Is it zero because he hasn't been active in a while or did he join the same day he made the offer? It's a tough spot. Ebay tends to protect the buyer more than the seller. Depending on what the definition of "very expensive" is, I'd likely sit this one out. Just not worth the risk to me. If you did accept, I'd insure it to the max and require signature on delivery. With the current state of the USPS, the buyer might be the least of your worries. Good luck.

chalupacollects
08-23-2020, 06:36 AM
no is a new user...

cammb
08-23-2020, 06:46 AM
Is it zero because he hasn't been active in a while or did he join the same day he made the offer? It's a tough spot. Ebay tends to protect the buyer more than the seller. Depending on what the definition of "very expensive" is, I'd likely sit this one out. Just not worth the risk to me. If you did accept, I'd insure it to the max and require signature on delivery. With the current state of the USPS, the buyer might be the least of your worries. Good luck.

The buyer joined 8/12 this year registered with 2 different user names on same day

cammb
08-23-2020, 06:55 AM
The buyer joined 8/12 this year registered with 2 different user names on same day

He just received his first positive feedback

Rhotchkiss
08-23-2020, 07:03 AM
No. Plain and simple. You do not sell an expensive card on ebay to a person with zero feedback

Leon
08-23-2020, 07:34 AM

That gives me some comfort. :confused:

It isn't a lot different than buying a card from our BST that is too good to be true, the member has 1-2 posts, and is newly registered.

Jim65
08-23-2020, 07:38 AM
My rule is if I'm uncomfortable, I don't do it. We all started at 0 feedback but if you don't feel right, move on.

icurnmedic
08-23-2020, 07:43 AM
Absolutely Don't! eBay is all about the buyers protection. If more than a few hundred , I wouldn't do it.

edjs
08-23-2020, 08:10 AM
Simple. Can you afford to eat the loss if the deal goes sour and you give up the card for nothing? If not, don’t take the risk.

MikeGarcia
08-23-2020, 08:22 AM
..just the act of asking on here tells you the answer....
...listen to your good old gut....

TUM301
08-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Can see a couple outcomes. One it’s fine. Two, your card is gone as is the “buyer”. Lastly the transaction blows up I E, buyer pulls any number of the usual B S scams. If you are like me fighting back and forth with this guy AND eBay would drive me nuts every day and reliving my second thoughts, no help either. Better buyers will be out there and it just seems you would be sweating this out way too much. My 2 cents Sir, good luck

iwantitiwinit
08-23-2020, 08:38 AM
Absolutely no way.

Mark17
08-23-2020, 08:52 AM

Didn't you just answer your own question? I have been on ebay for 20 years and have never seen a reason to have more than one username.

cammb
08-23-2020, 08:57 AM
Not one positive. Thanks for all your feedback. Will wait until another comes by.

RL
08-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Tony, when you first started buying / selling on ebay, how much feedback did you have?

My guess is zero.

ncinin
08-23-2020, 03:12 PM
I would have the same concern as you in this matter.

However in the past I had zero feedback, new users buy bigger $ cards from me on EBAY.

One was a SGC 1 1952 Topps Mantle > $5,000 (remember those days?). I researched the buyer online, the shipping address, etc and it turned out to be an attorney and the address was his office address.

The other was a PSA or SGC 4 or 5 caramel card of Cobb for north of $4,000. My research found he was a crime scene investigator in a small town in Georgia.

I shipped both and were fine. I would do some research on the buyer's name and address online to see if you can determine the buyer's occupation, etc.

sbfinley
08-23-2020, 04:09 PM
I’m not giving advice one way or another, but 2-3 Christmas’s ago my wife made a new profile to purchase me a rather expensive pre-war card as a gift (at about 40% over market) as we’ve shared ID since we were 18 year olds dating in 2002. The seller canceled the sale after she paid and accused her of scamming. She responded for the reason for the 0 feedback and he still refused to sell. She ended up getting me something else instead. The card is still setting in the eBay museum.

cammb
08-23-2020, 06:43 PM
Tony, when you first started buying / selling on ebay, how much feedback did you have?

My guess is zero.

I started to build by feedback gradually. Wouldnt think of buying a 9k card. My main concern is ebays policy of sticking it to the seller most of the time. Ebay states that a buyer cannot have "buyer's remorse" for a reason to return but ignores it. Haad to go with my gut feeling. I declined offer and did tell buyer the reason.m

Bram99
08-23-2020, 06:57 PM
If you put the link to the item in this thread maybe someone will buy it direct as a BST. That person in Net54 may have references that allow you to speak at night.

Jewish-collector
08-23-2020, 11:00 PM
This thread really gets interesting if the potential buyer is a member of Net54. :D

vthobby
08-24-2020, 12:08 AM
NEVER! Stay away. Keep your card.

Peace, Mike

egbeachley
08-24-2020, 05:25 AM
Maybe the buyer is inexperienced but honest. Suggest paying with PayPal Friends and Family?

Yoda
08-24-2020, 01:23 PM
If it is a high value card and you really like it, you will suffer double sellers remorse if the deal goes south, which is a serious bummer. Don't do it.

Jim65
08-24-2020, 08:16 PM
Ebay states that a buyer cannot have "buyer's remorse" for a reason to return but ignores it.

If a seller accepts returns, "buyers remorse" or "changed my mind" are legitimate returns but buyer is forced to pay the return shipping, unless seller offers free returns.

Case12
08-25-2020, 09:42 AM
Doesn't the buyer pay before the seller ships? Don't ship till money is in the bank?

Jim65
08-25-2020, 10:29 AM
Doesn't the buyer pay before the seller ships? Don't ship till money is in the bank?

I think he's worried about them pulling a scam like filing a return and sending back an empty box or saying the seller shipped a different card and filing a "Item not as described" claim.