PDA

View Full Version : "best" way to send cards

BruceinGa
08-20-2020, 03:00 PM
I sent a small box of T206's today via UPS Ground with insurance and the total was $124.
I just calculated shipping the same box on USPS.com and the price for Priority flat rate Registered with insurance was $40.50.
Am I missing anything? (Hopefully not my cards :o )

MikeGarcia
08-20-2020, 03:12 PM
I sent a small box of T206's today via UPS Ground with insurance and the total was $124.
I just calculated shipping the same box on USPS.com and the price for Priority flat rate Registered with insurance was $40.50.

..was UPS made aware that old baseball cards were in that box ?? And they accepted money for UPS " insurance " . ??

Directly
08-20-2020, 03:13 PM
USPS registered mail is transferred through the system under lock and key.

Why such a different in price, did you require UPS to have signature to deliver.

Did you go directly to UPS or a Contracted UPS store front which may be double the fee?

swarmee
08-20-2020, 03:32 PM
And they accepted money for UPS " insurance " . ??
I thought FEDEX was the one that would sell you $10,000 in insurance and then pay out only $1,000 since that's the max limit in their policy for collectibles...

BruceinGa
08-20-2020, 03:45 PM
USPS registered mail is transferred through the system under lock and key.

Why such a different in price, did you require UPS to have signature to deliver.

Did you go directly to UPS or a Contracted UPS store front which may be double the fee?
yes, asked for signature. Contracted UPS store front.

BruceinGa
08-20-2020, 03:46 PM
..was UPS made aware that old baseball cards were in that box ?? And they accepted money for UPS " insurance " . ??

Yes, they asked what I was shipping and I told them baseball cards.

Tao_Moko
08-20-2020, 04:02 PM
I have a UPS Capital flex policy which covers high value shipments. It's very inexpensive and has always paid out when needed. My annual spend is also about $400k so not sure how that works for persons shipping cards. May be worth looking into.

BruceinGa
08-21-2020, 12:30 PM
I just left the post office. Mailed in a Priority medium flat rate box, Registered with signature confirmation and $10,000 insurance. $47.30 with a delivery date of Monday.
One odd thing, they wouldn't allow box tape. All openings/seams must use gummed brown tape.

bobbyw8469
08-21-2020, 12:32 PM

Insurance must be high thru UPS. If you are ever sending ANYTHING of value, USPS Registered Mail is the way to go. Might be slow...but it is secure.

pawpawdiv9
08-21-2020, 01:13 PM
Yep, anything sent registered thru USPS--you must use the brown gum tape.
I had to do that several times--on all seams.
In fact, bought a roll myself. Just wet it and stick it. Sometimes you get a nice clerk to do it in front of you at no charge with their tape.

BTW- My recent experience with FEDEX- i had a next day package for a small car part in a bag...They decided to put it on a windshield(under wiper) on one of my cars in the driveway. Lazy assholes!!!!

Leon
08-23-2020, 03:58 PM
I just left the post office. Mailed in a Priority medium flat rate box, Registered with signature confirmation and $10,000 insurance. $47.30 with a delivery date of Monday.
One odd thing, they wouldn't allow box tape. All openings/seams must use gummed brown tape.

That doesn't sound that bad for that much insurance included. All the registered I have sent (*and i think all registered) require that brown tape.

bobbyw8469
08-25-2020, 06:02 AM
I tried to use brown tape before (imagine just like clear 3M packing tape....but brown). I was quickly told that was incorrect - that is MUST be the gummed brown "paper" tape.

BruceinGa
08-25-2020, 09:28 AM
I tried to use brown tape before (imagine just like clear 3M packing tape....but brown). I was quickly told that was incorrect - that is MUST be the gummed brown "paper" tape.

Correct, I also asked the clerk and he said no "plastic" tape.
I just bought a roll of reinforced kraft gummed tape at Grainger, $11.

icurnmedic
08-25-2020, 03:24 PM
Sent a package w/ insurance via USPS website once. NC to Beckett. With $5k insurance which was all I could get online even though value was more like $6000, and priority mail, cost $88. Package went missing in Dallas ,I believe ( whichever hub is nearest Beckett). Filed a claim, had to "prove" the contents value, Basically where I had printouts from where I had bought some of the items online. Ended up receiving roughly $4500 from USPS . The teller at the PO says, " wonder how much it would have cost to ship that registered"? Calculated $5k insurance , still priority , Would have been $33. He said b/c the package is signed for every time it changes hands, the insurance is basically "free" .

I know whenever I ship anything of value now, it goes registered.

The paper tape is so no-one can remove the date/red stamp that they use on all edges and seems.

buymycards
08-25-2020, 03:42 PM

You have to use tape that is porous on the outside so the red USPS stamp can be placed on it. Every seam is stamped to prevent someone from opening the package and then resealing it. It doesn't have to be gummed tape. Adhesive tape is fine as long as the other side of the tape will absorb ink.

icollectDCsports
08-25-2020, 04:12 PM
You have to use tape that is porous on the outside so the red USPS stamp can be placed on it. Every seam is stamped to prevent someone from opening the package and then resealing it. It doesn't have to be gummed tape. Adhesive tape is fine as long as the other side of the tape will absorb ink.

Good to know. Thanks for the explanation.

BruceinGa
08-25-2020, 05:48 PM

I figured there must be a good reason, thanks.

Leon
08-28-2020, 12:35 PM
I figured there must be a good reason, thanks.

From my understanding jewelers use registered mail to send diamonds. Overnight is pretty safe too....

chalupacollects
08-28-2020, 05:46 PM
I only use USPS overnight or registered. Insured... Registered actually includes up to $25k in free insurance because the risk is so low...Overnight is good also since less hands touch package. My local LCS uses UPS and they regularly misplace high dollar packages and he has that large policy program also...

notfast
08-29-2020, 08:59 AM
My go to is priority express. 1-2 days just about everywhere. Cost $25ish. Get a collectibles insurance policy and you are covered that way.

Just sold some stuff yesterday morning, dropped at USPS around 9:30am in Maryland, delivered to Ohio at 10:30 this morning.

Can’t beat that service for the price.

bobbyw8469
08-29-2020, 09:02 AM
Registered actually includes up to $25k in free insurance because the risk is so low.

This is actually NOT true. I sent enough Reigstered to know. You PAY for whatever you value your package at. That determines the price.